We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Crafting Alts?

Crafting Alts?

So my main is an explorer and I'm having fun with that. I made another character to be cook/jeweler and another is farmer/scholar/wepsmith. I was thinking of making even another for woodworker...ok I like to craft! But then I realized that there are (sometimes difficult) quests that must be done to advance. So my question is, is it even possible to have crafting alts without actually levelling them up? I don't really want to play them, just to craft with them. Is that viable? I am thinking the answer is no, which means I wasted a lot of materials, lol.

2. Re: Crafting Alts?

Quote Originally Posted by meg72 View Post
    So my main is an explorer and I'm having fun with that. I made another character to be cook/jeweler and another is farmer/scholar/wepsmith. I was thinking of making even another for woodworker...ok I like to craft! But then I realized that there are (sometimes difficult) quests that must be done to advance. So my question is, is it even possible to have crafting alts without actually levelling them up? I don't really want to play them, just to craft with them. Is that viable? I am thinking the answer is no, which means I wasted a lot of materials, lol.
    The answer is ........ absolutely YES

The most you should have to level a crafting alt is 20. By that level you can handle the first 3 crafting quests.

The 4th quest to open up the master tier is the only one you will need help with because it's a level 40 quest (but you can do it at any level)

There are a lot of people that will help lower crafters with those quests so that shouldn't be a big problem.

BTW I suggested level 20 because at that level the zones you need to go into for those final quests won't be red zones anymore so you won't get extra aggro.

Re: Crafting Alts?

Lovely, thanks!

Some of the quests you are supposed to do at level 20 involve just snatching the item, which you can do with sneaking and running, others require that you (not your higher level bodyguard) defeat a mob that's carrying it.

Doable overall but your alt might die a couple times when e.g. getting tier 3 woodwoorker.

Forester and Prospector don't have any quests, so the lowest level character should probably be the explorer.

5. Re: Crafting Alts?

Quote Originally Posted by Darmokk View Post
    Forester and Prospector don't have any quests, so the lowest level character should probably be the explorer.
    Actually it works out great to have your highest (or main) character as the explorer so that they can gather mats for most of the crafting alts (except scholar and cook).

However, don't expect to be a great crafter since you can't use the lvl 45 tools or crafting scrolls...

Swijr
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000019c476/signature.png]Swijaroni[/charsig][SIZE="1"]
    [COLOR="CYAN"][b]Brandywine : [/b]Swiiv 65 | Swij 65 | Swijr 65 | Swijaroni 74 | Juspleen 50 | Juspleeny 38 | Duuhh 38[/COLOR]
    [/CENTER][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post
    BTW I suggested level 20 because at that level the zones you need to go into for those final quests won't be red zones anymore so you won't get extra aggro.
    The above's really important. It's a giant pain otherwise (huge aggro range, and whoever is helping you out won't stand for it ).

Another thing you'll miss out is the reputation recipies from places like Lothlorien, and any other high level rep recipes to be introduced/coming soon. So eventually, get them to 60+.

If your desire is to be able to craft the best items in the game then you will have to level them up. There are recipes only available to guilded supreme master craftsman with certain levels of rep with Lothlorien and now also with Mirkwood. I would assume this pattern will continue as we progress along.

In addition in order to improve crit chance you will need both the best crafted tools as well as crafting scrolls -- and these two have level requirements on them. Non critted consumables are still VERY sellable and viable items, however non-critted weapons and armour are pretty much only vendor goods.
    Last edited by Linwe-Elfmaiden; Feb 20 2010 at 01:50 PM.
    [URL="http://www.council-of-eraidor.com"][/URL]

Hi All, thank you for all of your replies! I don't mind if I can't make the absolute best things in the world. I mostly want to be able to make things that my "main" will find useful, they don't have to be the best available. Sounds like that will be viable for me if I get them to 20, so I will do that. Lots of good info here, thanks again!

One thing to know, before setting out on the alt-train is that each can only join one guild.

I wasted a bunch of materials on a Historian making weapons before I learned that.

I also want to thank everyone who posted in this thread. I have taken it to heart and have a toon in each guild. My main is only level 36 (so far) and my highest level crafter is my level 20 supreme cook/supreme farmer (not mastered, but unlocked and leveling is good enough for now ). I must say that I greatly enjoy crafting in this game so far.

Depending on what guilds you join and what classes you have I'd probably do an armsman instead of making two separate alts because you can knock out weaponsmithing (vitality crafted relics) and woodworking (agility crafted relics) in the same class and then do guild rep depending on what your character is to benefit from the crafted relics later on.

Scholars and metalsmiths are the toughest to level due to materials needed and cooks are the most expensive to level so keep that in mind on your alts.
    Thanks,

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000000b138e/01007/signature.png]Malranphor[/charsig]