We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Time frame for LOTRO?

What is the time frame that LOTRO is set in?
    Takiwa/Yuyuki
    Blah

Ohio, where we never have any adventures or do anything unexpected

Re: Time frame for LOTRO?

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark421 View Post
    What is the time frame that LOTRO is set in?
    Takiwa/Yuyuki
    That really depends upon what area of the game you're in. Each area is perpetually locked in a certain time. For example, Bree is always in the Autumn of 3018 of the Third Age.

Using the Chronicle of Arda, I can give you a more specific timeframe:
    29 September Frodo and his companions arrive at the Prancing Pony in Bree, and meet Strider.
    In Bree, some of the first Epic Book quests are given by Strider at the Prancing Pony. Thus, we can assume that the time is just before 29 September, 3018.

Since Lothlórien is the furthest the game world has been extended thus far, February 3019 is about as far into the timeline of LOTR as we've gotten.
    17 January The Fellowship arrives at Caras Galadhon, and meets with Galadriel and Celeborn.
    15 February Gandalf returns to life on the peak of Zirakzigil.
    15 February In Lórien, Frodo and Sam experience visions in the Mirror of Galadriel.
    16 February The Company of the Ring depart from Lórien. Gollum begins to follow them once again.
    Since you can meet the fellowship in Lothlórien and Gandalf is nowhere to be found on Zirakzigil, I'd say it is safe to assume we are somewhere around February 15, 3019 as we travel throughout Moria and Lothlórien. At the very least, it is sometime in late January or early February.
    [COLOR=yellowgreen][B]"Pure creation is like a vacation."[/B][/COLOR]
    [INDENT]- Welby of Landroval[/INDENT]

That response, and post as a whole rocked! Thanks for the response, it was exactly what I needed to spruce up my character Biography.
    Thanks Reddhawk, What a wonderfully helpful Elf.
    Yuyuki
    Blah

Exactly, so as you progress through the story, you are slightly mirroring the movements of the fellowship (although we get around a LOT faster than they did ), and often finding places that they've just been and seeing signs of their recent passage.

It is a bit existential, since you can meet Frodo in Lorien and then zip back to Rivendell and see him there, too.
    [img]http://s24.postimg.org/q0qzzx2j9/sig_lotro.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Reillan View Post
    It is a bit existential, since you can meet Frodo in Lorien and then zip back to Rivendell and see him there, too.
    I only remember seeing Frodo (and most of the other characters) in an instanced area (like a room or during a specific quest). Generally, once you've completed a book quest which involves the main characters, you can't get into those rooms anymore. I guess I'm not sure what affect not doing the book quests would have on that, though.

Quote Originally Posted by csteelatgburg View Post
    I only remember seeing Frodo (and most of the other characters) in an instanced area (like a room or during a specific quest). Generally, once you've completed a book quest which involves the main characters, you can't get into those rooms anymore. I guess I'm not sure what affect not doing the book quests would have on that, though.
    There was a time when you could visit Rivendell and find members of the Fellowship scattered throughout the valley. There came a point in time, however, where they had to move the Nine Walkers into instances to fit with the updated content. We now see them out and about in Lothlorien. I presume they'll eventually need to be instanced there, too.
    Faërie is a perilous land, and in it are pitfalls for the unwary and dungeons for the overbold. – J.R.R. Tolkien, ‘On Fairy-Stories’.