We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Virtue Traits Discussion

I've heard alot of opinions ingame and on these forums about captain virtue trait config. As varying as no valour and slotting all will/fate traits.

I asked 2 maxed out cappys and the answers were totally different 1 had valor/fidelity/determination/innocence/discipline and the other had valor/justice/empathy/loyalty/idealism

So that's 9 different traits.

Thats just fine and dandy and all but in light of some cappys leveling now and not 2 years ago getting all those up to 10 would be a mountain of grinding to do.

I'm hoping there can be an exchange of ideas to what slotting works well for everyone on a larger scale. No comment is the wrong comment either by looking at those two cappys in the above example they are well established end game cappys and each are good in their own respects.

Re: Virtue Traits Discussion

I'm pretty fond of Justice, Idealism, Empathy, Discipline, Loyalty, although I do switch it up from time to time.

I think Valour is a bit overrated, personally. Not saying its bad, but for me and my playstyle, I've never found a spectacular use for it.

I like icmr and fate traits quite a bit, as well as doing what I can to reduce damage.

I often try to slot traits that will make up for my weaknesses in stats.

I think that generally though, any virtue will help. What's more important is ranking the virtues up and slotting think. Some of them are rather situational, but almost any of them can make a pretty noticeable difference in survivability.
    [center][url=http://col.guildhosting.us/] Children of Illuvatar Kinship[/url], [b]Arkenstone[/b]
    [url=http://my.lotro.com/redviolin06/]My Lotro[/url] [b]*[/b] [url=http://poetslife10.blogspot.com/]My Blog[/url]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0820700000006a327/01003/signature.png]Martothir[/charsig][/center]

It really depends on what you're doing. Right now, I have valor, innocence, justice, empathy, and loyalty.

I was running around in beta with honesty and ideaism instead of loyalty and empathy.

If you're not going to be taking much damage, don't use innocence.

If you're soloing, I'd recommend valor, innocence, justice, empathy, and loyalty. You could also switch out loyalty/empathy and put in something like determination/discipline.

For raids, I will probably switch out empathy for idealism. But I haven't had time to play much lately so we'll see.

Basically, imo, for raid builds, just go for +ICPR, +morale, and perhaps innocence. If you're not going to take damage, maybe use honesty or perhaps wisdom now.

and like I said above, if you're going for a solo build, I'd use justice, valor, innocence, empathy, and loyalty if you're not capped out on vit. If you are maybe discipline instead.
    Kraken, Thesungodra

I slot;

Innocence
    Valour
    Empathy
    Discipline
    Loyalty

I switch out Discipline for Fidelity if I will be taking shadow damage (DD, Blind One).

With the new changes in SoM (will affects healing) I might have to look at wisdom but it all depends on your gear too - look at filling your gaps.

One other thought - Empathy, Loyalty, Fidelity are mostly achieved by exploration/questing and are not hard get to 10. They might be the most 'bang' for your time.

Valour, determination, discipline are probably the worst 'bang' for time spent as they involve killing a LOT of mobs and are most easily done when you've reached lvl 65 at this point.

Innocence - all I can say is that if you're ever contemplating rolling a melee class make sure you level up in the shire...
    [CENTER]Rakethorn of Elendilmir[/CENTER]
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]

Ive changed virtues a lot over the years, and finally found a good mix of traits that I often swap but all have utility depending on the situation and the merits involved. For Solo I run Valour, Justice, Loyalty, Determination, and Discipline. I often switch out determination and loyalty for Innocence and fidelity depending specfic group composition or mob damage. At the moment I am slotted with Valour, Justice, Loyatly, Discipline, and Innocence because I end up tanking alot of the 3 mans and it helps fill in that role a little better.
    Barst
    Skill and Valour
    Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by IGolbezI View Post
    It really depends on what you're doing. Right now, I have valor, innocence, justice, empathy, and loyalty.

I was running around in beta with honesty and ideaism instead of loyalty and empathy.
    I really like switching in Honesty for Empathy. A fair bit less armour (-180), and a marginal loss of Fate (-7), but +123 Power. And with changed weapon speeds, we Captains need all the power we can get.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/072060000000ad326/01008/signature.png]Hunberht[/charsig]

These I keep maxed out:
    Valour, Justice, Innocence, Loyalty, Fidelity, Idealism, Determination

Backups for specific applications:
    Empathy, Tolerance

Most of the time I have the following slotted (and change them very rarely):
    Valour, Justice, Determination, Loyalty, Innocence

Going forward with the latest changes for BG raiding I'll most likely go with the following:
    Loyalty, Idealism, Innocence, Justice, Tolerance/Fidelity depending on tactical vs. shadow damage output of the bosses.

I've been levelling up a captain; currently at level 54. This is my highest char as well, fairly new to the game.

Valour seems to be universally agreed upon.

In groups (where I'd like to be), I find myself running out of power really quickly. But oddly enough, Idealism isn't on a lot of people's lists... what virtue is best for helping with in-combat power regen?

I was a bit surprised to see innocence being so highly rated. Is that mainly for tanking type captains, or is there a ton of melee damage flying around at high levels that 5% is critical to our survival?

Quote Originally Posted by Dojango View Post

In groups (where I'd like to be), I find myself running out of power really quickly. But oddly enough, Idealism isn't on a lot of people's lists... what virtue is best for helping with in-combat power regen?

I was a bit surprised to see innocence being so highly rated. Is that mainly for tanking type captains, or is there a ton of melee damage flying around at high levels that 5% is critical to our survival?

1. None. Your best ICPR comes from bracelets (and a buffing emblem with 'focus' legacy if you really need it).

2. Sometimes it can make the difference. And it's not only for tanking captains, in raids there is usually some aoe going on. Taking 5% less damage is a better benefit than you get from most of the other virtues. All of the melee class forums generally recommend innocence.
    [CENTER]Rakethorn of Elendilmir[/CENTER]
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Bombardier View Post
    I really like switching in Honesty for Empathy. A fair bit less armour (-180), and a marginal loss of Fate (-7), but +123 Power. And with changed weapon speeds, we Captains need all the power we can get.
    True, but it depends on what your focus in-game is. I like to raid, so I would go with empathy/idealism
    Kraken, Thesungodra

I doubt you'll find a universal set. Different areas of the game are best done with various virtues. The 9 that you referenced are probably all pretty high for most captains, so that we can swap out a few as needed. Nine out of 20 isn't that bad!

All classes have the same thing--some virtues that rarely get un-slotted, and others that rotate out. Captains are about being versatile...that includes virtues, so level up a few extras!
    [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Lupini View Post
    I doubt you'll find a universal set. Different areas of the game are best done with various virtues. The 9 that you referenced are probably all pretty high for most captains, so that we can swap out a few as needed. Nine out of 20 isn't that bad!

All classes have the same thing--some virtues that rarely get un-slotted, and others that rotate out. Captains are about being versatile...that includes virtues, so level up a few extras!
    This seems to be the common thread to bind it all together so far it looks like. Which I don't mind one bit. I think it takes alot of time and effort to make a good end game captain in this ever changing game. I got a long road ahead of me. I really like the captain skill set compared to anything I've tried thus far in the game. Only classes I haven't got past 30 is minstrel and RK.

Thank you all for the input it was most enlightening as a semi new end game captain I really respect what a captain does now. Someone in game pointed out to me today its more important to fill in the gabs whatever is lacking with traits instead of going with what is expected and do whats needed in terms of your own personal buffing.

And now that I hit lvl 50 and beyond its let people die that I team with so I can get that 100 rez trait. j/k.

Now I was told to slot for power/power regen, because apparently at the higher levels cappys burn through power pretty quick

One of those power traits I have slotted is wisdom, reading through the first page, I saw nobody with wisdom slotted, should I choose something else in its place?

Or should I just say screw an all out power build?

And also, I am lvling a capt for my 5 man kin, which consists of a guard, mini, hunter, and LM. So also if anyone would like to throw out a good trait setup solely for PVE

Thanks!
    Last edited by Annunlos; Dec 13 2009 at 06:19 PM.

It really depends on your gear and what you are aiming to do when you build your captain.

For example if i'm tanking i'll often the melee traits, yet if main healing i'll be very heavily leaning towards a full power build (slotting wisdom/idealism).

Currently I'm still running 5/6 DN which means i'm very very low on will and my healing suffer and because of that i'm slotting wisdom and a few others. However if i was using the watcher set my will would be alot higher and i would probably be looking at swapping in things like innocence ect to make up for the armour value. (I'm sticking with DN coz i am now addicted to 8.3s Rallying Cry and the fire/lightening mit is worth its weight in gold this expansion)
    [URL="http://catalyst.guildlaunch.com"][/URL][SIZE=1] [/SIZE][SIZE=1]Votan | Xeyila | Grisburnakh
    Retired - Thanks for the fun and the fights[/SIZE]

I personally use valor/discipline/justice/loyalty/determination. I stack for might and agility, but I like the morale boosts secondary. I took Loyalty just because it was high and I was dropping another one I had gotten sick of, I may very well change it for one day, but so far I like the armor boost and I don't see much better.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/01203000000004190/01003/signature.png]Curuvorn[/charsig]

It is funny to still see a lot of people slotting Justice.
    Justice has not been very usefully since SoA days.
    It is so easy for captains to get moral its not even funny.
    I am running with 8K moral and 3.5k power with 1.2K ICPR.
    I do not have any of the new mirkwood jewelry on it and i doubt i will upgrade many of my current peaces.
    I usually slot Valor, Empathy, Loyalty, Honesty, Idealism
    I may switch Empathy out for Wisdom in raid situations, as Captains are being moved more toward off healing now, and if things go bad go with Innocence, but i will never go back to Justice. It is just not worth it. I mean 60 ICMR? Is that going to do anything for you?
    The moral, i mean once you hit 8K what is another 140 (would be like 200 after buffs).
    If you are taking damage, then Innocence or even Discipline are much better choices as they will keep you alive longer then Justice will.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000015b084/01008/signature.png]Dropofhoney[/charsig]

I'm running a naked build, no gear, no traits, no virtues, i'm only using the banner and my wpn..

/running around like a crazy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: Nah, just kidding -- i just don't remember what virtues i'm running maybe i'll edit when i get home later..
    [COLOR=#008080]If it isn't about FlameThrower, Grenade and Rocket Launcher, you're playing the wrong classes, race and game..
    [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Annunlos View Post
    One of those power traits I have slotted is wisdom, reading through the first page, I saw nobody with wisdom slotted, should I choose something else in its place?

Or should I just say screw an all out power build?
    Wisdom grants Will and Will is increasingly imporant in SoM. Will now boosts Tactical Offence and Outgoing Healing in addition to providing Power. I'm not sure there's any room for it in my own build, but if you're going for a Healing/Power/Power Regen build, it'll suit you. (There's no ICPR gained from Virtues, so I'm guessing you're just slotting all the Fate (indirect ICPR) virtues). Personally, I just keep an LM in one pocket and a Burglar in the other. That covers all my power restoration needs.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/072060000000ad326/01008/signature.png]Hunberht[/charsig]

I don't know if Will will do much for captains in terms of healing.
    I mean our heals are not large they are just fast, and have HoT components to them.

Basically the percentage of a small base is not as impressive as a large base.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000015b084/01008/signature.png]Dropofhoney[/charsig]

Smile Re: Virtue Traits Discussion

I totally agree that you should look at the whole broad picture regarding your gear, race & class traits & even the jewellery that you have equipped.

You want to be able to be versatile to either tank or heal and this takes more attention to make sure you work on your deeds to make yourself stronger. Alot of people like Innocence so I will have to go into the Shire to pickup that one. It seems that is the first place that I can get it.

I think it's a constant evaluation as you level up & earn your different skills from your trainer. You have to make sure that everything you are equipping (gear etc) works together for the effects to work.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/08207000000162850/01002/signature.png]Lliannon[/charsig]

I have been using valour/idealism/loyalty/innocence/empathy for a long time now, but have recently been running out of power. I put wisdom in place of empathy, but am wondering if anyone would slot empathy over innocence for the 15 fate? I have high might/agilty/vit so I do pull aggro and am wondering which mitagates damage more? Also, honesty looked tempting for the increased power but I dont think I could replace any others.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/08207000000007e90/signature.png]Esthero[/charsig]

Vertigo - 65 Captain - Pariah
    Escyndir - 65 Champion - Pariah
    Dartsk - Murder Herd

I think it is good to pick a theme with your traits, item bonuses and legendary legacies.

Most bonuses in LOTRO are very small (especially at lower level) so you have to stack multiple sources of the same type of bonus in order to create something useful.

If you only look at the first few ranks of Innocence you might think, "Meh!". That is what I think of most Traits too, at least until I get them up to 7+ and stacked bonuses with other same-type bonuses.

At level 63 my captain has ~10% Melee Damage defence. That means 10% less damage taken after things like armor and evasion math is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojango View Post
    I think Tactical Defense is the most important in a lot of situations against Elites and tougher. i.e. Fire damage can hit me for 100s to 1000+ damage, and several times, quickly. I'd sure like to be able to take 20%+ less of that ! That is going to be my next set of gear and traits to work on.

I think damage mitigation gains out-perform flat increases to morale, although I have both because it's impossible not to. By this I am thinking of some buff, or item upgrade, or legendary legacy, or Trait, that might add +103 morale more than I had previously. Thats nice, but if I already have over 5000, another 103 is a very small increase. How can I do better than that, and can I fit in both at once? That is when I started considering the effects of Melee (and other) Defences.

Consider how many hits it takes to defeat your character and then consider taking 5-10% less per hit. It is better to completely avoid the hit, so evasion, parry and block are very important, but when you can't have enough of that you go for the next best things: damage subtractions and percentile mitigation, extra morale, and incoming healing %. Survival in LOTRO is a multi-layered defense.
    Last edited by Irnaetha; Apr 15 2010 at 11:12 AM.
    [COLOR=darkorchid]Marhkam, Captain 65[/COLOR], Supreme Metalsmith, Arkenstone

I prefer to trait for straight morale and mitigations, so I slot Valor, Innocence, Discipline, Empathy, and Tolerance.
    With scrolls, I can cap melee mitigation and get close to capping tactical mitigation as well.
    I get Will, Fate, and Vitality from jewelry, armor, stat legacies, relics, and food for appropriate situations.

It's funny that I don't hear Confidence being spoken about much.. It's a great NCPR and anti fear virtue. Even better than Idealism I think.

I'm only getting started in the end game so you all bring more experience to the table than I, but in the runs I've done (Turtle, GS, SH, FG, Hele), that's a good thing to have. I never have to carry fear pots. I AM a fear pot!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000012e209/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [I]"He knows not to what end he rides; yet if he knew, he would still go on."[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by Nardian View Post
    I never have to carry fear pots. I AM a fear pot!
    Pick up fear pots before you head to DN...

Pot-Muster Courage...Pot-Muster

[CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast