We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

16 bit MS-Dos Subsystem Error (NTVDM problem)

I don't know how this randomly started happening. I was playing lotro, closed it and shut down my PC, and when I booted it back up the next day to play I got this error all the sudden. When I open my LOTRO game, it looks like its downloading directx, and then the error happens and it doesn't download it - it makes me close/ignore (but if I ignore it just happens again and I have to close).

The whole error is C:\PROGRA~1\Turbine\THELOR~1\d x9c.exe
    The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
    CS:#### IP: #### OP:## ## ## ## #f Chose 'Close' to terminate the application.
    Close / Ignore

The #'s are just random numbers, and change from time to time. I uninstalled LOTRO twice, directx as well, and can't figure out what the deal is. I havn't downloaded anything since then, I ran 2 full system scans for viruses and it came up with nothing, and this only comes up with LOTRO only. No other game, nothing else I use on my comptuer, just lotro. When I tried downloading the full game from the lotro website, out of the 3 links the bottom 2 wouldn't work, so I had to use TDM to actually download the game.

Any help would be great. I saw a person had this problem and said they fixed it, but didn't provide the solution. My OS is XP - and I don't want to do a restore until I absolutly have to.

Thanks for all your help!

Re: 16 bit MS-Dos Subsystem Error (NTVDM problem)

It seems similar to the usual cause of this but may be the dx9c installer the launcher downloads was corrupted or mis-written to disk.

What O.S. are you running because an error like that is very base system level. Usually you see that if theres a corruption of the file itself, might want to run a malware check though just in case.

Definitely open a support ticket if it keeps up though.

Im runnin XP SP3 O.S. At first I thought it might have been malware, and when I ran MalwareBytes it found 2 errors, however getting rid of either didn't fix it. The Vista fix doesn't work for it - I've tried that, and spent the past 3 days googling fixes.

The weird thing is, it only is an issue with loading LOTRO. No other games / applications on my computer are bothered by it, except this one, and kinmates are getting just as stumped as I am

Thanks for your help so far though! Any other suggestions would be much appriciated.

Just as a test try a clean boot per the steps here but I'd follow up with a tech ticket since this may get more in-depth.

(After the clean boot you can later on put Windows back on a normal boot-up by undoing the changes made in the clean boot steps)

Tried it and didn't work - I'll fill out a support ticket asap, I don't know whats goin on or how this even started but it sure is a pickle :\

We THINK we have solved the problem Mirthgar, although we are not COMPLEATLY sure and I don't know if there is still an error behind it or not.

But the error was it couldn't find the dx9c.exe file and gave us a link to go downlaod it. We went to the site, downloaded it, and then saved the file in the C:Programs/Turbine/The Lord of the Rings Online as dx9c.exe Didn't click it to start the install, just named the download of directx from the website and renamed as dx9c.exe

Went to open the launcher, and voila, it launched. I might test it tomorrow and see if a notepad file with a bunch of jibberish 1's and 2's abc's saved as dx9c.exe will work, but for now this is a temporary fix that you can add to your list of fixes for those who use windows XP.

Thanks again for all your help!