We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Laptop for lotro

Hi does anyone know a really good laptop that can run lotro on high quality?
    ANYBODY PLZZZZ
    Last edited by Daedra399; Apr 05 2009 at 01:54 AM.

Re: Laptop for lotro

www.newegg.com

Start here

And for high quality start with 800$ and up

I got this one and it runs LOTRO on high settings at a good framerate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...546&Tpk=as6530
    Last edited by quikgamer; Apr 05 2009 at 04:39 AM.

Well what's your budget?

Two years ago, I got a Clevo m570u for about $3000 after S/H.
    Most important about the specific configuration I chose is that I had a WUXGA screen with a resolution of 1920x1200 (a 24" screen squeezed into a 17" frame).
    It was running with a Nvidia 7950GTX (512mb video ram) and a Intel T7400 CPU.

Granted I could play LOTRO in Ultra settings and get 40+ fps (excluding when I was raiding), it really isn't a laptop for school/battery/whatnot.
    Being a 9 pound, 17", loud notebook with a low battery life, it was really just to be a desktop replacement.

With the economy tanking, and new computer parts coming out constantly, a similar system wouldn't cost as much, but are you looking for a small laptop that can game decently? Or do you want to go for the top-of-the line?
    Budget kind of defines what is available to you

well my budget would be $5000 lower.

And i was thinking is alienware compare with factor gaming and also dell studio XPS 16 laptop? which one of those would play lotro in high or ultra high?

I can definitely recommend the XPS line from Dell, but not the 16" version due to its fairy average gfx card, comparitive to the 17" XPS M1730.

The M1730's come with either dual 8800GTX's, or dual 9800GTX's in SLI. The jury is still out as to whether the cost difference is worth going to the 9800 model for only marginal improvement over the 8880's. I have the 8800 model and run ultra high, 1920x1200 no problems.

Other alternatives - the newer version of the Clevo m570u or the Asus G71GX, both of which are coming with a single GTX280M video card. Either would be very sweet. Alienware in NZ is so ridiculously overpriced as to be a joke.

Gaming laptops are certainly not cheap, but mine allows me to play in the living room and be with my significant other rather than shut in my office. Can't put a price on that.
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=silver][SIZE=1][B]Jharak [/B](65 Hnt)[B] Khandir [/B](87 Grd) [B]Bhrandir [/B](68 LM) [B]Bharahir [/B](100 Wdn)[B]

Brandywine[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

how about the studio XPS tm 13? or 16? because 17 is abit out of my budget and sorry my budget ws RM5000 lower not dollars

Ah, my bad... I would think the XPS 16" should be perfectly ok with the Radeon 3670 at 1366x768 res.

If you live near a Clevo, Asus, or MSI reseller, I would recommend checking them out too. Whilst I rate Dell's XPS service very highly, you can't beat being able to speak with the dude\dudette that built your laptop if you have problems down the road.
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=silver][SIZE=1][B]Jharak [/B](65 Hnt)[B] Khandir [/B](87 Grd) [B]Bhrandir [/B](68 LM) [B]Bharahir [/B](100 Wdn)[B]

I would check out Sager, they make pretty nice laptops.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320c00000000e8b6/01003/signature.png]Dandis[/charsig]

ok someone told me that the Clevo D901C compare to the XPS 17 was a bit more better for gaming is that true?

also that the XPS 17 has multiple problems with it?

PS: does the Dell XPS M1730 come in windows xp either then windows vista?
    Last edited by Daedra399; Apr 06 2009 at 02:22 AM.

I was running the game today on my Dell M90 Precision in high quality at 1900x1200. That is, when the servers weren't going ker-flooey.

so is the XPS 13 compare to the XPS 16 which one has better gaming qualities?

actually i have made my choice i am going to get the

Dell Studio XPS 16 Laptop

Blending power with elegance, the Studio XPSTM 16 is designed to deliver the ultimate multimedia laptop experience.

Premium design with genuine leather accents, anodized aluminum, edge-to-edge display and backlit keyboard
    16" ultrawide 16:9 aspect ratio with up to 1080p HD support & optional RGB-LED for brighter and more vivid colors
    The latest Centrino® 2 platform for blazing fast performance, amazing battery life and go anywhere wireless connectivity
    Premium ATI 512MB graphics delivers incredibly lifelike videos, movies and gaming

heres the website
    http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/prod...s1&l=en&s=dhs\

you think i made good choice and also would it run lotro on high quality?

