We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Stop all the solo quest walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Vastin View Post
    Tsk. You know, Aragorn brought a 5-man team into his solo Weathertop instance and just ended up having to carry the whole thing anyway.

Worst... pug... ever!

As for hitting the solo story wall, I think several folks have some reason to be pretty bitter on that front. I mean, seriously:

Thorin organized an entire 14-man raid before he realized that the first half of the Lonely Mountain instance was solo-only - and pretty much impossible for anyone but a burglar.

The rest of the raid ended up having to sit and twiddle their thumbs for days until the idiot burg finally beat the damn quest and opened up the storyline they needed to move on to the next stage of the encounter.

Almost as bad as when the devs forced Frodo and Sam to disband their two-man questing fellowship in the middle of Cirith Ungol and made them run several hours of crazy statted solo-blocker instances before they could reform and move into the new Mordor expansion.

<shakes head>
    Sarcasm? Really?

We play as a group. Ignore us and make content the way you like. We aren't having fun. We'll find a new game that caters to groups.
    Last edited by emirikol; Mar 04 2010 at 09:22 PM.

Don't let the door hit your @ss on the way out....

Quote Originally Posted by emirikol View Post
    Sarcasm? Really?

We play as a group. Ignore us and make content the way you like. We aren't having fun. We'll find a new game that caters to groups.
    What? Ignored? Yeah, okay, because you totally haven't gotten a fair few Dev responses in this thread. You've been given perfectly legitimate reasons for why there are "Solo Quest Walls".

You're just upset because throwing a tantrum hasn't gotten them begging you guys to stay and change content for you.

Like I said. We're a group. We'll find something we can play together.

Enjoy.

yes please -- the solo quest walls are highly highly annoying. Many of them have NO reason to be solo (story or otherwise). I don't mind a solo when necessary for the story (although hard pressed to think of any that currently ARE necessary)...but do NOT like having to regroup when working with a group.

Quote Originally Posted by Thane9 View Post
    What "solo" material are you talking about that is challenging even in the slightest?
    The one that the OP is talking about. Some of his six are wait-spinning because not all of them are capable of completing the solo instance successfully, on the first try.

Wasn't it challenging for you in the slightest?

Well, it appears Turbine has to work with a playerbase charted across a wide range of proficiency. I know of people who still can't manage the Death from Below solo daily quest.

Sorry, but I call shenanegans to the idea that you're putting solo quests in to challenge anyone. That may be the theory....but we're not challenged. I assure you.
    That wasn't the idea Turbine has expressed at all in the preceeding "dev post."
    [CENTER][SIZE=2][FONT=palatino linotype]Genifer, Helle, Zorzini, Borniveth, Wellwyn, Nothgyth, Saxwis
    [/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=2][FONT=palatino linotype]SHADOWBANE | Landroval
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Angadan View Post
    Best PvMP small fellowship of all time, though: Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli...cappy, hunter, and guard, ready and willing to take on 2 full raids of orcs!
    I'm pretty sure they were running with Inspired Greatness...
    [center][size=-1][color=#00dddd]Dividion - Lore-Master - Level 100[/color]
    [color=#33aa33]Brandywine Server[/color]
    [url=http://gloryseekers.org][color=#ddaa33]www.GlorySeekers.org[/color][/url]
    [url=https://www.youtube.com/user/Kyzgar][color=#dd3333]My LotRO Videos[/color][/url][/size][/center]

On a more constructive note: Turbine, you ought to consider structuring your storytelling so that it culminates in a series of group quests as works its way to the climax, rather than peppering the group quests across the narrative gamut.

Much like Volume 2, Books 5 and 6, if I recall correctly.
    [CENTER][SIZE=2][FONT=palatino linotype]Genifer, Helle, Zorzini, Borniveth, Wellwyn, Nothgyth, Saxwis
    [/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=2][FONT=palatino linotype]SHADOWBANE | Landroval
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/CENTER]

How long have you people been playing MMO's? Seriously? It takes all of 30 seconds to reform a group, assuming you know your neck from your elbow. Have you never been on large scale raids, or had anyone go LD? It takes NO time to re-group.

The devs have said, they have a tool set that allows for a richer, more personalized and engrossing method to tell a story, and create a more immersive game, but to take full advantage you need to do it solo. For the ones I've done these are easy, to the point of being cut-scenes (albeit amazing ones)

And this is a small % of the quests in game, and just happen to be the most important to telling a good story.

Your real complaint (under completely unoriginal subtlety) is that MMO's are getting easier and more catered to a very casual player base. You are both correct, and about 5 years late to the fight, but pick your battles. Don't ask them to make cheesier games so you can avoid an inconvenience.

We all want more content for our play-styles and guess what, the devs probably do too.

Quote Originally Posted by Drglory View Post
    Acording to LOTRO Aragorn is a Warden, Legolas is a hunter, and Gimli is a Champion that never bought his Bow use skill at lvl 20...
    In the book, after the battle of the Pelennor Fields, Aragorn is called a lore-master and captain of war (by the herbalist guy in the houses of healing). But I think King = All classes combined, since he's obviously a skilled hunter, porting the hobbits to Rivendell, tracking orcs, etc. and his healing skills are definitely on par with a minstrel. He probably has all the crafting professions too, since he makes his own athelas pots.
    As for Gimli, I don't think he had the pack space with all those axes he was carrying. Maybe he had to lose it when they let Bill the Pony go...
    [center][size=-1][color=#00dddd]Dividion - Lore-Master - Level 100[/color]
    [color=#33aa33]Brandywine Server[/color]
    [url=http://gloryseekers.org][color=#ddaa33]www.GlorySeekers.org[/color][/url]
    [url=https://www.youtube.com/user/Kyzgar][color=#dd3333]My LotRO Videos[/color][/url][/size][/center]

Seriously though. Did Anyone not just stroll through this last book?

I can't even imagine needing to use a cooldown or a consumable to complete it all.

Are you honestly saying people did? Really? Who are these people? Can you list their names. I'd be happy to help them out.
    I belong to this group. I had trouble today doing the orcs in that cave in Trollshaws with my level 65 champion. After almost dying to a warrior defiler group. I ate a stat and a morale/power food to get through it.

Foros is not Thane uber. If Turbine designs all the content to your high standards, the game will become NOT fun to me. NOT fun - leads to boredom - leads to me finding a different game to play.

The reason I came to this game was that my previous game decided to cater the vast majority of the content in the updates to the groupies that liked extremely challenging content.

Ultimately, I am not sure what to do about this. You got conflicting desires:

1) Turbine creates some difficult group content. It gets ignored by people that do find it appealing. If this content in the Epic line like 2.5.5, they are locked out.

2) Turbine creates solo instance content. You are faced with doing it alone. Some people can not solo content or have a lot of trouble. A level 65 hunter in my kin logged out today unhappy - died on the solo instance in book 9 in the scuttledells. You can not walk them through it. You can not build a group around them carry like you can in a six person instance.

3) More situations.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Mar 05 2010 at 12:07 AM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesto View Post
    In the books...Aragorn is called a lore-master and captain of war...But I think King = All classes combined, since he's obviously a skilled hunter...and his healing skills are definitely on par with a minstrel...
    ^ This. We all want Aragorn to be _our_ class, because he's so uberly cool (except for the people who want Gandalf to be their class, mostly RKs and LMs!, and those pesky burgs who don't care if ANYone is their class, they're too cool for that!)...and Aragorn does show signs of a lot of classes: warden for the protection he gave the Shire all those years...cappy for the oathbbreakers and leadership roles...hunter because he's called that explicitly in the books, and as Majesto said...guardian for his protective stand (more in the books than the movies, I feel)...champ for his melee fighting talents...mini because the hands of the King are the hands of a healer (though he only sings or recites poetry in Sindarin or Quenya, it seems!). So I think Majesto is right, as King he gets to = any classes he wants lol.

(then again, the Cappy is THE class that brings together leadership, healing, protection of others, and melee combat...so I still vote for that fitting Aragorn best heehee)

Quote Originally Posted by thesilverfox View Post
    How long have you people been playing MMO's? Seriously? It takes all of 30 seconds to reform a group, assuming you know your neck from your elbow. Have you never been on large scale raids, or had anyone go LD? It takes NO time to re-group.
    Disband for a solo instance? NO!
    Playing together is the fun. We hated every solo, because we where apart and blind to each other. Doesn't matter what the content was, it sucked because we wheren't playing together. Soloing to enter Mirkwood, the 2 solo tutorials for skirmishes, Vol 2 and 3.

The devs have said, they have a tool set that allows for a richer, more personalized and engrossing method to tell a story, and create a more immersive game, but to take full advantage you need to do it solo.
    Great, make the solo quests. There's no reason to block group content with a solo-wall.
    Example: Skirmishes, blocked with 2 solo-wall tutorials. Didn't need to do these quests once, let alone the 18 times we're each suppose to do them on our alts, ALONE!
    Also, isn't entry into Mirkwood blocked to groups by a solo quest?

And this is a small % of the quests in game, and just happen to be the most important to telling a good story.
    Small? Vol 2.9 and 3 both start with solo-walls. Skirmishes blocked. Mirkwood blocked.
    6 of 20 chapters in Vol 2.9 was a solo-wall.
    Last edited by emirikol; Mar 05 2010 at 12:42 PM.

Also, isn't entry into Mirkwood a solo quest?
    Uh.... no?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000000b3969/01007/signature.png]Minarfin[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Rasalhague View Post
    Don't forget Boromir rage-quit because he couldn't get passed the solo, "Protect the Hobbits" instance.
    No wai! Boromir was a ninja-looter and was going to get booted by Aragorn anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Golledhel View Post
    Uh.... no?
    Um. Yes. lol.
    [COLOR=MediumTurquoise][/COLOR][B]Arda Shrugged[/B] [COLOR=MediumTurquoise][Arkenstone][/COLOR]

Also, isn't entry into Mirkwood a solo quest?
    More accurately, it's a group of quest strings that are all solo, but your point is well made--you can solo your way into Mirkwood, yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Angadan View Post
    More accurately, it's a group of quest strings that are all solo, but your point is well made--you can solo your way into Mirkwood, yep.
    There's a forced solo instance to exit the Mirkwood landing.

At least, I think it's still forced solo. I think they originally designed it to allow groups, but made it solo-only at launch, because the group version of the instance was unstable.

And, of course, that cycles back around to exactly why they make so many solo-only instances.

Talking Re: Stop all the solo quest walls.

OH I just can't wait for the DEVS to take a part of the LOTR Book that is truly Solo and make it a Group Fellowship in an Epic Storyline... Talk about Lore Breaking.

Making some of the Epic Storyline Quests from Solo to Group will ruin the story. How would they explain why 6 people are standing there when only 1 is supposed to be there. Should be real interesting.

As far as Death Down Below Solo Quest, I don't see how this is applies at all. It's a Solo Quests that is not apart of the Epic Storyline. If your in a group just don't do it until your done running quests with your group.

What's next Small Fellowship Walls? Heck while were at it just make all Solo Quests Group Friendly and All Fellowship and Raid Instances Solo Friendly then everyone will be happy...
    Kinship Officer - Keepers of Ayrshire, Landroval
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000001b8482/01004/signature.png]Ljmonkette[/charsig]
    65 Rune Keeper - 64 Hunter - 55 Mini - 52 Champ - 37 Burglar - 35 Champ - 25 RK - And a bunch of others...

So, no skirmishes, a solo tutorial blocks it.
    Don't you ever play when the whole group isn't on?

-Put the other 5 ppl in noncorporeal spectator mode so they can watch, Frap and talk, but not interfere with the action. Let the groups best or most willing take on the instance. (Examples of spectator modes as in: Quakes player cam, GW's Pvp stationary Cam.)
    -Or allow ppl to skip solo's. No reward, but they can continue in the quest chain. By passing the solo wall.
    You'd rather have to wait for each person to lead the 5 'ghosts' through the quest over breaking up and running it solo concurrently?

Also, I've almost never in favour of being able to skip a quest. I don't mind being able to skip Tutorials though, after you've completed them once.

I was terribly disappointed at how trivial this book was. Not just that it was a bunch of "go talk to" quests, but that these HUGE open instances were just populated with chump mobs being rolled over by the lowest common denominator players. Don't get me wrong...as always the storytelling aspect and "cool" factor were HIGH...but the gameplay and challenge...not even close. I think it's pretty clear that Turbine has choosen to make EVERYTHING in this game achievable by the most casual, least skillful, most whiny players.
    It was intended to be fairly easy, as it's the beginning of the Volume for one and the activities don't really dictate any epic fights do they? Your last quoted sentence is innapropriate and insulting.

Are you honestly saying people did? Really? Who are these people? Can you list their names. I'd be happy to help them out.
    Because unless they're disabled in some way, I honestly just can't see how this past book could've provided a skill challenge to anyone who has hit the level cap.
    And, more insults...

Quote Originally Posted by fett666 View Post
    but didn't it get TOUGHER on Frodo and Company the further south/southeast they traveled?
    And, which way are we travelling to round up these Rangers? Frankly, I don't expect the next Book to be that tough either, presumably taking us down towards Enedwaith. If they make it too tough, then many players will be left out of the Epic series, which they've said they wanted to ensure was more accessible.
    [CENTER][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]<< Co-founder of [I][U][SIZE="4"]The Firebrands of Caruja[/SIZE][/U][/I] on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir[/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by SgtAnderso View Post
    Making some of the Epic Storyline Quests from Solo to Group will ruin the story. How would they explain why 6 people are standing there when only 1 is supposed to be there. Should be real interesting.
    Okay, don't change change the solo's if it wrecks the story. But, don't block group content from groups.
    Or if you do want to block groups with solo-walls. Take care where you put the block.

Example: Making a Group skirmish that is only open to those that finish a Book consisting of solo-walls.

(Would it really matter in 2.9 if the solo's where all optional side quests that didn't block groups from doing the chain of the book?)

Quote Originally Posted by auximenes View Post
    Don't you ever play when the whole group isn't on?
    For a couple of minutes while ppl connect to vent. We don't like playing solo.

You'd rather have to wait for each person to lead the 5 'ghosts' through the quest over breaking up and running it solo concurrently?
    That was one suggestion.. One person would do the quest for everyone while they watch in spectator mode. Everyone would get credit for the solo quest.

Also, I've almost never in favour of being able to skip a quest. I don't mind being able to skip Tutorials though, after you've completed them once.
    Bypassing a quest AND reward. The option of doing it later.
    Last edited by emirikol; Mar 05 2010 at 06:04 PM.

We're grouped we're questing. Bam! Another freaking solo quest wall in the chain we're doing and we have to break up.

Seriously NOT FUN to breakup and reform every few quests.

There no reason you can't let 6 ppl go into a solo instance. You don't have to balance it for 6 ppl. Just let them go in and easy mode it.

SOLO INSTANCE=no limit on how many can go in! Solo difficulty!

When ppl say they want "more solo quests". They mean "Easier", as in "solo difficulty" that you can do solo or bring 2-6 ppl into when they want.

It's fine to make solo quests, but really uncool to not allow us all to go into the solo instances and continue doing the Quest Chain.

Allow 6 ppl to go into the solo's!
    yeah these can be an annoyance for the fellowship that plans on grinding on. i always thought that the very least they could do was allow us to enter while still in our fellowship even if everyone is inside their own private version of the instance. that way we can still use voice chat and text chat to help our buddies out and avoid boredom.

i really liked the idea of allowing the fellowship to choose a Champion who will face the solo instance on behalf of the rest of the group.

it would also be decent to allow players who have already completed a particular solo story quest to skip it for quest credit but no xp or rewards.

It would be cool if we could stay grouped while everyone went into and came out of separate solo quests. You wouldnt have to rebuild the group everytime and could still talk.
    Last edited by TouTheou; Mar 08 2010 at 07:11 PM. Reason: decided not to feed drama. removed part that had nothing to do with thread topic

Quote Originally Posted by Witch-King.of.BC View Post
    i really liked the idea of allowing the fellowship to choose a Champion who will face the solo instance on behalf of the rest of the group.
    And they could Frap and cheer or boo their chosen one.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast