We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 76 to 100 of 100
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in a forest.
    Posts
    307

    Re: Why You Picked An elf

    Quote Originally Posted by callquinta View Post
    Did u pick ur elf because he is tall, or looks good, just because elves are awesome. I picked mine cuz i know a fair amount of lotr lore and i know just how awesome elfs are. My elf is from Lindon, because Lindon is one of the first elven cities. So why did you pick ur character as an elf what class is he, and what do you think of him now?
    This post suggests you are blind, and didn't really read your lore that accurately.


    Also,
    Dwarves > Elves

    Sincerely,
    me.


    EDIT: Been reading some posts here. I think i'm gonna go jump off a ledge now...
    Last edited by Onir; Nov 28 2011 at 02:28 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e215000000015135/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    "And though all I see is darkness, I know that I will not flinch from my destiny."

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6

    Re: Why You Picked An elf

    There are jokes made about the height of dwarves and hobbits, and both sorts have been directed at me, because I'm fairly short >.<
    As others have stated, I'm human why would I want to pretend to be human.
    And although the look of elves isn't to my liking, their personalities are. Besides, they fit well with the two character classes that appealed to me, Hunters and Runekeepers (the latter of which I'm going to wait to try as they are a paid feature, and I'm not sure I want to do that just yet).

    So, elf it is, and will pretty much always be unless someone comes up with some other race that has a similar outlook, isn't shorter than I am, and isn't human. :P

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    64

    Re: Why You Picked An elf

    As a runekeeper I had to choose between an elf and a dwarf. I chose the elf because I thought he looked better in light armor than the dwarf and seemed to fit the class better.

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    144

    Re: Why You Picked An elf

    I have always been interested in Tolkien elves, because, to me, they represent figures out of Celtic mythology that I grew up with.

    It is clear to me that Tolkien based his elves on many of these myths. The tales of the Tuatha de danan - a race of beautiful, artistic, skilled crafters, warriors and artisans who settled in Ireland after arriving from the west in ships made of clouds - who then burned their ships to prevent anyone from returning, are clearly reflected in his works.

    In related or derivative myths, the aes sídhe (people of the mounds) were often seen as descendents of the Tuatha de danan, those who did not retreat to the West or the "Otherworld" after their defeat by the Milesians (mortal men from the Iberian peninsula (Spain)), and are most closely associated with the fairies or elves. They are said to be stunningly beautiful but can also be hideous and dangerous (ex. the bean sidhe...anglicized Banshee, or "woman of the sidhe"). They are often said in ancient myth and literature (such as the Book of Invasions) to exist "beyond the Western seas" and/or in a parallel universe that has connections with our own where the fey folk walk among us unseen (most of the time).

    This "Otherworld" is reflected in the myths of Tiranog, Avalon, the Irish mounds, etc., and is also reflected in Tolkien's works, especially in realms such as Aman, Imladris, Lothlorien, and possibly the more sinister otherworld in which the Ringwraiths and ring-bearers at least partially inhabit. I say this realm may be related to the elven realms because Gandalf describes Frodo's vision of Glorfindel when he wears the ring as how he exists on the other side - indicating the possibility that elves exist in both realms simultaneously (though Glorfindel could likely be a special case).

    In short, I have always been a student of ancient Irish mythology - since I heard the simplified stories as a young child, and Given that Tolkien's Middle-Earth is his version of ancient Northern European mythology, I have always been particularly interested in the detailed and beautifully rendered history and description of his elves as giving additional flourish to the stories and "fairy"-tales of my youth.

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    144

    Re: Why You Picked An elf

    Another similarity I liked, the Gaelic Otherworld is seen as closer to ours at the times of dusk and dawn, which also seems to be times of special significance to most elves.

    Also, when early Christianity came to Celtic lands, the Tuatha de danan and/or the Sidh were often said to have been fallen angels - depending on your point of view, angels that either did or did not side with Lucifer but were, for some reason, cast out of heaven. There are some similarities with this view and that of elves in Tolkien's universe in that many elves in Middle Earth are "exiles" from the Undying Lands, and the fact that in Tolkien's mythology, elves are tied to the land itself and are apparently (with some controversy) not to be part of the "Second Music of the Ainur" signifying the end of time.
    Last edited by Wyndelleu; Apr 05 2012 at 04:02 PM.

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,550

    Re: Why You Picked An elf

    You people make me want to level my male Elf mini

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    144

    Re: Why You Picked An elf

    Quote Originally Posted by Darmokk View Post
    You people make me want to level my male Elf mini
    Shaka, when the walls fell.

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,550

    Re: Why You Picked An elf

    Quote Originally Posted by Wyndelleu View Post
    Shaka, when the walls fell.
    Too bad no singing was involved in that episode.

  9. #84

    Re: Why You Picked An elf

    I don't understand people who think that male elves are feminine.

    I don't see it. At all.

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    179

    Re: Why You Picked An elf

    Quote Originally Posted by Zachski View Post
    I don't understand people who think that male elves are feminine.

    I don't see it. At all.
    I really hope you're being sarcastic.
    Check out [url=http://my.lotro.com/user-1174194/]my blog[/url]! Kinda inactive, but there's some good stuff on RP in there. Anti-lore RPers, check it out for raegtiems.

  11. #86

    Re: Why You Picked An elf

    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkud View Post
    I really hope you're being sarcastic.
    Nope.

    Looking at a male elf, I'm reminded of the powdered nobles from the victorian era. In their time, they were considered the epitome of manliness. Except the male elf is actually manlier.

    Broad shoulders, firm back, more toned than most LOTRO players...

    Honestly, the only thing remotely feminine about them is that they're good looking and well-groomed - and those are not feminine traits.

    It's like the people who call male elves from another game feminine, despite the fact that they have body builder stature - it's just that they're slimmer-limbed than the other muscle-bound members of other races. It's a silly meme that isn't funny anymore.

  12. #87

    Re: Why You Picked An elf

    Quote Originally Posted by Zachski View Post
    Nope.

    Looking at a male elf, I'm reminded of the powdered nobles from the victorian era. In their time, they were considered the epitome of manliness. Except the male elf is actually manlier.

    Broad shoulders, firm back, more toned than most LOTRO players...

    Honestly, the only thing remotely feminine about them is that they're good looking and well-groomed - and those are not feminine traits.

    It's like the people who call male elves from another game feminine, despite the fact that they have body builder stature - it's just that they're slimmer-limbed than the other muscle-bound members of other races. It's a silly meme that isn't funny anymore.
    They don't see them as effeminate. They are projecting their own lack of self-confidence onto a cartoonish representation of a race of people who are supposed to be graceful, elegant and magical. Elven males are attractive, slender and poised. Something which the people commenting upon them are very likely not. If you look at female Elves in comparison, they look nothing like the males but poor self-image and lack of confidence leads people to bash something as being effeminate. It's really just trolling... and not even good trolling. If it is serious, then they have real issues that aren't going to be solved in a forum. They might want to seek some actual psychiatric help.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000021802c/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Looks like the signatures are broken ... All of my craft skills are maxed.

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3

    Re: Why You Picked An elf

    Because I was going to have a hobbit main and play that with my sister. Then the elf somehow became a main. I'd race change to hobbit if I could.

  14. #89
    I picked mine for the sake of being a hunter with the awesome Elf bonuses like Silvan Shadows.

    Gotta love that one.

  15. #90
    This thread makes the old regrets of rolling a Man Warden resurface.

    Then I remember my man-heal

    Although, for wardens, Eldar's Grace isn't too shabby either (less than people think), since it is super easy to reach block cap but less easy to cap out Parry/Evade.

    Still... I wish I had either rolled an Elf or Hobbit ward... but I'm too deep in it now to turn back.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001f1086/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  16. #91
    I play Elves out of deep appreciation for things of beauty... and pointy ears.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/13213000000019689/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Switzerland / Schweiz
    Posts
    300
    I play Elves because I love Role-playing them. I might not be able to portray the perfect Elf, but I like to do what I can because it's fun.
    [center][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0000001a34b0/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [url=https://twitter.com/NalyeAsMeldar]Twitter[/url] | [URL="http://sarathaela.deviantart.com/"]Deviant Art[/URL] | [URL="http://hammadiquendi.blogspot.ch/"]Hammad-i-Quendi - Outfits for Elves[/URL]
    Daerundros | Selarthil | Ruthoiel | Duinien[/center]

  18. #93
    I play an elf because in the Silmarillion they rock. It's not their fault that the game has watered them down to something less than they should be. I play an elf to persevere.
    [IMG]http://i21.servimg.com/u/f21/19/12/21/17/downlo10.jpg[/IMG]

  19. #94
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Land of the Midnight Sun
    Posts
    131
    Because the Elf-hunter looked Kinda heroic on the create-a-character screen
    Last edited by randomthing; Nov 29 2013 at 04:00 PM.

  20. #95
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    I'm too drunk to taste this chicken
    Posts
    1,485
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachski View Post
    I don't understand people who think that male elves are feminine.

    I don't see it. At all.
    I never got it either. Besides, what's more feminine? Someone playing an elf? Or the millions of guys that play female toons in MMOs?

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,685
    My first character is a Hunter. A hunter is a class who uses bow to attack. Which kind of race reminds me of a bow-user? Elf, of course ^^
    [I]"Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of judgment. For even the wise cannot see all ends"[/I] - [B]Gandalf[/B]

  22. #97
    I didn't. Simple. (5 Men, 2 Dwarves and a hobbit).
    105s: Aedfrith (HN), Aldnoth (CP), Brai (RK), Hrolfdan (MN), Aeldfryd (WD), Morriarty (CH), Aednoth (LM), Mishhar (BR), Hraldan (GR), Rummbold (BG). Tinies - Rumbelina (MN), Aenghus (CP)
    Rangers of Eriador (officer), ex-Snowbourn now Laurelin - A Noob for All Seasons

  23. #98
    I picked an elf because all the dwarves were taken :P
    "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

  24. #99
    I'm going to go with elf because my character will be like Enjolras from Les Miserables, and it makes a lot of sense if he's an elf.

  25. #100

    why a elf

    For the cookies...



    ...and the fudge!

 

 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload