We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Re: The Scholars Guide

Quote Originally Posted by DarkkHero View Post
    Due to Popular Demand:

The Scholars Guide has been Updated!
    Thanks for coming back and updating this!

I have an update of my own - I just noticed that dyes do not all take Huge Worm Eyes for mastery items now. Each tier of dyes shares it's mastery item for dyes with that of it's crafting lore.

Dirty Toad Eye
    Blackened Crawler Egg Sac
    Flawed Warg Ear
    Scarred Worm Eye
    Huge Worm Eye

To whichever Dev that saw fit to make this change, thank you!
    [RIGHT][COLOR=Orange][U]Literacy: It's not just for Lore-masters anymore![/U][/COLOR]

[I][B][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000015a1d/01000/signature.png]Keovar[/charsig][/B][/I][/RIGHT]

Great update.

In the FAQ, this sentence could use revision:

Once you've dyed a piece, you cannot remove that color dye
    You can now remove dyes jobs with "Dye Wash," a vendor item.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
    Great update.

In the FAQ, this sentence could use revision:

You can now remove dyes jobs with "Dye Wash," a vendor item.
    Well, it tends to turn the item green instead of grey or it's default color.
    [RIGHT][COLOR=Orange][U]Literacy: It's not just for Lore-masters anymore![/U][/COLOR]

[I][B][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000015a1d/01000/signature.png]Keovar[/charsig][/B][/I][/RIGHT]

Oh really? That's good to know. I haven't had any trouble so far with the few pieces I've "washed," but I'll be more cautious in the future. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
    Oh really? That's good to know. I haven't had any trouble so far with the few pieces I've "washed," but I'll be more cautious in the future. Thanks.
    Perhaps it was fixed recently (which would be rather quick of them), but there were multiple posts about that happening. I saw them on the Dev Tracker, but I didn't save links or anything.

New t5 node locations in Forochel: Icereave Mines and the ruins high up on the ice.....can't remember the name. Also, lots of mat changes in book 13.
    Harl - Minstrel - Cliff Divers of Middle Earth - Arkenstone
    Ain't no mountain high enough...
    Mis-adventure is better than no adventure at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Harlinator View Post
    New t5 node locations in Forochel: Icereave Mines and the ruins high up on the ice.....can't remember the name. Also, lots of mat changes in book 13.
    There's also some T5 nodes in The Lonesome Stones, just west of Pynti-peldot. Found some in the Ironspan too.
    Last edited by harrisos; Jun 13 2008 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Forgot Ironspan locations :(
    --
    Perivane - level 54 Elf Loremaster Historian, Silverlode.

2 Harrow Rd, Ewefields, Shire (Landroval)

I know this will sound like a silly question but is there a limitation on what is dyeable?
    Categories such as Light/Med/Heavy armor, shields?, outfit pieces?
    Camuril Arthandir // Serendis // Duban Brightstone // Harel Hornwood // Romenar // Barza // Reigar // Menellach // Mereloth // Lorannon // Isildis // Romandil
    Elentiri, Bounders of the Shire, Glory of the Longbeards - Landroval Kinships

Quote Originally Posted by Tiramen View Post
    I know this will sound like a silly question but is there a limitation on what is dyeable?
    Categories such as Light/Med/Heavy armor, shields?, outfit pieces?
    Yes. Not everything can be dyed. It's dependent on the item and not the slot mostly I think. Like I have a heavy armour chest piece which can't be dyed just because of the default design, but I've seen other racial versions of the same armour dyed. So your best bet is to try it out, and it'll tell you if it can't be dyed.
    [CENTER] Level 65 Hunter // Level 65 Warden // Level 65 Captain // Level 65 Lore Master // Level 65 Champion
    Level 65 Minstrel // Level 65 Burglar // Level 65 Rune Keeper // Level 50 Guardian
    [COLOR=Lime]Ongbú[/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]rz Tracker[/COLOR] says, "Stop hittin' me, you slug!"
    [/CENTER]

I might be reviving a dead horse but all the same, Im a bit confused. when I joined my kinship they asked what my crafting would be. being an LM I thought it be kool to delve into historian... Scholar specificially so a fellow kinsman made me an Iron glass. (among other things I was given) I am now adventure level 37 and am wondering should I seek out an upgrade to that tool and if so where and how? I am proficent in apprentice and not quite made it to the 400 as Im at 364.
    Journeyman won't show up it just says Im proficient at it an in expert I am 278/360.
    I have been trying to get apprentice up to the 400 ( age scraps of text are hard to find)

since Im kinda new at the crafting thing (except in the old Star wars galaxies) so any tips ya'll can give that aren't in the guide I would appreciate alot and if it is in the guide and I missed it, a little direction as to where it is might be helpful as well.

Thanks so much!
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Samoya15 View Post
    I might be reviving a dead horse but all the same, Im a bit confused. when I joined my kinship they asked what my crafting would be. being an LM I thought it be kool to delve into historian... Scholar specificially so a fellow kinsman made me an Iron glass. (among other things I was given) I am now adventure level 37 and am wondering should I seek out an upgrade to that tool and if so where and how? I am proficent in apprentice and not quite made it to the 400 as Im at 364.
    Journeyman won't show up it just says Im proficient at it an in expert I am 278/360.
    I have been trying to get apprentice up to the 400 ( age scraps of text are hard to find)

since Im kinda new at the crafting thing (except in the old Star wars galaxies) so any tips ya'll can give that aren't in the guide I would appreciate alot and if it is in the guide and I missed it, a little direction as to where it is might be helpful as well.

Thanks so much!
    Sam
    Tools (Scholar's Glass, etc) are made by Metalsmiths, so you can either buy them on the Auction House, or have a friend/Kinmate make you one. Like most things, the Tools all have levels associated with them, and each give a bonus crit chance:
    Bronze = L1 -- 1%
    Iron = L13 -- 4% (?)
    Steel = L25 -- 10% (?)
    Dwarf-Iron = L35 -- 14%
    Ancient Iron = L45 -- 18%
    The crit chance adds to your base critical success chance when making recipes, but only after you've mastered that tier. So when you master Apprentice tier a tab ("Mastery") at the bottom of the crafting window should become clickable, there it will tell you your crit % chance and also let you add in additional ingredients to increase this % ('Huge Worm Eye', etc).
    When a Metalsmith has mastered their crafting tier they can make critical success tools too, which increases all those default values by 2%. So the maximum crit bonus you can get from a set of tools is 20% from the Superior Ancient Steel set.
    But like I said, these bonuses only come into effect when you've mastered a tier, so until you master the tier you're better off using the Iron tools you were given, since the crit% won't do anything for you and they Iron set is cheaper to repair.

At 37 you've moved out of the areas where you'll "stumble across" the resources you need to level, so you'll have to go looking for them. When you got your craft you also got a skill which tracks Scholar nodes, which if you haven't put it on your quickslot bar yet will be somewhere in your skills menu. When this is toggled on the scholar nodes (harvestable points) will show up on your mini-map and you can hunt them down easier.

Good places for tier 1 would be: Ered Luin, there are lots of ruins all over the map, the goblin camp that leads up to the gates of Sarnur is a great place since it has several possible spawn places and the goblins drop the scholar items too (plus they count for a deed). Or Bree-land, there are some ruins where you can find nodes, there are some in Midgewater Marshes... but overall I've found Ered Luin to be more plentiful.

Also, after your reach Proficient Apprentice (or Proficient any level) you need to talk to one of the Scholar vendors (in the crafting areas), they will give you a quest where you'll need to find an item and craft something, or do a favor for someone, after you finish these quests only then will the next tier open up for you.
    [CENTER] Level 65 Hunter // Level 65 Warden // Level 65 Captain // Level 65 Lore Master // Level 65 Champion
    Level 65 Minstrel // Level 65 Burglar // Level 65 Rune Keeper // Level 50 Guardian
    [COLOR=Lime]Ongbú[/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]rz Tracker[/COLOR] says, "Stop hittin' me, you slug!"
    [/CENTER]

Thank you so much for the very detailed explaination, It did help clarify things for me a bit more. I have been using the default glass until it needs repair as well as the Iron one till it needs repair, just to save a little time and effort of running back and forth to repair tools.
    I have been finding a few in the midgewater and as you said getting a few things off the gobbies as well. I have also done a Scholar quest for one of the elven scholars in Duilond...something bout a stchel and a balade...hehehe Im afraid to use the balade though as I feel that might come in more handy in a group instance of some sort in the near future.

Since you have been so helpful I would ask one more question of you.
    As I am hunting in the "higher" level area's are there any "odd" type items that do drop of mobs, like ears and mandibles and whatnot, that I should be hording...er collecting for future teir use?

Again Thank you for your response, you have been most helpful!

Sam

Eyes. Scholars' crit components are all eyes. See the summary on the lorebook's Scholar page.

Is there a Book 14 update in progress?

Regards,

Brad

Talking Re: The Scholars Guide

This is by far the best guide i have seen! i used this in beta and before the game came out when the lvl cap was to 20 i was already vastly accelerating towards Grand Master shortly after the release of the game and been mass producing items and making ALOT of gold because of this guide that made it all the much easier.. i recomend this to everyone that is taking up scholoring!

Arrow Re: The Scholars Guide

Due to popular demand, The Scholars Guide is being Updated. Please stay tuned!

Last edited by DarkkHero; Aug 20 2008 at 11:21 PM.

Don't forget orange dye!
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][COLOR=Magenta][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=2][COLOR=Plum][COLOR=Green][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420600000000139f/01006/signature.png]Ithilethiel[/charsig][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=White][SIZE=3]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]

One thing I just noticed today. To gain access and use the Superior Study in the Mathom house in Michel Delving, all that is required is Aquaintance standing. Wish I would have checked this out earlier would have saved me a few trips to RD.

Has anyone ever 'crunched the numbers' for the basic amount needed of each mat for each tier? There were some people doing this for the crafting guild specializations over on the MoM forums and it got me wondering if there is something similar for each tier? Im no mathematician and so wouldnt even attempt it.. but thought someone else did somewhere along the line?
    The reason im asking, is with these crafting guilds us Historians are in a bit of a bind in terms of which route to take; scholar or weaponsmith. In my mind its a semi-easy choice; weaponsmith is vastly harder to level up than scholar..plus theres the whole legendary weapons thing. So ive decided my new little RK will take up the duties of scholar-ing and while I have an extensive collection of almost every scholar mat, I have a feeling that they will no where near get me close to GM on this new alt in a quick period of time(ie to craft legendary books for my LM main).
    I am going to be honest, i did not go through the full 20 pages of this thread so it may be on here somewhere already. or if someone can point me in the right direction or just tell me that there is no such thing and with that many mats and craftable items its not possible to create an amount list. any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks.

6 Long Street, Bree-land Homesteads, Landroval, open to all

DarkkHero, why not put this in a wiki and we can all update it. Things have changed since Book 14 that are no longer accurate in your guide (for example, Red Dye requires Juicy Strawberries now, not Neekebreeker Ichor).

Quote Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
    DarkkHero, why not put this in a wiki and we can all update it. Things have changed since Book 14 that are no longer accurate in your guide (for example, Red Dye requires Juicy Strawberries now, not Neekebreeker Ichor).
    Yes, please do!

The Greater Athelas and Celebrants also now use [Torn Craftsman's Diary] NOT [2 Cracked Dwarf-Carving].

Hey i just changed to scholar vocation and googled some scholar guide to find this. VERY helpful but it looks like it hasn't been updated in quite some time. Is anybody working on this? With Moria out a HUGE update would be available...

I've started working on updating it and putting it up on the Lorebook.

is now Updated!

Sorry for the Delay, and Thanks for all the Suggestions!

Last edited by DarkkHero; Apr 11 2009 at 03:04 PM.

6 Long Street, Bree-land Homesteads, Landroval, open to all

Awesome, thanks!

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast