We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Why You Picked An elf

I've liked elves even before I knew about LOTR, so yeah. I like the pointy ears, haha. Their normally portrayed as graceful and I like that as well. May as well look good while you're killing orcs.

Because I've never been able to put together a decent looking light armour cosmetic outfit for a Dwarf.
    "I am gloating so, so very much right now. Everyone called me a fool to do every deed! People pointed and laughed! And now, I have a horse with a smock! HAHAHAHAHA" - Anamatronix

Quote Originally Posted by Enzdid View Post
    Because I've never been able to put together a decent looking light armour cosmetic outfit for a Dwarf.

QFT. That's the only reason my RK is an Elf, really. I just couldn't make the Dwarf work in light armor.
    [CENTER][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=DarkOrchid][SIZE=4][B][COLOR=Magenta][COLOR=DarkOrange]♥[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=DarkOrchid][SIZE=4][B][COLOR=Magenta] Dyjia Shajahai [COLOR=DarkOrange]♥[/COLOR] [COLOR=RoyalBlue]Captain [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=DarkOrchid][SIZE=4][B][COLOR=Magenta][COLOR=DarkOrange]♥[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Georgia][B][SIZE=4][COLOR=#ff3380]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/FONT][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=DarkOrchid][SIZE=3][COLOR=YellowGreen][B][COLOR=DarkOrange]▬[/COLOR] Landroval Server[/B][B] [COLOR=DarkOrange]▬[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Georgia][B][SIZE=4][COLOR=#ff3380]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][SIZE=4][COLOR=#ff3380][COLOR=Yellow]☼[/COLOR] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=4][COLOR=#ff3380][SIZE=3][URL="http://my.lotro.com/tinrae"][SIZE=2]Visit me on MyLotro.[/SIZE][/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Georgia][B][SIZE=4][COLOR=#ff3380] [COLOR=Yellow]☼[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/FONT][COLOR=DarkOrchid]
    [/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=MediumTurquoise]Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway! [/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkOrchid]
    [/COLOR] [/CENTER]

lol because i thought the elf hunter at the character creation screen looked BA with the antler bow.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080100000824d2/signature.png]Murdir[/charsig]

I don't get how reading the Silmarillion would want to cause someone to play or like Elves more. Sure, if all you know about is Peter Jackson's overly-glorified movie Elves, or even the standard LOTR Books I could see it.

But the Silmarillion shows that the Elves were treacherous, selfish, kinslaying, murderers who were the ancestors of Orcs.

Sorry for those who haven't read it and thought the Elves were always good guys, pure etc.

I think some Elves in Middle-earth are pretty awesome, but the Silmarillion was a huge eye-opener for me when it revealed their dark, brutal and murderous past.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000002ceda/01008/signature.png]Jestef[/charsig][color=yellow][b][i]"Since they were to come in the days of the power of Melkor, Aulë made the dwarves strong to endure. Therefor they are stone-hard, stubborn, fast in friendship and in enmity, and they suffer toil and hunger and hurt of body more hardily than all other speaking peoples"[/i][/b][/color] - [color=red][b]The Silmarillion[/b][/color]

Quote Originally Posted by LoupGarou216 View Post
    I don't get how reading the Silmarillion would want to cause someone to play or like Elves more. Sure, if all you know about is Peter Jackson's overly-glorified movie Elves, or even the standard LOTR Books I could see it.

But the Silmarillion shows that the Elves were treacherous, selfish, kinslaying, murderers who were the ancestors of Orcs.

Sorry for those who haven't read it and thought the Elves were always good guys, pure etc.

I think some Elves in Middle-earth are pretty awesome, but the Silmarillion was a huge eye-opener for me when it revealed their dark, brutal and murderous past.
    The "evil" Elves in the Silmarillion are the exception, rather than the rule. EVERY good race in LotR has its downsides, without exception.

I don't get how reading the Silmarillion would want to cause someone to play or like Valar, Maiar, Men, or Dwarves more.

Valar: Morgoth was one of them. He was also pretty much the biggest, baddest evil in the history of Arda.

Maiar: Sauron, the Valaraukar, Saruman. None of them were very nice folks.

Men: They betrayed the Elves and were corrupted by Morgoth. They were corrupted by Sauron. They even went so far as to WORSHIP the guy. Still serving their evil masters in the Third Age.

Dwarves: They were sometimes quite greedy, which resulted in the betrayal and murder of Thingol by the dwarves of Nogrond, which lead to the sacking of Doriath. Not a stellar history.

So, really, your points are valid, but they apply to everyone else as well.
    Findurin - 85 Desperate Flighter - UnitedSands of Dark TrucidOticus | Gauwrun - r7 Stalker - A Team | Ashnakh - r5 Warleader - A Team
    [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?320682-Dear-Turbine-(Or-concerning-Frankenspiders)"]Support Frankenspider![/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Taralom View Post

So, really, your points are valid, but they apply to everyone else as well.
    No argument there.

Being the Silmarillion though, the despicable acts of the Elves are delved into in much greater detail than the "side stories" of Men and Dwarves. The Elves are arguably the focus of this book, and while the treachery of men and the Dwarf-Elf wars of the first age are indeed stains on their history, none of the above was as painful to read as, for example, when the Noldor slaughtered the Teleri for their ships. I think we all expect Men to betray everybody and Dwarves to war against the Elves, but the kinslaying by the Noldor in the First Age were a shocking eye-opener for me.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000002ceda/01008/signature.png]Jestef[/charsig][color=yellow][b][i]"Since they were to come in the days of the power of Melkor, Aulë made the dwarves strong to endure. Therefor they are stone-hard, stubborn, fast in friendship and in enmity, and they suffer toil and hunger and hurt of body more hardily than all other speaking peoples"[/i][/b][/color] - [color=red][b]The Silmarillion[/b][/color]

Quote Originally Posted by LoupGarou216 View Post
    No argument there.

Being the Silmarillion though, the despicable acts of the Elves are delved into in much greater detail than the "side stories" of Men and Dwarves. The Elves are arguably the focus of this book, and while the treachery of men and the Dwarf-Elf wars of the first age are indeed stains on their history, none of the above was as painful to read as, for example, when the Noldor slaughtered the Teleri for their ships. I think we all expect Men to betray everybody and Dwarves to war against the Elves, but the kinslaying by the Noldor in the First Age were a shocking eye-opener for me.
    And why was it so painful to read? I feel it is because it was such a huge departure from the normal behaviour of the Elves. The Elves turning on each other is so shocking, so eye-opening, because you know they are as a whole better than that, you know of their normal nobility and honour, and you could never have expected the massacre of Alqualonde.
    Findurin - 85 Desperate Flighter - UnitedSands of Dark TrucidOticus | Gauwrun - r7 Stalker - A Team | Ashnakh - r5 Warleader - A Team
    [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?320682-Dear-Turbine-(Or-concerning-Frankenspiders)"]Support Frankenspider![/URL]

Because of their bittersweet history and the idea that this era is pretty much their final years of fading glory.

I chose a female elf because at least I'd have an excuse for crying like a girl when I get hit...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000101b5d/01008/signature.png]Iluvende[/charsig]
    [color=lightblue][i][b]We still remember, we who dwell
    In this far land beneath the trees
    Thy starlight on the Western seas.[/color][/i][/b]

1) I tried all the other races and I didn't find them fun or immersive.

2) Elves make the best Hunters.

3) Elves have the best zones. Sorry dorfs Thorins hall is still just a hole in the ground and Moria is a hole in the ground full of orc and orc poo.

Then we come to the race of Men. Saruman said this about the house of Eoril but it fits Bree rather well...."A thatched roof barn where brigands drink in the reek and their brats roll on the floor with the dogs."

And as far as male Elves looking like chicks.....I can't think of one instance where any of mine have ever been mistaken for females. All I hear from other players is "Dude that was awsome!" or "thanks for the help dude."

In all seriousness though the first two reasons are really the only ones. I like the way Elves look and feel when you play them. Its nice having that connection to the whole history of Arda. It really lends the feeling that the war isnt simply an obligation forged from a desire for self preservation, but the duty of being the first born of Illuvatar.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/02204000000273b16/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

+ Bow damage and hawt looks. The Bree girls don't do it for me.
    Elven Adventuress UI ~ Newbie Guide To Playing LotRO ~ Guide To Dual-Boxing LotRO

Chose mine because I was a total n00b in the begging and thought Elves were cool like Legolas.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000000ad046/signature.png]Thaluil[/charsig]
    Curinoer, HNT R7- Wuffles, RVR R8 - Gashim, WRG R8

Legolas in the movies is a downturn, but it didn't kill it for me.

I just like the way they look and I'll spend a lot of time staring at that character's backside. Some female men characters also come out good, but with less variety. The increased agility of the Elfs is to my liking, I like to actually hit things.

I wanted the stealth skill although after I got it I never used it because of the cooldown that ranges right into the 5th age. Well, you can't have everything.

So I have two women (Hunter and Captain), one Hobbit (Burglar), one Dwarf and the rest is Elves, with the Dwarf guardian possibly being replaced with an Elf one if his looks don't improve anytime soon. I feel that in LOTRO there are only very limited sets of design elements that make Dwarfs look good, aka the good-looking Dwarfs mostly all look the same.

I have one character, her name is Illidirial of Lorien and she is a Runekeeper. Before I get into detail about why I chose an elf I should first elaborate on my own character.

My Character
    1) The name Illidrial, to my knowledge has no real meaning, because when I created her I saw myself more as a parent then as a writer and how many parents look for meanings in a name? Most of them just want their child to have a kicking name. So I chose Illidrial, but also for the reasons it reminds me of both Gil-Galad and Galadriel.

2) I chose Runekeeper at the beginning because I thought it was a pretty cool class, but as I leveled and my character grew with the class I became more aware that Runekeeper FITS the Elven race, more so my character. During one of the class quests where you visit Weathertop you are taught the way of runes and how runes are connected to Nature. I have always seen Elves as masters of Nature and all life on Middle-Earth, that is in fact why at least one elf that I know of chose to come over the sea. Because she would be held in much higher respects and would be able to rule.

The Race
    1) Elves are the first born. They are the older brother's and sister's, they are their brother's keepers, they are responsible for their siblings (the other races). They are much older and much wiser than any child of Illuvatar that walks Middle-Earth.
    I also think that being the first born, they have a certain favoritism, they must be the beloved of the Valar because despite their betrayal they were called home in the end (Most of them).

2) Elves are the essence of good. As far as the levels of piety go in the realm of Tolkien I think it is as follows:
    The One
    The Valar
    The Maiar
    The Elves
    (Continued)
    The closer you are to The One, indeed the holier you are. The Elves are not immune to corruption, but they are very virtuous creatures.
    One trait I think they exhibit that proves their high moral standards is the little "No Sex Before Marriage" clause that they have going on. Furthermore, divorce is unheard of among them, I haven't read up much on this, but as far as I have read they are the only race that is loyal to their spouses "Til death do they part".

3) The Rings. The Elves were the ONLY race that was able to wield the rings that were (originally) given to them. They held together the very last alliance against Sauron's power, the Three Rings were the last true power on Middle Earth that was wielded by the Free Peoples.
    It was the elves who forged the rings, the elves who hid and protected the rings, and later the elves who wielded and used the rings to hold back the tide of darkness sweeping from Mordor.
    Does the ancient power of the elves still exist? No, the race is no where near as powerful as it once was, but I would place money on it that if you pit any other race, in its entirety against the Elven people and they all hauled up in Lorien and Rivendell, those other races wouldn't get ANYWHERE.
    Lothlorien held back Dol Guldur three times by the power of Nenya and Rivendell barred the way to the Nine with the power of Vilya.

So those are ultimately my reasons for choosing an elf, love them, hate them.
    [center][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000001c6135/01006/signature.png]Illidrial[/charsig]
    [color=goldenrod]"Shine forever beacon of light! Blazon the air, vanquishing night! Sing forever, proud and strong, anthem of life, conquering song!"[/color][/center]

Hey secret fire, I like your explanation of runekeepers I hope more people read it and pick up on the way you feel they fit into Lotro. I suspect that elves low birth rate has more to do with them thinking carefully about who they choose to spend the rest of their lives with, and we are not talking about the next 50 years. It may be that few of them married as they couldnt stand being saddled with nagging mothers in law for the rest of eternity or paying child support for the next 5 milenia rather than due to any greater morality on their part.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001019a8/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    "Of course I am the only elf in the village"

I always play mage/caster in other games, or paladin/tank type. This was the first game I decided to pick up a bow and go. Hunter for me was naturally an elf thing, plus they get some type of bonus to bows (which doesn't amount to much from what I'm told)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000007e350/signature.png]Kryadan[/charsig]

I have always loved Elves, and they look cool, especially the female Elves, and although my first Elf was A Hunter and another a Warden, my latest Elf character I chose a Champion. Obviously, not the best class for a Champion, not like a Dwarf or Human, but I thought It would make the character more of a challenge to master rather than the traditional class for a particular race. For example, my Main is a Dwarf Guardian, then an Elven Hunter, a Human Captain, and Dwarf Rune-Keeper ( No real difference between Elves and Dwarves for that class). So now I went Hard Mode .

Quote Originally Posted by scotty032671 View Post
    my latest Elf character I chose a Champion. Obviously, not the best class for a Champion, not like a Dwarf or Human, but I thought It would make the character more of a challenge to master rather than the traditional class for a particular race.
    Actually I think Elf is best for Champions. At least they hit what they aim at in the early levels and they avoid quite a bit of incoming damage.

I made my first characters elves because I have always loved Tolkien's elves more than any of the other races. I also don't really care to play humans in games - I'm one in real life so why play one? If I have a choice of race, human will usually be my last resort.
    O Elvenking! … Merry be the Greenwood while the world is yet young and merry be all your folk!

I make my characters Elves in almost every fantasy game I play. I've always found their lore and history far more interesting than any of the other races in the story. Plus they're immortal. I like the idea that my character will keep on going long after the dwarves, hobbits, and humans are all gone.

Besides, I play games for an escape. Why would I want to play a human when I'm already one irl?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0820700000004d652/01007/signature.png]Elanthion[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-King View Post
    I make my characters Elves in almost every fantasy game I play. [...]

Plus they're immortal.
    Not when I play one...

Quote Originally Posted by Darmokk View Post
    Not when I play one...
    I second that. They aren't immortal when I play them either.

18 Elfs and counting in LOTRO and still haven't made it to Undying (not that I really care, but just saying for the record). As often as my Elves are defeated in LOTRO and take the dirt-nap you'd think I was running them too hard.

Although I confess, at least in my case, the problem may be PEBKAC (Problem exists between keyboard and chair) rather than my Race. I am a lemming at heart and if there isn't a nearby cliff to jump off of, then I'm running into Helegrod solo at lvl12 or other such madness that ultimately doesn't end very well for my Elfs.
    [CENTER][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=3][I]~[/I][B][COLOR=DarkOrchid]NOST CORUFAER[/COLOR][/B][I]~[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]
    An all Elven Kinship, perfecting [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=Cyan][Prized Pie][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype] since the Dawn of the Second Age...only on Elendilmir.
    [/FONT] [FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=1][I]"It began with a leaf caught in the wind..."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

They are the ONLY race that doesn't scare the wild life.

Try getting close to any of the wild animals in-game with other races and they will run away from ya.

Perfect for my Lore-master Elf.

Friend of the Wild, indeed!

Fingolfin, Glorfindel, Ecthelion, Fingon, Finrod, Feanor - so many badass glorious elves in the Silmarillion. I started playing this game as I was just about done reading it so there was really 0 other choice for me, hah.

Its a shame NONE of their uberness is reflected in their in-game traits.
    Turwe-1, Crickhollow ~ Alakra, Meneldor ~ Snuke, Meneldor ~ Suge-1, Brandywine

I simply always play an elf when starting a game that has elves in it. Of course, I started an elf minstril and played till around level 27, but then stopped playing for a while (over a year) and just started back up last night and have NO clue how to play that character anymore. Torn between relearning her, starting a new one and just learning from scratch, or playing my Hunter I started last night (just did a few small missions).

Hell, wouldn't mind a Dwarf Guardian, but I love elves too much.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000000fef2/01006/signature.png]Alsione[/charsig]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast