We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Re: The Fellowship's Path Through Moria

Quote Originally Posted by Reddhawk View Post
    So you think you found the seven foot chasm that Pippin was afraid to jump over? Any chance you can get the coordinates of the area?
    You would think after months of playing this game, I would stop being surprised at Turbine's attention to detail. Silly me. This is amazing....
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000009263b/01003/signature.png]Arasilion[/charsig]

Re: The Fellowship's Path Through Moria

So you think you found the seven foot chasm that Pippin was afraid to jump over? Any chance you can get the coordinates of the area?
    yeah i have the cords here: 6.5s, 112.6w...

now weather this is it or not i dont know but it seemed to me to be it
    Last edited by ilikeham49; Jun 21 2009 at 09:08 PM.

Ohio, where we never have any adventures or do anything unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeham49 View Post
    yeah i have the cords here: 6.5s, 112.6w...

now weather this is it or not i dont know but it seemed to me to be it
    I think I know the area you're referring to. I'll have to go back sometime and look around a bit.

Another possibility I'm considering, which would cause my path to be slightly revised, is that the Fellowship passed through the Palace of Náin and then down through the cave-like opening leading (past the stone circle) to Manarbul. This could account for the seven foot gap, because the stairs leading down from the palace are broken, leaving a drop off below.
    [COLOR=yellowgreen][B]"Pure creation is like a vacation."[/B][/COLOR]
    [INDENT]- Welby of Landroval[/INDENT]

it was something like that i just followed your map and found a little pot hole cliff thing i thought it might be it sense it would seem like a crevce to a small hobbit

Honestly, I couldn't have asked for a better virtual read-along tour to Moria.

Huge kudos to Red and the Devs for attention paid, and time spent.

Red's is paid in thanks and awe, but honestly, that's a currency that'll never lose value.

/curtsey

-Allishiel

Huzzah! Amazing job Red! I eagerly anticipate any forthcoming photo-journeys You certainly have a knack for this.
    ~Officer of the Black Knight Brotherhood (BKB) on Elendilmir~
    ~Herudraug, Hound of Barahish. Rank 4 Warg on Elendilmir~
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000001cd8/signature.png]Darron[/charsig]
    Not all those who wander are lost. Just me. Now where did that refrigerator get to?

Redd, do you undestand German? When I saw the thread title I thought this was a pure copy of a similar thread in the German forums found here (Link in German).
    But while the way is more or less the same the pictures are different so I know you did a great amount of work. Your descriptions are even more detailed than the German ones.

Thumbs up, a GREAT thread.
    "Into the night
    Soon he disappears
    And in the back the attack of the black riders start" - [URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVija7KfL80]Frodo's Dream, Van Canto[/URL]

I nominated Reddhawk to have the title

"Player's Resident Lore Monkey"

or
    "Lore Monkey's appentince"

:P

Excellent work; thanks for posting this!
    It wouldn't be LotRO without players complaining about gifts.

"If... that's the complaint, then I shall wipe the wet track of the single tear making its way down my cheek, and find a way to move on." -Floon

Quote Originally Posted by Adalas View Post
    Redd, do you undestand German? When I saw the thread title I thought this was a pure copy of a similar thread in the German forums found here (Link in German).
    But while the way is more or less the same the pictures are different so I know you did a great amount of work. Your descriptions are even more detailed than the German ones.

Thumbs up, a GREAT thread.

Interesting that you should ask. I'm actually half-german and a dual citizen of both Germany and the U.S., but I'm afraid that while I can understand a decent amount of the language, I'm by no means fluent. That being said, the link you posted is interesting and eerily similar to my own thread, but I can assure you this is the first I've seen of it. Aside from my differing photos, I'd also point out that their path has the Fellowship passing over the Dwarf-lord's Gate. As you may have noticed (http://forums.lotro.com/showpost.php...4&postcount=28), I've said that this wouldn't be the correct path, because the lore tells us quite certainly that the Fellowship heard trickling water, but never actually saw it. Taking this path, they would most certainly have seen the twin waterfalls of the Dwarf-lord's gate and heard much more than a mere trickle.

Interesting that you should ask. I'm actually half-german and a dual citizen of both Germany and the U.S., but I'm afraid that while I can understand a decent amount of the language, I'm by no means fluent. That being said, the link you posted is interesting and eerily similar to my own thread, but I can assure you this is the first I've seen of it. Aside from my differing photos, I'd also point out that their path has the Fellowship passing over the Dwarf-lord's Gate. As you may have noticed (http://forums.lotro.com/showpost.php...4&postcount=28), I've said that this wouldn't be the correct path, because the lore tells us quite certainly that the Fellowship heard trickling water, but never actually saw it. Taking this path, they would most certainly have seen the twin waterfalls of the Dwarf-lord's gate and heard much more than a mere trickle.
    Perhaps this is just stereotyping by culture, but for some reason I'm not surprised that it was a German and a dual-citizen German-American who did this.

Deutschland für immer!
    [URL="http://austinhwilliams.com"]Austin H Williams.com [/URL]- Because I don't just troll the Landroval coffee house. • [URL="http://beritnewyork.com"]Berít New York[/URL] - New York's finest steampunk couture!
    [COLOR=cyan]Osten[/COLOR][COLOR=cyan][SIZE=1](M/LM/58)[/SIZE][/COLOR] - [COLOR=plum][COLOR=red]Seaneen[/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=red](E/CH/20)[/COLOR][/SIZE] - [/COLOR][COLOR=red][COLOR=lime]Fenn[/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=lime](M/CA/16)[/COLOR][/SIZE] - [/COLOR][COLOR=seagreen]Britniel[SIZE=1](E/HU/13)[/SIZE] -[/COLOR] [COLOR=deepskyblue]Hethrengel[SIZE=1](E/GU/15)[/SIZE][/COLOR][COLOR=silver] - Wahnsingr[SIZE=1](E/RK/17)[/SIZE][/COLOR][COLOR=Black] - Arsanvenga[/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=Black](C/WL/R0)[/COLOR][/SIZE][URL="http://austinhwilliams.com"]
    [/URL]

Insanity, I just lost my jaw. It fell to the floor when I saw this next to your post...

Its taken me 18 months to get to 2000... You sir, are some sort of troll
    Last edited by sir-rinthian; Jun 22 2009 at 10:45 PM.
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by sir-rinthian View Post
    You sir, are some sort of troll
    Nay, he's the troll-king! He's got the highest post count on the forums.

Simply, amazing

Great job, enjoyed the read
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000010d5a7/01001/signature.png]Shambles[/charsig]

Simply awesome work, Reddhawk, both you and Turbine. /signed for sticky
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000001008f5/01003/signature.png]Thorontir[/charsig]

Thumbs up Re: The Fellowship's Path Through Moria

Amazing work, thank you!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000123e2f/01008/signature.png]Shellaneyr[/charsig]

My hat goes off to the original poster for putting this together but also to the entire Turbine MOM team for being so faithful to the original work! Thank you!

Incredible, you must have put so much work into this. So well done, I think it made me understand the way moria is drawed a lot better
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000000d9308/01008/signature.png]Lauriadir[/charsig]

Very well done. I enjoyed reading it very much.
    Jeffaman-Guarding Hobbit Jeffro-Burgling Hobbit Tinulaurien-Elf Lore Master Cephus-Champion of Men Lilnooblet-Hunting Hobbit Jeffrandir-Snooty Elf Rune-keeper- All of Brandywine
    Long live the halflings! Praise them with great praise!
    RIP Nidor - Brandywine's bravest warrior

Very nicely done.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000001c3c8a/01007/signature.png]Brithiac[/charsig]

The Journey of Gandalf

Although I have already chronicled the Fellowship's path through Moria, there is one member whose fate has not been fully detailed. Following another request, I have decided to revisit Moria once more. Here now is a chronicle of Gandalf's journey as he fought against the Balrog from the very bowels beneath Middle-earth to the pinnacle of the heavens above.

Here is the path taken by Gandalf in his struggle with Durin's Bane.

Last edited by Reddhawk; Jul 18 2009 at 07:37 PM.

The Bridge of Khazad-dûm to The Bridge-shard

From, The Fellowship of the Ring, Ch. 5: The Bridge of Khazad-dûm:
    At that moment Gandalf lifted his staff, and crying aloud he smote the bridge before him. The staff broke asunder and fell from his hand. A blinding sheet of white flame sprang up. The bridge cracked. Right at the Balrog's feet it broke, and the stone upon which it stood crashed into the gulf, while the rest remained, poised, quivering like a tongue of rock thrust out into emptiness.

[The Bridge of Khazad-dûm]

With a terrible cry the Balrog fell forward, and its shadow plunged down and vanished. But even as it fell it swung its whip, and the thongs lashed and curled about the wizard's knees, dragging him to the brink. He staggered and fell, grasped vainly at the stone, and slid into the abyss. 'Fly, you fools!' he cried, and was gone.

The fires went out, and blank darkness fell. The Company stood rooted with horror staring into the pit. Even as Aragorn and Boromir came flying back, the rest of the bridge cracked and fell. With a cry Aragorn roused them.

[The spanned abyss]

From, The Two Towers, Ch. 5: The White Rider:
    'I have stayed already too long,' answered Gandalf. 'Time is short. But if there were a year to spend, I would not tell you all.'

'Then tell us what you will, and time allows!' said Gimli. 'Come, Gandalf, tell us how you fared with the Balrog!'

'Name him not!' said Gandalf, and for a moment it seemed that a cloud of pain passed over his face, and he sat silent, looking old as death. 'Long time I fell,' he said at last, slowly, as if thinking back with difficulty. 'Long I fell, and he fell with me. His fire was about me. I was burned. Then we plunged into the deep water and all was dark. Cold it was as the tide of death: almost it froze my heart.'

[The subterranean lake in the Foundations of Stone]
    Last edited by Reddhawk; Jul 18 2009 at 07:51 PM.

The Bridge-shard to The Endless Stair

'Deep is the abyss that is spanned by Durin's Bridge, and none has measured it,' said Gimli.

'Yet it has a bottom, beyond light and knowledge,' said Gandalf. 'Thither I came at last, to the uttermost foundations of stone. He was with me still. His fire was quenched, but now he was a thing of slime, stronger than a strangling snake.

[The Bridge-shard]

'We fought far under the living earth, where time is not counted. Ever he clutched me, and ever I hewed him, till at last he fled into dark tunnels.

[A dark tunnel through the Foundations of Stone]

They were not made by Durin's folk, Gimli son of Glóin. Far, far below the deepest delving of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he.

[An ancient nameless thing]

Now I have walked there, but I will bring no report to darken the light of day. In that despair my enemy was my only hope, and I pursued him, clutching at his heel. Thus he brought me back at last to the secret ways of Khazad-dûm: too well he knew them all. Ever up now we went, until we came to the Endless Stair.'

[The Endless Stair]

Last edited by Reddhawk; Jul 18 2009 at 07:57 PM.

The Endless Stair to Durin's Tower

'Long has that been lost,' said Gimli. 'Many have said that it was never made save in legend, but others say that it was destroyed.'

'It was made, and it had not been destroyed,' said Gandalf. 'From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak it climbed, ascending in unbroken spiral in many thousand steps, until it issued at last in Durin's Tower carved in the living rock of Zirakzigil, the pinnacle of the Silvertine.

[The ascending steps of the Endless Stair]

[Durin's Tower]

'There upon Celebdil was a lonely window in the snow, and before it lay a narrow space, a dizzy eyrie above the mists of the world.

[Durin's Tower above the mists of the world]
    Last edited by Reddhawk; Jul 18 2009 at 08:02 PM.

Durin's Tower to Caras Galadhon

The sun shone fiercely there, but all below was wrapped in cloud.

[Zirakzigil wrapped in cloud]

Out he sprang, and even as I came behind, he burst into new flame. There was none to see, or perhaps in after ages songs would still be sung of the Battle of the Peak.' Suddenly Gandalf laughed. 'But what would they say in song? Those that looked up from afar thought that the mountain was crowned with storm. Thunder they heard, and lightning, they said, smote upon Celebdil, and leaped back broken into tongues of fire. Is not that enough? A great smoke rose about us, vapour and steam. Ice fell like rain. I threw down my enemy, and he fell from the high place and broke the mountain-side where he smote it in his ruin. Then darkness took me, and I strayed out of thought and time, and I wandered far on roads that I will not tell.

[The broken mountain-side]

[The ruination of Durin's Bane]

'Naked I was sent back - for a brief time, until my task is done. And naked I lay upon the mountain-top. The tower behind was crumbled into dust, the window gone; the ruined stair was choked with burned and broken stone. I was alone, forgotten, without escape upon the hard horn of the world. There I lay staring upward, while the stars wheeled over, and each day was as long as a life-age of the earth. Faint to my ears came the gathered rumour of all lands: the springing and the dying, the song and the weeping, and the slow everlasting groan of overburdened stone. And so at the last Gwaihir the Windlord found me again, and he took me up and bore me away.

[. . .]

'Thus it was that I came to Caras Galadhon and found you but lately gone. I tarried there in the ageless time of that land where days bring healing not decay. Healing I found, and I was clothed in white. Counsel I gave and counsel took. Thence by strange roads I came, and messages I bring to some of you.

[Caras Galadhon - The City of Trees]

[. . .]

'In happy hour you have returned to us, Gandalf,' cried the Dwarf, capering as he sang loudly in the strange dwarf-tongue. 'Come, come!' he shouted, swinging his axe. 'Since Gandalf's head is now sacred, let us find one that it is right to cleave!'

'That will not be far to seek,' said Gandalf, rising from his seat. 'Come! We have spent all the time that is allowed to a meeting of parted friends. Now there is need of haste.'
    Last edited by Reddhawk; Jul 18 2009 at 08:11 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast