We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

The Children of Hurin or Lord of the Rings?

Which one did you like better?

Two Towers was all time favorite book until Children of Hurin. CoH blew TTT outta teh water. I peed a little on the last chapter

2. Re: The Children of Hurin or Lord of the Rings?

I'll take a trilogy over just one book. A more fair comparison would be: what's your favorite setting?

That's a lot harder to answer; but I still lean towards LOTR. CoH still rocks my socks.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000009263b/01003/signature.png]Arasilion[/charsig]

Re: The Children of Hurin or Lord of the Rings?

Quote Originally Posted by Arasilion View Post
    I'll take a trilogy over just one book. A more fair comparison would be: what's your favorite setting?

That's a lot harder to answer; but I still lean towards LOTR. CoH still rocks my socks.
    I was left walking into doors and randomly crying for days after reading CoH... it was just too quick...

Quote Originally Posted by jakub909 View Post
    I peed a little on the last chapter
    Sad to treat good Tolkien that way. If you just have to do it, may I at least point you in the direction of the works of Robert Jordan or Terry Brooks?

[CENTER][I][FONT=Garamond]* * *
    [/FONT][/I][FONT=Palatino Linotype]"From without the World, though all things may be forethought in music or foreshown in vision from afar, to those who enter verily into Eä each in its time shall be met at unawares as something new and unforetold."[/FONT]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by BIGeyedBUG View Post
    Sad to treat good Tolkien that way. If you just have to do it, may I at least point you in the direction of the works of Robert Jordan or Terry Brooks?

I almost peed reading this response. Thanks!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000000f6847/signature.png]Balawise[/charsig]
    Baladin - 65 Dwarf Rune-keeper, Balabo - 65 Hobbit Burglar, Balaroc - 62 Hobbit Guardian, Baladonna - 54 Hobbit Hunter, Balagrim - 41 Dwarf Champion

Tough choice both are excellent books - I'd have to go with The Lord of the Rings mostly because, although the ending has it's bittersweet moments, a number of things did go right and it's fun to imagine yourself like a happy hobbit or awesome leader like Aragorn. Children of Hurin is like Hamlet or a Greek tragedy. Except for a dead dragon, nothing went right in the end and you wouldn't want to be anyone in that book. Still - a decent job by Christopher Tolkien to piece together all the various bits and pieces into a coherent whole.
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS]"You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81

[/FONT]

7. Re: The Children of Hurin or Lord of the Rings?

Quote Originally Posted by tuor66 View Post
    Tough choice both are excellent books - I'd have to go with The Lord of the Rings mostly because, although the ending has it's bittersweet moments, a number of things did go right and it's fun to imagine yourself like a happy hobbit or awesome leader like Aragorn. Children of Hurin is like Hamlet or a Greek tragedy. Except for a dead dragon, nothing went right in the end and you wouldn't want to be anyone in that book. Still - a decent job by Christopher Tolkien to piece together all the various bits and pieces into a coherent whole.
    In fairness to Turin, the tragedy has a silver lining. He's going to be the one to deal the killing blow to Morgoth.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000009263b/01003/signature.png]Arasilion[/charsig]

I lean towards CoH for setting, but LotR for content.

CoH was far more expansive, the journies were bigger and more action packed, but it was incredibly vague save for things that were major locations/people.

LotR seems more like a fading glory, while CoH is still fighting for more.
    [COLOR="Red"][I][CENTER]Dwoir - 65 - Guardian
    Halfric - 65 - Warden
    Swifty and Hammo - Arkenstone
    [/CENTER][/I][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Arasilion View Post
    In fairness to Turin, the tragedy has a silver lining. He's going to be the one to deal the killing blow to Morgoth.
    Hopefully Hurin can get a shot or two in first.
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS]"You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81

[/FONT]

I think it's apples to bananas, just like comparing the Battle of Pelennor to the Battle of Sudden Flame or something. They're both great reads, objectively, but putting them in the context of their respective Ages and points in the grand history of Middle-earth gives anything in the First or Second Age a huge advantage over the Third Age. In the Third Age the 'magic' of the world is waning; the dwarves have lost their great homes, the elves are sailing West, and Men are losing their greatness to become the mere humans we know today.

But for sheer personal preference, I'll always love The Lord of the Rings more because of that sheer element of hope as represented by the hobbits. It's grander, if not in scope than in spirit. I love a good tragedy but, overall, I like LotR more.
    [center][b][color=gray]Dedoric[/color] || [color=royalblue]Rocso[/color][/b] of [url=http://guild-sanctuary.com/lotro]Sanctuary[/url]
    [size=1][[url=http://lotroplayers.com]LOTROPlayers[/url]]
    [[url=http://greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com]The Grey Company Podcast[/url]]
    [[url=http://masteroflore.wordpress.com]Master of Lore blog[/url]][/size]
    [/center]

Children of Hurin was written at a level of detail somewhere between "The Silmarillion" and "The Lord of the Rings".
    The Silmarillion is VAST, but does not go into the minute details like a true novel as Lord of the Rings is.
    Same with Children of Hurin, albiet at a lvel of detail higher than Silmarillion but lower than Lord of the Rings.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/02204000000100b68/01008/signature.png]Vinarion[/charsig]

I havent read CoH, but my sister bought me the audio book read by Christopher Lee, its pretty awesome but I would rather read it, I let my mind wander too much while listening to it.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/06205000000006eb5/01001/signature.png]Ragnvald[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by tuor66 View Post
    This. I really like the stories of the Silmarillion (from which CoH was taken and somewhat expanded), and I find the 1st and 2nd Ages to be more compelling in many ways because of the majesty of the elder days compared to the general decline of the latter ages. However, I found Turin to be rather unlikeable as a character. I acknowledge that the curse of Morgoth bore heavily on Turin, but in my view Turin nevertheless did not show well, especially in his dealings with Beleg and others that loved him. In many ways, I view Turin as being very similar to some of the heroes of Shakespeare's tragedies. Shakespeare would open his stories by declaring that so and so was a great hero, and then he would proceed to destroy the character based on a tragic flaw or circumstance. My complaint with Shakespeare was always that he didn't do anything in particular to actually show me that his character was a hero worthy of my respect or care. He just pronounced it to me. Thus, as the story unfolded the downfall of the "hero" never really felt like much of a "tragedy" to me. In my mind, the real tragic figure of CoH was Hurin rather than his son.

Long story short, while I liked CoH, there is no question that I prefer LOTR.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    However, I found Turin to be rather unlikeable as a character. I acknowledge that the curse of Morgoth bore heavily on Turin, but in my view Turin nevertheless did not show well, especially in his dealings with Beleg and others that loved him.
    I agree that he's on the vexing side, but that's sort of his appeal for me. Turin is, outside of his courage and other gifts, almost like a real human being, albeit on a scale that's larger than any humans I know.

Was his fate caused by the curse of Morgoth Bauglir, by fundamental weaknesses in his character, or by just plain ****** choices that he could have made differently? I believe part of the subtext of Turin's story is that these forces are just reflections of each other, and that it resonates because we could ask similar questions about our own lives.
    [/FONT][/I][FONT=Palatino Linotype]"From without the World, though all things may be forethought in music or foreshown in vision from afar, to those who enter verily into Eä each in its time shall be met at unawares as something new and unforetold."[/FONT]
    [/CENTER]

I prefer LOTR for a few reasons.

One, there's both darkness and light. Sure you have the terrible deeds of the enemy, and the times of hopelessness, and you have treachery from some of the good guys. But there's still a glimmer of hope as you proceed through the story. There are victories here and there that drive the story forward.

CoH, on the other hand, begins darkly, becomes more and more dark and tragic, and then ends with the horrible and seemingly pointless death of everyone! It's all about the foolish decisions of a couple of men, and how those foolish decisions lead to more darkness and tragedy. There's simply nothing in it to lift my heart, or move it with inspiration.

Not saying it isn't a good story with meaningful and influential characters. And it certainly is an important part of the story of Middle-earth. But honestly, I never did finish reading it. I already know the story from the Sil, and I know how it ends, and it ends in sadness and tragedy. I read about 2/3 of CoH, then skipped to the end to see if it ends the same way it did in the Sil, and it did, so I said, "OK, that's enough". And I shelved it and picked up the Sil and re-read through bits and pieces of that. It's just too sad of a story, one that I've read before at least once in the Sil, so I kind of didn't see the point to it being published. If we want the story, just pick up the Sil and there you go.
    Last edited by jimmyboy131; May 09 2009 at 12:39 PM.
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=white][B]But when dark things come from the houseless hills, or creep from sunless woods, they fly from us. What roads would any dare to tread, what safety would there be in quiet lands, or in the homes of simple men at night, if the Dunedain were asleep, or were all gone into the grave?[/B] - [I]Aragorn, at the Council of Elrond[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I think that if one has read the Silmarillion's Turin Turumbar, and didn't particularly care for it, that there's little hope they'll enjoy CoH, as it could be called merely the "unabridged" version of the tale. Though there is maybe a little hope. For instance, I think the reader is given more reason to sympathize with Turin in the latter.

But mainly I think it's going to appeal to those who loved the basic story, aren't put off by the tragic framework, and hunger for more detail.
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by BIGeyedBUG View Post
    I agree that he's on the vexing side, but that's sort of his appeal for me. Turin is, outside of his courage and other gifts, almost like a real human being, albeit on a scale that's larger than any humans I know.

Was his fate caused by the curse of Morgoth Bauglir, by fundamental weaknesses in his character, or by just plain ****** choices that he could have made differently? I believe part of the subtext of Turin's story is that these forces are just reflections of each other, and that it resonates because we could ask similar questions about our own lives.
    Very good points. In a similar way, Aragorn was never my favorite LOTR character because (in the books anyway) he was always free of doubt, not to mention supremely competent, a scourge to his enemies, kind and devoted to his friends, chivalrous with the ladies, inspirational to his followers, and so forth. He was in essence a flawless hero, and for that very reason was difficult to identify with. Oddly enough, I didn't feel that he was improved by the film version. Perhaps PJ simply took the self-doubt too far. Or maybe it is more that I didn't dislike Aragorn as written but rather I just didn't identify with him.

On the other hand, I felt that the book version of Boromir was more or less unlikeable, whereas the movie version (extended edition) was a better explained, more compelling character. I feel that the movie Boromir expressed some of the character elements of what you appreciated in Turin.

For what it's worth, I do enjoy CoH. It just isn't one of my favorite tales of the elder days. I much prefer stories of Beren and Luthien. Man, did Luthien just kick *** or what? She essentially solo'd Sauron, and she handled Morgoth pretty well too.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

I like both, but the trilogy is (and probably always will be) my favorite
    O Elvenking! … Merry be the Greenwood while the world is yet young and merry be all your folk!

As much as I loved CoH, gonna have to go with the trilogy. I will always love the original Lord of the Rings with a passion, and there is nothing in CoH that will make me change my mind anytime soon (although I thought Turin was a great tragic hero...in spite of the fact that he was just a little too close for comfort with his sister )
    Last edited by Reodred14; May 11 2009 at 09:20 PM. Reason: spelling. what else?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000000be194/01008/signature.png]Beragle[/charsig]
    [color=#0000FF][url=http://eriadorsknights.freeforums.org/] Eriador's Knights Kinship of Vilya[/url][font=Harrington] Beragle 65 champ ~~ Caeser 29 minny ~~ Twain 19 burg[/font][/color]
    [COLOR=gold][size=4][I][font=Old english text MT]We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me; Shall be my brother.[/font][/I][/size][/COLOR]