We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 68
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    West Coast!!
    Posts
    135

    Re: Greatest of the Elves of Middle Earth

    All these posts are exactly why elves are better.. we have so many good ones!! What do men have? like one guy lol
    .
    Littlebon- Minstrel || Bonic-Guardian
    Bonthelion- Burglar || Bonthir- Champion

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    7,562

    Re: Greatest of the Elves of Middle Earth

    Quote Originally Posted by 2R2H0 View Post
    All these posts are exactly why elves are better.. we have so many good ones!! What do men have? like one guy lol
    Shh... They have a whole thread of great men, just like this one

    (don't bother reading it though - Beorn was the greatest. Thats all you need to know)


    And speaking of men, Earendil was a man, was he not? Stop naming him a great elf
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

    [color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

    [color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

  3. #28

    Re: Greatest of the Elves of Middle Earth

    definately would say Feänor. I mean come on he was the Lord of the Numorean peoples... the masters of Lore and Craft... if you mean new age elves I would say Glorfindel or Elrond.... one of the edler elves that still remain in the world... Elrond remembers when the first stand against sauron was.... Epic from my point of view.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    116

    Re: Greatest of the Elves of Middle Earth

    No love for Gil-Galad?


    Pshaw.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/052080000001488ae/01006/signature.png]Sylrien[/charsig]

  5. #30

    Re: Greatest of the Elves of Middle Earth

    Quote Originally Posted by Lordsithis31 View Post
    definately would say Feänor. I mean come on he was the Lord of the Numorean peoples... the masters of Lore and Craft... if you mean new age elves I would say Glorfindel or Elrond.... one of the edler elves that still remain in the world... Elrond remembers when the first stand against sauron was.... Epic from my point of view.
    Feanor lord of Numorean peoples?...

  6. #31

    Re: Greatest of the Elves of Middle Earth

    I'd Personally cast my vote for Glorfindel. The Valar obviously thought he was important enough to send back to Middle Earth the help the free peoples. He also wasn't Noldor so he didn't have their doom which puts him a step up over all of the kings who were 'tainted' by the kin slaying.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Real Start Date: Mettarë, 2988 T.A.
    Posts
    1,426

    Re: Greatest of the Elves of Middle Earth

    Quote Originally Posted by BBeltB View Post
    I'd Personally cast my vote for Glorfindel. The Valar obviously thought he was important enough to send back to Middle Earth the help the free peoples. He also wasn't Noldor so he didn't have their doom which puts him a step up over all of the kings who were 'tainted' by the kin slaying.
    Despite his blond hair, he does seem to have been considered one of the Noldor, and Tolkien, in the context of Glorfindel's latter self-sacrifice and redemption, does refer to him taking a small part in their revolt against the Valar.
    [CENTER][I][FONT=Garamond]* * *
    [/FONT][/I][FONT=Palatino Linotype]"From without the World, though all things may be forethought in music or foreshown in vision from afar, to those who enter verily into Eä each in its time shall be met at unawares as something new and unforetold."[/FONT]
    [/CENTER]

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Grey Havens
    Posts
    30

    Re: Greatest of the Elves of Middle Earth

    Glorfindel!



    My elf in-game comes from Lindon and Glorfindel is his inspiration!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000001dd63b/01007/signature.png]Tarenthere[/charsig]

  9. #34

    Re: Greatest of the Elves of Middle Earth

    Fingolfin! After the Nírnaeth Arnoediad he jumped on his horse, rode straight to Angband, and shouted at the gates until Morgoth came out and fought him. Then he fought Morgoth for hours and cripple him. When he died his body was placed above Gondolin and was still enough to scare away evil.

  10. #35

    Re: Greatest of the Elves of Middle Earth

    Wow so many amazing posts! There are so many amazing Elves this is a tough one.
    Personally I give my vote to Fingolfin. Although Feanor is a close runner up. The reasons I have are that 'I' place an Elves 'power' based on Feats he's accomplished.

    Luthien - Put Morgoth to sleep... for a bit, howeevr one small nick on the cheek awoke him.
    Gilgalad - Aeglos was a mighty weapon and he fought bravely but... was defeated by Sauron's forces. Not even Sauron himself. If I am not mistaken... Sauron is ONLY a Maier anyway not a Vaar like Morgoth.
    Glorfindel - Fought a Balrog and won!...well he died in the process.
    Galadriel - With her power warded off the powers of Sauron from lorien.

    Feanor - Created the Simarills! Fought an Army of Balrogs and was finally defeated by their captain.
    Fingolfin - His PRESENCE caused an Army of Orcs to part and cower in fear. They thought he was a God... literally they thought he was the Huntsman Valar returned to Middle Earth. He wounded Morgoth 7 TIMES! and then before being defeated he caused the mightiest Valar to walk with a gimp for the rest of his days!

    All facts that have been stated before but... look at LONG lasting effects on middle Earth. Luthien didn't permenantly affect Morgoth... Fingolfin did.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000001be184/01003/signature.png]Aedras[/charsig]

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Middle-earth
    Posts
    101

    Re: Greatest of the Elves of Middle Earth

    Fingolfin 100%.
    I never really liked Feanor at all.
    Second place I'd put Gil-Galad/Elrond.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0820700000002c40b/01007/signature.png]Quendin[/charsig]
    "It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

  12. #37

    Re: Greatest of the Elves of Middle Earth

    At the risk of sounding repetitive, I would say Fingolfin, Feanor, and Glorfindel.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Right behind you! Aaah!
    Posts
    2,129

    Re: Greatest of the Elves of Middle Earth

    Quote Originally Posted by SylrienAtariel View Post
    No love for Gil-Galad?

    Pshaw.
    Gil-Galad was certainly very cool, but I don't really think he can vie for "greatest." (Similarly, I'm fond of Maedhros, but he doesn't make the list either.) I think for sheer awesomeness-over-time, it has to be either Glorfindel or Galadriel.

    -The Gneech
    [I]Premium content since 2010.[/I]
    [url=http://www.valarguild.org]Valar Guild: Lore Monkeys and Proud of It[/url]
    [url=http://my.lotro.com/thegneech/][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000001149ed/01005/signature.png]Honorary Shirriff Maedhroc Thornhollow[/charsig][/url]
    [url=http://www.gneech.com]Gneech.com[/url] - My writing, comics, and art.

  14. #39

    Re: Greatest of the Elves of Middle Earth

    In the context of all-time greatest elf in middle earth, this is a hard question to answer. There are certainly several that have proven their credentials for such a title... Faenor, Fingolfin, Glorfindel, Luthien, Gil-Galad, Galadriel, Cirdan and several others.
    Of all Middle Earth's ages, Faenor and Galadriel stand above all others. each led a rebellion from valinor, though Galadriel's was smaller and got caught up in the tide of Faenor's. Glorfindel's slaying and sacrifice is also very impressive. Yet, like Gandalf, he too was slain in the process (seems to me if you want to kill a Balrog, be prepared to die to accomplish such a great feat - but also count on the Valar deciding your worth too much to not be still live and kicking). the balrog slaying also remains unconfirmed, as it is never stated that the Glorfindel who slew a balrog is the same one who saves Frodo.
    Of the Third Age of Middle Earth, that which we are most familiar with, Galadriel owns this title. She rivalled her cousin when he was alive, and with his passing, our Lady of Lorien stands head and shoulders above all other eldar in middle earth. Elrond, Cirdan and Glorfindel are nothing compared to her power. Cirdan held his Ring only til someone more worthy arrived to assume its responsibilities and power. Elrond wasn't so might either, he too took up a Ring though he was less than worthy of it... being for all intents a default bearer with Gil-Galad's passing... i can visualise him doing something rather similar to Isildur, if not for the same selfish reasons.
    of the bearers of The Three, only Galadriel retained hers from the first day. Only in Lothlorien were the forces of Mordor kept at bay and Elven culture still in full bloom (if stuck in place due to the powers of Nenya) - and it was a lot closer to the Enemy than Imladris. I can't recall where i read it, perhaps the Tolkein "enyclopaedia", but it does list Galadriel as being the Greatest of the Elves in Middle Earth at the time of the War of the Ring. She learned many arts no other elf had ever learned from Melian - and certainly much of this learning went into the protection and preservation of Lorien.
    She faced down Sauron for centuries as his strength only continued to grow - first in Dul Guldor then back in Barad-Dur. Then cast down one of his fortresses utterly, even destroying (or exposing) its foundations iirc... Dol Guldor obviously - which i believe is timelined to slightly before Frodo and Gollum "throw" the The Ring into the Cracks of Doom.
    Last edited by Devilsgrin; Sep 11 2010 at 12:07 PM.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Windsor Locks, CT
    Posts
    411

    Re: Greatest of the Elves of Middle Earth

    #1: Galadriel - she is the only elf of renown that was alive when the silmarils were created, that went to Middle Earth, who grew in power and statue throughout, lived through the return of one of the three, survived the first three ages and thus saw the downfall of the great enemy and his successor before returning whence she came 5,000 years later.

    #2 Luthien - she took the silmaril from the great enemy himself.

    #3: Elrond - nowhere near the heritage, but influential beyond all but Galadriel in the end.

    #4: Glorfindel - a personal favorite
    Luinmiriel [L120 Elf Hunter], Marisibelle [L120 Burglar], Rosilyn [L120 Captain], Carafindriel [L120 Elf Minstrel], Katellin [L120 Beorning], Vornmiriel [L120 Elf Hunter], Melissabelle [L95 Burglar], Lorindriel [L70 Elf Warden], Luinmirien [L120 High Elf Hunter], Silaeluin [L120 High Elf Runekeeper]
    "One is truly rich who has friends."
    A proud member of the first LOTRO Players' Council.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Undisclosed location somewhere in the milky way galaxy
    Posts
    191

    Re: Greatest of the Elves of Middle Earth

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesRollinsWare View Post
    #1: Galadriel - she is the only elf of renown that was alive when the silmarils were created, that went to Middle Earth, who grew in power and statue throughout, lived through the return of one of the three, survived the first three ages and thus saw the downfall of the great enemy and his successor before returning whence she came 5,000 years later.

    #2 Luthien - she took the silmaril from the great enemy himself.

    #3: Elrond - nowhere near the heritage, but influential beyond all but Galadriel in the end.

    #4: Glorfindel - a personal favorite

    is that so Luin?

    Well personally I think the title of "Greatest" belongs to many Elves. Certainly Lady Galadriel is one who comes to mind. Elrond as well (although I must find flaw with your logic that Elrond does not have the same heritage as Galadriel, as BOTH are decendants of Finwe, first high-king of the Noldor).

    Although, I would argue that no Elf/Half-Elf has a greater heritage than Eldarion (Aragorn's son). Since he is descended from the High-Kings of the Elves, AS WELL AS the Kings of Numenor. In short he's King of ALL Middle Earth (minus the Dwarves and Hobbits).

    There's also Fingolfin too.

    Also Earendil was indeed an Elf. Earendil was Half-elven, and chose to be an elf for the sake of his wife.
    .

    Valaraen Says: “Behold the Chinchillas! They ride to war!”

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    23

    Re: Greatest of the Elves of Middle Earth

    Feanor.


    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsgrin View Post
    In the context of all-time greatest elf in middle earth, this is a hard question to answer. There are certainly several that have proven their credentials for such a title... Faenor, Fingolfin, Glorfindel, Luthien, Gil-Galad, Galadriel, Cirdan and several others.
    Of all Middle Earth's ages, Faenor and Galadriel stand above all others. each led a rebellion from valinor, though Galadriel's was smaller and got caught up in the tide of Faenor's. Glorfindel's slaying and sacrifice is also very impressive. Yet, like Gandalf, he too was slain in the process (seems to me if you want to kill a Balrog, be prepared to die to accomplish such a great feat - but also count on the Valar deciding your worth too much to not be still live and kicking). the balrog slaying also remains unconfirmed, as it is never stated that the Glorfindel who slew a balrog is the same one who saves Frodo.
    Of the Third Age of Middle Earth, that which we are most familiar with, Galadriel owns this title. She rivalled her cousin when he was alive, and with his passing, our Lady of Lorien stands head and shoulders above all other eldar in middle earth. Elrond, Cirdan and Glorfindel are nothing compared to her power. Cirdan held his Ring only til someone more worthy arrived to assume its responsibilities and power. Elrond wasn't so might either, he too took up a Ring though he was less than worthy of it... being for all intents a default bearer with Gil-Galad's passing... i can visualise him doing something rather similar to Isildur, if not for the same selfish reasons.
    of the bearers of The Three, only Galadriel retained hers from the first day. Only in Lothlorien were the forces of Mordor kept at bay and Elven culture still in full bloom (if stuck in place due to the powers of Nenya) - and it was a lot closer to the Enemy than Imladris. I can't recall where i read it, perhaps the Tolkein "enyclopaedia", but it does list Galadriel as being the Greatest of the Elves in Middle Earth at the time of the War of the Ring. She learned many arts no other elf had ever learned from Melian - and certainly much of this learning went into the protection and preservation of Lorien.
    She faced down Sauron for centuries as his strength only continued to grow - first in Dul Guldor then back in Barad-Dur. Then cast down one of his fortresses utterly, even destroying (or exposing) its foundations iirc... Dol Guldor obviously - which i believe is timelined to slightly before Frodo and Gollum "throw" the The Ring into the Cracks of Doom.

    Your portrayal of Elrond is unflattering. I'm inclined to disagree. For one thing he was fostered by the Noldor of the first age learning much in their care. For another he is of extremely noble lineage being related to Melian, Earendil, Luthien, etc. He was in no way the default bearer of Vilya, which if the Elven rings are any indicator in this matter, is the most potent, thus making Elrond correspondingly awesome. He was chosen to bear the ring by Gil Galad prior to the last alliance, having proved his capability and valor in the many wars of Middle Earth, come the 2nd age alone. One thing is certain, he relented in regards to the One Ring far easier than Galadriel and had the wisdom to lead to its destruction.

    Galadriel and Lothlorien are far less impressive than you make them out to be, imo. The river Anduin eliminated a great deal of the threat and the general isolationist policy of Lorien is indicative of anything but prowess. The casting down of Dol Guldur is kind of meh considering the One Ring was already destroyed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrono12581 View Post
    Wow so many amazing posts! There are so many amazing Elves this is a tough one.
    Personally I give my vote to Fingolfin. Although Feanor is a close runner up. The reasons I have are that 'I' place an Elves 'power' based on Feats he's accomplished.

    Luthien - Put Morgoth to sleep... for a bit, howeevr one small nick on the cheek awoke him.
    Gilgalad - Aeglos was a mighty weapon and he fought bravely but... was defeated by Sauron's forces. Not even Sauron himself. If I am not mistaken... Sauron is ONLY a Maier anyway not a Vaar like Morgoth.
    Glorfindel - Fought a Balrog and won!...well he died in the process.
    Galadriel - With her power warded off the powers of Sauron from lorien.

    Feanor - Created the Simarills! Fought an Army of Balrogs and was finally defeated by their captain.
    Fingolfin - His PRESENCE caused an Army of Orcs to part and cower in fear. They thought he was a God... literally they thought he was the Huntsman Valar returned to Middle Earth. He wounded Morgoth 7 TIMES! and then before being defeated he caused the mightiest Valar to walk with a gimp for the rest of his days!

    All facts that have been stated before but... look at LONG lasting effects on middle Earth. Luthien didn't permenantly affect Morgoth... Fingolfin did.
    If sparking into existence the very histories of Arda isn't a feat I don't know what is. The creation of the Silmarils far outweighs some wasted grand gesture of Fingolfin's. In fact, I would call Feanor's words prophetic for he was the herald of the great hurts of Morgoth having in the end achieved the following (and damnation) of the Elves that he desired. All corresponding acts of the Noldor host find their roots in the actions of Feanor.

    "Then turning to the herald he cried: ' Say this to Manwe Sulimo, High King of Arda: if Feanor cannot overthrow Morgoth, at least he delays not to assail him, and sits not idle in grief. And it may be that Eru has set me in a fire greater than thou knowest. Such hurt at the least will I do to the Foe of the Valar that even the mighty in the Ring of Doom shall wonder to hear it. Yeah, in the end they shall follow me. Farewell! '
    In that hour the voice of Feanor grew so great and potent that even the herald of the Valar bowed before him as one full answered, and departed: and the Noldor were over-ruled."

    Now I call Fingolfin's death a futile gesture and some may see that as hypocritical given the actions/accomplishments of Feanor. Feanor urged his sons on to death and destruction having foreseen the failure of them and his people, for the furtherance of his cause. His cause? Defiance, vanity, and freedom. He wanted to make Morgoth suffer, however little he could. I dare say he succeeded.
    Last edited by PhantomPunk; Oct 17 2010 at 03:39 AM.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,532

    Re: Greatest of the Elves of Middle Earth

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrono12581 View Post
    Gilgalad - Aeglos was a mighty weapon and he fought bravely but... was defeated by Sauron's forces. Not even Sauron himself. If I am not mistaken... Sauron is ONLY a Maier anyway not a Vaar like Morgoth.
    Sauron met Gil-Galad in battle personally, lifting him into the air, setting his body ablaze.
    [center][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0100000c71ae/signature.png]Starkiller[/charsig][/center]

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1

    Re: Greatest of the Elves of Middle Earth

    Ok, some Glorfindel Epicness

    Was not a Maiar,
    but
    Killed a Balrog anyway.

    Was brought back to life because he's too epic to die.

    Fought the Witch-King to a standstill

    Made the fabled prophecy about the Witch-King (no man and all that...)

    Powerful enough that all he had to do was reveal himself to the Nazgul to make them retreat (all nine of them at once).

    Knew about how epic Tom Bombadil was.

    Wasn't chosen as a part of the Fellowship because he "too mighty".

    Enough said.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    313

    Re: Greatest of the Elves of Middle Earth

    What, no mention of Celebrimbor? He may not have had the martial prowess of the others but he did forge the three rings of power which were responsible for the creation of much of the elvish domain in middle earth. Not an inconsiderable feat, and apparently one the others couldn't do. Puts him on par with others like Galadriel or Elrond, at the least.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    313

    Re: Greatest of the Elves of Middle Earth

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricorum View Post
    Powerful enough that all he had to do was reveal himself to the Nazgul to make them retreat (all nine of them at once).
    Yeah, that does count in his favor. All he had to do was be like "I'm one pissed elf lord" and the Nazgul got spooked. Repeat: the Nazgul got spooked.

    How many others spooked all nine Nazgul at once just by saying "Hey remember me?"

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Windsor Locks, CT
    Posts
    411

    Re: Greatest of the Elves of Middle Earth

    As I said above, although I am decidedly partial to Glorfindel, and Elrond was great, my choice is Galadriel. I thought is was worth reiterating why.

    1. Galadriel was around before the first age began. Feanor asked her for three strands of her hair to use in the making of the three Silmarils. She refused because her [correct] evaluation of him was that he was not noble enough to be worthy of such a gift - and boy was she right.

    2. She Led her people to Middle Earth with the Noldor but did not partake in the kinslaying - rather (in the most likely correct version), she led her people across the great ice (for which many paid with their lives)

    3. Thus, she participated in, and survived, the entire First Age.

    4. In the Second Age She was one of three elves entrusted with one of the elven rings by Celebrimor and, by the time the age ended with the death of Gil-Galad and the slaying of Sauron, she was the most powerful elf in Middle Earth.

    5. In the Third Age she strove to keep tabs on, and keep in check, the great enemy, Sauron, while hiding that last great bastion of the elves, Lorien, from him.

    6. During the time of the Fellowship, she took many key actions and her gifts to the members proved instrumental in the ultimate success of the effort. Certainly the formost was her decision not to claim the ring when offered!

    7. Interestingly, the one gift she did not determine on her own spoke volumes of her ability to correctly measure the hearts of others, for when Gimili shocked all by requesting a single strand of her hair, his answer to her question of what he would do with such a gift prompted her to offer not one, by three strands, making plain to all that the dwarf was worthy of a gift that the purportedly great Feanor was not.

    8. While Elrond was assuredly great (After all, it was said at the time of the Fellowship that Glorfinel (no slouch for sure) was the second most powerful elf at Rivendell), being born in the late Second Age, he was only alive for barely a third of the time that Galadriel was, and though he was important, he most of all would never have claimed to be more important than she.

    9. Of all the great elves of the First Age, Galadriel lived to see the great enemy's greatest minion finally destroyed, Middle Earth cleansed, and then was allowed to return whence she came.
    Luinmiriel [L120 Elf Hunter], Marisibelle [L120 Burglar], Rosilyn [L120 Captain], Carafindriel [L120 Elf Minstrel], Katellin [L120 Beorning], Vornmiriel [L120 Elf Hunter], Melissabelle [L95 Burglar], Lorindriel [L70 Elf Warden], Luinmirien [L120 High Elf Hunter], Silaeluin [L120 High Elf Runekeeper]
    "One is truly rich who has friends."
    A proud member of the first LOTRO Players' Council.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    625

    Re: Greatest of the Elves of Middle Earth

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesRollinsWare View Post
    As I said above, although I am decidedly partial to Glorfindel, and Elrond was great, my choice is Galadriel. I thought is was worth reiterating why.

    1. Galadriel was around before the first age began. Feanor asked her for three strands of her hair to use in the making of the three Silmarils. She refused because her [correct] evaluation of him was that he was not noble enough to be worthy of such a gift - and boy was she right.
    Galadriel is by no means unique in this regard. Certainly Elrond and Cirdan were around in the first age, and Cirdan for much longer than Galadriel. So also was Celeborn, and probably Thranduil. She is not even unique in being a first age elf who has seen Amman, a distinction she shares with Glorfindel, and probably Gildor Inglorion

    2. She Led her people to Middle Earth with the Noldor but did not partake in the kinslaying - rather (in the most likely correct version), she led her people across the great ice (for which many paid with their lives)
    It was not Galadriel, but Fingolfin who led the Noldor across the Helecaraxe.

    3. Thus, she participated in, and survived, the entire First Age.

    4. In the Second Age She was one of three elves entrusted with one of the elven rings by Celebrimor and, by the time the age ended with the death of Gil-Galad and the slaying of Sauron, she was the most powerful elf in Middle Earth.
    Of course, as one of three elves, this does not distinguish her above the other three so honoured, Gil-galad and then later Cirdan, and Elrond. Further, that she was more powerful than Elrond is arguable. Certainly Elrond was the greater healer, and possibly the greater warrior (he was sent to defend Eregion against Sauron, while she remained in the Golden Wood. He also participated in the Last great alliance, she did not.) Indeed, arguably Glorfindel was a greater warrior than either of them. As one of the captains of Gondolin, he participated in at least two first age battles against Morgoth, not to mention the defense of Gondolin, and the slaying of the Balrog in the flight from Gondolin.

    5. In the Third Age she strove to keep tabs on, and keep in check, the great enemy, Sauron, while hiding that last great bastion of the elves, Lorien, from him.
    Again a distinction she shares with Elrond, and partially with Cirdan.

    6. During the time of the Fellowship, she took many key actions and her gifts to the members proved instrumental in the ultimate success of the effort. Certainly the formost was her decision not to claim the ring when offered!
    Again Elrond shares these virtues, except that his total lack of desire to seize the ring casts him in a better light.

    7. Interestingly, the one gift she did not determine on her own spoke volumes of her ability to correctly measure the hearts of others, for when Gimili shocked all by requesting a single strand of her hair, his answer to her question of what he would do with such a gift prompted her to offer not one, by three strands, making plain to all that the dwarf was worthy of a gift that the purportedly great Feanor was not.

    8. While Elrond was assuredly great (After all, it was said at the time of the Fellowship that Glorfinel (no slouch for sure) was the second most powerful elf at Rivendell), being born in the late Second Age, he was only alive for barely a third of the time that Galadriel was, and though he was important, he most of all would never have claimed to be more important than she.
    First, while Galadriel was born in Amman before the years of the sun, Elrond was born in the first age, albeit at the very end. Further, Elrond undoubtedly had a higher lineage than she, for while she was a descendant of Finwe, he was a descendant of Finwe, and of Elwe (Thingol), and of Melian the Maiar, and of all kings of all three great houses of the elf friends, including most especially Beren. Most expecially, he was the son of Earendel, who crossed the divided sea when no-one else could, whose father slew many Balrogs in Gondolin, and who himself slew the greatest dragon ever, and on whose brow sits the last Silmaril; and of Elwing, grandaughter of Luthien Tinuviel, who defeated Sauron in combat, and stole a Silmaril from Morgoth's crown.

    Second, Elrond was by Elvish law both the heir to Fingolfin's crown, and by right the lawful king of all Noldor in middle earth; and also the heir of Thingol, and hence by right the lawful king of all Sindarin elves including those Teleri who turned early from the journey west, ie, the Elves of Mirkwood and of Lorien. That he did not seek this power is to his further credit, but does not alter the fact that should he have claimed it, he was Galadriel's sovereign.

    9. Of all the great elves of the First Age, Galadriel lived to see the great enemy's greatest minion finally destroyed, Middle Earth cleansed, and then was allowed to return whence she came.
    Again, and obviously, a feature shared by Cirdan, Glorfindel and Elrond (and probably by Gildor Inglorion and many other elves alive in the third age). In fact, most elves alive in the third age were born in the first age.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000009fd8b/01007/signature.png]Cutholen[/charsig]

  24. #49

    Re: Greatest of the Elves of Middle Earth

    This seems a tad silly. I can appreciate the entertainment value in such a debate, but... isn't much of this a matter of strictly personal preference? A great deal of what made each figure so unique is... well, unique. Galadriel never exhibits Elrond's strength of purpose, but Elrond never demonstrates her heart-melting radiance.

    It is an interesting conversation, but it all strikes me as a bit like trying to determine the loveliest star in the sky. Anyways, carry on.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    147

    Re: Greatest of the Elves of Middle Earth

    I'd like to vote for Layree the cabal elf, lives in the deep south of middle earth, and excels at getting things done...

    Killing helpless LOTRO wildlife since '07
    1 Twinfall Path, Guriant, Falathlorn Homesteads

 

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload