We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

The Gambler Guide

I've been looking, but it doesn't seem like a systematic guide to The Gambler has been put together.

My Burg's now up to 59, still doesn't have Dealings Done, traiting 4/3 QK/TG for a long time now, and I'm trying to figure out how to get the most out of the Gambler line. For sure I'm going to go 5 into it when I get the capstone, but I feel like I'm feeling my way in the dark as far as when & how to use skills. So much of the line involves modifying & cross-linking skills that it's hard to get a big picture feel for the spec. And all this near level 60.

Talk about your late-blooming class.

Anyway, does anyone have a link to anything even sorta comprehensive? I know (in theory) about using crit-chains to get a 1-minute mez, I use Provoke mez once in awhile, a 5 or 6 Lucky Strike DoT is really nice.

What do you do with a Gambler trait when soloing, when 3-man, when skirmishing, when grouping & raiding?
    Last edited by Smashkilleat; Jan 22 2010 at 12:41 PM.

Re: The Gambler Guide

It's not complete, but I was working on something like this a while ago. Here is what I have so far...

What are Gambles?
    - Gambles are additional effects that can apply when a burglar uses certain skills and has slotted traits from the gambler trait line (Mainly trick removal skills. See below for a list of all 6 ways to apply gambles.)

- Gambles can allow a burglar to do extra damage, or apply extra debuffs, or mez a creature (regardless of creature type)

- The strength of a gamble is determined randomly when it applies. A 6 sided die rolls over the creature’s head to indicate the strength of the gamble (One = weakest. Six = strongest)

- A burglar can only have one gamble per target at a time. If you apply a second gamble to a target that you currently have a gamble on, the new gamble will replace the older gamble. (If more than one burg is attacking, then each burg can have one gamble on the creature at any given time.)

3 Types of Gambles
    Debuffing – Applies a 15s debuff to the target. (This debuff stacks with tricks.) [Thanks to Sneaky Snikwah for the numbers]
    - Tier 1 = +0% miss chance, +15% attack speed, -0% damage
    - Tier 2 = +05% miss chance, +20% attack speed, -0% damage
    - Tier 3 = +10% miss chance, +25% attack speed, -5% damage
    - Tier 4 = +10% miss chance, +30% attack speed, -10% damage
    - Tier 5 = +15% miss chance, +35% attack speed, -15% damage
    - Tier 6 = +20% miss chance, +40% attack speed, -30% damage

Damaging – Applies a 15s common damage DOT. (Your damage will vary. It is lvl dependent. It is effected by might, If it is applied by gamblers strike it is effected by the crit chain damage legacy, etc. At lvl 65 my numbers are.
    - Tier 1 = 38 damage every 3s for 15s
    - Tier 2 = 61 damage every 3s for 15s
    - Tier 3 = 84 damage every 3s for 15s
    - Tier 4 = 92 damage every 3s for 15s
    - Tier 5 = 115 damage every 3s for 15s
    - Tier 6 = 153 damage every 3s for 15s

Disabling - Mez the target. (Works on any creature type!)
    Note: Since disabling gambles have variable duration, the creature will get a 15s place holder debuff in addition to the mez. Skill that have additional effects on targets "with a gamble" will only work during the duration of the 15s place holder debuff. IE you have 15s to upgrade the mez to tier 6 with gamblers strike, or do extra damage with surprise strike, or have an increased chance to proc the crit chance debuff if you slotted the cruel odds trait, etc
    - Tier 1 = 15s Mez
    - Tier 2 = 20s Mez
    - Tier 3 = 30s Mez
    - Tier 4 = 30s Mez
    - Tier 5 = 40s Mez
    - Tier 6 = 60s Mez

How can I apply a gamble? - There are 6 ways to apply a gamble
    1. Use Clever Retort = 25% base chance for a debuffing gamble (must have at least 2 gambler traits slotted)
    2. Use Startling Twist = 25% base chance for a damaging gamble (must have at least 3 gambler traits slotted)
    3. Use Mischevious Glee = 25% base chance for a disabling gamble (must have at least 4 gambler traits slotted)
    4. Use provoke from stealth = 60% base chance for a disabling gamble (must have leaf walker trait slotted)
    5. Use the burgle skill = 60% base chance for a debuffing gamble (must have footpad trait slotted)
    6. Use Lucky Strike/Gamblers Strike = 100% chance to apply a damaging gamble (Assuming the gamble is not resisted) Note: If the target currently has another gamble on it then Gambler’s Strike will upgrade it into a freshly applied tier 6 version of that gamble! This is NASTY!

How can I increase my chance to apply gambles?
    There are lots of ways to increase the chance to apply a gamble. A burglar that is traited and geared is MUCH more effective at applying gambles. (Chance for most gambles to apply jumps up to 95% instead of the base 25%)
    +1%-20% burglar tools legacy
    +10% slot dealings done legendary trait (awarded for completing Book 2 Chapter 6 of the epic storyline)
    +40% bonus for 30s after you land a devastating critical (must have at least 4 gambler traits slotted)

How can I make good use of gambles?
    Gambler’s Strike (Upgraded version of Lucky Strike when the legendary trait dealing done in slotted
    This skill is incredible! If you don’t have a gamble on the target it will apply a damaging gamble (Random strength but weighted chance towards higher tier) However its real power is the ability to increase the strength of a current gamble to tier 6. It takes some practice to get the timing down but you can
    - Use startling twist to apply a random strength damaging gamble. Let the DOT run most of its 15s, then hit the mob with Gamblers Strike to upgrade to a brand new 15s tier 6 damaging gamble
    - Use clever retort to apply a random strength debuffing gamble. Let the debuff run most of its 15s duration and then hit the mob with Gambler’s strike to upgrade to a brand new 15s tier 6 debuffing gamble
    - Use mischievous glee to apply a random strength disabling (mez) gamble. You now have 15s to run up your crit chain and hit the mob with gamblers strike to apply a brand new tier 6 disabling gamble. 60s mez!

Surprise strike: If you have 3+ gambler traits slotted then surprise strike does an extra 200+ damage everytime you use it on a target with a gamble. Since surprise strike is on a 10s cooldown this is basically an extra 20dps! If the target has a gamble on it and surprise strike is ready - spam it! Note: If you have gambler strike (slot legendary trait dealing done) and a legendary weapon with the corresponding cooldown legacy, then gamblers strike will be on a 15s cooldown. Since gambles last for 15s you should always have a gamble on your target!

Quiet Knife/leafwalker combo for disabling (mez) gambles
    - If you slot leafwalker, then using provoke from stealth has a 60% to start a disabling (mez) gamble (80% with tools legacy maxed)
    - If you trait 5 deep in the quiet knife trait line and slot the capstone legendary (practiced bluff) then your next attack after improved feint attack is considered to be "from stealth"
    - This means that you can use provoke to start a disabling (mez) gamble even when you arent actually in stealth. Just use it right after improved feint attack (of course you need to have leaf walker slotted too)
    - If your weapon has the feint attack cooldown legacy maxed then you can use improved feint attack followed by provoke to try to start a dsiabling (mez) gamble every 15s. This is really powerful!
    Last edited by Mystarr; Jan 10 2010 at 12:10 PM.
    Merridan - Burglar lvl 105 (Rank 12)
    Gormadan - Minstrel lvl 105 (Rank 4) : Traldan - Captain lvl 105 : Celebdan - Weaver (Rank 11)

Thanks, Mystarr, that's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for. I think you should post all that in a new thread, get some feedback to fill in the missing data, then go for the sticky. Burglar stickies are getting pretty dated up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystarr View Post
    - The strength of a gamble is determined randomly when it applies. A 6 sided die rolls over the creature’s head to indicate the strength of the gamble (One = weakest. Six = strongest)
    A debuff icon also appears under the targets portrait window along with any other debuffs like reveal weakness, counter-defense, etc. The icon will have a number in the center to show the gambles level. It's been a while since I used it, but I seem to recall the debuffing gamble was yellow, damaging red, and the mezz gamble shows up the same as other mezzes.

Great post MyStarr! I just wanted to throw some of my experiences/thoughts with the Gambler (though I'm not quite as skilled with it):

Timing is Key:

Usually I'd like to wait until I get the Devastate Crit. buff before throwing my first gamble (unless you're doing the provoke mez/burgle debuff to start). It royally sucks to pop a potential gamble starter only to not have it come up and then you have to wait 45s for ST/MG to cooldown. (Clever Retort can be up to 2 min.) Also get into the habit of upgrading the gamble with Gambler's Stirke as MyStarr mentioned before the 15 sec. are up for maximum benefit. Once you get the timing down, it helps a lot!

Dictate the pace of the fight:

Like any group instances/raids, communication is key for effectiveness especially in TG. Since TG has great CC ability, you don't want anyone breaking your mezzes. As well, use the appropriate gamble for the situation. Throw a debuff gamble on hard hitting bosses to ease pressure off the tank/healers. If you need to burn the mob down quickly, throw the damage gamble. Most importantly, don't panic! ^^

Did I say CC?:

Having the ability to mez any creature type is invaluable. If you're fighting humanoid/intelligent mobs though then you become near godly. You can mez up to 7 targets (I think....with traited Confound) within a short time frame which will surely impress your fellowship!

Hope this helps!

I wrote this a while back for the new Burgs wondering if they should start gambling.

Mystarr, you might want to check but the debuffs were right back in October.

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky_Snikwah View Post
    Basically, you can only get acess to using gambles by sloting traits in "The Gambler" line. But none of these really become available till the mid 30's.
    Slotting 2,3,4 & 5 traits in the "TG" will give you even more gambler options and at Level 56 you will get Luckystrike which is the first skill to just give you a gamble outright.

Gambler Trait examples:

FOOTPAD: " Your Stealth is more subtle, making you harder to detect. In addition, Burgle has a 60% chance to apply a Debuffing Gamble."

This can be acheived by using diversion 500 times. You might get this done in your mid 20's if you spam it alot. But more likely you will get this in your 30's

So every guy you burgle, when you have footpad traited, will give you a 60% chance of a applying a debuffing gamble. If you can try this one a few times if you don't get noticed. When the gamble is applied, a dice it rolled. A result from 1 -6 will give a weak to strong debuff that lasts for 15s

level 1 00% miss chance +15% attack speed & 00% damage decrease.
    level 2 05% miss chance +20% attack speed & 00% damage decrease.
    level 3 10% miss chance +25% attack speed & 05% damage decrease.
    level 4 10% miss chance +30% attack speed & 10% damage decrease.
    level 5 15% miss chance +35% attack speed & 15% damage decrease.
    level 6 20% miss chance +40% attack speed & 30% damage decrease.

LEAFWALKER: "Your Stealth is hastened, allowing you to move more quickly while sneaking. In addition, Provoke from Stealth has a 60% chance to apply a Disabling Gamble."

This can be acheived by using Hide In Plain Sight 250 times. You might get this done in your mid 30's if you spam it A LOT! But some don't get it dont till there late 40's

A disabling gamble will mezz your target from 10-60s. There is supposed to be a stun in there aswell but it's a bit confusing if that works or not.

The 3rd type of gamble is a damaging gamble (which will apply a DoT). You can 100% garantee one of these using lucky strike (L56) but it it could still be weak -strong depending on the dice roll. I'm estimating a level 6 strong gamble does about 600 damage over 15s. It might have been reduced in the last book. Teir 4 just gave me 66damage every 3s for 15s a and teir 3 gave 66

Now buy slotting other traits like side step, Honed wit and Swift and subtle you can also get 25% chance to have.....

Clever retort give a debuffing gamble.
    Startling twist give a damaging gamble
    Suprise strike add ~200 damage when a gamble is active.
    MG MEZ any type of mob.
    Plus another 40% chance if you have recently had a devistating crit.

Legacies can increase you gamble chance up to a point that the gamble is more about whether you get a strong or weak gamble. As apposed to if you get one at all.

So don't worry about it at your low level. Just choose the traits you like since you don't have much scope for bonuses for a long time.

Cheers

The gamber line to me is 75% a CC build and 25% a DPS build. Thats assuming you are using lucky strike. If you make a 4/3 G/MM build its (Potentially!) more CC or some other generic group support build (less dpsish).

There are so many ways to pick the traits for these sorts of setups that its hard to outline what might be BEST in general (although best for a specific task is not so hard) or to recommend a playstyle. Yet I will try for a bit.

***First, for ANY gamble build, there is a question you must answer right away. Do you want to stealth or mischief mode? I will refer back to this often!

Stealth / MM have an effect on several things: If you use stealth, you very much want to use the clever retort trait, so you can use that skill without mischief. If you do not use stealth, you may skip this trait or not (it still cuts the cooldown by a ton -- you now have a choice). Stealth users want to consider leafwalker for the mez, MM users will always skip that trait. Stealth users will consider the burgle gamble trait, MM users will always skip that.

Even the odds and Overwhelming odds are both lackluster. ETO is great when you need to tank (TNG over and over for a while) or in some group circumstances but even at its best its mostly a wasted trait for any generic build -- and very useful for a build to deal with a specific circumstance. OO is simply too weak to ever use IMO. This cuts your choice of 8 traits to 6. If you have to have 5 of them for lucky, and if you want to run mischief mode, you are already going to struggle from this point on -- you will take something stealth based or nearly worthless in your setup, probably at least 2 of your 5 traits will be weak.

The remaining traits all have a decent kick to them:
    Swift & subtle: adds to your subtle stab a small amount of damage, this is multiplied up if you carry a stab legacy on your weapon (it increases the base damage which is what the legacy helps). Dps, even a small amount, is not a bad thing.

Side Step: Exrta evade chance, this trait sits nicely with stick & move to keep your crit chain open in a build that is 400 ish less critical rating than QK builds.

Cruel odds: A poor man's replacement for opportunist, or in a raw dps build you can stack the two, to provide 2% more crit chance to your entire group/raid. Total with opportunist is 8% (!!).

---------------------
    So a baseline build is shaping up already, for any gambler:
    cruel odds, side step, swift & subtle, honed wit -- Now you have unlocked everything except lucky strike and are still pretty much good to go whether you use stealth or not.

Going for a dps setup with lucky strike, you can grab leafwalker and, if you prefer it, remove one trait (probably side step) to get footpad which increases your suprise strike. For my DPS gambler build, I would from here go with opportunist (lots and lots of crits stacked with cruel odds...) and your favorite other 2 traits from anywhere. I personally would go with aim cooldown from QK as one of those two. If you were running mischief and going for dps & lucky strike, instead of leafwalker you have to choose one of the other traits -- however I personally would *still* take leafwalker so you can HIPS/MEZ or something, because I simply find no value in the other options for soloing.

A utility build with M-maker traits would be fairly different. You want cruel odds for the group wide bonus, honed wit, side step (offtank and crit chain which applies cruel odds...), and probably even the odds so you can FM to reset TNG more often, tied to 3 strong MM traits: opportunist (group crit bonus), Confound (4 targets mezzed in 5 seconds with a legendary!) and complicated terms (to make mez resist less). If crowd control is not important, swap out for trickster or disable or enrage or whatever appropriate yellow traits. You may not even want 3 MM traits, since the goal of having 3 is to get the free 5 second riddle boost, so a QK or extra TG trait may be more appropriate to grant lucky strike. On a boss as a utility gambler, for example, you want to have: one trick boosted by MM trait, cruel odds, one gamble(not mez, so clever retort debuff or the bleeds), for a 500k morale or more boss you want traited reveal weakness up, and the rest of your traits would be dpsish so you can help do damage while you maintain these effects which means using lucky strike both for dps and to extend the duration of the clever retort debuff.

So whats left? The ultra CC gambler build of course! Here is a quick breakdown.

You must use mischief mode (its simply better CC, all you get with stealth is 1 provoke and 1 riddle!), you get: confound (4 targets max traited), riddle (one target, chained), glee-mez (one target, can reapply, random duration can mean not chained). Thats a total of 6 targets, 1 sustainable and 1 semi-sustainable. You can drop mischief mode after 35 or so seconds (confound is on a 5 min cooldown and you riddle, riddle, drop MM, and riddle a final time before the riddle pool is dry) and hips to get a 7th target (repeat with cooldowns to maintain this target somewhat). Total is 7 targets possible and 3 of them potentially locked down for a long time with repeatable skills, 4 of them up and running after 30 seconds. (OR you can blow your hips resets twice to get 9 targets right away with luck, and then they will all be up because you cannot chain anything, you are out of toys).

Lot of rambling thoughts there, but its basically how I use the build for 3 different things (quasi dps, support, or CC machine), maybe some of it helped.
    Last edited by forusrname; Jan 07 2010 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LavenderFire View Post
    Having the ability to mez any creature type is invaluable. If you're fighting humanoid/intelligent mobs though then you become near godly. You can mez up to 7 targets (I think....with traited Confound) within a short time frame which will surely impress your fellowship!
    Holy Valar. Seven at a time? Shades of the Brave Little Tailor. I'll look forward to achieving that. (At whatever highfalutin' level it requires.)
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Sadly, you can only keep 3 to 4 targets down consistently. Confound is a 3-target mez, but with a five minute cooldown. Also, to use it you have to be in mischief stance, which disables stealth (which sucks).

Quote Originally Posted by Mystarr View Post
    Surprise strike: If you have 3+ gambler traits slotted then surprise strike does an extra 200+ damage everytime you use it on a target with a gamble. Since surprise strike is on a 10s cooldown this is basically an extra 20dps! If the target has a gamble on it and surprise strike is ready - spam it! Note: If you have gambler strike (slot legendary trait dealing done) and a legendary weapon with the corresponding cooldown legacy, then gamblers strike will be on a 15s cooldown. Since gambles last for 15s you should always have a gamble on your target!
    Quick addition before before I go do some RL... I don't know if anybody noticed, but the suprise strike bonus damage scaled in SoM! It hits for around 237 now, and also gained the ability to crit.