We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The curse of reading too many tolkien

as someone in this forum suggest , i began to read Sil and re-read FOTR-TTT-ROTK..

alas, in reading those books, my mind is filled with more and more question instead of enlightment..

even more things that im curious about (and tolkien never explained)..

CELEBRIAN
    what really happen with Celebrian , elrond's wife , in her captivity ? tolkien mentioned that she was tormented and poisoned by goblins.. but he hint of more sinister fate. Did these goblin captor knew they hold elrond's wife so they torture her because of their hate of elrond ? did she escaped or rescued by her sons ? Elrond is know as master healer, why cant he heal his wife's poisonus wound ? and why she abandon her husband and son/daughter and flee to the west ?

MELKOR
    tolkien mentioned that melkor is imprisoned until the end of days and then released.. why he is released then ? what is the end of days ? the last battle between good and evil ?

VALINOR
    did the old world created as a FLAT earth ? and then gradually changed to a Sphere ? before numemor sunk the earth is flat ? Where is valinor now ? is it in spirit realm or physical realm ? how can elf use physical boat/ship to reach valinor , including frodo/sam/gimli who sailed with the last boat to valinor..

UNGOLIATH
    How / why the valar allow ungoliath to destroy the tree ? and how can such horrible beast exists in valinor ? why they allow melkor to roam around unsupervised in valinor?

MARRIAGE CUSTOM
    Did Elves lived by a strict marriage code ? i mean one male may take only one female as wife (and vice versa) ? how about separated elf, can they marry again ? for example elrond's wife running away and left him alone in middle earth , can he re-marry ? AFAIK elf can live practically forever.. so living alone is not fun imho.

MIXED MARRIAGE
    The elf + human marriage resulted in a special breed called men of numenor. but so far only elf+human is mentioned.. is there other racial marriage involving dwarf/human , dwarf/elf, hobbit/human, hobbit/elf ?

WAR OF WRATH
    Is the valar host who came to middle earth to capture melkor cannot be killed ? i mean it is written that they faced uncounted orcs yet the orcs was killed so easy (like straw into fire).. did they lose any soldier there ? what really cause the sinking of beleriand ? because of the battles or because of valar host's power?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000003df53/01006/signature.png]Thissa[/charsig]

Re: The curse of reading too many tolkien

War of Wrath, Im under the dual impression that the fall of Anclagon the black (biggest dragon ever) caused the destruction and submergence of Beleriand such was his impact, however if this was the case it seems unlikely that the host of the valar who were (assumed) on the ground at the time would have gotten wet. It would seem they defeated Morgoth, Eonwe had his show trial, the sons of Feanor had their last hurrah then after all these acts were finished the land sunk of its own accord as Tolkien was done with it.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001019a8/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    "Of course I am the only elf in the village"

I'll only speak to the ones I am for sure about. I'll leave the rest to more capable hands.

Quote Originally Posted by DPRIJADI1 View Post
    MELKOR
    tolkien mentioned that melkor is imprisoned until the end of days and then released.. why he is released then ? what is the end of days ? the last battle between good and evil ?
    He returns in the Dagor Dagorath:
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter #3 To Milton Waldman
    This Legendarium ends with a vision of the end of the world, its breaking and remaking, and the recovery of the Silmarilli and the 'light before the Sun' - after a final battle which owes, I suppose, more to the Norse vision of Ragnarök than to anything else, though it is not much like it.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by DPRIJADI1
    VALINOR
    did the old world created as a FLAT earth ? and then gradually changed to a Sphere ? before numemor sunk the earth is flat ? Where is valinor now ? is it in spirit realm or physical realm ? how can elf use physical boat/ship to reach valinor , including frodo/sam/gimli who sailed with the last boat to valinor..
    The world was flat, but a Ban was set on the Men of Númenor to never sail so far West that they would be out of sight of their own land.

Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter #3 to Milton Waldman
    ...But at last Sauron's plot comes to fulfilment. Tar-Calion feels old age and death approaching, and he listens to the last prompting of Sauron, and building the greatest of all armadas, he sets sail into the West, breaking the Ban, and going up with war to wrest from the gods 'everlasting life within the circles of the world'. faced by this rebellion, of appalling folly and blasphemy, and also real peril (since the Númenóreans directed by Sauron could have wrought ruin in Valinor itself) the Valar lay down their delegated power and appeal to God, and receive the power and permission to deal with the situation; the old world is broken and changed... Valinor and Eressëa are removed...Men may sail now West, if they will, as far as they may, and come no nearer to Valinor or the Blessed Realm, but return only into the east and so back again; for the world is round, and finite, and a circle inescapable - save by death... Only the 'immortals', the lingering Elves, may still if they will, wearying of the circle of the world, take ship and find the 'straight way', and come to the ancient or True West, and be at peace
    I can't find the quote, but Círdan has vowed to stay in Middle-earth until the last boat leaves.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UNGOLIATH
    How / why the valar allow ungoliath to destroy the tree ? and how can such horrible beast exists in valinor ? why they allow melkor to roam around unsupervised in valinor?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, The Silmarillion: The Darkening of Valinor
    ...and there in Avathar, secret and unknown, Ungoliant made her abode. the Eldar knew not whence she came; but some have said that in ages long before she descended from the darkness that lies about Arda, when Melkor first looked down in envy upon the Kingdom of Manwë, and that in the beginning she was one of those that he corrupted to his service. But she had disowned her Master, desiring to be the mistress of her own lust, taking all things to herself to feed her emptiness; and she fled to the south, escaping the assaults of the Valar and the hunters of Oromë, for their vigilance had ever been to the north, and the south was long unheeded. Thence she had crept towards teh light of the Blessed Realm; for she hungered for light and hated it....A cloak of darkness she wove about them when Melkor and Ungoliant set forth; an Unlight, in which things seemed to be no more, and which eyes could not pierce, for it was void..."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WAR OF WRATH
    Is the valar host who came to middle earth to capture melkor cannot be killed ? i mean it is written that they faced uncounted orcs yet the orcs was killed so easy (like straw into fire).. did they lose any soldier there ? what really cause the sinking of beleriand ? because of the battles or because of valar host's power?
    I'm sure they could be killed and some of the Vanyar perished:
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, The Silmarillion: Of the Voyage of Eärendil
    ...and out of the pits of Angband there issued the winged dragons, that had not before been seen; and so sudden and ruinous was the onset of that dreadful fleet that the host of the Valar was driven back, for the coming of the dragons was with great thunder, and lightning, and a tempest of fire.
    As for the breaking of Beleriand:
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, The Silmarillion: Of the Voyage of Eärendil
    ...For so great was the fury of those adversaries that the northern regions of the western world were rent asunder, and the sea roared in through many chasms, and there was confusion and great noise; and rivers perished or found new paths, and the valleys were upheaved and the hills trod down; and Sirion was no more.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/01203000000042f7c/01008/signature.png]Cyneward[/charsig]
    [size=1]Fey he seemed, or the battle-fury of his fathers ran like new fire in his veins,... even as Orome the Great in the battle of the Valar when the world was young. And then all the host of Rohan burst into song, and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them...[/size]

i dont know if valar / vanyar can be killed , i mean did they die in body then ressurected like gandalf ? or they die permanently
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000003df53/01006/signature.png]Thissa[/charsig]

The Vanyar are of the elf kindred. If they were slain, their spirits went to the Halls of Mandos like the others.

The Valar on the other hand, most likely cannot be slain. Morgoth exerted so much of his energy in works of malice that he could be defeated and imprisoned, but the same is probably not true of the Valar.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/01203000000042f7c/01008/signature.png]Cyneward[/charsig]
    [size=1]Fey he seemed, or the battle-fury of his fathers ran like new fire in his veins,... even as Orome the Great in the battle of the Valar when the world was young. And then all the host of Rohan burst into song, and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them...[/size]

6. Re: The curse of reading too many tolkien

CELEBRIAN
    what really happen with Celebrian , elrond's wife , in her captivity ? tolkien mentioned that she was tormented and poisoned by goblins.. but he hint of more sinister fate. Did these goblin captor knew they hold elrond's wife so they torture her because of their hate of elrond ? did she escaped or rescued by her sons ? Elrond is know as master healer, why cant he heal his wife's poisonus wound ? and why she abandon her husband and son/daughter and flee to the west ?
    There's a possibility she was r-a-p-e-d. I think the term Tolkien used was that the Orcs "ravaged her". The problem with this theory is that when an Elf is *****, they will themselves to die. It could be that she hung on out of love for her children and Elrond, or it could mean she wasn't ***** at all.

Elrond cured her wounds, but he couldn't heal the emotional trauma. The only place that could do that is in the West. She didn't abandon her family, she went to seek treatment. Many families in real life have to let someone go for their own good. Eventually, they would be reunited.

MELKOR
    Morgoth is released when he regains his strength, overpowers his guards, and kills the Sun-spirit. This leads to an all out war on the plains of Valinor and will end when Morgoth is killed by Turin Turambar, who is released from the Halls of Mandos.

VALINOR
    Yes, the world was flat; but God turned it into a sphere after the drowning of Numenor. Valinor is still part of Arda; but it's sort of in "another dimension". The Straight Road (as the path is called) still allows Elves to find it; and it's something you just have to accept without looking for a scientific explanation.

UNGOLIATH
    They didn't allow her. Everyone was at a celebration far away, and that allowed her to get to the Trees unmolested. She didn't technically live in Valinor, she lived way to the South of the land, past the mountains. It was careless of the Valar not to find her out, but nobody's perfect.

Melkor was allowed unsupervised because Manwe, the king of the Valar, genuinely thought that he was healed from his evil. Evil is such a foreign concept to Manwe, who has not an evil bone in his body, that he never really understood it.

M
    ARRIAGE CUSTOM
    Did Elves lived by a strict marriage code ? i mean one male may take only one female as wife (and vice versa) ? how about separated elf, can they marry again ? for example elrond's wife running away and left him alone in middle earth , can he re-marry ? AFAIK elf can live practically forever.. so living alone is not fun imho.
    Yes, Elvish marriage was modeled after Tolkien's Catholic upbringing. That means one male to one female. Elves don't divorce. Probably because the need would never come up (Elves were pseudo-perfect). The only exception to Elvish second marriages was in the case if Finwe, whose wife died and could never return. Elrond couldn't remarry because Celebrian is still waiting in Valinor, alive.

MIXED MARRIAGE
    The elf + human marriage resulted in a special breed called men of numenor. but so far only elf+human is mentioned.. is there other racial marriage involving dwarf/human , dwarf/elf, hobbit/human, hobbit/elf ?
    The bloodline of Numenor was a collection of all the races of Men that fought on the side of good during the War of Wrath.

Theoretically, all races could intermarry; but it would take a special divine intercession to allow an immortal being (and Elf) to marry a mortal (anyone else).

WAR OF WRATH
    [/quote]

The army of the Valar were composed of Elves. It may be that some Maia spirits were their captains, considering that the general of the entire force was a Maia (called Eonwe). Elves can be killed and some probably were (the arrival of Ancalagon the Black was said to have turned the tide of battle to Morgoth's favor). But it would take something very special to kill a Vala or Maia, and even then they aren't truly dead. Only their body would be.

The sinking of Beleriand was caused by the utter destructive power of two divine forces fighting each other for years on end. It was only truly lost after the drowning of Numenor and the resulting tidal wave.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000009263b/01003/signature.png]Arasilion[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Arasilion View Post
    There's a possibility she was r-a-p-e-d. I think the term Tolkien used was that the Orcs "ravaged her". The problem with this theory is that when an Elf is *****, they will themselves to die. It could be that she hung on out of love for her children and Elrond, or it could mean she wasn't ***** at all.Morgoth is released when he regains his strength, overpowers his guards, and kills the Sun-spirit. This leads to an all out war on the plains of Valinor and will end when Morgoth is killed by Turin Turambar, who is released from the Halls of Mandos.
    thanks arasilion, thats cleared a lot of things that puzzled me..

as for celebrian, i agree with you , the goblin may found her unattractive or even ugly (different race view beauty in different way).. but they can still torture her / molest here / ravage her.. maybe its so severe that she flee middle earth after that and not even elrond can heal her pain.

as for turin killing morgoth in the last days, that news to me.. where you read that ?

gotta toss in my .02

as someone in this forum suggest , i began to read Sil and re-read FOTR-TTT-ROTK..

alas, in reading those books, my mind is filled with more and more question instead of enlightment..

Hehe, that can happen

CELEBRIAN
    I dont remember reading about that anywhere, but my guess is her wounds were along the lines of Frodo's wound recieved from the morgul knife on Weathertop. The affects were healed physically, but could still be felt on a spiritual level. The only way to escape that would be to journey to Valinore.

MELKOR
    He wasn't exactly imprisoned... I guess you could say he was sent to hell, in a way. He was trapped beyond the realm of the world.

UNGOLIATH
    They didnt allow any of it. Melkor and Ungoliant came upon Valinore during a day of celebration, when everyone was gathered a good distance from the trees. There was little to no warning of their approach. As to existing in Valinore, she didn't. Melkor found her outside of Valinore and offered her bribes if she would help him attack the Valar.

MARRIAGE CUSTOM
    It's my assumption that they can only marry one person at a time, mainly because thats what they did. I'm not sure whether they could remarry or not, though.

MIXED MARRIAGE
    The Men of Numenor were not from an Elf/Man marriage. They were sort of the highest and greatest bloodline of Men. As to other marriage types, to my knowledge there is nothing written concerning that type of thing. Elf+Man was the only mix that we know of. On a side note, those combinations resulted in whats called a Halfelven, like Elrond and Elros were. Those people were allowed to choose which race they belonged too. Elrond chose Elf, his brother Elros chose Man.

WAR OF WRATH
    If I remember right, the host of the valar was made up of all the people of Valinore, including Valar (who cant die) Maiar (who also cant die) and Elves (who could die). So while the wrath of their approach might have made them unstoppable, I would imagine some elves were killed there.

I dont remember why Beleriand sank though...
    Last edited by sir-rinthian; Jun 09 2009 at 10:48 PM.
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by sir-rinthian View Post
    If I remember right, the host of the valar was made up of all the people of Valinore, including Valar (who cant die) Maiar (who also cant die) and Elves (who could die). So while the wrath of their approach might have made them unstoppable, I would imagine some elves were killed there.
    this intrigued me to no end.. it is said that the host of valar 'zerg' angband and everything in enemy's defence is swept away like 'straw in fire'.. even the balrogs..

how come a host of flying dragon hold back the host of valar (which i assume including tulkas the supermen of valar)..

afaik dragon's strength is in their fire.. and even lowlie bowman from dale shot smaug down.. imagine how awesome valar's bowmens ...

My answer is to suggest that you read even more. Pick up the Book of Lost Tales, or some of the other works. There are answers to some of your questions in them, plus other great stories.

this intrigued me to no end.. it is said that the host of valar 'zerg' angband and everything in enemy's defence is swept away like 'straw in fire'.. even the balrogs..

how come a host of flying dragon hold back the host of valar (which i assume including tulkas the supermen of valar)..
    Well, think of it this way. You are immortal, but you can feel pain. Also, all your soldiers are able to die if melted by that fire. Would you just charge headlong into the source of the fire? Probably not.

afaik dragon's strength is in their fire.. and even lowlie bowman from dale shot smaug down.. imagine how awesome valar's bowmens ...
    Bard was NOT a lowly bowman. He was the descendant of the ancient king of Dale. Also, that was pure luck by bilbo in the finding of that small bare spot, and pure skill by Bard in being able to hit it at night. He also had some special black arrow that was likely forged by the dwarves that lived in the Lonely Mt before Smaug came.

Quote Originally Posted by csteelatgburg View Post
    plus other great stories.
    Meaning more questions
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by sir-rinthian View Post

Meaning more questions
    Eh. I'm also a Lost fan, so I tend to thrive on questions.

The Hungarians had a brilliant cavalry, but the Germans had tanks.

The Winged Dragons had not yet before been seen and the horror took the Valinorean host by surprise. The issuance of such monstrosities caused them to waver.

Post Re: The curse of reading too many tolkien

WAR OF WRATH
    The main reason that Melkor was allowed to exist in Middle Earth for so long is that there was no way for the Valar to remove him without inflicting enormous damage on the planet itself. Both sides are led by immortal gods with the power to reshape the world - and neither side really has the ability to destroy the other permanently.

The result would be an enormously destructive battle to somehow subdue the opposing side. Thus the Valar stayed out for as long as they could. Only when Melkor's final victory over the elves seemed at hand did they finally relent and come to subdue Melkor - and the result was indeed the annihilation of Beleriand.

I'm certain that a great many Elves died in that battle, and probably a number of Maiar and other lesser angelic beings were 'disembodied' during the course of it as well - but unlike Gandalf and the other Wizards, those Maiar were most likely NOT embodied in mortal forms that could die, per-se. They would have been wielding their full powers in such a battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Vastin View Post
    I'm certain that a great many Elves died in that battle, and probably a number of Maiar and other lesser angelic beings were 'disembodied' during the course of it as well - but unlike Gandalf and the other Wizards, those Maiar were most likely NOT embodied in mortal forms that could die, per-se. They would have been wielding their full powers in such a battle.
    So when do we get a session play of that?! That would be an incredible thing to witness.
    Arda Shrugged:Elendilstone

Quote Originally Posted by gildhur View Post
    So when do we get a session play of that?! That would be an incredible thing to witness.
    Indeed.

You wound the Balrog Squadron with Rend The Heavens for 3,852,293 points of Light damage.
    You wound the Seventeenth Ongburz Armored Division with Inundate Continent for 4,925,398 points of Flood damage.
    The Seventeenth Ongburz Armored Division has been defeated.
    Lindoryn 100r11 mns, Lindorien 85r7 lrm, Lindbergh 75r7 brg, Drakur 56r1 grd
    Cuspid, r6 warg

Quote Originally Posted by andulinde View Post
    Indeed.

You wound the Balrog Squadron with Rend The Heavens for 3,852,293 points of Light damage.
    You wound the Seventeenth Ongburz Armored Division with Inundate Continent for 4,925,398 points of Flood damage.
    The Seventeenth Ongburz Armored Division has been defeated.
    What's the cooldown on Inundate Continent?
    Arda Shrugged:Elendilstone

18. Re: The curse of reading too many tolkien

Because the host of the Valar weren't composed of Valar. They were Elves, with at least one Maia.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000009263b/01003/signature.png]Arasilion[/charsig]

Second star to the right and straight until morning... til you reach Neverland...

Infinity and beyond!!!
    !<3?!Wargs Rule!!?<3! But only because we have no playable feline races.
    ???s6u!?? 3?!?o?@? ?w ?o m3? @ 3?@ 3s3??
    *s6u!s* ¡?w ?o ?s3!6?@M pu@ 's3ss3??s!w-3?ol 's3s?l3?

Founder & Altoholic: playing wargies and loremistresses since 2006 SoA beta.*Jingle Jangle!*
    A "lifetime" of play on: Elendilmir (RIP), Crick, Landy, & more.

Here you go.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000001687/01005/signature.png]Wisdom[/charsig]

Talking Re: The curse of reading too many tolkien

Be in Detroit Friday, and if they win, you will.

Be in Detroit Friday, and if they lose, you will anyway.
    Founder, Leader - www.SonsOfNumenor.com

Three Ages.

Haha, I first read this as Incontinent Ungulate, which is a distantly related but very different skill. (I hope.)
    [CENTER][I][FONT=Garamond]* * *
    [/FONT][/I][FONT=Palatino Linotype]"From without the World, though all things may be forethought in music or foreshown in vision from afar, to those who enter verily into Eä each in its time shall be met at unawares as something new and unforetold."[/FONT]
    [/CENTER]

What do unrestrainable hoofed mammals have in common with flooding continents?
    Last edited by wikjif; Jun 10 2009 at 10:27 PM.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#00cc00][B]Founding Member: Sapience Fan Club and Adoration Society[/B][/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by wikjif View Post
    What do unrestrainable hoofed mammals have in common with flooding continents?

Middle English, from Anglo-French or Latin; Anglo-French, from Latin incontinent-, incontinens, from in- + continent-, continens continent: not continent: as a (1): lacking self-restraint (2): not being under control

Applied via once-common colloquialism to a particular portion of said hoofed creature, it could describe a very different sort of "flood".
    [LEFT][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0220400000008a441/signature.png]Kiernian[/charsig][/LEFT]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast