We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Why aragorn dont use army of the dead to assault the blackgate

as far as i know , isildur cursed them because they didnt help him in the war.

and aragorn promised release if they helped him.

but whats the reason aragorn released them after pellennor fields battle ? isnt it better if he keep them for their next assault at the black gate ? or aragorn know that sauron can influence this army of dead and turned it against him ?

as a side note.. i with the movie implement that mouth of sauron scene.. the extended DVD scene featuring mouth of sauron lack the tense moment in the book.. the mouth of sauron feels comical and the west captains+gandalf looked weak..
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000003df53/01006/signature.png]Thissa[/charsig]

2. Re: Why aragorn dont use army of the dead to assault the blackgate

Aragorn released them because they did help him. That was the deal and Aragorn is not a person to break or twist his word.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000009263b/01003/signature.png]Arasilion[/charsig]

Re: Why aragorn dont use army of the dead to assault the blackgate

there were black ships filled with pirates (croassairs?) that if they got to pelenor gondor (and most certanly the clavery of rohan) would have fallen and sauron would win. you dont think a over powered hunter elf, a dwarf champ, the captin of the rangers, and a army of 30 rangers (probebly could do some damage though) could solo all those enemies. they needed the oath breakers. then i think also the oath breakers began to worship sauron and thats the reason for not going to war with him so they might have not wanted to go fight the guy they worshiped also. they probebly just wanted to be released.

so like arasilion said they helped him with a very big task hence their oath was fullfilled and they could rest in peace
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000001f6371/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

At the time Aragorn didn't know he would be marching to Mordor to challenge Sauron. At the time he called on the Dead, his only need was to defend Gondor.

Who went over there and threw a brick through their window?

Heres a big, big misconception. They werent at the battle of pellanor fields. That was one of the biggest mistakes made in the movies. They actually wiped out the corsairs way downriver, then helped to clear off all the forces that had kept most of Gondors army from being at Gondor. With those enemies gone, Aragorn was able to gather up most of Gondors strength and attack the orc army in the rear with it. And as the others have said, Aragorn didn't think he would be attacking Mordor. No one would have thought that, it was just plain crazy. As Gimli said in the movie, certainty of death and a small chance of success.
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

Plus wasn't their curse because they did not help the King defend Gondor, which by helping Aragorn they did defend Gondor which broke the curse.
    So even if Aragorn had tried "help me until this date/event" I don't think it would have worked.

Been reading alot of different stuff lately so may be mixing stories together.

Cool Re: Why aragorn dont use army of the dead to assault the blackgate

Quote Originally Posted by DPRIJADI1 View Post

but whats the reason aragorn released them after pellennor fields battle ? isnt it better if he keep them for their next assault at the black gate ?
    Unfortunately, it was a stipulation of the contract Aragorn negotiated with their union lawyers. As fearless as Aragorn was, he still knew better than to cross them.
    [CENTER][I][FONT=Garamond]* * *
    [/FONT][/I][FONT=Palatino Linotype]"From without the World, though all things may be forethought in music or foreshown in vision from afar, to those who enter verily into Eä each in its time shall be met at unawares as something new and unforetold."[/FONT]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by sir-rinthian View Post
    Heres a big, big misconception. They werent at the battle of pellanor fields. That was one of the biggest mistakes made in the movies. They actually wiped out the corsairs way downriver, then helped to clear off all the forces that had kept most of Gondors army from being at Gondor. With those enemies gone, Aragorn was able to gather up most of Gondors strength and attack the orc army in the rear with it. And as the others have said, Aragorn didn't think he would be attacking Mordor. No one would have thought that, it was just plain crazy. As Gimli said in the movie, certainty of death and a small chance of success.
    i know about the corsair ship massacre , its in the book and in the movie's extended DVD scene..

what im curious about is this , if the army of dead so effective in the corsair's massacre, why dont aragorn retain them for a litle while and turn them loose at the black gate battle.. surely they can use all help they can get..

or will the Army of the Dead turned against them because of their worship of sauron ?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000003df53/01006/signature.png]Thissa[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by lbcadden3 View Post
    So even if Aragorn had tried "help me until this date/event" I don't think it would have worked.

Been reading alot of different stuff lately so may be mixing stories together.
    I'm thinking if Aragorn had attempted to get them to continue to help him even after they fulfilled they're duty, Aragorn would then become the oath-breaker and the dead would turn on him and his allies, killing them all. No more King Aragorn.
    [I]LOTRO has drink and smoke, this kill people. Eat corn is healthy. If you are Nobgobbler you can be most healthy too.[/I] - WNxNomos
    [I]You just made me punch my own face! That's how angry ganking makes me. I punch myself in my own face![/I] - hex2323