We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

so i download the full game and its corrput or something

i played through the introduction part of the game, then allowed the full client to download so i could continue.

it finally finishes but when i go to run it i get an error message that says:

"Game Error [201]"
    Can't open the data files. Check that they exist and that you have permission to write to them. The program will now exit. [201]

did i really just download 10gigs for nothing? Ive checked. I have full permission to read and write anything in the game dir.

it downloaded in the TDM.

is there a way to have the tdm check all the files and re download the ones that aren't right?
    Last edited by draelos; Jan 30 2010 at 02:25 PM.

Re: so i download the full game and its corrput or something

Doing that myself right now (similar problem - played the intro fine, as soon as the full game had downloaded it won't work)

In TDM if you click the down arrow next to LOTRO there is an option to "validate and repair"

Before you do that, I remember reading something about having to right click and run as admin first time around... that may help your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjamoomin View Post
    Doing that myself right now (similar problem - played the intro fine, as soon as the full game had downloaded it won't work)

In TDM if you click the down arrow next to LOTRO there is an option to "validate and repair"

Before you do that, I remember reading something about having to right click and run as admin first time around... that may help your problem.
    Yes, and yes to both of those. Those are both the proper responses and the best advice.

When you are talking about a large number of files containing compressed data, it is inevitable that some of them are going to get errors when downloading them (all it takes is one badly read or miswritten byte to corrupt a download). Happens all the time no matter where you go (I get over a dozen e-mails a day at work from people who get corrupted downloads on single 5MB files who don't want to re-download. I can only imagine what it must be like when the files are 10GB!).

Thankfully, Turbine put in a Checksum Validator into the TDM that will verify the Checksums of the files and redownload any that fail. You just have to toggle that option on (Validate and Repair). You might have to re-download up to 650MB but you shouldn't have to re-download the entirety.

Also, if you are running Windows Vista or Win7, then try to right-click the LOTRO icon and choose "Run As Administrator" even if you are logged in with Administrator privileges (or even as the Administrator). It's an annoyance, but it works. (You can blame this on Microsoft's User Access Control/UAC scheme)

ok so the validate and repair thing worked. it ended up redownloading a couple megs of stuff and now the game works fine.

thanks you so much!