We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

"For I also am a steward. Did you not know?"

Interesting line from Gandy (Gandalf) in RotK. Going to assume he speaks of his and the other Istari's standing in for the Valar but if anyone has other theories please voice them. I thought it rather odd both that Gandalf revealed this to Denethor and that Denethor did not bite and try to further malign Gandalf's "ambitions." Was Gandalf trying to pull rank on Denethor? I'm really not sure what purpose mentioning that served, I can only think that it was a clever allusion by master Tolkien for the benefit of the reader. Any other takes?
    ~Officer of the Black Knight Brotherhood (BKB) on Elendilmir~
    ~Herudraug, Hound of Barahish. Rank 4 Warg on Elendilmir~
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000001cd8/signature.png]Darron[/charsig]
    Not all those who wander are lost. Just me. Now where did that refrigerator get to?

Re: "For I also am a steward. Did you not know?"

–noun
    1. a person who manages another's property or financial affairs; one who administers anything as the agent of another or others.
    2. a person who has charge of the household of another, buying or obtaining food, directing the servants, etc.
    3. an employee who has charge of the table, wine, servants, etc., in a club, restaurant, or the like.
    4. a person who attends to the domestic concerns of persons on board a vessel, as in overseeing maids and waiters.
    5. an employee on a ship, train, or bus who waits on and is responsible for the comfort of passengers, takes orders for or distributes food, etc.
    6. a flight attendant.
    7. a person appointed by an organization or group to supervise the affairs of that group at certain functions.
    8. U.S. Navy. a petty officer in charge of officer's quarters and mess.
    –verb (used with object)
    9. to act as steward of; manage.
    –verb (used without object)
    10. to act or serve as steward.
    Origin:
    bef. 900; ME; OE stīweard, stigweard, equiv. to stig- (sense uncert.; prob. “house, hall”; see sty 1 ) + weard ward2

Related forms:
    stew⋅ard⋅ship, noun
    Dictionary.com Unabridged
    Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2009.
    Cite This Source
    |
    Link To steward
    Explore the Visual Thesaurus »
    Related Words for : steward
    flight attendant, shop steward, custodian, keeper
    View more related words »

stew·ard (stōō'ərd, styōō'-)
    n.

1. One who manages another's property, finances, or other affairs.
    2. One who is in charge of the household affairs of a large estate, club, hotel, or resort.
    3. A ship's officer who is in charge of provisions and dining arrangements.
    4. An attendant on a ship or airplane.
    5. An official who supervises or helps to manage an event.
    6. A shop steward.
    7. A wine steward.

intr. & tr.v. stew·ard·ed, stew·ard·ing, stew·ards
    To serve as a steward or as the steward of.

[Middle English, from Old English stigweard, stīward : stig, stī, hall + weard, keeper; see wer-3 in Indo-European roots.]
    stew'ard·ship' n.
    The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
    Copyright © 2009 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
    Cite This Source

Steward
    Stew"ard\, n. [OE. stiward, AS. st[=i]weard, stigweard, literally, a sty ward; stigu sty + weard warden, guardian, -- his first duty having been probably to attend to the domestic animals. [root]164. See Sty pen for swine, Ward.]

1. A man employed in a large family, or on a large estate, to manage the domestic concerns, supervise other servants, collect the rents or income, keep accounts, and the like.

Worthy to be stewards of rent and land. --Chaucer.

They came near to the steward of Joseph's house. --Gen. xliii. 19.

As good stewards of the manifold grace of God. --1 Pet. iv. 10.

2. A person employed in a hotel, or a club, or on board a ship, to provide for the table, superintend the culinary affairs, etc. In naval vessels, the captain's steward, wardroom steward, steerage steward, warrant officers steward, etc., are petty officers who provide for the messes under their charge.

3. A fiscal agent of certain bodies; as, a steward in a Methodist church.

4. In some colleges, an officer who provides food for the students and superintends the kitchen; also, an officer who attends to the accounts of the students.

5. In Scotland, a magistrate appointed by the crown to exercise jurisdiction over royal lands. --Erskine.

Lord high steward, formerly, the first officer of the crown; afterward, an officer occasionally appointed, as for a coronation, or upon the trial of a peer. [Eng.]

Steward
    Stew"ard\, v. t. To manage as a steward. [Obs.]
    Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.
    Cite This Source
    Language Translation for : steward
    Italian: steward,
    German: der, *die Steward, *eß,
    Japanese: スチュワード
    More Translations »

Sorry for the spam of words but this is Steward on dictionary.com
    Was not really 100% sure what you were asking but a steward can be more than that
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d216000000079d94/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

3. Re: "For I also am a steward. Did you not know?"

Quote Originally Posted by Neoglaurung View Post
    Interesting line from Gandy (Gandalf) in RotK. Going to assume he speaks of his and the other Istari's standing in for the Valar but if anyone has other theories please voice them. I thought it rather odd both that Gandalf revealed this to Denethor and that Denethor did not bite and try to further malign Gandalf's "ambitions." Was Gandalf trying to pull rank on Denethor? I'm really not sure what purpose mentioning that served, I can only think that it was a clever allusion by master Tolkien for the benefit of the reader. Any other takes?
    Gandalf was a steward in the sense that he was tasked to look after the Free People's resistance to Sauron. He was also a steward of a Ring of Power.

Here's the quote in context:

"If you understand it, then be content," returned Denthor. "Pride would be folly that disdained help and counsel at need; but you deal out such gifts according to your own designs. Yet the Lord of Gondor is not to be made the tool of other men's purposes, however worthy. And to him there is no purpose higher in the world as it now stands than the good of Gondor; and the rule of Gondor, my lord, is mine is no other man's, unless the king should come again."

"Unless the king should come again?" said Gandalf. "Well, my lord Steward, it is your task to keep some kingdom still against that event, which few now look to see. In that task you shall have all the aid that you are pleased to asked for. Bt I will say this: the rule of no realm is mine, neither of Gondor, nor any other, great or small. But all worthy things that are in peril as the world now stands, those are my care. And for my part, I shall not wholly fail of my task, though Gondor should perish, if anything passes through this night that can still grow fair or bear fruit and flower again in days to come. For I also am a steward. Did you not know?" And with that he turned and strode from the hall with Pippin running at his side.
    You can tell that Denethor is being snide with Gandalf and lording his office over him; but Gandalf rejoins his comments by reminding Denethor that he also is a Steward, but an even greater one. Denethor's stewardship is only over Gondor, but Gandalf's is over every good and fair thing in Middle-Earth.

Ohio, where we never have any adventures or do anything unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by Arasilion View Post
    You can tell that Denethor is being snide with Gandalf and lording his office over him; but Gandalf rejoins his comments by reminding Denethor that he also is a Steward, but an even greater one. Denethor's stewardship is only over Gondor, but Gandalf's is over every good and fair thing in Middle-Earth.
    Exactly. In that moment, Denethor was being narrow minded and selfish, showing concern only for the kingdom of Gondor. Gandalf was simply trying to remind him that there were bigger concerns at hand--that the whole world, and not just Gondor, was in peril.

that hes referring to the ring makes the most sense to me. it wasnt his ring originally

Thanks for the clarifications. Something about the way he said it made me think he could be alluding to something else but I see that he's more or less summarizing what he described: "...all worthy things that are in peril as the world now stands, those are my care."
    ~Officer of the Black Knight Brotherhood (BKB) on Elendilmir~
    ~Herudraug, Hound of Barahish. Rank 4 Warg on Elendilmir~
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000001cd8/signature.png]Darron[/charsig]
    Not all those who wander are lost. Just me. Now where did that refrigerator get to?

7. Re: "For I also am a steward. Did you not know?"

Quote Originally Posted by newwwwb View Post
    that hes referring to the ring makes the most sense to me. it wasnt his ring originally
    Yes, but I think I made a mistake before because it was given to him, not lent. Full ownership passed from Cirdan to Gandalf. You could perhaps use a less literal definition for "stewardship", but it's probably best not too.