We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dear Wardens:How to fight in the Moors?

just what the title says.
    first of let me tell you my story.
    im a rank 2 lv 64 warden. I thought i was good, i been having a blast in the moors. But after spending the past 2 days on my own, i realized the only reason i was "good" was because i was in a Raid surrounded by good players. So i been going solo lately on my Warden around the Moors. And those of you who play there actively will probably know that traveling solo you will get attacked by a Warg. And thats whats been happening to me lately...a lot. The average Warg has about 7.5k Morale. When he stuns you he will usually takes down almost half your morale and your left to fight them with about 4.2k while they got 7.5k...but wait it gets better. Since our moves are from Gambits we have to land 3 or 4 moves before we can unleash something that will at least scratch the paint...but they run soooooooooo many circles around you thats its impossible to land a hit on them.

That kinda goes for all classes, not just wargs. Since every class has their moves loaded for them, all they have to do is hit the button and they unleash it, so running around in circles is no problem for them. We have to somehow find a way to land some hits to build up our gambit while their running laps around us like were the Daytona 500.

All i ask it is it possible to take a creep 1 on 1 that has probably about 2k more morale than you? Theoretically we should own in the Moors since we are the best solo class.....but then again i dont know anymore. Anyways how do you guys play it out in the Moors?
    R.I.P. Big L
    Big L-Put it On

Re: Dear Wardens:How to fight in the Moors?

I hear ya, can't go anywhere it seems.

You're using masteries, right? I just started trying to look for 1v1s and it does take a lot of practice. Start with your HoTs and keep reapplying them, use Javs for DPS when they're not in range, or in between attacks.
    Nerves, of the Brandywine.

Quote Originally Posted by geoboy View Post
    You're using masteries, right?
    i only got 2 so far
    R.I.P. Big L
    Big L-Put it On

Quote Originally Posted by Ryder004 View Post
    i only got 2 so far
    Essential for 1v1, get the other one and learn to use them. Also essential is shield capstone.

Two words for you: Mastery skills. You still have to melee to get it off, but you can get at least one or two gambits off without having to touch the creep to build the gambits.

That being said, if you do manage to take the warg down, they'll be yelling out on the creep OOC channel and you'll be kited and DoT'd down in short order when you try to run.

No, Wardens don't necessarily pwn in the Moors even though we're generally an awesome solo class, because creeps do what NPCs generally never do -- run away. Our range is lacking, so we can't engage in range wars like hunters, loremasters, minstrels, runekeepers, our stealth is **** so we can't go out with burglars, Conviction is nice but it's nothing even approaching how a Captain can buff/heal or how a Guardian can shield-wall (and survive being stunned with heavy armour) and we don't even begin to approach the damage (or suvivability) of a Champion. Wardens just don't do well in the Moors.

Some Wardens really like running with big groups, they focus on traited War-cry (up to 10 targets) and Desolation (up to 3 targets) to AoE fear casters to interrupt creep heals while tossing out Conviction. It's just not enough for me to feel like I'm really adding something to the group, though. All our javelin skills are nice -- I can get at least a few points of damage off on about every creep that dies so I leech more reknown from the raid than the poor guardians do, but I just don't like leeching reknown, I like to feel that I'm really earning it, so I don't go to the Moors anymore (and I haven't gone for months now, except with the Moors map so that I can horse out and be dropped off right by the Rivendell stables instead out in front of Rivendell when I'm trying to get down to south Eregion).
    As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he joined the Smaug The Dragon raid. Then he asked for leadership, looted the chest, assigned himself the 1st age Arkenstone and mailed it to an alt (Bilbo's a VIP so can mail from anywhere). They did some PvMP and an Epic Battle, then he apologized and gave the Arkenstone back. He kept the pony.

Don't forget to buy the stun and root pots in GV. I spent a month in the moors before I realized the quartermaster sold these, doh! I could have put up a better fight with these, lol. Anyway, I've been grouping lately and I've had fun using javs to debuff targets, nothing like hitting a creep running away with hampering jav, then WOF. Most of the time, hunters will get the Kb but I feel like i did something When both raids are going at it, I've had some success hanging in the back with the healers and picking off wargs that come looking for mini/Rk (mini) meat. Bad puppies! Great place to use careful step maxed legacy, ambush, shild piercer, wof, critical strike, etc. Not to mention all the mini love y'll get
    Standing still is bad, Movement is good, erratic even better cue up your mastered gambits and strafe targets. I run shield line when solo and spear line in the raid.
    Last edited by couillon; Feb 23 2010 at 12:58 AM.
    Landy, Brandy, & Riddermark [URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?412044-Riddermarks-cast-of-characters&highlight="]Riddermark's finest[/URL] and [URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?416597-Riddermark-Satire&highlight="]Riddermark satire [/URL]

I know this has nothing to do with the moors. But if you want to practice and become a better warden I highly reccomend running skirmishes alot. I wasn't a big fan of skirms at first but now I run them all the time when I get bored and have nothing to do, and they have made me so much better than what I was.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000137847/01008/signature.png]Maytrim[/charsig]

Question: On a 1v1, how do you stay in front of your opponent? Are you using keyboard controls to move (running cirles around your opponent) or using mouse turning to run thru your opponent and quickly do a 180?
    Landy, Brandy, & Riddermark [URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?412044-Riddermarks-cast-of-characters&highlight="]Riddermark's finest[/URL] and [URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?416597-Riddermark-Satire&highlight="]Riddermark satire [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by couillon View Post
    Question: On a 1v1, how do you stay in front of your opponent? Are you using keyboard controls to move (running cirles around your opponent) or using mouse turning to run thru your opponent and quickly do a 180?
    The pros use mouse turning and use the keyboard to strafe at the same time, or so I'm told. I've been trying but haven't got the hang of it yet.

I mostly strafe around the target, and try to get behind them. keep up desolation, and convitcion the best i can. seems to work in a 1v1 for me.

and in a group if i go invisable ppl have learned to follow me and get on my target, because its about to catch an ambush. Usually if you get stunned (sepecially for 5 seconds) you die.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/072060000000f9ba6/01007/signature.png]Nofatchx[/charsig]

Mouse strafing. Clickers do it best!

As for Dettox, masteries are essential

Quote Originally Posted by Iwillskoolu View Post
    Mouse strafing. Clickers do it best!

As for Dettox, masteries are essential
    So you use the mouse to strafe and the keyboard to turn then?

That's how I do it. The right mouse button is always held down when I'm going to town. Not that I'm promoting Moors fights as a Warden, quite the contrary, but that's how I mouselook and strafe.
    As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he joined the Smaug The Dragon raid. Then he asked for leadership, looted the chest, assigned himself the 1st age Arkenstone and mailed it to an alt (Bilbo's a VIP so can mail from anywhere). They did some PvMP and an Epic Battle, then he apologized and gave the Arkenstone back. He kept the pony.

Pardon my ignorance (it's been a long time since I've done PvMP, like, back before MoM), but isn't there a combat option to 'always follow' your combat target? Wouldn't that work in the 'Moors?

If checked, one would assume that it will auto-turn and move you to keep your opponent in front of you.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0220400000014448a/01007/signature.png]Bubujaja[/charsig]

So you use the mouse to strafe and the keyboard to turn then?
    i use WASD to turn, and always have my right hand on mouse click skills and strafing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryder004 View Post
    ...but they run soooooooooo many circles around you thats its impossible to land a hit on them.

That kinda goes for all classes, not just wargs. Since every class has their moves loaded for them, all they have to do is hit the button and they unleash it, so running around in circles is no problem for them. We have to somehow find a way to land some hits to build up our gambit while their running laps around us like were the Daytona 500.

All i ask it is it possible to take a creep 1 on 1 that has probably about 2k more morale than you? Theoretically we should own in the Moors since we are the best solo class.....but then again i dont know anymore. Anyways how do you guys play it out in the Moors?
    Okay only refrerring to the bottom half of the OP. Yes it is very possible, at least on my server... My question is why chase something that is running circles, back up! Better yet just strafe away, this will force them to run at you. Stop throw a hampering Jav, then you can run the circles. I had a bad habit of being the cat originally, but to win you don't have to chase. Both Reavers and Wargs aren't much of anything from range so there is no need to run after them. They will come from you.

On a side note, just as everyoen else said get your masteries...

Just wanted to say that having a -3 sec ambush induction on your javelin is sweet for the Moors...and the Range extender on your spear Your induction happens so much faster. Without it, I would never think of ambushing out of stealth. Last night was the first time I took advantage of it and only had 1 or 2 interrupted out of a dozen...and that's with me being all reckless/suicidal. Works really great with focus firing...5 secs of no BPE. I was suprised I had so much success with it. Anyway, I never gave this legacy much thought until I tried it out and was impressed.

Just wanted to say that having a -3 sec ambush induction on your javelin is sweet for the Moors...and the Range extender on your spear Your induction happens so much faster. Without it, I would never think of ambushing out of stealth. Last night was the first time I took advantage of it and only had 1 or 2 interrupted out of a dozen...and that's with me being all reckless/suicidal. Works really great with focus firing...5 secs of no BPE. I was suprised I had so much success with it. Anyway, I never gave this legacy much thought until I tried it out and was impressed.
    Agreed. I got stuck with leading a raid last week and timed some ranged hit/run with ambush and it worked like a charm.

Ambush + 5 ISB + 5 PS + WoF = 1 dead creep.

ps, we've still got to group up , couillon, you're pulling away from me in renown.

hehe, i tried the moors one day with the ol warden... picked up some quests from the quartermaster(i think), stood in awe of the general that has over 300k morale, then set out for my maiden voyage into the moors solo...

i was immediately jumped by 3 wargs and beaten to a bloody pulp

The funny thing is when i'm on my rvr ....the warden is one of the hardest class to kill do to the B P E and the Hots...What i would recommend is to get stun root pots and Try to out last the creep...if possible just keep the hots going and the slows they will after time run out of power...use your javelin the damage adds up....I think that if they want some infamy they are going to have to really work for it
    Graubaer
    'Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live and die on this day. Live and die on this day.'

ps, we've still got to group up , couillon, you're pulling away from me in renown.
    he he, I had incredible luck last night and i'm not irish call it luck of the cajun Agreed, send me a tell ingame, i'm usually on after 6-7pm, est, till 10-11ish. Zephn is another warden i've seen and of course the unstoppable Fallarden.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech6425 View Post
    ...then set out for my maiden voyage into the moors solo...
    i was immediately jumped by 3 wargs and beaten to a bloody pulp
    Hi Aanaros..remember me. I hope you won't be discouraged by that. If it's any comfort, it happens to creeps too....especially wargs b/c they, along with burgs, are probably the most hated classes in PvP and receive no quarter. There are things that you can do to lessen the chance of this happening...that's covered in the pvp forums. IMHO, group up before venturing out solo and never leave GV without stun and root removal potions.

Step one: Don't walk straight from GV to EC, or as I've heard it referred to: Death Valley. I usually run by the eagles and take a roundabout route to get out there.

We've got a weaver on B-wine that likes to grab a few other spiders and burrow in there.

Oh, and unfortunately, I'm checking in while you are checking out.
    Last edited by geoboy; Mar 18 2010 at 03:39 PM.

he he, I had incredible luck last night and i'm not irish call it luck of the cajun Agreed, send me a tell ingame, i'm usually on after 6-7pm, est, till 10-11ish. Zephn is another warden i've seen and of course the unstoppable Fallarden.

Hi Aanaros..remember me. I hope you won't be discouraged by that. If it's any comfort, it happens to creeps too....especially wargs b/c they, along with burgs, are probably the most hated classes in PvP and receive no quarter. There are things that you can do to lessen the chance of this happening...that's covered in the pvp forums. IMHO, group up before venturing out solo and never leave GV without stun and root removal potions.
    i do remember you... angmar wasnt the same after we left lol... its good to know about the pots i can get and ill look for a group next time i head out... guess i got spoiled by our pve style

Step one: Don't walk straight from GV to EC, or as I've heard it referred to: Death Valley. I usually run by the eagles and take a roundabout route to get out there. We've got a weaver on B-wine that likes to grab a few other spiders and burrow in there.
    Good Advice. And I used to think there was only one Death Valley, LSU Stadium on a Saturday night Take advantage of the mountain path from GV to Ost Ringdyr (OR) that's safe from creeps...it's just behind the Provisioner vendor that sells the root and stun removal pots. This path takes you near the OR entrance...from there you can go southwest to TR or north to cleanse the hoarwell river for a token. If you get in trouble, there's bears that you can pull into the fight. NPCs are great at alerting you something is up since we have no tracking skills. Use all cover...rocks, trees, bushes, break LOS.

I'm still learning to play my warden in the moors. Here's the advice I can add:

Always ride your horse from location to location, and use the cover of trees. Take advantage of your javelins to slow the enemy and lower their block chance.

When in a group, take advantage of ambush whenever available (a good LI for shorter induction will help). In a group, any ambushed creep is pretty much a dead one. If you don't go fist traited, go spear. I use a rotation where I only have to land the first spear for each gambit and the rest is masteries.

Use conviction to help the group with a HoT. This will at least help cancel out the bleeds/Dots/Poisons they have on them.

Practice. Any creep that is above 5 ranks has been playing that style for a while. It will take you a while to get a hang of the combat dynamics.

If anybody else can add, what is best for damage in the moors - light pots, fire pots, or none? I know creeps can invest points into damage reduction. I also thought about going with westernesse or dwarf-make damage instead of belierand, since I assume most would take belierand damage mitigation. Would this be a mistake? Anybody tested the damage types out?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast