We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
  1. MOST favorite aspect of the mythology?

Well, what is it? Could it be a quote that gave you goosebumps, some descriptive imagery that almost made you think you were there witnessing an event, or what?

I really couldn't say with certainty what mine is. I'll think of something, then later remember something else that tops it, and so on. But if I had to say, it's probably how Tolkien used symbolism (for lack of a better word, but it's NOT allegory). For instance, the only Noldo (Fingolfin) to leave Valinor not out of a heart of rebellion but for the love of his friends who were leaving was the only Elf to do Morgoth any lasting harm and he was also the only Noldo to ever see a Silmaril since their capture ever again.....ironic, considering that the Elves left and spent hundreds of years for the express purpose of reclaiming them, and none but Fingolfin availed to so much as SEE one.

I could go on with the examples, really; but Fingolfin came to mind first.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000009263b/01003/signature.png]Arasilion[/charsig]

Re: MOST favorite aspect of the mythology?

I have a couple things that I greatly enjoy. I absolutely love the Ainulindalë, the Music of the Ainur. I find it rather unique in literature.

I love the themes of honor and self-sacrifice to protect others. Barahir to save Finrod, Finrod to save Beren, Glorfindel to save the survivors of Gondolin, etc. I guess the latter is just part of an overall collection of themes that focus on how people should act in life. Honor, valour, trust, mercy, self-sacrifice for others. There are a lot of good messages to pull out of Tolkien's works.

Oh, and I love a good happy ending
    Aethelbehrt ~ Captain of Landroval
    Haradwen ~ Warden of Landroval
    Zôraphel ~ Burglar of Landroval

About that good happy ending...:
    http://lorenrosson.blogspot.com/2005...-of-rings.html

I think Rosson makes a very good case. It also happens to be the way I see it .

As far as my favorite aspect of the mythology: I love the fact that when characters do the right thing, they do it simply because it is the right thing, not because they hope for a good ending or a celestial reward. Indeed, they tend to expect the opposite, if anything. It is foretold that Morgoth will return and the world will be destroyed, therefore everyone's work in the meantime is, in a way, in vain and without hope. Yet they go on, because that's where their moral compass points, and I find that more compelling than any other reason.
    [i][color=#dbb953]"Yet there may be a light beyond the darkness; and if so, I would have you see it and be glad."[/color][/i]

Actually, I think my favorite aspect of the mythology may well be the hobbits -- "twee" enough to appeal to children, deep enough to appeal to adults, by turns capable of being funny, stirring, or tragic -- in many ways, the perfect "everyman hero" material.

-The Gneech
    [I]Premium content since 2010.[/I]
    [url=http://www.valarguild.org]Valar Guild: Lore Monkeys and Proud of It[/url]
    [url=http://my.lotro.com/thegneech/][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000001149ed/01005/signature.png]Honorary Shirriff Maedhroc Thornhollow[/charsig][/url]
    [url=http://www.gneech.com]Gneech.com[/url] - My writing, comics, and art.

Hobbits.

I wish I was born into an alternate reality where this society was real.

Enuf sed?
    [B][COLOR=red]Turn[/COLOR] - Guardian
    [COLOR=red]Balandolen[/COLOR] - Lore-master
    [COLOR=red]Turnholm[/COLOR] - Minstrel

[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by MataTahu View Post
    Hobbits.

I wish I was born into an alternate reality where this society was real.

Enuf sed?
    You could try Dibley, Oxfordshire...

-The Gneech
    [I]Premium content since 2010.[/I]
    [url=http://www.valarguild.org]Valar Guild: Lore Monkeys and Proud of It[/url]
    [url=http://my.lotro.com/thegneech/][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000001149ed/01005/signature.png]Honorary Shirriff Maedhroc Thornhollow[/charsig][/url]
    [url=http://www.gneech.com]Gneech.com[/url] - My writing, comics, and art.

Ohio, where we never have any adventures or do anything unexpected

I'm personally torn between Hobbits and Tolkien's languages. The former are what really drive the story, giving it the perfect everyday heroes that anyone can connect with. But the later, are what color the world and bring it to life. From character and place names to full fledged languages and cultural distinctions, I love every bit of it! Even the way Tolkien present his languages in an understandable way by substituting real languages in their place is absolute genius! I suppose it is for that reason that I love Elvish (both Sindarin and Quenya, though I think I have slight preference for Quenya), and yet I prefer to play as a hobbit.
    [COLOR=yellowgreen][B]"Pure creation is like a vacation."[/B][/COLOR]
    [INDENT]- Welby of Landroval[/INDENT]

Quote Originally Posted by Linwen View Post
    About that good happy ending...:
    [/url]

I think Rosson makes a very good case. It also happens to be the way I see it .
    I should have been a bit more specific I suppose. When I referenced the happy ending, I mean the final end when Turin defeats Morgoth once and for all and the Children of Illuvitar participate in the Second Music of the Ainur when Arda is renewed and all that good stuff.
    Aethelbehrt ~ Captain of Landroval
    Haradwen ~ Warden of Landroval
    Zôraphel ~ Burglar of Landroval

My favorite parts are
    #1 - Hurin's last stand (Aure entulava!)

followed very closely by Fingolfin's duel with Morgoth

then bringing in the bronze medal - Tulkas laying the smackdown on Morgoth (twice). That would be a cool scene in a Silmarillion movie.
    [U]Gladden - Thronnos Rokke Clan[/U]
    [B]Tuomer[/B], Captain lvl 65
    [B]Twink[/B], Burglar lvl 65
    [B]Curangail[/B], Champion lvl 65

The creation of Arda. I was fascinated by the stories relating to initial creation, starting with the towers of light, and how the landscape continually changed prior to the First Age. I was even more fascinated learning that the Middle-Earth landscape molded into a reflection of modern Europe physically by the beginning of the First Age.

On a side note, I think the moment I became a solidified die hard Tolkien fan was while driving the E6 south through the mountains in Norway from Oppdal towards Olso when I passed a small sign noting a little town named Bree off to the right.

Done. That man's traveled and his imagination ran wild. That moment made me realize how much a writer's influence comes from life experiences. To this day I wish I had pulled over to mark where that was, because I can't find it on a map anymore. Would be neat to know how or when he visited that area, if that's indeed where he got the name.
    [B]Magnarr [/B] - Lvl 85 Champion
    Leader, United Races (Vilya server)
    Cofounder and Leader, Vilya Alliance coalition of kinships
    [url]www.UnitedRaces.net[/url] [url]www.VilyaAlliance.com[/url]

As a follow-up, after incessant googling, there's also a 'Bree' in Belgium.
    Last edited by Magnarr; Apr 28 2009 at 01:24 AM.

And if I remember correctly, one in either Ireland or Scotland as well.

e.h.b
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000000a3c89/01001/signature.png]Eroin[/charsig]
    and the ever watchful warg, waiting from the shadows, fear the name of Bagulrat.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnarr View Post
    On a side note, I think the moment I became a solidified die hard Tolkien fan was while driving the E6 south through the mountains in Norway from Oppdal towards Olso when I passed a small sign noting a little town named Bree off to the right.

Done. That man's traveled and his imagination ran wild. That moment made me realize how much a writer's influence comes from life experiences. To this day I wish I had pulled over to mark where that was, because I can't find it on a map anymore. Would be neat to know how or when he visited that area, if that's indeed where he got the name.
    The village of Brill is said to have been Tolkien's inspiration for Bree.

Quote Originally Posted by e_h_b View Post
    And if I remember correctly, one in either Ireland or Scotland as well.
    That's interesting, considering that the name Bree is said to be Celtic in origin. Brill, Tolkien's inspiration for Bree, takes its name from a modern contraction for Bre-hyll -- from Celtic (more specifically Brythonic) Breg, and Anglo Saxon Hyll, both meaning "hill". Likewise, the name Bree is said to mean "hill", in reference to Bree-hill, upon whose slopes the town of Bree was set.

It's easy to see where Tolkien got the name. Bre-hyll becomes Bree-hill and Bre (or Breg) becomes Bree.

For me, it is the size and detail of his world. There is soooo much detail, and it covers everything: Creationism, daily life, language, folk tales, customs. There is just so much that he created to make a living, breathing world. Take out one thing, and the epic level drops immensely. There are indeed times when I wish it was our pre-history, and the truth was the fiction.

I'd go so far as to say that an alien could not tell which was true when presented a modern history book and a compilation of the lore, given that they knew nothing of humanities past. That is how expansive it is.
    [COLOR="Red"][I][CENTER]Dwoir - 65 - Guardian
    Halfric - 65 - Warden
    Swifty and Hammo - Arkenstone
    [/CENTER][/I][/COLOR]

Perhaps its not an aspect of the mythology per se, but I simply love Tolkien's writing. Even the brief, almost biblical accounts of The Silmarillion are sheer poetry. This, of course, comes from Tolkien's background as a would-be poet, I should think, and is probably the number one draw for me. Apart from this presentation the stories and characters lose that majesty that makes them so beautiful and heroic.

