We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

A grandiose housing idea

I have visited a few of the neighborhoods around and since everyone has been discussing changes I thought I would throw this out. Any ideas listed here would be a major update change so it would probably never happen but here it goes.

What if neighborhoods didn't have houses, but have lots, all lots are the same size and you can put various houses on it. Lets say a lot has 4 housing spots on it. A small house costs 1 spot, a deluxe house is 2 spots, an estate(new house design) is 3 spots and a kinship hall is 4 spots.

Basically you could buy a lot and if you wanted small houses for multiple characters you could put up maybe 4 smalls, or a couple deluxe houses but they are all tied to your account for that server (meaning regardless who buys the lot it belongs to your account so if you delete that character down the line nothing is lost. You could even drop an estate plus a "servant's quarters" (small house).

This gives you the flexability of buying a lot and starting with a small house but when you have the money you can upgrade to a larger house without having to move out of the neighborhood (or somewhere else in the same one if your lucky).

Now I would also prefer to have a SWG style customization in the house where stuff can be placed pretty much anywhere and maybe leave the hooks idea for outside objects.

I kinda like the idea of 4 small houses you can position their entrances like a little mini neighborhood and maybe be able to have little roads connect all the houses.

Just an idea and probably not possible without a major housing overhaul but I though it sounded kinda neat.

Re: A grandiose housing idea

Not a bad idea. I would like to see different kinds of houses, personally.
    ===================================================
    Dwarvish Loremaster, Hobbit Enthusiast.

1818ko

I'd be really pleased to see something of that nature. It would be cool to have another house type (size).

As the devs have said housing is not on the top of their list though. Still hope its pretty high up there, I wouldn't mind a book update dedicated to housing. We can only dream though.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0820700000002ff8e/01005/signature.png]Isumacardoc[/charsig]

Fight on for the Freedom of Middle-Earth.

I feel like we're never going to get much housing improvement done until the game gets popular enough to warrant it. Which is sad because I like feeling like it's more of a personal experience and having better housing would add to that.

But I do like this idea as well. It just probably isn't very feasible.

Horizons had a housing system based upon plots of land. It was an amazing system; save for the fact that houses didn’t do anything.

Their plots of land centered mainly around destroyed towns. Players bought the plots and could place as many buildings in the plot that would fit. The larger the plot the more structures you could place and the higher the price for the plot.

Players would use a tool to choose and place their structures, including things like stone pathways. These would show up as basic frameworks. Each structure would require a large number of various resources to build. Players could gather their own resources and build everything themselves. Or they could place money into a game tool for each structure. Any player could then come along and click on structures to see if players wanted help building them. The tool would show, for example, that Bill Bob would pay them 500 silver for each bolt of silk cloth a player added to the structure. Any player could then craft these bolts and add them to the structure even when Billy Bob wasn’t in game. The tool would automatically deduct the set amount from the money Bill Bob left on the structure and pay players for adding materials to the structure.

It was a great system. It provided lots of incentives for crafters to craft. Players could design the layouts of their plots. And player towns sprung up only where the game designers wanted them to. And there were statues and crafting stations and other destroyed items that players could repair, though not for cash payments, to improve their towns. It was simply an amazingly functional system. The only thing it lacked was functional housing. I left after a year, so they might have fixed housing after I left.
    Half of being clever is making certain you are not being stupid.

Calabar:65 Hunter – Ullrick:65 Hunter – Farli:65 Minstrel – Raedan:65 Champion – Garrian:65 Captain – Karzack:65 Rune-Keeper

The op's idea sounds great. It actually just amazes me with the amount of complaining, suggesting, begging, etc for upgrades to the housing situation that nothing happens. I would have HOPED that the powers that be would have noticed that while it is a "fluff" aspect to the game, a whole lot of us love it and are begging for improvements.

At least the item-stacking and crafting improvements in book 8 will alleviate SOME of our storage issues.
    [URL="http://www.council-of-eraidor.com"][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Linwe-Elfmaiden View Post
    It actually just amazes me with the amount of complaining, suggesting, begging, etc for upgrades to the housing situation that nothing happens. I would have HOPED that the powers that be would have noticed that while it is a "fluff" aspect to the game, a whole lot of us love it and are begging for improvements
    I'm also really surprised that a major improvement hasn't surfaced yet. Turbine has frequently said that housing is a expensive time consuming feature and isn't high on the to do list. I'm hoping though that they have something planned this year, I'm just not all the confident they have the time or manpower to do that
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000000a923f/01003/signature.png]Tennent[/charsig]

Thats true, as I said it would probably be awhile before anything would be implemented (if at all). However by the time they do get around to it there should be plenty of ideas on the forums to choose from.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/01203000000101c31/01003/signature.png]Toladan[/charsig]

That's really really good!

when you have 4 small houses, you could even have a little neighborhood with all your friendsies!

Good idea, I enjoyed Horizons' housing system...good crafting too. I think a combo of that and the AC housing model of being in-game as well would be a major improvement. Again...not holding my breath...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000000e8315/01008/signature.png]Ultum[/charsig]

You never know which forums devs will read so I will kind of repost an idea from another forum post as well as adding to this post.

I think that one consideration might be to arrange housing and other upgrade packages people want as a pre-order type thing where payments were made up front. If you could pre-order a housing expansion, pay something like $30, and then know that at a predetermined future date the expansion would come out I would happily pay now. That way Turbine can be secure in knowing that their expansion will make money before it even starts.

In response to the actual post I would love the idea of being able to pick from a variety of houses. I think that if you paid 1g or so for a lot and the payment went up based on the size and then you also paid a seperate amount for the type of housing you picked it would make neighborhoods look entirely different.

Another serious, and I would think VERY minor change that I would like to see is moving the entire housing instance to a new location closer to a city center. There is no reason that the entrance to the Shire, Breeland, Thorins, and Elven housing couldn't actually be contained right within a city hub. Since it is an instance the 'doorway' doesn't have to be so far away and easier access would make a lot of sense.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000009b035/01003/signature.png]Reonath[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Linwe-Elfmaiden View Post
    It actually just amazes me with the amount of complaining, suggesting, begging, etc for upgrades to the housing situation that nothing happens. I would have HOPED that the powers that be would have noticed that while it is a "fluff" aspect to the game, a whole lot of us love it and are begging for improvements.
    If you have followed the last several "ask the community" threads, you will understand why Turbine has done nothing with housing. Since I joined the game in early-2008, I have joined in the cries for a housing update. But try telling the community at large that housing should come before the following:

Legendary Item System
    Radiance-gating Issues
    Ettenmoors Expansion

All of those overhauls would take a significant investment of time and money on the part of Turbine. Alas, those issues are far and away more popular than a housing update. Now, if you can rally enough support in one of those threads to have the majority of responses relate to a housing update, we may get some attention.
    [b]Wizenwood[/b] [Loremaster 85], [b]Ainuril[/b] [Guardian 65]

[b]Landroval Server[/b]

Hometown: Dale. Current: Raingully, The Shire.

Quote Originally Posted by Ainuril View Post
    Legendary Item System
    Radiance-gating Issues
    Ettenmoors Expansion
    I've been following the community threads too and Housing usually comes in as the 3rd or 4th most complained about area a long way behind Legendary Items, with it being about even with an PvMP expansion and resolved issues over Radience.

I myself am truly mournful over the state of housing. I've posted in every community thread where applicable to improve housing. That said, my preferences for Turbine's time would look like this.
    1. A Legendary Item system that lets me keep my one weapon forever (the system can vary in any which way, but so long as I am never forced to destroy my weapon, I'll be happy)
    2. Housing with building upgrades, garden upgrades, display racks, players getting evicted for not paying rent and item placement without hooks.
    3. Legendary Items in any form other then preference 1.
    4. New Areas.

I would be ecstatic if they gave us a few more hooks. I cannot believe how pathetic the idea of putting items into a house is in this game.After coming from EQ 2 and Vanguard this has to be the most lousy system I have come across. I cannot imagine anyone coming up with such a system when there were such solid ideas in other games.

But the even sadder thing is that they do not have the resources to do anything else it seems. So we are stuck with it. I cry when I look at my chest and see the items I have to put in storage and rage at the state that housing is. Even more so at the countless abandoned neighbourhoods. Housing is never going to be looked at.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000001c8721/01008/signature.png]Ashiya[/charsig]

Vanguard did have a really good housing system. You bought your plot there, and then needed to acquire the materials to have your chosen house built (nice in theory, but even after all this time, I still cringe at the thought of all of those stone blocks and wood panels and Vanguard's overly-tedious crafting system). There were no hooks, just a number of allowed items per house. Drop an item about where you want it, then tweak the x,y,z,roll,pitch,& yaw. Want a chair leaning against the wall? Want a table with candles and place settings? Pretty much anything was fair game.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/06205000000130874/signature.png]Wulfmaer[/charsig]