We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

question about the hobbit chapter 10: riddles in the dark

Hello my fellow lore masters. I like tolkiens books about as much as all of you. and as i have recently heard that tolkien edited out chapter 10(?) or the riddles in the dark chapter of the hobbit book. my question is, is there a way to see the origonal non changed chapter? or what did he change in that chapter?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000001f6371/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

2. Re: question about the hobbit chapter 10: riddles in the dark

Don't know, to be honest. Never even heard that he did before! My first guess would be checking out "The Annotated Hobbit". It could help, it might be a waste of time....but I tried :-)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000009263b/01003/signature.png]Arasilion[/charsig]

Ohio, where we never have any adventures or do anything unexpected

Re: question about the hobbit chapter 10: riddles in the dark

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeham49 View Post
    Hello my fellow lore masters. I like tolkiens books about as much as all of you. and as i have recently heard that tolkien edited out chapter 10(?) or the riddles in the dark chapter of the hobbit book. my question is, is there a way to see the origonal non changed chapter? or what did he change in that chapter?
    If I remember correctly, in the original editions of The Hobbit, Gollum willingly bet his ring on the outcome of the riddle game. When Tolkien later created The Lord of the Rings, he realized that this behavior would be inconsistent with someone so ensnared by the Ring's power. Of course, when he first wrote the book, Gollum's ring was merely a ring of power and Tolkien hadn't yet conceived of it as the One Ring. This original version of events still remains, however Tolkien conveniently explained it away as Bilbo's lie concerning how he came to possess the Ring. This 'lie' now represents the first sign of Bilbo becoming ensnared by the Ring's power.
    [COLOR=yellowgreen][B]"Pure creation is like a vacation."[/B][/COLOR]
    [INDENT]- Welby of Landroval[/INDENT]

Originally Bilbo still found the ring in the dark, Gollum still thought he had it and bet it on the riddle game. When he couldn't find his ring Bilbo allowed him to show him the way out instead.

The book "A Tolkien Compass" by Jared Lobdell contains a number of studies and essays by other writers on Tolkien's work. One of them discusses the changes in the Hobbit and in particular how it changed Gollum's character. It's in Chapter 2 - "Gollum's Character Transformation in The Hobbit" by Bonniejean Christensen. It includes copies of the relevant parts before and after the editing took place in the second edition.
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS]"You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81

[/FONT]

The above answers are pretty complete to the content of the OP's question. It was ch 5 though, not 10 and the second edition of The Hobbit came out in 1951 with the changes. Thanks Tuor for the good book references too!

By the way, if you ever come across a first edition copy of "The Hobbit" at a garage sale or similar, grab it, I've seen reports of sales in the area of $9000 for a damaged copy to $65,000 for a 1st edition 1st impression in excellent condition.

Actually forget I said that, grab the copy for me and I'll pay for the shipping and handling, lol
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS]"You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81

[/FONT]

yes I noticed its no chapter 10 my bad. and thanks for the answers. and to the last poster: ill send it if I find it but I want half.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000001f6371/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I recently purchased a book called "The History of the Hobbit Part One: Mr. Baggins." The author is John D. Rateliff. In this book and Part Two, the complete text of the original manuscript of "The Hobbit" is presented accompanied by Mr. Rateliff's commentary. I have not read it yet but for those want to read the original story, it seems to provide an opportunity for you to do so.
    Arion: Landroval/Elentiri