We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Melkor and Ungoliaths baby

I read somewhere that Gothmog Lord of Balrogs (not to be confused wth Gothmog the Orc) was the offspring of Ungoliath and Melkor...

1) I would like to see how that was possible! Or maybe not...yuck.

2) How can you be a Balrog, i.e. Lord of Balrogs if your parents were not Balrogs unless Gothmog Lord of Balrogs was not a Balrog...
    In that case waht was he then?

3) I guess when you are a Valor (Melkor) and Queen of all the Spiders (Ungoliath) you can pretty much accomplish whaterver you want I guess...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/02204000000100b68/01008/signature.png]Vinarion[/charsig]

Re: Melkor and Ungoliaths baby

I'm pretty sure that's completely and utterly false. For one, Gothmog was a Balrog, and Maiar aren't really born, they were made by Illuvatar before the world began (although Maiar can have relations with lesser creatures, ie Melian). For another thing, Morgoth more or less meets Ungoliant, hatches his evil plan to destroy the Trees (mwhahaha), and then puts it into action. After that, he flees with her to Middle Earth, where they quarrel, and then the Balrogs come and drive Ungoliant away. So now time for 'relations'. For one MORE thing, she was a giant spider, and he was an immortal evil angel .

tl;dr No Gothmog is not.

e.h.b
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000000a3c89/01001/signature.png]Eroin[/charsig]
    and the ever watchful warg, waiting from the shadows, fear the name of Bagulrat.

3. Re: Melkor and Ungoliaths baby

Quote Originally Posted by Chipset View Post
    I read somewhere that Gothmog Lord of Balrogs (not to be confused wth Gothmog the Orc) was the offspring of Ungoliath and Melkor...

1) I would like to see how that was possible! Or maybe not...yuck.

2) How can you be a Balrog, i.e. Lord of Balrogs if your parents were not Balrogs unless Gothmog Lord of Balrogs was not a Balrog...
    In that case waht was he then?

3) I guess when you are a Valor (Melkor) and Queen of all the Spiders (Ungoliath) you can pretty much accomplish whaterver you want I guess...
    In the History of Middle-Earth series, Gothmog was the son of Melko (Melkor) and a female trolls whose name escapes me. With that said:

1) The normal way. It just wouldn't be pretty.
    2 and 3) Keep in mind that Tolkien's mythology was still in its infancy and he changed his mind many times. However, Morgoth was a master at corrupting nature even at a genetic level. Almost nothing is impossible.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000009263b/01003/signature.png]Arasilion[/charsig]

gothmog could be melkor's son in the same way that melkor is manwe's brother. not biologically, as they are not born as the children of illuvatar are, but rather meaning that they are closely related in the mind of their creator, illuvatar

Quote Originally Posted by newwwwb View Post
    gothmog could be melkor's son in the same way that melkor is manwe's brother. not biologically, as they are not born as the children of illuvatar are, but rather meaning that they are closely related in the mind of their creator, illuvatar
    I'm thinking you hit the nail on the head with that...
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

Either that (Melkor messing with a troll --eepers) -- or since Melkor twisted and perverted creatures to his own designs (thus was their "father") -- he cold then be considered the "father" of Gothmog.
    [URL="http://www.council-of-eraidor.com"][/URL]

I did some research and I got the name wrong.

Here is what I found on wiki:

"In The Book of Lost Tales, Tolkien describes Kosomot, the original version of Gothmog, as a son of Morgoth and the ogress, Fluithuin or Ulbandi,[38] but the idea of the children of Valar was largely abandoned in later writings."

Thus, originally Gothmog/Kosomot was the son of Melkor and Ulbandi.
    Not sure why I thought Ulbandi was a spider or thought I read it was Ungoliath.

I am glad Tolkien abandoned the idea.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/02204000000100b68/01008/signature.png]Vinarion[/charsig]