We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3

    Who the heck is Anathron!?

    *Warning possible spoilers*

    While I was finally doing Vol I Book 15 a few days ago, there was a certain instance where you actually meet Sauron under his elven disguise during the second age amongst the Mirdain.

    But lo and behold, while I was clearly expecting Annatar The Lord of Gifts as clearly documented in The Silmarillion and The Unfinished Tales (or Lost Tales? Can't remember or find the books again in all my boxes) and now he is renamed Anathron.

    I'm wondering why the sudden break with the lore when throughout, the game has been fairly thourough in sticking with Tolkien's works.

    Does anyone have an explanation?

    Regards
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0220400000000ba8e/01001/signature.png]Barain[/charsig]

  2. Re: Who the heck is Anathron!?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel View Post
    *Warning possible spoilers*

    While I was finally doing Vol I Book 15 a few days ago, there was a certain instance where you actually meet Sauron under his elven disguise during the second age amongst the Mirdain.

    But lo and behold, while I was clearly expecting Annatar The Lord of Gifts as clearly documented in The Silmarillion and The Unfinished Tales (or Lost Tales? Can't remember or find the books again in all my boxes) and now he is renamed Anathron.

    I'm wondering why the sudden break with the lore when throughout, the game has been fairly thourough in sticking with Tolkien's works.

    Does anyone have an explanation?

    Regards
    Turbine doesn't have the rights to the name "Annatar". They had to make a new name that basically means the same thing.

    EDIT: As an aside, Sauron looks sorta neat in that instance. His raven black hair and that robe with the shots of red throughout basically scream that this guy isn't your best friend :-)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000009263b/01003/signature.png]Arasilion[/charsig]

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3

    Re: Who the heck is Anathron!?

    Thanks for the quick reply!

    Do you know why they don't have the rights for that specific name but everything else so far?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0220400000000ba8e/01001/signature.png]Barain[/charsig]

  4. #4

    Re: Who the heck is Anathron!?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply!

    Do you know why they don't have the rights for that specific name but everything else so far?
    turbine only has the rights for the lord of the rings books, in which sauron is never referred to as Annatar

  5. Re: Who the heck is Anathron!?

    Quote Originally Posted by newwwwb View Post
    turbine only has the rights for the lord of the rings books, in which sauron is never referred to as Annatar
    What this guy said. If it's not mentioned in The Hobbit, LOTR, or the Appendix, Turbine can't use the material without getting their butts sued into oblivion.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000009263b/01003/signature.png]Arasilion[/charsig]

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3

    Re: Who the heck is Anathron!?

    Aaah I see, that's too bad.

    I hope eventually they'll revise that otherwise we're gonna see more and more inconsistencies like that crop up.

    Thanks for the info.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0220400000000ba8e/01001/signature.png]Barain[/charsig]

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ohio, where we never have any adventures or do anything unexpected
    Posts
    4,646

    Re: Who the heck is Anathron!?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel View Post
    *Warning possible spoilers*

    While I was finally doing Vol I Book 15 a few days ago, there was a certain instance where you actually meet Sauron under his elven disguise during the second age amongst the Mirdain.

    But lo and behold, while I was clearly expecting Annatar The Lord of Gifts as clearly documented in The Silmarillion and The Unfinished Tales (or Lost Tales? Can't remember or find the books again in all my boxes) and now he is renamed Anathron.

    I'm wondering why the sudden break with the lore when throughout, the game has been fairly thourough in sticking with Tolkien's works.

    Does anyone have an explanation?

    Regards

    Well, as others have said, Turbine doesn't have the rights to the name "Annatar, The Lord of Gifts". But, they have given us a close facsimile. Instead of Annatar, we have Antheron.


    Annatar comes from Quenya:

    Anna (gift) + tar (noble, royal, high, lord) = Annatar (Lord of Gifts)



    Antheron comes from Sindarin:

    Ant (gift) + heron (master) = Antheron (Master of Gifts)
    [COLOR=yellowgreen][B]"Pure creation is like a vacation."[/B][/COLOR]
    [INDENT]- Welby of Landroval[/INDENT]

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    3,062

    Re: Who the heck is Anathron!?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arasilion View Post
    What this guy said. If it's not mentioned in The Hobbit, LOTR, or the Appendix, Turbine can't use the material without getting their butts sued into oblivion.
    Pretty much said it for me.

  9. #9

    Re: Who the heck is Anathron!?

    I think Sauron is the most interesting Tolkien character.
    Probably because there is so much mystique about him and you have to admit..the opening sequence in the movie was pretty cool when he played "good guy" golf with his mace!
    Plus, the Silmarillion leaves you wanting for so much more detail aka LOTR's....as its so high level. Wolf Sauron, Vampire Bat Sauron, Monster Sauron, etc etc etc
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/02204000000100b68/01008/signature.png]Vinarion[/charsig]

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,092

    Re: Who the heck is Anathron!?

    Since you mention where you saw him, I thought I would point something out. I don't know if it's related and I haven't run the instance in a while to be sure.

    Near Gwingris, in the wooded area to the SE. There is a black spot on the ground and you get hit with dread when you step on it. If my memory serves correct that is the spot that Anathron(Sauron) stood when he convinced Amarthiel to come with him.

    Theodhelm - Captain | Junkyard - Stalker
    Previously from ~Elendilmir Server~ the [Jewelled Bell] of servers
    ~Arkenstone~
    ~Misadventurers~

  11. Re: Who the heck is Anathron!?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thalifea View Post
    Near Gwingris, in the wooded area to the SE. There is a black spot on the ground and you get hit with dread when you step on it. If my memory serves correct that is the spot that Anathron(Sauron) stood when he convinced Amarthiel to come with him.
    Whoa, really?! If so, kudos to Turbine for thinking that up and kudos to you for realizing it!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000009263b/01003/signature.png]Arasilion[/charsig]

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload