We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Ohio, where we never have any adventures or do anything unexpected

Re: Where the Watcher came from ?:

Quote Originally Posted by Isamrot View Post
    Which way did the dwarves enter Moria? If they entered across the bridge, the watcher may have thought that they were traveling through.
    They would have entered through the East Gate (across the bridge), because they set out from the Lonely Mountain far to the east. Furthermore, Balin's expedition seems to have kept near to the eastern portion of Moria, because it is said that he was killed by orcs in Nanduhirion. So, it would seem that as they entered Moria, they stirred things up and eventually the Balrog showed up blocking their exit back through the East Gate. This left them with only the West Gate to leave through, but the Watcher seems to have moved in to block that. At this point, the dwarves had no choice but to barricade themselves in and fend off any attacks, which is why they wound up making their last stand in the Chamber of Mazarbul.
    [COLOR=yellowgreen][B]"Pure creation is like a vacation."[/B][/COLOR]
    [INDENT]- Welby of Landroval[/INDENT]

I don't think that there's any point in considering the strength of the Watcher relative to a Balrog by what your characters do in LOTRO.

One thing to consider...Gandalf fought the Balrog which was equal in strength to him, but he did not fight the Watcher. It is a creature of great power, even if your character can kill it in a video game.

There's a few reasons I can think of why Gandalf didn't slay the Watcher:
    1) Gandalf did not believe he could destroy it.
    2) There would be a good chance that someone in the fellowship would die during the fight. Gandalf would have to leave the fellowship to prevent that, and he knew he may be needed inside Moria for the Balrog.
    3) The Watcher's continued existence would not undermine the fellowship's quest. They were not coming back this way, so why bother.

is it possible that the BALROG is the reason this creature flee the deeps and came outside ?

i mean the balrog must have made enemies with those underground creatures as he's surely wont subject to any dominion and he will try to dominate other creatures.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000003df53/01006/signature.png]Thissa[/charsig]

I dont think the balrog would have scared the Watcher. Annoyed it maybe, but not scared it... I mean, a giant monster with tentacles strong enough to pick people up sounds like quite a threat to a balrog, especially as it lives in the water (I would assume getting strangled under water would be unhealthy for a creature of fire and shadow)
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Reddhawk View Post
    Good catch!

Though, I suppose you could argue that Gandalf doesn't know for certain what has happened on the other side of the gate; he's guessing from the sounds.That last portion that I've highlighted would also seem to suggest that the Watcher was not merely some random beast, but was instead a force for evil, whether a creature of Morgoth or a servant of Sauron. Somehow the Watcher must have known of Frodo's quest. At the very least, Gandalf seems to have found its actions suspect.
    Or just that the watcher is 'drawn' to the power of the ring, as all other things are drawn to it.
    * When you play the game you came to play rather then the one left behind you will find true happiness! - Theftwind * "He harasses my him is every day as soon as sprinkles the excrement" * grap on my tired? - Sheol_Ghazi

Ohio, where we never have any adventures or do anything unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by Merciful_Death View Post
    Or just that the watcher is 'drawn' to the power of the ring, as all other things are drawn to it.
    That's probably more likely, as I now think the Watcher was just a particularly noteworthy example of the nameless. He could have been under the command of other forces, though I rather doubt it.
    [COLOR=yellowgreen][B]"Pure creation is like a vacation."[/B][/COLOR]
    [INDENT]- Welby of Landroval[/INDENT]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2