To get more specific, I probably love the names the most as well, which in many cases is what the Professor started with. Even silly Hobbit names are so fun and memorable and having read through some other fantasy recently, that shall remain nameless, where the names seem dumb and like something I would have devised when I was writing short stories for my friends at age 11 I've come to appreciate the names and their meanings even more.
    [center][b][color=gray]Dedoric[/color] || [color=royalblue]Rocso[/color][/b] of [url=http://guild-sanctuary.com/lotro]Sanctuary[/url]
    [size=1][[url=http://lotroplayers.com]LOTROPlayers[/url]]
    [[url=http://greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com]The Grey Company Podcast[/url]]
    [[url=http://masteroflore.wordpress.com]Master of Lore blog[/url]][/size]
    [/center]

Not sure if this counts as "the mythology," but I absolutely love the whole idea that long ago the world was full of things from folklore and fairytales. I'm starting to re-read The Hobbit and I came across this line:
    Quote Originally Posted by JRR Tolkien
    One morning long ago in the quiet of the world, when there was less noise and more green
    And passages like that give me shivers. Just... the phrase "in the quiet of the world"... and the "less noise and more green" thing... and, all of it.
    [b]Andarina,[/b] level 12 Hobbit Minstrel [size=1] (Landroval)[/size]

[url=http://www.hobbitforums.com]The Hobbit Forums[/url] - [color=lightgreen]for discussion of the upcoming Hobbit movies[/color]

Quote Originally Posted by Reddhawk View Post
    The village of Brill is said to have been Tolkien's inspiration for Bree.
    Wow, interesting. Says there he even used a nearby town as inspiration for the Shire. Thought I had a little nugget there earlier; oh well.

I think Moria is one of his great contributions to gaming and fantasy novels, prior to tolkein the minotaurs' labrynth was about the extent of underground lairs, Tolkein expanded it with Goblin town and erebor then obviously said why stop with an underground city, lets put an underground country down there. Possibly Moria has parralels with Hades and other journeys underground (Jules Vern?) but my feeling is dungeons and dragons and all the games bases un dungeoneering owe it all to Tolkien.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001019a8/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    "Of course I am the only elf in the village"

Quote Originally Posted by Morthaur View Post
    I think Moria is one of his great contributions to gaming and fantasy novels, prior to tolkein the minotaurs' labrynth was about the extent of underground lairs, Tolkein expanded it with Goblin town and erebor then obviously said why stop with an underground city, lets put an underground country down there. Possibly Moria has parralels with Hades and other journeys underground (Jules Vern?) but my feeling is dungeons and dragons and all the games bases un dungeoneering owe it all to Tolkien.
    C. S. Lewis is also responsible for the very same thing. While The Fellowship of the Ring was published in 1954, Lewis' The Silver Chair was published in 1953 and featured a subterranean country of gnomes (or Earthmen) known as Underland. This realm was home to the Sunless Sea, the land of Bism, the Dark Castle (Home of the Lady of the Green Kirtle and site of the Silver Chair), and the resting place of the sleeping giant - Father Time. Of course, Tolkien does mention Moria much earlier in The Hobbit, but it was not until The Fellowship that he went into great detail about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arasilion View Post
    Well, what is it? Could it be a quote that gave you goosebumps, some descriptive imagery that almost made you think you were there witnessing an event, or what?

I really couldn't say with certainty what mine is. I'll think of something, then later remember something else that tops it, and so on. But if I had to say, it's probably how Tolkien used symbolism (for lack of a better word, but it's NOT allegory). For instance, the only Noldo (Fingolfin) to leave Valinor not out of a heart of rebellion but for the love of his friends who were leaving was the only Elf to do Morgoth any lasting harm and he was also the only Noldo to ever see a Silmaril since their capture ever again.....ironic, considering that the Elves left and spent hundreds of years for the express purpose of reclaiming them, and none but Fingolfin availed to so much as SEE one.

I could go on with the examples, really; but Fingolfin came to mind first.
    I too have the Fingolfin/Morgoth encounter at the top of my list. However, and I am loath to do this, I must correct your statement about Fingolfin being the only Noldo to even see a Silmaril after they were taken by Morgoth. Maedhros and Maglor stole the two Silmarils recovered by the Valar from Morgoth in the War of Wrath. The jewels burned Maedhros and Maglor, and consequently they cast the two Silmarils into a fiery crack and the ocean, respectively.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

21. Re: MOST favorite aspect of the mythology?

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    I too have the Fingolfin/Morgoth encounter at the top of my list. However, and I am loath to do this, I must correct your statement about Fingolfin being the only Noldo to even see a Silmaril after they were taken by Morgoth. Maedhros and Maglor stole the two Silmarils recovered by the Valar from Morgoth in the War of Wrath. The jewels burned Maedhros and Maglor, and consequently they cast the two Silmarils into a fiery crack and the ocean, respectively.

Meh, fair enough; but the Siege of Angband was over and they were only recovered after the Valar intervened. They still didn't manage to catch sight of them during their own battles.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000009263b/01003/signature.png]Arasilion[/charsig]