Quote Originally Posted by Killien View Post
    Ah, my bad... I would think the XPS 16" should be perfectly ok with the Radeon 3670 at 1366x768 res.

If you live near a Clevo, Asus, or MSI reseller, I would recommend checking them out too. Whilst I rate Dell's XPS service very highly, you can't beat being able to speak with the dude\dudette that built your laptop if you have problems down the road.
    No, not really, I have similar card on my lappy .

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra399 View Post
    actually i have made my choice i am going to get the

Dell Studio XPS 16 Laptop

Blending power with elegance, the Studio XPSTM 16 is designed to deliver the ultimate multimedia laptop experience.

Premium design with genuine leather accents, anodized aluminum, edge-to-edge display and backlit keyboard
    16" ultrawide 16:9 aspect ratio with up to 1080p HD support & optional RGB-LED for brighter and more vivid colors
    The latest Centrino® 2 platform for blazing fast performance, amazing battery life and go anywhere wireless connectivity
    Premium ATI 512MB graphics delivers incredibly lifelike videos, movies and gaming

heres the website
    http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/prod...s1&l=en&s=dhs\

you think i made good choice and also would it run lotro on high quality?

The link is broken, but I am afraid I would have to go against it. The thing about gaming is that the higher resolution the MORE powerful your video card has to be. That laptop is 1080p and has 512mb ATI card. Even if its 3670, it will chug at lower FPS on full 1080p resolution. Trying to scale it down won't help any as the screen is small as is and you will have pixelated image as most LCD"s have horrible time trying to display non-native resolution.

Right now, I'm running LotRO on a $450 laptop from Best Buy that I bought last August, perhaps, I'm not quite sure when I bought it but it was sometime around the beginning of the semester. I have 3 G RAM, an nVidia 8k series graphics card and a nice processor. Best Buy. Go there every week, familiarize yourself with what they have and what they offer. Learn what specs are important (RAM) and what isn't (integrated camera). If you really need a camera, buy a $20 USB one and put it in your carrying case, instead of spending an extra $100 or $200 for one that's part of the laptop itself. Every so often Best Buy has sales. I highly recommend that you take advantage of them.

I believe you can get a good model for around $500. Of course, this is over in CA, I'm not sure what prices are like in other states (probably lower). Go somewhere local, they can give you a better deal than you can probably get from the big online behemoths. The local stores reward you with going in with lower prices, because chances are you'll buy something else while you're inside there as well (I also bought a carrying case and a couple adapters that I'd been planning on buying from Radio Shack but picked up from Best Buy while I was in there).

This is my model: http://review.zdnet.com/product/lapt...115nr/33088550 As a side note, the review is correct in that my battery life is only about an hour or so. But anywhere I can get WiFi, there's always a place where I can plug in for power, so it hasn't bothered me yet.
    Last edited by Banaticus; Apr 06 2009 at 05:31 AM.
    As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he joined the Smaug The Dragon raid. Then he asked for leadership, looted the chest, assigned himself the 1st age Arkenstone and mailed it to an alt (Bilbo's a VIP so can mail from anywhere). They did some PvMP and an Epic Battle, then he apologized and gave the Arkenstone back. He kept the pony.

I've got a Dell XPS M1730 at work, but I recently switched back to a desktop for daily use. The XPS is a fine machine for gaming and runs LOTRO beautifully but I wouldn't really call it a laptop - it's really a desktop replacement. It's not something you're going to want to be trucking around all the time because of the weight.

If you're going to mostly leave it at home and only occasionally bring it somewhere, it's great. If you're small-framed and need portability, the weight will become a huge factor. I didn't think it would be that bad - I'm small but pretty strong - but put the laptop, power brick, and extra batteries into the backpack (great lumbar support, btw) and weigh the whole thing and you've got a whopping 25 pounds even before you start to add anything else into the bag. I know, I weighed it. The laptop itself is 12-13lbs and the power brick is a few more; and you have to carry the brick because you're just not going to get a lot of time out of one battery.

Again, really nice machine with a ton of bells and whistles, and LOTRO's gorgeous on it, but be aware of the weight factor, which isn't unique to the M1730 - most high-end gaming laptops tend to be beastly. My SO's Asus gaming laptop isn't quite as massive but still weighs a ton. That said, some of the XPS's bells and whistles are awesome for a geek like me, like the backlit keyboard, being able to customize the LED colors, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Patience View Post
    I've got a Dell XPS M1730 at work, but I recently switched back to a desktop for daily use. The XPS is a fine machine for gaming and runs LOTRO beautifully but I wouldn't really call it a laptop - it's really a desktop replacement. It's not something you're going to want to be trucking around all the time because of the weight.

