We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Hunting Gollum

Hunting Gollum

I was re-reading the other day the index from LotR book and i saw something.

At some point after Gollum escaped from Mirkwood he went to Moria but he failed to find the West Door.

How come we are able to hunt him in Trollshaws??
    I'm a Beast
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000107e77/01003/signature.png]Premac[/charsig]

Re: Hunting Gollum

Never thought of that.

From what I can remember Gollum was hanging out near the west gate (inside) when the fellowship entered, and he followed them from there.

The way was then blocked so he would not have been able to use it.

As for the storyline progression in the game - when we hunt Gollum in the 'Shaws, the Fellowship has not yet left Rivendell.

O BEREPHON! Can you please tell us about this?
    Helm's Deep Devamp killed my long time toons. Currently bouncing around between post-HD newbie alts (a warden and champ) and other games.
    Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
    http://cruciblegaming.com

When I first started playing, that threw me off a bit too. I'm purist and didn't like the departure from the books.
    Pharos - Guardian | Akunazar - Burglar | Isilthalion - Minstrel
    "Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn’ Ambar-metta!"

Gollum reached the West-gate, but he actually didn't know the action of the doors. To him they would seem huge and immovable. In any case, being so far away from food source (Orcs were mostly in the East-end of Moria), he had become weak and desperate, so even if he had known about the doors he still could not have thrust them open.

In 'Unfinished Tales' there's a passage of Gollum from the time we was released by Sauron, to his escape from Mirkwood into Moria. We're told at the very end, after learning of his arrival at the West-gate;

"It was thus a piece of singular good fortune for Gollum that the Nine Walkers arrived when they did".

Other than that, I can't really answer your question. Just looks like a small mistake on Turbine's part. Still would like to see a respone from Berephon though, just to clear it up!

Wow, you guys are serious Tolkien fans. I never would have noticed that.

Is it maybe that they don't have the rights to the unfinished tales book, and the main trilogy doesn't note where he is prior to being seen in Moria with the Fellowship?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0120300000014d38a/01001/signature.png]Dwalic[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowLen View Post

Is it maybe that they don't have the rights to the unfinished tales book, and the main trilogy doesn't note where he is prior to being seen in Moria with the Fellowship?
    It does say at the Index of LotR book that Gollum could not find the way out at the West Gate.

When i will get home i will post the whole quote from the book
    I'm a Beast
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000107e77/01003/signature.png]Premac[/charsig]

I believe it was already explained around the time of the Tal Bruinen addition that basically Gollum is a devious, sneaky little fellow who has a knack for surviving. I think he supposedly found another exit and escaped.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

Quote Originally Posted by auximenes View Post
    I believe it was already explained around the time of the Tal Bruinen addition that basically Gollum is a devious, sneaky little fellow who has a knack for surviving. I think he supposedly found another exit and escaped.
    From what I have been able to find, Gollum was trapped inside Moria and did not exit until after the Fellowship entered, and then he followed them to the other exit and out.

As mentioned above by hmmokthen, he made it to the West gate, and either did not try, or could not get it to open.
    Helm's Deep Devamp killed my long time toons. Currently bouncing around between post-HD newbie alts (a warden and champ) and other games.
    Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
    http://cruciblegaming.com

What is the approximate date for the Tal Bruinen quests? They don't have a direct crossover with the LoTR main storyline that I've noticed--the only Trollshaws ones that do are up with Elrond's sons.
    [COLOR=#800000]Various Hobbits, Thwilda the dwarf lass, and Gnersk, Stalker[/COLOR]

Off topic a little but this thread might be of interest to those reading this particular part of the forums

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=264476
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS]"You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81

[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowLen View Post

That's actually true, I believe Turbine only has rights to the main trilogy. Still, the OP makes a valid point.
    [B]Magnarr [/B] - Lvl 85 Champion
    Leader, United Races (Vilya server)
    Cofounder and Leader, Vilya Alliance coalition of kinships
    [url]www.UnitedRaces.net[/url] [url]www.VilyaAlliance.com[/url]