We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Hobbit Movie Formats Confirmed: 1 Hobbit - 2 Films

Quote Originally Posted by e_h_b View Post
    The problem with them using other materials is that they only have access to the trilogy and the hobbit, and Christopher Tolkien isn't going to let them at ANY other writing anytime soon.
    Agreed, and surely anything beyond Gandalf letting Bilbo and co know that he has to go run an errand and then disappearing would start to encroach on The Silmarillion, especially if they show the White Council meeting.

I'm hoping this movie is able to work in the Dwarves vs. Orcs of Moria war somehow... which would be be awesome to see. Maybe in a flashback.
    [CENTER][COLOR=yellow]
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Fionnuala View Post
    This blows my mind. Jackson... isn't even a good movie maker. He got lucky with LOTR because 1) he was working with exceptional material and 2) he was shrewd enough to surround himself with talented people (not including his writers).

Why don't you trust Del Toro? Would you trust Jackson? Jackson obviously didn't understand his material. It was just a vehicle to success for him. From interviews I have read with Del Toro, he at least seems to get it more and he obviously knows how to tell a story. With Del Toro I at least have some hope that it will be a decent movie. If Jackson were directing, I wouldn't even go see it. Hopefully being a producer doesn't mean he can get his grubby hands all over it.
    Not sure what you have against Jackson, but I was sad to see him not Direct the hobbit movies, just because you don't like him does not make him a bad film creator. That is your OPINION.
    I think PJ did a great job and I can not think of one better to do LOTR without making it bad. But that is my opinion. And as tolkien said a long time ago that Most people liked LOTR some hated it, same goes with the Movies a guess
    [COLOR=Lightgreen] (rank 5) Aralt 89 Hunter[/Color]
    [Color=red] Arklarsh Rank 4 Stalker [/Color]

I don't think it's possible to make a movie about either of these books and receive universal praise. People make connections to beloved books and it can be quite personal and protective in nature. The filmmakers need to respect the spirit and vision that the author had in the initial writing of the tale and do justice to the characters within. If they can do this then the viewer can hopefully watch the results for what they are, a visual interpretation doing homage to the story but not a replacement for it.
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS]"You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81

[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Morthaur View Post

What bugs me most about the movies is the making the characters morally equovocate over all their decisions, does Aragorn want to be king today, who does he love Arwen or Eowen, will Theoden feel old and doddering or will he feel like fighting?. Modern movie audiences may demand this fleshing out of the characters but im of the opinion that the continued attraction of the book is that we trust and admire the kingly and forthright nature of Aragorn, Theoden and Faramir because we seldom see it in the real world. Faramir shows his qualities instantly in the book thats why we respond to him, but for the sake of suspense we have to see him stuff around in the movie and are left luke warm on him.
    well said. i enjoyed the movies, but jackson really butchered some of the characters; aragorn, gimli, boromir, merry, pippen, denethor and faramir were all misrepresented in some way

Quote Originally Posted by newwwwb View Post
    the issue i have with the two movie format is; where to break it off?

at least with lotro being broken into 3 parts, each part is really a story by itself and has a distinct ending. fellowship of the ring ends with the breaking of the fellowship, the towers ends with the end of the conflict between saruman and rohan. i dont really see where you can neatly divide the hobbit into 2 parts.
    I read somewhere online - therefore it must be true - that they are planning to break shortly after the demise of Smaug, or around chapter 14/15.

Quote Originally Posted by MsBean View Post
    I read somewhere online - therefore it must be true - that they are planning to break shortly after the demise of Smaug, or around chapter 14/15.
    There was talk about movie one being "The Hobbit" and movie two, the stuff that happened between it and "The Fellowship of the Ring" but I think they've abandoned that idea. I hope so at any rate. It would require way too much creative license to flesh out the history that Tolkien sketched out in the book's appendices.
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS]"You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81

[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Fionnuala View Post
    This blows my mind. Jackson... isn't even a good movie maker. He got lucky with LOTR because 1) he was working with exceptional material and 2) he was shrewd enough to surround himself with talented people (not including his writers).

Why don't you trust Del Toro? Would you trust Jackson? Jackson obviously didn't understand his material. It was just a vehicle to success for him. From interviews I have read with Del Toro, he at least seems to get it more and he obviously knows how to tell a story. With Del Toro I at least have some hope that it will be a decent movie. If Jackson were directing, I wouldn't even go see it. Hopefully being a producer doesn't mean he can get his grubby hands all over it.
    I couldn't agree more. I have at least some hope, reading on Del Toro's desire to respect much of Tolkien's original material, very unlike Jackson's approach, which was all-too eager to "improve" the story by changing some very arbitrary things around. Problem is he claimed he had to change them to make them fit into a movie-length adaptation, then added a whole lot of made-up stuff to take their place, and then some. Too funny.

I agree, he didn't understand the story nor the characters, and turned the deep mythology of Middle Earth into a badly written D&D action-adventure. "Let's hunt some orc." Gaaaa. All that was lacking was the C-4 and a five o'clock shadow on Legolas. Maybe Del Toro can bring it back to where it needs to be, especially as The Hobbit has something more of a dark fairy-story element to it, and Del Toro seems to be able to handle that realm well.
    [url]www.lotroinfo.com[/url]

5 Brookbank Street, Weedhallow, The Shire, WINDFOLA

Quote Originally Posted by Arasilion View Post
    Return of the King was a big improvement; but there's no reason to make Denethor look like a raving mad man. Sure, it was pulled off great; but it would have been much better if it was revealed that Denethor's use of the Palantir turned him to despair NOT insanity. It would have been a very powerful theme - never giving up hope - but it was ignored.
    I've never really understood why some people are bothered about how Denethor was portrayed in Return of the King. I thought the movies portrayed him just about right, based on my own reading of the book. Denethor was certainly wise and learned in all the years preceding the War of the Ring (though his wife's death and use of the palantir began to change him). But just before and soon after his death, Denethor's actions are several times referred to as "madness," and his mind as being "overthrown." Maybe one could say that Denethor's personality was overacted a bit by John Noble (yet still I thought he was excellent), but my understanding is that the character Denethor did indeed succumb to a form of insanity at the end. He abandoned the defense of his City, tried to kill his son, eventually burned himself alive, all while raving about the futility of trying to alter the outcome of the events then happening. Surely that can be interpreted as the insanity of a raving madman?

As for the new movies, I'm unclear as to how many there will be. Are there going to be a total of three movies (two for The Hobbit, and one "bridge" film)? Or are there only going to be a total of just two (for The Hobbit)?

Rip
    Last edited by Rippentuck; Jun 08 2009 at 05:42 PM.
    [CENTER][URL="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v671/Rippentuck/LotRO/?albumview=slideshow"][FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="4"]The Perilous Travels of Two Hobbits: A Hands-Free Visual Journey[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR="SeaGreen"][URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?p=3573897#post3573897"][FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="4"]From Balin's Tomb to the Bridge of Khazad-dum[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [center][URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=264595"][FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]All Along the River: The War of the Ring on the Water[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][/center]

Ohio, where we never have any adventures or do anything unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by Rippentuck View Post
    As for the new movies, I'm unclear as to how many there will be. Are there going to be a total of three movies (two for The Hobbit, and one "bridge" film)? Or are there only going to be a total of just two (for The Hobbit)?
    There's going to be a total of two. The Hobbit, split into two parts, with some extra material thrown in concerning The White Council and Gandalf's frequent disappearances.
    [COLOR=yellowgreen][B]"Pure creation is like a vacation."[/B][/COLOR]
    [INDENT]- Welby of Landroval[/INDENT]

5 Brookbank Street, Weedhallow, The Shire, WINDFOLA

Quote Originally Posted by Reddhawk View Post
    There's going to be a total of two. The Hobbit, split into two parts, with some extra material thrown in concerning The White Council and Gandalf's frequent disappearances.
    Okay thanks, that's what I had thought. Kin members had asked about this last night and I had told them it was now only two movies, but after reading TheOneRing.net's FAQ, I had begun to wonder.

Rip
    [CENTER][URL="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v671/Rippentuck/LotRO/?albumview=slideshow"][FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="4"]The Perilous Travels of Two Hobbits: A Hands-Free Visual Journey[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR="SeaGreen"][URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?p=3573897#post3573897"][FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="4"]From Balin's Tomb to the Bridge of Khazad-dum[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [center][URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=264595"][FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]All Along the River: The War of the Ring on the Water[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][/center]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2