If you're going to mostly leave it at home and only occasionally bring it somewhere, it's great. If you're small-framed and need portability, the weight will become a huge factor. I didn't think it would be that bad - I'm small but pretty strong - but put the laptop, power brick, and extra batteries into the backpack (great lumbar support, btw) and weigh the whole thing and you've got a whopping 25 pounds even before you start to add anything else into the bag. I know, I weighed it. The laptop itself is 12-13lbs and the power brick is a few more; and you have to carry the brick because you're just not going to get a lot of time out of one battery.

Again, really nice machine with a ton of bells and whistles, and LOTRO's gorgeous on it, but be aware of the weight factor, which isn't unique to the M1730 - most high-end gaming laptops tend to be beastly. My SO's Asus gaming laptop isn't quite as massive but still weighs a ton. That said, some of the XPS's bells and whistles are awesome for a geek like me, like the backlit keyboard, being able to customize the LED colors, etc.
    Thats another thing, Patience is right!

Also keep in mind that laptops are designed to be portable. They do not have good cooling, thus parts get hotter. Limited space is also a factor and means alot. Every component has to be shrunk and made to run cooler, desktop equivalent parts would prove to be more powerful and would cost less. If you are looking for a machine to use at home, go with a desktop for sure. You are going to dish out hundreds more for laptop parts.

I just bought this one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218041995463

I am playing it on high right now with no problems. I have a feeling I will need to switch to medium when I do anything too graphically intensive, but I can run through the GB with a 6 man group and barely hit any lag on high. It's really amazing and more than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Trobon View Post
    I just bought this one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218041995463

I am playing it on high right now with no problems. I have a feeling I will need to switch to medium when I do anything too graphically intensive, but I can run through the GB with a 6 man group and barely hit any lag on high. It's really amazing and more than I expected.
    I thought you had better budget? Sorry to tell you but Celeron's blow for anything intensive and integrated video card really blows .

ok i'm not going to play games like fallout3 or farcry etc i am going to be using XPS 16 laptop for other stuff and also to play mmorpg's like lotro.

so would laptop i chose would run lotro on high resolution quality?
    Last edited by Daedra399; Apr 06 2009 at 06:14 AM.

ok someone told me that the Clevo D901C compare to the XPS 17 was a bit more better for gaming is that true?

also that the XPS 17 has multiple problems with it?

PS: does the Dell XPS M1730 come in windows xp either then windows vista?
    Firstly, those two can be spec'd in a very similar fashion. Both with SLI, both with dual hard drives in RAID. Iirc, the 901c can actually house 3 drives but that's getting a little silly, even for me.

The problems with the 1730 you may have heard about was the model that had dual 8700GT cards. No such problems with the 8800GTX model.

I don't think Dell sell systems with XP anymore, but you can certainly reinstall it. The 1730's hardware will run perfectly fine with XP.

Quote Originally Posted by igromov View Post
    Thats another thing, Patience is right!

Also keep in mind that laptops are designed to be portable. They do not have good cooling, thus parts get hotter. Limited space is also a factor and means alot. Every component has to be shrunk and made to run cooler, desktop equivalent parts would prove to be more powerful and would cost less. If you are looking for a machine to use at home, go with a desktop for sure. You are going to dish out hundreds more for laptop parts.
    Definitely go with a desktop if portability is not a concern. Personally I have no problems lugging my 1730 around. As I said, it allows me to play in the living room anytime without taking up too much room, and then take it with me every holiday so I can still play LoTRO.

Serious amounts of portable grunt has its price in both cost and weight for sure, but put simply the benefit is having portable nirvana (depending how seriously you take your gaming )

ok i'm not going to play games like fallout3 or farcry etc i am using for other stuff and also to play mmorpg's like lotro.

so is the i chose would run lotro on high resolution quality?
    Again, if you can find a reseller with Clevo, Sager (thx dan98), MSI or Asus, you'll be able to try instore before you buy.

Smile Re: Laptop for lotro

ok thnx guys i think i am going to take the XPS 16 laptop as long as it can play good mmorpg like lotro and also for web surfing etc.

oh i forgot something so is it a yes or no that the XPS 16 laptop will run lotro on high resolution quality?

I play on a DELL XPS M1530 which runs the game on High just fine (about 30-40fps give or take).

This is the only laptop you will need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLbv6QYcA

(not a rickroll)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast