We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Stop all the solo quest walls.

Quote Originally Posted by TouTheou View Post
    It would be cool if we could stay grouped while everyone went into and came out of separate solo quests.
    There has to be a better way.

Separate simultaneous instances hasn't worked for us (vent isn't enough). When one person fails a instance the whole group waits as they redo it. The failed person feels bad for holding up the group. We can't help much if we don't see the soloer's action. Not fun to wait or be waited on. We all want to succeed or fail together, or skip on to the group content.
    Last edited by emirikol; Mar 05 2010 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emirikol View Post
    One person would do the quest for everyone while they watch in spectator mode. Everyone would get credit for the solo quest.
    I don't like that at all.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

Quote Originally Posted by auximenes View Post
    I don't like that at all.
    Great, expand on why.

And give a solution to groups being blocked from group content by these solo-walls.
    Last edited by emirikol; Mar 05 2010 at 06:31 PM.

Why should anyone be able to get credit for watching someone else run the quest?
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

Quote Originally Posted by Vastin View Post
    What MadeOfLions said.

When we place you in a guaranteed solo instance, we can make a whole different set of assumptions about how the space is going to be traversed than when we are making it for 2 or more players.

[etc etc]
    In case you missed it, though this suggestions seems to have resurfaced in the last few pages:
    Quote Originally Posted by Althaea View Post
    It would be nice if the tech supported players running separate solo instances while remaining in a fellowship; if only to avoid this kind of frustration.
    This is the ideal situation for me. I HATE the solo instances simply because we have to break group. It's not the reforming afterward that's frustrating, though that is annoying, it's the removal of communication (we don't have, nor want, Vent). Drop us into individual solo instances but let us stay grouped up with /f chat and voice. You have the control over the instance like you want, but we still have the feeling of playing together, and more importantly can keep on chatting.

Quote Originally Posted by Thane9 View Post
    Seriously though. Did Anyone not just stroll through this last book?

I can't even imagine needing to use a cooldown or a consumable to complete it all.
    I had to drink a power pot. Caught a group of respawns mid fight and didn't feel like waiting the 2 minutes for them to beat me down to 50% morale so i could regen power.
    [CENTER] Level 65 Hunter // Level 65 Warden // Level 65 Captain // Level 65 Lore Master // Level 65 Champion
    Level 65 Minstrel // Level 65 Burglar // Level 65 Rune Keeper // Level 50 Guardian
    [COLOR=Lime]Ongbú[/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]rz Tracker[/COLOR] says, "Stop hittin' me, you slug!"
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by SgtAnderso View Post
    Making some of the Epic Storyline Quests from Solo to Group will ruin the story. How would they explain why 6 people are standing there when only 1 is supposed to be there. Should be real interesting.
    This already occurs in reverse if you solo the group instances in Volume I. The NPC's will address you in plural, even though its just you.

I'm kinda split on the subject, because I've been on both ends of it. I like what they did with the group instances to let us finish them out solo. Its kinda reignited my interest in the story. On the other hand, I know it can be frustrating when you do finally get a group together, only to come up on a quest that can only be done solo.

I also find it funny that months ago, there were complaints about forced grouping. Now, its forced soloing. Just shows you really cant please everyone, all the time.

Lets call it what it really is: skill gating. If you're not good enough, you don't advance, until you get good enough. I'll be honest here, I had trouble with some of the solo-only quests. I took a look at what i was doing, and figured out what to do better. Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.

But that's not really what this thread is about. There should be an option for those who want to stay grouped, for whatever reason. Just like they gave the soloers an option to complete the group quests.
    'Gott weiss ich will kein Engel sein'
    the Ministry

A RL friend who also plays the game set up a personal chat channel for a few of us to use (in addition to our Kinship chat) privately. When we have to split up for soloes, we use that. Yes, it can be difficult to describe where you are and what you're doing, but it gets better with practice. If you're in a kinship, use kinship chat (explain to the rest of the kin what you're doing ahead of time). Or if you have no kin, but lots of alts, make your own kinship and use those chat channels. Yes, you still have to type. Can't help you with that.

Why on earth do you not want Vent? Perhaps cost .... other than that, it is SO much clearer and adjustable than in-game chat!

Oh, and I just remembered, I used to get on the phone with the RL friend and talk while we were playing, whether forced soloes, off on different sides of the country, or grouped up but still wanting to talk about the game and other things. But we are in the same city, so it was free local calls.

None of those are perfect, but they've helped me get through some problematic situations.
    Linden Starfall, Leader of Mithril Crowns of Elendilmir and Arkenstone

And so once again I put the question to Turbine: why not make it an option to either solo or group the books? They already do it it with skirmishes, why not with this? This is the only way I see them pleasing everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by fateHibari View Post
    And so once again I put the question to Turbine: why not make it an option to either solo or group the books? They already do it it with skirmishes, why not with this? This is the only way I see them pleasing everyone.
    Two devs have answered that question in this thread already. However, the entire Volume 1 storyline is now exactly that, solo or group in whatever numbers you can muster. Volumes 2 and 3 are not planned to be revised in this way.
    Arda Shrugged:Elendilstone

There has to be a better way.

Separate simultaneous instances hasn't worked for us (vent isn't enough). When one person fails a instance the whole group waits as they redo it. The failed person feels bad for holding up the group. We can't help much if we don't see the soloer's action. Not fun to wait or be waited on. We all want to succeed or fail together, or skip on to the group content.
    I guess I just like the solo quests enough that it isnt a big issue to me. They are usually a cool part of the story, and I LOVE the "special toon" session play ones, where you play a non-player class unique skill set. I haven't seen any long instances of having to wait among my kinmates. Guess my experience hasnt made me share the sentiment so far.

(off topic, I want a troll session play quest, repeatable with lots of fodder! ) I love the Moors trolls, but people get mad when someone rolls one. I've only done it once. /cry
    Angarain Erain Kinship, Vilya
    Mikros 100 Guard, Chumli 100 hunter, Oggo 75? burg, Wasape 100 beorning (and a bunch of other alts and creep-side toons)

Quote Originally Posted by gildhur View Post
    Two devs have answered that question in this thread already. However, the entire Volume 1 storyline is now exactly that, solo or group in whatever numbers you can muster. Volumes 2 and 3 are not planned to be revised in this way.
    Not to nitpick, but I assume the solo-only quests in Vol 1 are still solo-only. They made group quests soloable, not the other way around.

You are definitely correct that the devs have answered the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Vastin View Post
    What MadeOfLions said.

When we place you in a guaranteed solo instance, we can make a whole different set of assumptions about how the space is going to be traversed than when we are making it for 2 or more players.

That, and to be blunt we don't always want you to be able to trivialize the difficulty of content by zerging an instance as a group. In some cases we don't mind that - in others we do.

On landscape that must always be the assumption, but in instances we're sometimes intentionally setting a bar that requires more than just effort - skill and preparedness can be a factor as well.

Generally speaking, players stop learning and improving without occasionally facing adversity that must be overcome. On a similar tack, adventure should not always be entirely convenient or one gradually ceases to gain any fulfillment from it.

But still, it is more about what MadeOfLions said originally - when we can guarantee that a single player is the center of attention for a time, then the story telling tools available to us become much more powerful.
    And most of us appreciate it. Thanks for those "I am the center of attention" instances. As far as facing the difficulty level? "Please sir may I have some more" .... ooops wrong book. Bring on more like "Death From Below"
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000000bc65f/01001/signature.png]Shumgrin[/charsig]
    Shumgrin Guard/explorer Bookman, LM/Scholar; Phetchit, Gelt, and others:
    All that is required for evil to succeed is for good man to do nothing.

We play as a group, and we decided not to do any solo's. They're to Torturous to our group fun.
    If the Books are made up of solo's, we aren't going to do them. No biggie there is other stuff to do.
    We all have alt's blocked from entry into Mirkwood, because it's walled off by a solo quest.
    We all have alt's blocked from doing Skirmishes, because it's walled off by 2 solo tutorials.

We suffered through those solo's on our MAINS, to get into Mirkwood and Skimishes, but our 8 ALT's are stuck behind those solo-walls. Normally when we start to getting bored on our mains we switch to alt's, but because of these "solo walls" we're looking at other games.

Remove the solo walls from entry into Mirkwood and the Skimishes.

Let groups play the group content
    Last edited by emirikol; Mar 14 2010 at 12:38 PM.

We play as a group, and we decided not to do any solo's. They're to Torturous to our group fun.
    If the Books are made up of solo's, we aren't going to do them. No biggie there is other stuff to do.
    We all have alt's blocked from entry into Mirkwood, because it's walled off by a solo quest.
    We all have alt's blocked from doing Skirmishes, because it's walled off by 2 solo tutorials.

We suffered through those solo's on our MAINS, to get into Mirkwood and Skimishes, but our 8 ALT's are stuck behind those solo-walls. Normally when we start to getting bored on our mains we switch to alt's, but because of these "solo walls" we're looking at other games.

Remove the solo walls from entry into Mirkwood and the Skimishes.

Let groups play the group content
    How did you get into Moria without doing solo quests?

Quote Originally Posted by Eliel View Post
    You can't. You actually can't even start the game at all without doing solo instances, since the very first time your character enters the world it's in a solo instance, even if you skip the intro after that.
    Arda Shrugged:Elendilstone

Quote Originally Posted by Eliel View Post
    Hated doing the entry solo's to moria. I think I've done that 11 times now, maybe more.

You actually can't even start the game at all without doing solo instances, since the very first time your character enters the world it's in a solo instance, even if you skip the intro after that.
    Hated doing the solo at level 1. But atleast they put a skip-Tutorial/skip-Intro for that. Wasn't a solo wall after that till Moria. With Mirkwood theres so many solo-walls we don't want to bother with our alts, time to find a new game.

We're 25th level on Aion, no solo walls yet. No solo tutorials. Been grouped the whole time. Aion isn't ideal, but at least we can play as a group.
    Last edited by emirikol; Mar 15 2010 at 12:14 AM.

I don't get it. They take maybe 10 minutes each at most. Even if you don't like running anything solo, you'd rather not invest those few minutes in order to open up Skirmishes?

Quote Originally Posted by auximenes View Post
    I don't get it. They take maybe 10 minutes each at most. Even if you don't like running anything solo, you'd rather not invest those few minutes in order to open up Skirmishes?
    If it is only 10 minutes for each alt, so 90 minutes. For 6 ppl that's 540 minutes of ppl doing something they hate, just so they can get past a solo-walls and play the group content. Versus 6 ppl having fun together for 90 minutes. Blocking group content with solo-walls is a bad idea. Putting group content behind a solo-wall should be carefully considered before doing it, because your blocking groups.

Block the books all you like, we don't need to do those. But don't block landscape (as in block entry to Moria and Mirkwood) and block things you want groups to do, like skirmishes.

One solo-wall between 1-50 and its skipable(good design). One at 50-60(bad). Three for 61-65(omg bad) Plus the books all start with a solo. There's a trend here that has made the game unplayable to us as a group.
    Last edited by emirikol; Mar 15 2010 at 01:04 PM.

I guess I just can't get my head around how your group cannot enjoy doing anything on their own once in a while.

Hard for me to understand as well. I guess some folk just don't like the challenge of doing stuff entirely dependent on their own resources.

I always had the exact opposite problem, with soloable stuff hidden behind group quest walls. Thanks to Orion for starting solve this.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by mjk47 View Post
    I always had the exact opposite problem, with soloable stuff hidden behind group quest walls. Thanks to Orion for starting solve this.
    Hear hear! That's what I thought this thread was about (from the title).

"There are many powers in the world, for good and for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming. "

If it is only 10 minutes for each alt, so 90 minutes. For 6 ppl that's 540 minutes of ppl doing something they hate, just so they can get past a solo-walls and play the group content. Versus 6 ppl having fun together for 90 minutes. Blocking group content with solo-walls is a bad idea. Putting group content behind a solo-wall should be carefully considered before doing it, because your blocking groups.

Block the books all you like, we don't need to do those. But don't block landscape (as in block entry to Moria and Mirkwood) and block things you want groups to do, like skirmishes.

One solo-wall between 1-50 and its skipable(good design). One at 50-60(bad). Three for 61-65(omg bad) Plus the books all start with a solo. There's a trend here that has made the game unplayable to us as a group.
    I understand the problems with solo instances derailing things in the middle of a grouped epic chain.

But the skirmish tutorials are something you can do at any time, not just when you're "on the clock" with your buddies.

What do you do when you hit 15 and 30? Just do without the skills and gear from your respective class quests? Does anybody in your group have a fast horse??

"There are many powers in the world, for good and for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming. "

Quote Originally Posted by NotYetMeasured View Post

What do you do when you hit 15 and 30? Just do without the skills and gear from your respective class quests?
    Didn't do the solo class quests. When it's a solo we can skip, we skip.

Does anybody in your group have a fast horse??
    The horse tutorial? You can deliver the horses as a group. Everyone clicks on the race at the same time and you all run around it in "landscape" together (it's not a solo instance).

We like the 150 rep goats.

But the skirmish tutorials are something you can do at any time, not just when you're "on the clock" with your buddies.
    Didn't need to do the tutorial once. Let alone, once per alt. Needs a skip button. Keep the warrior reward for those that want to do the solo. Don't block groups from group content with a solo-wall. There shouldn't be a solo-wall blocking a whole facet of the game that is designed for groups.

The point of this game, to us, is to play together.
    Last edited by emirikol; Mar 15 2010 at 09:36 PM.

So NONE of your characters have ANY of the traits from the 15 and 30 class quests?
    This is off topic.
    A champ really doesn't need Heavy Shield. And when a capt's bumping you to 15% crit w/o Vicious Strike, there are better traits.

But yes, we did the good ones.
    Those class quests aren't blocking a chain of group quests. They're optional, which is all good.

Remind me never to group with you guys.
    Champions are so rare too, bummer.
    Last edited by emirikol; Mar 15 2010 at 10:49 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast