We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Is Enedwaith another name for Eregion?

Hello,

Wondering if a Tolkien guru could help with something I'm confused about.

On the current in game map, there is an area called Enedwaith, between Eriador and the Misty Mountains:

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Image:Middle_Earth.jpg

At first I thought that this must be Eregion, as that is the only land mass we pass through to get from the Trollshaws to the Misty Mountains. However, the lotr wiki I checked seems to imply that Eregion is part of Eriador (see navigation of Categories > Realms > Eriador).

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Eregion

Can anyone please clarrify this for me? Thank you!

Re: Is Enedwaith another name for Eregion?

Enedwaith is the region just to the south of Eregion. It's northern border is the river Gladuin, which is also the southern border of Eregion (and I believe is that river to the south of Mirobel). The Greenway runs south through it, crossing the Gwathlo at the ruined city of Thardbad.
    [COLOR=#800000]Various Hobbits, Thwilda the dwarf lass, and Gnersk, Stalker[/COLOR]

Ohio, where we never have any adventures or do anything unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by Siegfriedpf View Post
    Enedwaith is the region just to the south of Eregion. It's northern border is the river Gladuin, which is also the southern border of Eregion (and I believe is that river to the south of Mirobel). The Greenway runs south through it, crossing the Gwathlo at the ruined city of Thardbad.
    That's correct. Enedwaith is the region to the south of Eregion, but it is bounded to the North by the rivers Gwathló (Greyflood) and Glanduin. Towards Eregion, the Gwathló is formed by the convergence of two rivers, with the Glanduin being the southern river, and the Sirannon being the northern. The dry riverbed in Eregion is the remains of the Sirannon (or Gate Stream), while the river south of Mirobel is the Glanduin.

Here, to help illustrate all of this, I've added some detail to that map you're looking at. You'll notice I've marked the locations of Rivendell, Durin's Door, and Mirobel (actually known as Ost-in-Edhil in the lore) and I've labeled each of the important rivers. Since the original map is somewhat lacking in detail, I've had to add in the Glanduin and Sirannon. The Glanduin is indicated by the blue line extending from the Gwathló, while the Sirannon is indicated by the red line.

The region of Eregion is highlighted in yellow, while the region of Enedwaith is highlighted in light blue.

[COLOR=yellowgreen][B]"Pure creation is like a vacation."[/B][/COLOR]
    [INDENT]- Welby of Landroval[/INDENT]

Thank you both very much for that information.

Reddhawk, that map was very helpful, thank you for taking the time to post it.