We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Returning Loremaster, the class feels completely different.

I decided to level up from 1 again instead of picking up my 65 LM from back in the Moria expansion days. It really doesn't feel like the same class at all yet at level 30. I find that my Bog Guardian kills almost all landscape mobs before I have a chance to finish a second induction. Also some abilities don't look nearly as nice as they used to (Staff Strike, Wind Lore, Gust of Wind to name a few). Did they completely nerf Staff Strike and Flanked Sign of Battle usage or do they get better with higher abilities?

If Staff Strike is this weak at higher levels, I will be so sad, it was one of the things that really created character in the class.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1972 View Post
    I decided to level up from 1 again instead of picking up my 65 LM from back in the Moria expansion days. It really doesn't feel like the same class at all yet at level 30. I find that my Bog Guardian kills almost all landscape mobs before I have a chance to finish a second induction. Also some abilities don't look nearly as nice as they used to (Staff Strike, Wind Lore, Gust of Wind to name a few). Did they completely nerf Staff Strike and Flanked Sign of Battle usage or do they get better with higher abilities?

If Staff Strike is this weak at higher levels, I will be so sad, it was one of the things that really created character in the class.
    Sad, but you're right.
    Staff strike deals less damage than autoattacks on average, after you get dual-wielding. And indeed, flanking has been made nearly irrelevant as well, especially later on when you get water-lore (lvl 77), since WF is part of the default rotation, and now heals both morale and power.. you basically don't need to watch for flanks and hold off on some skills anymore. With HD, they really took away the most fun elements of the class.
    At least, later on, pets become less powerful relative to yourself, as their damage scales linearly, and player damage scales geometrically.

Oh and, GoW doesn't deserve to exist anymore in this form...

I don't understand the reasoning behind that, strategic use of flank mechanics and SS was one of the best parts of the LM. I can remember how exciting it was to get the SS cooldown bonuses on Artifacts.

I don't understand the reasoning behind that, strategic use of flank mechanics and SS was one of the best parts of the LM. I can remember how exciting it was to get the SS cooldown bonuses on Artifacts.
    Welcome to the new LM.

Second star to the right and straight until morning... til you reach Neverland...

Unhappy

YES!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcwen View Post
    Sad, but you're right.
    Staff strike deals less damage than autoattacks on average, after you get dual-wielding. And indeed, flanking has been made nearly irrelevant as well, especially later on when you get water-lore (lvl 77), since WF is part of the default rotation, and now heals both morale and power.. you basically don't need to watch for flanks and hold off on some skills anymore. With HD, they really took away the most fun elements of the class.
    At least, later on, pets become less powerful relative to yourself, as their damage scales linearly, and player damage scales geometrically.

Oh and, GoW doesn't deserve to exist anymore in this form...
    Alas... I signed in just to **sigh** at the loss that you two nailed for my lore-mistress.
    (I don't want to admit it, but I guess I better fess up... that I've been dabbling in another game/class with a couple kinmates who got bored. (Since I now have a new computer, I figured, sure I have space to try a new game.) It almost reminds me of LM (totally by accident choice pick, but the CC made itself shown as I played, and it got even better, omigosh!) with a pretty cool, much different and a semi-leveling (equipment) with you pet/comp system, and fun crowd control.)

I loved my LM, still do, but it is not the beauty it once was. At first (I felt) Moria messed up my LM's life, by making me choose trait setups because of penalties/bonuses. By the time I got used to it (in Moria beta), I lived in a 5y/2r setup (Staff-strike + whatever red trait). I still managed to live by the flank of my raven as I tanked with staff strike and the evasion/parry. Then I got my sabertooth pet, and STILL lived forever in Ancient Master. It did become a beautiful thing, able to compete (sometimes solo, depending on group) with bosses. There's one time I still can picture it, me kiting some bugger boss around with cracked root, debuffing the snot out of it, and continuing to do so, til it was defeated, much to my defeated fellowships delight! *squeee* And then after all that, I don't think think the loot mattered as much fun as I just had. The devs pretty much admitted defeat and gave bosses TOTAL cc immunity... so now LMs can only debuff & damage bosses, oh and Interrupt instead of CC! (Insert a friend's burglar CJ stories, and now we have CJ immune bosses in the mix. *groan*)

Here's an attempt to cut short the novel of bein' asked (I felt forced, yet did so willingly. I admit goin' all out lava aoe wasn't bad, but it was so... counter to my instincts to CC stuff...) to go all out Red in raids. It soon became very rare anyone asked me to do a yellow set up, where I would habbily oblige for my kinship at that time. Ost Dunhoth was a beauty, and I will definitely treasure those times goin' in Yellow here or there. Sadly, my first precious balrog/rift runs were ruined by the inability to cure the balrog puke/diseases that were (a very bugged) level 60+! How's a level 54 supposed to cure those!? I was slow to reach cap, still enjoying the journey in those days. But at least I could stundot, and it was my first valiant attempt with a dear ingame friend. (Whom no longer visits around to create Conga Lines.)

again... I **sigh**
    [FONT=comic sans ms][SIZE=1][COLOR=indigo][B][COLOR=#ff0000]!<3?![/COLOR][COLOR=darkorchid]Wargs Rule![/COLOR][/B][COLOR=red][B]!?<3! [/B][/COLOR][I][COLOR=#4169e1]But only because we have no playable feline races.[/COLOR][/I][/COLOR]
    [/SIZE][/FONT][RIGHT][CENTER][FONT=comic sans ms][SIZE=1][COLOR=plum]???s6u!?? 3?!?o?@? ?w ?o m3? @ 3?@ 3s3??[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][FONT=comic sans ms][SIZE=1][COLOR=plum][B][I][COLOR=magenta]*s6u!s*[/COLOR] [/I][/B][/COLOR][B][COLOR=plum]¡[/COLOR][/B][COLOR=plum]?w ?o[/COLOR][COLOR=indigo] [COLOR=red]?[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=plum]s3!6?@M pu@ 's3ss3??s!w-3?ol 's3s?l3[/COLOR][B][COLOR=red]?[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [FONT=comic sans ms][SIZE=1]
    [COLOR=royalblue][COLOR=lightblue][COLOR=magenta]Founder & Altoholic:[/COLOR] playing wargies and loremistresses since 2006 SoA beta.[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=darkorange]*Jingle Jangle!*
    [U][COLOR=#ed2669]A "lifetime" of play on: [B]Elendilmir (RIP)[/B], Crick, Landy, & more. [/COLOR][/U][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/RIGHT]

You listed the mainreasons for me to lay my LM to rest. I could live without a ragend damage debuff and all the bugs in the yellow tree, but these two things killed LM-fun for me.

adding another *sigh*

https://youtu.be/F6BjomyvpTg
    Somehow it fits my feeling about lotro and especially LM.

not to forget the old group wound/disease cure /stun immunity

the fact that u cant use the ranged debuff(and others) properly on multiple targets as well, if u use the wind-lore spread tactic, u just remove the ranged debuff, and apply another 1....
    Not to mention the fact that you sometimes have to cast fire-lore a wooping 12 times before it even applies once, cause they still haven't fixed this bug since the moment they introduced the new trait system.

Spilo has a good thread about all the buggy things of lms, and the things we lms like to see changed, might be worthwhile to read

How are you enjoying your revamp?

Gotta remember to cast that Windlore for that +1% INCOMING TACTICAL DAMAGE for MAXIMUM EFFICIENCY!11!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by frost702 View Post

Gotta remember to cast that Windlore for that +1% INCOMING TACTICAL DAMAGE for MAXIMUM EFFICIENCY!11!!!!
    Nah, it's not THAT bad.. it increases all kinds of damage by 1%, and can stack 3 times for a whopping +3% incoming damage.
    It however suffers from the resistance bug, so actually it's more like 75% chance to apply/tier up the debuff. And it has 5s cd 10s duration and a 2.5s animation, so you better spam it to keep it at 3%.. maybe (cause you know.. resists).

Or.. you trait for it and use it for it's actually useful purpose, spreading/refreshing fire/frost lore (maybe.. resists *cough*):P

Quote Originally Posted by frost702 View Post

I don't really understand why they changed the class the way they did at all. I try to not even use the Bog Lurker pet or it just one or two shots all of the mobs before I can get a cast off half the time. Staff Strike is so sad now. It's still the LM but it's not the LM of old. Maybe I'll just go ahead and play SS and flank LM for the heck of it since leveling up seems many times easier now. I just finished the Lake Evendim area and literally nothing was a challenge. I remember spending hours and hours getting through the wood troll part of that zone before, now I just press 'pet attack' and there is no danger at all.

I don't really understand why they changed the class the way they did at all. I try to not even use the Bog Lurker pet or it just one or two shots all of the mobs before I can get a cast off half the time. Staff Strike is so sad now. It's still the LM but it's not the LM of old. Maybe I'll just go ahead and play SS and flank LM for the heck of it since leveling up seems many times easier now. I just finished the Lake Evendim area and literally nothing was a challenge. I remember spending hours and hours getting through the wood troll part of that zone before, now I just press 'pet attack' and there is no danger at all.
    Supposedly they wanted to make the classes easier (To the horror of every beta-tester that managed to see these atrocities Turbine called classes before it went live. Trust me, those betatesters tried everything to get Turbine to reconsider) but they really just turned everything into DPS (or insane healing) machines while mostly removing what made classes unique. Really just shat all over the game.

What we have isn't a loremaster anymore, it's pretty much a guy with a staff that directs his one-shotter pet to hapless targets until max level. Then it's another aoe DPS machine with some flashy spells that attack everyone's framerates especially in PVP.

Also, about the game, they removed 99.99% of the challenge in leveling. You can most likely just wear yellow gear & autoattack enemies and still win. Or wear nothing at all and use your pet to kill.

The only thing about the game that can be called 'hard' is level 100 scaled t2c instances that don't even drop anything worthwhile for the gear it takes to run them. Also it's pretty hard to find the motivation to level an alt these days because questing is so damn slow, but that's about it.
    Last edited by frost702; Mar 23 2015 at 07:13 PM. Reason: added scaled t2c instances because BBs arent hard at all