We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

"Adult" kin advertising

I am just wondering why this is so prevalent lately, at least on the Arkenstone server.

I ma especially curious about the one advertising for "singles and couples" 21+

makes it sound like they are looking for a swapping circle. either that or x-rated chat and "social interaction"

I love this game, I am, I admit younger, not so young that I couldnt get into these places if I wanted, but really, if you are a Kin advertising, and you have rules, why advertise for a certain age? weed them out during the application process.. dont sound like a dating service because personally... make you look like idiots.. or perverts.

Edit: just for clarification, I am not rehashing the age question. this is about the advertising for singles and couples. the age thing has been done into the ground in many a thread and doesnt need to be redone here. Icould care less if it said 55+, what seemed off was the looking for couples etc combined with the age thing....
    Last edited by ileria; Apr 18 2009 at 01:08 PM.

Re: "Adult" kin advertising

Quote Originally Posted by ileria View Post
    I am just wondering why this is so prevalent lately, at least on the Arkenstone server.

makes it sound like they are looking for a swapping circle. either that or x-rated chat and "social interaction"

I love this game, I am, I admit younger, not so young that I couldnt get into these places if I wanted, but really, if you are a Kin advertising, and you have rules, why advertise for a certain age? weed them out during the application process.. dont sound like a dating service because personally... make you look like idiots.. or perverts.
    I think the purpose is to save time BEFORE the application process. And I think the main reason for it is that there are lots of younger players who don't share the same mindset as older players. I know a few myself. They never want to help out other people but expect everyone to drop everything for them, that kind of thing. That is certainly a generalization that doesn't apply to everyone but I guess the people who advertise that for those kins have run into similar things enough to not want to mess with it. Just guessing.

That makes me wonder just exactly what kind of "Roleplaying" they're into, especially with the singles and couples line ...or maybe they've played wow and seen too many "half-nekkid elf chick looking to cyber for gold!" It kind of makes me chuckle thinking they might attract the wrong kind of attention

My kin is mostly adults; off-color jokes and references to intoxicants are abound in kin chat and vent. I hope that's the kind of atmosphere those posters are looking for, not where my perverted mind goes
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000010f3c4/01007/signature.png]Daschande[/charsig]

Chanus - "MMO forums are mostly for whining, with the occasional sprinkle of an actually rational and intelligent poster offering a decent suggestion."

its all swingers..
    Amestoplease, Rk
    Ambusher, Warg

Quote Originally Posted by Daschande View Post
    That makes me wonder just exactly what kind of "Roleplaying" they're into, especially with the singles and couples line ...or maybe they've played wow and seen too many "half-nekkid elf chick looking to cyber for gold!" It kind of makes me chuckle thinking they might attract the wrong kind of attention

My kin is mostly adults; off-color jokes and references to intoxicants are abound in kin chat and vent. I hope that's the kind of atmosphere those posters are looking for, not where my perverted mind goes
    well, I doubt that jokes and intoxicants require advertising for "singles and couples"

I know some kins like to promote that the older people can speak without fear of "corrupting" anyone, yet the same people point out how much younger people swear etc and already ARE corrupted. so which is it?

personally, I think advertising for singles and couples, and over 21, is not some nice cozy kin just looking to talk about drinking.

as someone said.. swingers... and using the game for purposes not exactly good for its reputation

if you are a Kin advertising, and you have rules, why advertise for a certain age? weed them out during the application process.
    That is what they're doing--consider it a pre-screening. "Like" generally prefers to play with "like." They're likely going for a playerbase that would be understanding that someone has to get up at 6 am M-F for work, has kids, significant others etc. The age criteria just lets them weed out a subset of people without having to have them go through the trouble of posting an application.

I do agree the phrasing sounds weird. If I were writing the posting I would have left it as "21 yrs+ only, please."

Quote Originally Posted by catofnine View Post
    That is what they're doing--consider it a pre-screening. "Like" generally prefers to play with "like." They're likely going for a playerbase that would be understanding that someone has to get up at 6 am M-F for work, has kids, significant others etc. The age criteria just lets them weed out a subset of people without having to have them go through the trouble of posting an application.

I do agree the phrasing sounds weird. If I were writing the posting I would have left it as "21 yrs+ only, please."
    sorry but asking for singles and couples over 21 years of age, which is legal in all the US states sounds like ulterior motives to me.... not just some age screening process.

the only thing they DIDNT ask for were single females and couples 21+

How I see it, as has bee posted above, it's about a mindset and maturity factor. While throwing in "singles and couples" is a bit odd, it's not uncommon to see Kins looking for 18+ or 21+ year old players, simply for the maturity factor.

Though I've come across 15 year olds that act quite mature, and I've come across people in their mid 20s that act like adolescents.
    [CENTER][SIZE=1][URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/elendilmir/ryodor/"][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000f8fb4/01000/signature.png]Ryodor[/charsig][/URL]
    [/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=Black][COLOR=White][URL="http://my.lotro.com/freestyle270/"]MyLotro[/URL] / [/COLOR][URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/elendilmir/ryothir/"][COLOR=Yellow]Ryothir Helegohtar (CHN)[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=White] / [/SIZE][URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/elendilmir/dordon/"]Dordon McShanksAlot (BRG)[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=White] / [/color][/SIZE][URL="http://theteam.guildlaunch.com"][SIZE=1][COLOR=MediumTurquoise]The Team, Elendilmir[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

sorry but asking for singles and couples over 21 years of age, which is legal in all the US states sounds like ulterior motives to me.... not just some age screening process.

It may sound like it to you, but as other's are trying to point out, it probably isn't what you think it is.

But I'm curious....even if it was some sort of swingers club, which I doubt it is, what does it matter to you what other people do?

Quote Originally Posted by Raath View Post
    It may sound like it to you, but as other's are trying to point out, it probably isn't what you think it is.

But I'm curious....even if it was some sort of swingers club, which I doubt it is, what does it matter to you what other people do?
    *shrugs* I guess I just thought that the game wouldnt be used for that. I suppose from a male perspective this kind of thing is okay.

thank you for pointing that out ^^

*shrugs* I guess I just thought that the game wouldnt be used for that. I suppose from a male perspective this kind of thing is okay.

thank you for pointing that out ^^
    You're right, the game probably isn't being used for that, as has been posted already.

My point is this: There are already kinships based on one's personal religious beliefs in game, there are kinships based on one's sexual preference in game. If there was nothing illegal going on, Turbine allowed it, and most importantly.....it doesn't effect you......then it shouldn't matter what the kinship is based around, imho.

Also, nowhere in my post do I say whether or not I personally approve of such things.
    Last edited by Raath; Apr 18 2009 at 03:57 AM.

I have always welcomed kids into my guilds. Kids can be some of the absolutely best gamers out there. In addition they are fun and fearless. They dont take it all as seriously as a lot of adults I know. They are more willing to do daring things that have a high likelyhood of ending in death or other horrible outcomes. The truth be told, as a guild leader of a few decades, the major issues Ive had in guild have 100% been caused/perpetuated by so called adults.

I however do NOT like kids in real life lol. Im past my "raising kids" ages and Im done with them. They cramp my style and hey, they cut into my gaming time!

M
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000012921e/01001/signature.png]Merryll[/charsig]

in the darkest depths of Mordor, meeting a girl so fair....

Sigh.... What's next? Buggery between hobbits and dwarves? Civil unions between men and elf-women?

Oh, wait....

Doubt there's swinging in LotRO. Second Life is built for that.

They advertise for 21+ because they only want mature players in their kinship. Simple as that. If I weren't in a Kinship consisting of only people that know each other in real life, I'd probably only join a kinship advertising for 21+.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleSLinux View Post
    They advertise for 21+ because they only want mature players in their kinship. Simple as that. If I weren't in a Kinship consisting of only people that know each other in real life, I'd probably only join a kinship advertising for 21+.
    The kin I'm in is mostly responsible people with lives and jobs and families, responsibilities, etc.. Point well taken... but
    Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle270 View Post
    I've come across 15 year olds that act quite mature, and I've come across people in their mid 20s that act like adolescents.
    Both are very valid points but I would add "mid (ANY)'s" instead of "mid 20's" just for the sake of accuracy (and I can be equally immature when the opportunity arises); need I say more?
    Last edited by Daschande; Apr 18 2009 at 05:39 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000010f3c4/01007/signature.png]Daschande[/charsig]

Chanus - "MMO forums are mostly for whining, with the occasional sprinkle of an actually rational and intelligent poster offering a decent suggestion."

While the advertising might have piqued your curiosity there isn't really anything you can do about it. I doubt seriously that there is anything really going on here other than bad wording choice for advertising.

What it really sounds like you are getting at is something like 'what can I do about this guild if I think they are doing something fishy'. Well not a lot other than avoid them unless you think they are breaking the TOS in some way.

They might just be trying to build a kin of duo's who want to play with folks who understand when they have to log to take care of the kid who just woke up and simply worded their advertising a little funky.

My husband and I frequently do the sorry guys need to check on the kidling thing and they may simply be looking for folks like themselves.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000008a315/01004/signature.png]Kyarra[/charsig]

In addition to:
    Cirra Ceemstress, 72 Hobbit Hunter
    Cyrawyn, 75 Woman Captain
    Keharra Thistleknott, 38 Hobbit Warden
    Kyari, 43 Elf Runekeeper
    Kyradriel, 37 Elf Loremaster
    Kyrafern, 29 Woman Champion
    Kyre Thistleknott, 29 Hobbit Burglar
    Keralin, 28 Hobbit Guardian

6 Fairwood Lane, Ael-en-Gwelu neighborhood, Falathlorn

I haven't read the replies because I wanted to state my opinion since you think adults looking to play the game with other adults are perverts and idiots and can't get a real date.

You are VERY wrong. Your opinion is EXACTLY what adults are avoiding....the narrow-minded and often obnoxious attitudes of the "young". We adults desire a no B.S. kin, one in which we can say what we want, when we want it, and not have to worry about upsetting or offending some young child with virgin eyes, and/or their parents if they happen to see what is said and consider it offensive.

Adult conversations vary, but most of them have nothing to do with sex, perversion, dating, etc. They just may not be suitable for young eyes.

Also, trying to group with young kids who have the attention span of a flea is a real struggle for a lot of us adults. I know I don't tolerate children and their idiosyncrasies very well, not even my own children, so I know I can only take so much before I have to get away and do something else. I don't need that constant barrage of garbage in kin chat.

So, next time you see someone advertising for the members to be of a certain age or older, don't take offense, show some understanding and respect for your elders. Maybe then you can be included in groups and kins instead of being shown the door by laying to bear your obvious inability to control childish impulses.

That is all.

And please, don't whine about this post being harsh....I speak plainly and the truth. Some people just can't deal with the truth smacking them in the face.
    [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000000affe8/signature.png]Larriel[/charsig]
    Lifetime Member since November 2007
    [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Lara69690 View Post
    I haven't read the replies because I wanted to state my opinion since you think adults looking to play the game with other adults are perverts and idiots and can't get a real date.

You are VERY wrong. Your opinion is EXACTLY what adults are avoiding....the narrow-minded and often obnoxious attitudes of the "young". We adults desire a no B.S. kin, one in which we can say what we want, when we want it, and not have to worry about upsetting or offending some young child with virgin eyes, and/or their parents if they happen to see what is said and consider it offensive.

So, next time you see someone advertising for the members to be of a certain age or older, don't take offense, show some understanding and respect for your elders. Maybe then you can be included in groups and kins instead of being shown the door by laying to bear your obvious inability to control childish impulses.

That is all.

And please, don't whine about this post being harsh....I speak plainly and the truth. Some people just can't deal with the truth smacking them in the face.
    actually, I could really care less about the whole age thing. and no real need to zero in on that since there have been plenty of posts and threads about that already.

I should really have written it better, since the 'singles and couples' thing was what piqued my interest. I really dont see the point in why that would have to be advertised as what they are looking for at all.

I have to laugh however at some of the very obviously incorrectly drawn conclusions made by several of the posters.

as for whining, no real interest in that since its your opinion, and one of us here is adult enough to know that you are entitled to one.

lol @ this thread.
    Landroval - The Council of the Secret Fire Friendly, Casual, Mature, and always seeking more!
    Musings on LOTRO and other games: www.killtenrats.com

This was pretty common in WoW too. A lot of it (if not most of it) has to do with the immature actions of some younger players. While certainly by no means a steadfast rule, most people that are a bit older are more respectful of their kinmates, and will stick with something through the good and bad, while younger players may not.

When my wife and I ran a WoW guild we tried to avoid younger players after being burned by some a few times. These teens and pre-teens would take the mindset that the guild was there to serve them, to help them at a moment's notice to get what THEY wanted, but generally provided nothing in return except immature, uninformed chat and whining. They were also notorious for riding on the coat-tails of others in instances and raids to get the "phat l00tz" and then when they had no more use for the guild, drop and move on to another to wash, rinse and repeat. Also many times you'd see them bail on groups because "My Mom says I have to log off" only to see them 10 minutes later in town trying to peddle their ill-gotten loot.

While not all younger people are this way, at least in my experience in an online world it is this way more often than not, and many would prefer not to subject themselves to such behavior.
    [COLOR=cornflowerblue][/COLOR]

Here is a thought on the 'singles and couples' part that seems to be what the OP thought was a bit off. Perhaps they were just trying to say that all over 21 were welcome. You are either a single or part of a couple, I can't think of another option so I would assume that they were trying to say that they did not just want singles or couples that both were welcome.

I know that in my linkshell on FFXI that most of us are couples but we do have some singles in the group too. If someone new came in and read that most of us are paired up, it might seem like we don't welcome people if they are not in a relationship and that is not the case.

Just thought I would give my thought on it. And I agree that the wording was a poor choice, but they may have more of one then the other and thought they were being clear that the kin was not limited.
    [LEFT][COLOR=LightBlue] ~[/COLOR][SIZE=3][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Landroval[/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=LightBlue]~[/COLOR][COLOR=LightBlue]The Waywatchers of Cardolan [/COLOR][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Galadhwen[/COLOR][COLOR=PaleTurquoise], The Palantiri[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Aster [/COLOR][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Celebmir[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Lauremire[/COLOR]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][COLOR=Orange][SIZE=2]Also Immalitta Teapot and Laestelegerin And My Awesome Friends of Vilya[/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/LEFT]

Although I have grouped with the younger crowd at times in my MMO career, I prefer to group with adults. Although I try to not use profanity, there are times when it happens. I prefer not to have to worry about young ears hearing profanity or adult topics. When I get my gaming time in, it is usually when my kiddos are asleep. I really don't want to spend my later gaming hours with the young ones. I don't mind the occasional kid in a guild/kin messing around. But when they are part of a group/raid and it is obvious you are dealing with a young child, it is really annoying.

I remember awhile back in EQ2, had a young one invited to a raid. The father was the raid leader. Vent was filled with smack talk from this kid the entire raid. He would get called away from the keyboard, go afk, the raid would have to go back for him or wait for him. Or he would come back and run into a room of mobs. Must of been 10-11 years old. People were polite and didn't say anything but it sort of made me hate the entire experience. The father also spent twice as long explaining the raid encounter to the kid. Guess he was getting in his father/son bonding time.

Don't mean to sound so anti kid but when the really young ones get into an adult group/raid, etc, it can be really, really annoying. I prefer adult guilds/kins though although won't make a fuss if a younger family member is playing.

Some kins are more couple based, by stating "singles and couples" they've pretty much included everyone. I really don't think it has anything to do with swingers, just a wording use to clarify that they are not couples only, nor singles only.

Really, I wouldn't have thought "swingers" if I'd seen that advertisement, and I am a pervert.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000001c6501/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

[COLOR=#ffd700][B]Daklyta :: Sadistica :: Eanna :: Zyla[/B][/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]