We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: NDA Lifted :: Changes ARE positive for hunters

Quote Originally Posted by FolklegendRedux View Post
    Which is exactly why I'm not getting SoM until at least after the first patch. I'm tired of the "buff to get subs then nerf the next patch" game.
    We're not going to get nerfed because we are still underpowered in groups vs. Champs and Runekeepers. Not a whole lot has changed for Hunters from what I have seen really.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0100000e869c/signature.png]Burnbabyburn[/charsig]
    Ninja

There's nothing worth nerfing, this isn't MoM. The only thing that might be problematic is the new Barbed Arrow bleed in PvP but that can be addressed with a PvP only adjustment or by making it curable.
    [LEFT][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]7 Level 65s: Champ, Hunter, Guardian, Captain, RK, LM, Burglar[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=YellowGreen] [B]All of them are sick of grinding Scrolls of Empowerment[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=Red][B]Awaiting change...[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [/LEFT]

Quote Originally Posted by SaintBass View Post
    For solo S:S work, I have been getting good results with QS>PS>Barbed>PS>NH>ISB as an opening sequence. It gets your bleed and slow in early enough to get ISB off without setback and still leaves you in a good place to get a good chain of insta-cast skills off once the mob closes to melee.
    I just want to second this rotation, QS>PS>Barbed>PS>NH>ISB is definitely great for your default button mashing.
    "For them to perceive the advantage of defeating the enemy, they must also have their rewards." ~Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Erasmus354 View Post
    We're not going to get nerfed because we are still underpowered in groups vs. Champs and Runekeepers. Not a whole lot has changed for Hunters from what I have seen really.
    Perhaps, but to be fair to Turbine, if I were looking into hunter DPS and I knew that induction timing & animations were strangling AAs and other damage, I'd be cautious about buffing us too much too -- at least until I saw the results and had some parses, as the changes in the new system might free up DPS more than anticipated. Once the affect of the changes to the combat system were apparent, then I'd create set a high end of the scale target DPS range and choose structured changes to try to hit that target.

Since the system is only now really working and the animations only now really cruising, I think its time to do see the results by playing a week or two in SoM. If we're still lackluster, and I agree that it's not unreasonable to suspect we will be, then we'll let them know. They're working with us right now, so let's work with them. Run some groups, log your responses, and describe your experience.

Prior to SoM hitting live and the game really getting tested, if I were in their shoes, I'd be skeptical about generalized comments about how hunters are doing. After a week of hunters trying it out and providing consistent feedback, well, that's another matter.

I think we'll iron things out best if both we and the devs keep communications going. But, as ever, we'll see.

For solo S:S work, I have been getting good results with QS>PS>Barbed>PS>NH>ISB as an opening sequence. It gets your bleed and slow in early enough to get ISB off without setback and still leaves you in a good place to get a good chain of insta-cast skills off once the mob closes to melee.
    Totally OT, but those are some great articles in your sig. Either you know video game gospel when you see it, or you're David Wong and you know how to preach it. Either way thanks.

I disagree about "ammo starvation" in the Gamer's Manifesto piece. If you're at war then logistics are way more than half the battle; if you can't keep yourself supplied, then you're gonna lose and you're gonna die and the enemy is gonna marry your girlfriend. Just like Sun Tzu says. It adds excitement & reward to a game if done right (and pure carpet-biting frustration if done on the cheap), but then I like logical, cause-and-effect game environments, living economies, usable terrain, all that kind of thing.

That quibble aside, everything else is just righteous, Rant-King type material. I could literally feel the rage building and it was good.
    Last edited by Smashkilleat; Nov 19 2009 at 12:30 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/012030000000c5146/01001/signature.png]Bootleg[/charsig]

[URL="http://my.lotro.com/smashkilleat/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"][SIZE="3"][B]Come see Smashkilleat blog. Blooooggghhh![/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Smashkilleat View Post
    Totally OT, but those are some great articles in your sig. Either you know video game gospel when you see it, or you're David Wong and you know how to preach it. Either way thanks.

I disagree about "ammo starvation" in the Gamer's Manifesto piece. If you're at war then logistics are way more than half the battle; if you can't keep yourself supplied, then you're gonna lose and you're gonna die and the enemy is gonna marry your girlfriend. Just like Sun Tzu says. It adds excitement & reward to a game if done right (and pure carpet-biting frustration if done on the cheap), but then I like logical, cause-and-effect game environments, living economies, usable terrain, all that kind of thing.

That quibble aside, everything else is just righteous, Rant-King type material. I could literally feel the rage building and it was good.

Thanks! I am not David Wong, its just that I was going to write some similar articles myself so, instead of nubbing it up and write something that was already covered, I did some searching. I also found some great stuff on gamasutra, but did not have enough room in my sig for all of it.

In terms of the ammo starvation, I mostly agree with you in that in a lot of games and situations, you have to find a balance between conserving your resources and actually getting the job done... but some games take it to a whole new level. Resident Evil 5 made me want to kill puppies since the way they decided to "balance" the good weapons was to make them OP but only allow a few rounds.
    [CENTER][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. [/COLOR] [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by NameAlreadyTaken View Post
    There's nothing worth nerfing, this isn't MoM. The only thing that might be problematic is the new Barbed Arrow bleed in PvP but that can be addressed with a PvP only adjustment or by making it curable.
    This would be my only concern as well. Does 5 or 6 hunter dots stacking break things? Are the hunters dots more powerful than other classes'? If so then I could see an adjustment (like you say curable in pvmp or something similar).

I hope that is scrutinized before launch. I don't want to see another nerf with the first patch following release.
    Centuries ago, in primitive times, before the dawn of civilization, there were things that would be inconceivable to us today; such things as poverty, disease, violence, senility, and love.

Quote Originally Posted by FyreBrand View Post
    This would be my only concern as well. Does 5 or 6 hunter dots stacking break things? Are the hunters dots more powerful than other classes'? If so then I could see an adjustment (like you say curable in pvmp or something similar).

I hope that is scrutinized before launch. I don't want to see another nerf with the first patch following release.
    Bingo. When have these things ever been fully tested, and when have they ever missed an opportunity to nerf Hunters? This didn't start with Moria.
    Whiskeysam Mcgee - Hunter, Fisherman, Inn League Member

"Using a bow to stand upright since the Second Age"

Quote Originally Posted by FyreBrand View Post
    Are the hunters dots more powerful than other classes'?
    I very seriously doubt our BA DoT could ever be as powerful as RK's Fiery Ridiculte DoT. That thing is insane. I've duoed my RK up through the Bree quests/Book 1 with my husband's RK and the way 2 RKs blow things up is just stupid. Fun... but stupid. I'll be first in line to tar and feather the Dev that nerfs BA DoT b/c it's too powerful when stacked.
    [COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Red]Ayrolen[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrange]Anikosi[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Anfribur[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Ametrine[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Amari[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Ayaneth[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Red]Asparagus[/COLOR]-[COLOR=SandyBrown]Anayalos[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Alyradal[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Aloe[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Asiago[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Altanoin[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]
    7 Haven Way, Tund Loriel, Falathlorn Homesteads
    [COLOR=White]Elendilmir[/COLOR] Arda Shrugged -[COLOR=White]Crickhollow[/COLOR] The Colonists[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

The DOT from Brutal Assault is stronger than ours unless you use Burn Hot. The bleed from Salt the Wound is comparable to what you get in 3 Bowmaster S:Strength. I'm pretty sure Champ, Captain, and Burglar DOTs all got some form of increase too but I don't remember their numbers. None of those compare to RK.
    [LEFT][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]7 Level 65s: Champ, Hunter, Guardian, Captain, RK, LM, Burglar[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=YellowGreen] [B]All of them are sick of grinding Scrolls of Empowerment[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=Red][B]Awaiting change...[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [/LEFT]

Thanks for the feedback.
    Centuries ago, in primitive times, before the dawn of civilization, there were things that would be inconceivable to us today; such things as poverty, disease, violence, senility, and love.

I very seriously doubt our BA DoT could ever be as powerful as RK's Fiery Ridiculte DoT. That thing is insane. I've duoed my RK up through the Bree quests/Book 1 with my husband's RK and the way 2 RKs blow things up is just stupid. Fun... but stupid. I'll be first in line to tar and feather the Dev that nerfs BA DoT b/c it's too powerful when stacked.
    Esp since we're going to have to be trading morale for power, all things being equal, and will thus be squishier, esp w/o the ability to switch to healing. Surely this has been tested with an eye to group performance?

Quote Originally Posted by Suvi View Post
    Here is your new 30 radiance set graphic.

Suvi, that armor does NOT make you look fat, I don't care what anyone else says
    Last edited by EustaceTrevelyan; Nov 20 2009 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom12 View Post
    There were a handful of items (mostly around the L50 range) that lost some strength in their rating-based stats.

[item]Ferolloch[/item]'s ranged crit dropped from 212 to 106
    [item]Forochel's Majesty[/item]'s evade dropped from 414 to 204
    [item]Earring of Discovery[/item]'s ranged crit dropped from 204 to 102
    [armour]Elrond's Exquisite Cloak[/armour]'s evade dropped from 430 to 212
    [item]Textured Gold Necklace[/item]'s wound resist dropped from 424 to 318
    [item]Ora's Band[/item]'s parry dropped from 192 to 96
    [item]Ranger-make Ring[/item]'s parry dropped from 212 to 106
    [item]Goblin-town Gem[/item]'s parry dropped from 212 to 106

I imagine there are others, but those are ones I still had either in use or in a vault.
    Sigh. I was using several of those. I wish they could leave year old content well enough alone. It's extremely confusing, and it gets frustrating when I've already sold off on something that would now have been superior.

-R
    Russano I was in my youth, in the game that is forgotten.

Halving ratings is a pretty big change. I wonder why they had to do it.

"There are many powers in the world, for good and for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming. "

The legacy pools are out in today's Dev Diary. It seems to me that

# Merciful Shot cooldown (new)
    # Strength Quick Shot Slow
    # Quick Shot Critical Rating

should be in the situational pool (B) and not the all-purpose, greatly desired pool (A).

"There are many powers in the world, for good and for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming. "

Quote Originally Posted by NotYetMeasured View Post
    Halving ratings is a pretty big change. I wonder why they had to do it.
    Honestly, I was shocked they didn't do it at MoM release. I'm guessing that they hoped (rightly, it seems) that most of that equipment would fall out of use. If you look at the jewellery that's been released since, it's clear that those bonuses are out of line with the current thoughts on item statting.
    The smallest mimes of the gods of snow do not wish at all in their life that the great duty of the defences of the wine be diminished.

I will say again, like I have said many, many times, Find the Path Movement Bonus is NOT a pool A legacy.
    [CENTER][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. [/COLOR] [/CENTER]

I will say again, like I have said many, many times, Find the Path Movement Bonus is NOT a pool A legacy.
    Really? I see two Pool As I definitely would take it over, and only two Pool Bs that I would prefer over it.

What tactical advantage does it provide?

Just because something is more desirable than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, does not make it "good."
    Last edited by SaintBass; Nov 20 2009 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Removed inappropriate references

Absolutely agreed. People would be pissed off if we had a legacy that lessened the induction on Porting skills, this is the same thing. Convenient and useless.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0220400000008bdab/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by NameAlreadyTaken View Post
    It's like I'm Bizarro Findros. Nothing makes sense any more.
    Life am good?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000000999e5/01005/signature.png]Ixzard[/charsig]

Well, if all of this is the case, perhaps this means that I can finally take my Hunter up again and not have to feel so.....weak....Hell, Im just glad that ISB has apparently been "fixed" and that Barbed Arrow is actually going to be worth using instead of just collecting dust in my skills menu.

Now, if they'd just get rid of the glowing "Neon Sign" for when you're using HS that'd be perfect . Of course, that's just me nit-picking atm and is totally livable if that never happened .
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/062050000000fb360/01003/signature.png]Isilrhion[/charsig]
    "Im not Insane, I'm out of sane....It's on back order so we're not too sure when we'll have it in stock again."

Quote Originally Posted by Isilrion View Post
    Well, if all of this is the case, perhaps this means that I can finally take my Hunter up again and not have to feel so.....weak....Hell, Im just glad that ISB has apparently been "fixed" and that Barbed Arrow is actually going to be worth using instead of just collecting dust in my skills menu.

Now, if they'd just get rid of the glowing "Neon Sign" for when you're using HS that'd be perfect . Of course, that's just me nit-picking atm and is totally livable if that never happened .
    You can burn hot in stealth now, burn hot > ISB > PS > MS should be fun times in the moors, the only place you would care about the HS reticule.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0220400000008bdab/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [/CENTER]

^

I mainly use the reticule to scare off creeps, from camo I dump ISB>PS>(hopefully)MS
    [COLOR=CYAN][SIZE=3]Hat Beerbane, Former .xls Wizard and Hunter Blogger[/SIZE]
    [/color]

HS my butt. Thats not nearly as scary as The Pariah walking out to the Moors.

Last time I went to the moors I rode in behinde the raid on STAB and charged past em, dismounted and then ran into the front door of TA. All the Creeps ran off screaming, "OH NO ITS HIM! RUN AWAY!"

( Disclaimer= Dont worry people the real reason they ran was because the raid saw me rush in and followed me for some easy pickins. So me by myself + 15 other Freeps = one heck of a flush time in TA )

If they make a Class Trait for Porting Faster Im calling Turbine and asking them why the hell would you do that since WE CANT PORT IN COMBAT! What the hell does it matter to port faster when your up to nothing at all? You in THAT MUCH OF A HURRY to go to Bree you need 3 seconds shaved off your port time? Seriouslly. Of all the things to make the class better people want this?

You know what I want for Christmas? A stick. SO I CAN BURN IT FOR HEAT!

Now THATS practical.
    Pariah Amistacia - Nimrodel - Leader of the Devils of Angmar

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast