We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Angry client timed out the connection!

I downloaded the 10-day trial and every time i go to log in I get past the launcher window and into the game, the game trys to connect the the server 20 times , then i get a message that says "connection failed, client has timed out the connection". I haven't been able to get past that point. any ideas on what it may be or what I can do to get in game?

Re: client timed out the connection!

See the Network Troubleshooting sticky for some things to check.

If you have a firewall, there are two (XP) or three (Vista) files that need to be added to the exceptions list. May need to remove and re-add them to the list if they've been updated since they were added. Whether or not you use IE, the client uses the same global settings that IE uses. If IE is in an offline mode, the client will not be able to connect. Check to be sure that IE is not offline. Other things to check are routers, anti-virus software, net filtering software (such as Net Nanny), etc.
    "Everyone's got one. Better to be a smart one than a dumb one." - me
    "It's people like you that [I]think[/I] you know everything that give those of us that [I]do[/I] a bad name." - me
    "Eat, drink, and be Merry, 'cause Pippin was a fool of a Took."

Re: client timed out the connection!

And if you try those things and still have issues, please contact our Tech support department (link in my signature).
    LOTRO Support Page & Knowledge Base
    To request support from a Customer Service Agent, simply click on "Submit a Ticket"
    English Account/Store Support is available Monday through Friday from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm. (GMT -5). 855-WBGAMES (855-924-2637)

Contact us on Twitter @LOTRO

Unhappy Re: client timed out the connection!

Quote Originally Posted by Penter-Kar View Post
    See the Network Troubleshooting sticky for some things to check.

If you have a firewall, there are two (XP) or three (Vista) files that need to be added to the exceptions list. May need to remove and re-add them to the list if they've been updated since they were added. Whether or not you use IE, the client uses the same global settings that IE uses. If IE is in an offline mode, the client will not be able to connect. Check to be sure that IE is not offline. Other things to check are routers, anti-virus software, net filtering software (such as Net Nanny), etc.
    After the update on the 24th of this month, I keep getting this same issue. I have Vista, and I made sure that IE is not in offline mode. I went on "Windows Firewall" and put "lotroclient" on the exceptions list, but I keep getting this timed out connection error. What are the 3 files that I'm supposed to be adding to the Firewall exceptions list? I want to fully make sure I've done all I can, before contacting support for help. This is really frustrating. /=

Also, I tried checking the sticky, but it wouldn't let me see it because apparently I have to be a subscriber in order to do so [I'm fp2], which doesn't seem too fair, but oh well. I'd try checking my router, but I'm not exactly sure what it is about my router that I should be checking? I'm afraid that I'm not too technologically savvy. I'm also trying to check my anti-virus, but I have an expiring subscription of Norton, and it's not opening when I try to click it.

Any help on this would be much appreciated. I hope this can be resolved. I really want to start playing lotro again.