We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Unhappy error 4000 ??? can't update

Ok, heres the deal, sometimes when i log on, an error 40000 message comes up. I've checked the technical support FAQs and was told to uninstall and reinstall .Net framework 1.1 and .Net framework 1.1 service pack. I did this and the error still comes up. What do I do now?

Re: error 4000 ??? can't update

My knee jerk reactions if for you to try using a registry cleaner.

The huge porblem with registry cleaners is that some are great, some are good, some are bad, and some are viruses.

Check around with your friends and guildmates and see if they recommend any.

The last one I used was something called Tweak Now Reg Cleaner. I downloaded it from the CNet site.

It had a bunch of stuff/cleaners on it but the only one I used was the registry cleaner. As far as I can tell it did not screw up my Win XP system. I do not know if it actually fixed anything but it claims to have removed 119 bad registry entries.

I know this sounds like an endorsement but I do not mean it to be. I am only saying that so far it did not screw me up. Go and ask your friends about using any registry cleaner and see if they have suggestions for you.

I've used CCleaner before and it seems to do a decent job. It allows you to scan first and choose what to delete. However, you still have to be careful when using it so you don't goof up the registry. It was recommended to me by one of the guys from tech support where I work.
    "Everyone's got one. Better to be a smart one than a dumb one." - me
    "It's people like you that [I]think[/I] you know everything that give those of us that [I]do[/I] a bad name." - me
    "Eat, drink, and be Merry, 'cause Pippin was a fool of a Took."

Unhappy Re: error 4000 ??? can't update

Ok, i already have Ccleaner which is pretty good but not the deepest scanner and i downloaded a deeper one and still nothing. Is there anyway to manually install updates?

40000 is most often a permissions issue with patching. First thing to check is see if "All Users" have full read/write permission to the "Turbine" folder (and subfolders/files):
    • Open C:\Program Files\ ("C:\Program Files (x86)" if its a 64bit OS)
    • Right-click the "Turbine" folder and choose Properties
    • Switch to the "Security" tab
    • Look for "Everyone" or "Users" in the list and make sure "Full Control" access is enabled, if not click Edit and activate it in the permissions area (Add the "Everyone" or "Users" option if it is not listed in the same dialog)
    If it still comes up definitely open a support request.