We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Symbol of Celebrimbor

The really serious problem here seems to be the random approach they've used to distribute it. Some people get it on their first time in, others have been grinding since early December with nothing. There's a point at which "just unlucky" turns into not contributing to the revenue stream that helps everyone here. There is a big difference between "intentionally rare" and fundamentally disconnected from effort. Unfortunately, those who aren't lucky on getting the drops or getting the roll when they do are in exactly the same places as those who never bothered to run the instance. Except, I suppose, they know the instance very well...

Quote Originally Posted by Tahlfis View Post
    Not everyone should have these great weapons?

Then they wouldnt be so great, would they...

And if you dont raid or do high end instances, then you dont need this great weapon.
    There's a disconnect. You don't need the great weapon either otherwise you wouldn't have been able to kill the mob that dropped it in the first place.

The symbol is simply a reward for doing the content that the developers want you to do.
    [LEFT][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000005dca9/01001/signature.png]Jorim[/charsig][/LEFT]

Cool Re: Symbol of Celebrimbor

Using this rare symbol as a crafting neccesity to obtain that long awaited weapon you have grinded for months to have a shot at is a wonderful idea, and even beter if you are on a server with at least twelve people on it at any given time, in the Mirkwood region, at high enough level, with the desire to participate with eleven complete strangers in that particular and very lengthy raid. I use the game junk and they get you killed just as fast as a crafted one would. (65-LM)

Someone said something about those who come in the first time and get the symbol drop. I pug groups and run kin runs in SG daily. I have beat Gorothal over 40 times and have seen the symbol drop 1 time. 1/40+ is a little ridiculous.

Thats my compalint. I have tried it on hard mode, easy mode, pop all bone piles, pop no bone piles, everything. No luck whatsoever.

There is a big difference between unlucky and obusrd on the drop rate.

I'm tired of SG, I want a symbol.

Quote Originally Posted by malveki View Post
    Someone said something about those who come in the first time and get the symbol drop. I pug groups and run kin runs in SG daily. I have beat Gorothal over 40 times and have seen the symbol drop 1 time. 1/40+ is a little ridiculous.

Thats my compalint. I have tried it on hard mode, easy mode, pop all bone piles, pop no bone piles, everything. No luck whatsoever.

There is a big difference between unlucky and obusrd on the drop rate.

I'm tired of SG, I want a symbol.
    You will get your symbol just before Turbine introduces first ages...
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Egelwolf View Post
    It drops in the 6man also. It takes about an hour to clear. You don't have to raid to get this item as a drop.
    Care to rethink that statement?

(You say it drops from a 6-man raid but one doesn't have to raid to get it. That's just plain incoherent.)

Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    Care to rethink that statement?

(You say it drops from a 6-man raid but one doesn't have to raid to get it. That's just plain incoherent.)
    No it's not. A raid by definition is an encounter that requires MORE than 6 people to complete on-level. SG is not a raid. BG is a raid. Group instance != "raid".
    Arda Shrugged:Elendilstone

Quote Originally Posted by gildhur View Post
    No it's not. A raid by definition is an encounter that requires MORE than 6 people to complete on-level. SG is not a raid. BG is a raid. Group instance != "raid".
    I'll let you explain that to everyone who refers to "6-man raids".

I'll let you explain that to everyone who refers to "6-man raids".
    They can refer to it like that all they want, but it's not accurate. Words mean things.

They can refer to it like that all they want, but it's not accurate. Words mean things.
    So tell me... Is this 6-man "instance" gated by anything? Or can any random group of no more than 6 just walk into it? If the former, it would certainly fit *my* definition of a raid, if the later, then I'll agree it's a private instance.

So tell me... Is this 6-man "instance" gated by anything? Or can any random group of no more than 6 just walk into it? If the former, it would certainly fit *my* definition of a raid, if the later, then I'll agree it's a private instance.
    A group of up to six can go into this instance. As whether any particular group can complete it, there are many factors involved.

There is no specific skill, trait, consumable, equipment or class mix that is a must have. Which makes this instance different than the Vile Maw which requires that everyone have some radiance.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

There are no gates to any content that requires fewer than 12 people. Only 3 raids (12-man instances) in the game are gated. Also, you are not allowed to have your own definition of words. That's not how language works.

There are no gates to any content that requires fewer than 12 people. Only 3 raids (12-man instances) in the game are gated. Also, you are not allowed to have your own definition of words. That's not how language works.
    You may want to go re-read your Lewis Carroll.

14. Re: Symbol of Celebrimbor

There are actually two distinct meanings to words and language. The first -- the denotative meaning -- is the one you are most familiar with. It refers to what the word refers to.

The second type of meaning is called the connotative meaning. The connotative meaning of something has to do with what the word suggests to the individual, based on that person's experiences and emotional reactions and judgements associates with the word or what it refers to.

Think about how the words "Republican" and "Democrat" affect people differently. Those different reactions have to do with the connotative meaning of those words. Two people may understand, in objective terms what each of those word means, but what's most important is that those two words have different connotative meanings, and those differences explain why some people may react negatively to one or the other of those words.

To some of us a 12 man raid is just as unpleasant as a 6-man instance. So in my mind they are the same thing.
    [FONT=Ariel Unicode MS][COLOR=violet]?[/COLOR]ª"˜¨¨[COLOR=dodgerblue]?[/COLOR]ª"˜¨¨ ¯ ¯¨¨˜ª¤.¸`*•.¸*•¸[COLOR=darkorchid]?[/COLOR][SIZE="1"]?[/SIZE][COLOR=lightgreen]?[/COLOR] [B][SIZE="3"][COLOR=orchid]LOTRO[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][COLOR=lightgreen]?[/COLOR][SIZE="1"]?[/SIZE][COLOR=darkorchid]?[/COLOR]¸•*¸.•*´¸.¤ª˜¨¨¯¯¨¨˜"ª[COLOR=dodgerblue]?[/COLOR]¨¨˜"ª[COLOR=violet]?[/COLOR][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post
    There are actually two distinct meanings to words and language. The first -- the denotative meaning -- is the one you are most familiar with. It refers to what the word refers to.

The second type of meaning is called the connotative meaning. The connotative meaning of something has to do with what the word suggests to the individual, based on that person's experiences and emotional reactions and judgements associates with the word or what it refers to.

Think about how the words "Republican" and "Democrat" affect people differently. Those different reactions have to do with the connotative meaning of those words. Two people may understand, in objective terms what each of those word means, but what's most important is that those two words have different connotative meanings, and those differences explain why some people may react negatively to one or the other of those words.

To some of us a 12 man raid is just as unpleasant as a 6-man instance. So in my mind they are the same thing.
    I understand that, thanks. However, "Republican" and "Democrat" do have definitive meanings. Just because you feel something on top of the actual definition of those words because of your subjective bias doesn't mean they have another possible definition. Same with "raid" and "fellowship instance". Just because you don't like instances the same way you don't like raids doesn't mean their definitions are interchangeable. Only one is accurate at any given time.

I understand that, thanks. However, "Republican" and "Democrat" do have definitive meanings. Just because you feel something on top of the actual definition of those words because of your subjective bias doesn't mean they have another possible definition. Same with "raid" and "fellowship instance". Just because you don't like instances the same way you don't like raids doesn't mean their definitions are interchangeable. Only one is accurate at any given time.
    Clearly, you *don't* understand what was said. *Everyone* associates connotations with words.

Clearly, you *don't* understand what was said. *Everyone* associates connotations with words.
    Yes, but only SOME people ignore the actual definitions of words in order to substitute their own connotative definitions instead.

18. Re: Symbol of Celebrimbor

Yes, but only SOME people ignore the actual definitions of words in order to substitute their own connotative definitions instead.
    Actual definition of Raid from Webster's Dictionary:

Main Entry: raid
    Pronunciation: \ˈrād\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English (Scots) rade, from Old English rād ride, raid — more at road
    Date: 15th century
    1 a : a hostile or predatory incursion b : a surprise attack by a small force
    2 a : a brief foray outside one's usual sphere b : a sudden invasion by officers of the law c : a daring operation against a competitor d : the recruiting of personnel (as faculty, executives, or athletes) from competing organizations
    3 : the act of mulcting public money
    4 : an attempt by professional operators to depress stock prices by concerted selling

By this ACTUAL definition a 6-man is a raid. (see 1 a and b)

Definition of Raid from LOTRO handbook:
    A Raid is a separate copy of a building’s interior, a dungeon, or some piece of the game’s landscape. A Raiding Party is an alliance of up to four fellowships working together to win a pitched battle against an exceptionally powerful foe or force. Only the most dangerous of quests will require a Raiding Party to complete.

It says "up to four fellowships" it doesn't say "two to four" fellowships

You are trying to use your own definition of raid as it is sometimes used in a video game and you're telling us that we are wrong because we are not using the actual definition of the word?
    [FONT=Ariel Unicode MS][COLOR=violet]?[/COLOR]ª"˜¨¨[COLOR=dodgerblue]?[/COLOR]ª"˜¨¨ ¯ ¯¨¨˜ª¤.¸`*•.¸*•¸[COLOR=darkorchid]?[/COLOR][SIZE="1"]?[/SIZE][COLOR=lightgreen]?[/COLOR] [B][SIZE="3"][COLOR=orchid]LOTRO[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][COLOR=lightgreen]?[/COLOR][SIZE="1"]?[/SIZE][COLOR=darkorchid]?[/COLOR]¸•*¸.•*´¸.¤ª˜¨¨¯¯¨¨˜"ª[COLOR=dodgerblue]?[/COLOR]¨¨˜"ª[COLOR=violet]?[/COLOR][/FONT]

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon

For purposes of discussion in LOTRO, any event requiring 12 or more players is a raid.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2