We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Currency of Middle Earth

I am curious how the currency of Middle Earth in Lotro compares to the currency (if anyhting is really known?) from the books. Is it a similar system? Are there different kinds of common currency?
    Last edited by magu; Jun 11 2009 at 06:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Re: Currency of Middle Earth

The only mention of actual currency I can remember is when Frodo payed butterbur a bunch of silver peices (like what we have) for Bill the pony and their lodgings. The one difference though, is our currency is about 1000 times more common. We are all the equivalents of kings as far as how rich we are compared to how rich characters in the book were.
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

Ohio, where we never have any adventures or do anything unexpected

This is the quote that refers to the price paid for Bill the Pony.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fellowship of the Ring, Ch. 11: A Knife in the Dark
    Bill Ferny's price was twelve silver pennies; and that was indeed at least three times the pony's value in those parts. It proved to be a bony, underfed, and dispirited animal; but it did not look like dying just yet. Mr. Butterbur paid for it himself, and offered Merry another eighteen pence as some compensation for the lost animals. He was an honest man, and well-off as things were reckoned in Bree; but thirty silver pennies was a sore blow to him, and being cheated by Bill Ferny made it harder to bear.
    So, Butterbur paid 12 silver for Bill, but that was "three times the pony's value". This means that the proper price for a pony in Bill's condition would have been 4 silver. Now, we pay 4 gold 220 silver (4,220 silver) for our mounts, which means that they are 105,500% worth more than Bill and we pay 35,166.67% more than Butterbur paid. Of course our mounts aren't "poor old half-starved creature[s] ... at death's door." But still, that's some inflation, that is.

I'd have to dig out the chapter in RoTK, but bilbo also gives Sam a small bag of gold "the last drop of the Smaug vintage" or thereabouts. No idea how much it was or what it was worth of course. Seems currency or money in general weren't much of a concern in ME.

Come to think of it, I do remember some other references of currency from The Hobbit... The Master of lake town (was that his title? I cant remember) was heavily involved in trade and loved money. And of course the lonely mountain was stuffed with it. I guess I was just thinking LotR
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

There was a time that you could purchase fictional Middle-earth coins created by Tom Maringer of The Shire Post, but Tolkien Enterprises put an end to it. Some of them seem to be still available from secondary sources such as The Tolkien Shop