We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

east gate of Moria

We all know a lot about the west gate of Moria; the door made by Narvi and inscribed with the runes by Celebrimbor, that when shut could not be even found let alone forced open from the outside by any means.

What about the east gate? Did it have the same sort of door, and if not--why not? This seems puzzling to me, as at the time the west gate was built in the latter part of the second age, there were no known enemies of the dwarves living to the west, and the greatest power of elves left in middle earth also was west. But they did have Sauron off to their east (well, southeast), and no really significantly powerful allies in that direction. If they had worries about their own defenses, at the very least I would think they would have built such doors on both east and west; or if they only had the time/materials to built one such door, the eastern gate would seem to have been the more logical choice.

Thoughts?
    [color=teal]Officer and Co-Founding Member,[/color] [url=http://www.kismetbp.com]Ring of Destiny[/url]
    [color=silver]Gladden server[/color]
    [i][color=yellow]Á auta mornië! i cala tula lennar! ("Flee, darkness! The light comes upon you!")[/color][/i]

Re: east gate of Moria

Quote Originally Posted by MithrilSoul View Post
    We all know a lot about the west gate of Moria; the door made by Narvi and inscribed with the runes by Celebrimbor, that when shut could not be even found let alone forced open from the outside by any means.

What about the east gate? Did it have the same sort of door, and if not--why not? This seems puzzling to me, as at the time the west gate was built in the latter part of the second age, there were no known enemies of the dwarves living to the west, and the greatest power of elves left in middle earth also was west. But they did have Sauron off to their east (well, southeast), and no really significantly powerful allies in that direction. If they had worries about their own defenses, at the very least I would think they would have built such doors on both east and west; or if they only had the time/materials to built one such door, the eastern gate would seem to have been the more logical choice.

Thoughts?
    I have no concrete information, but that fact that Lothlorien was so close might have something to do with it. But then again, Eregion was right next to Moria before it was destroyed.
    [COLOR="Red"][I][CENTER]Dwoir - 65 - Guardian
    Halfric - 65 - Warden
    Swifty and Hammo - Arkenstone
    [/CENTER][/I][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by The Fellowship of the Ring, The Bridge of Khazad-Dum
    They Passed into a hall, bright with daylight from its high windows in the east. They fled across it. Through it huge open doors they passed, and suddenly before them the Great Gates opened, an arch of blazing light. There was a guard of orcs crouching in the shadows behind the great door-posts towering on either side, but the gates were shattered and cast down.

The dwarves had a door, however it was destroyed, most likely during the Battle of Azanulbizar.

e.h.b
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000000a3c89/01001/signature.png]Eroin[/charsig]
    and the ever watchful warg, waiting from the shadows, fear the name of Bagulrat.

Originally Posted by The Fellowship of the Ring, The Bridge of Khazad-Dum
    They Passed into a hall, bright with daylight from its high windows in the east. They fled across it. Through it huge open doors they passed, and suddenly before them the Great Gates opened, an arch of blazing light. There was a guard of orcs crouching in the shadows behind the great door-posts towering on either side, but the gates were shattered and cast down.
    "Through its huge open doors they passed" I'm guessing these are doors between the first and second halls.

"before them the Great Gates opened" I'm going to guess that this means that they let the Fellowship see the view beyond them, not in the verb form, as that would neither make sense to have them be opening if the Fellowship is attempting to flee or if the gates are broken like the next line states.

"but the gates were shattered and cast down." Your guess is as good as mine how this happened but this might explain the lack of detail on them. Could also argue that Tolkien was wanted to reveal some of Moria as the reader passed through with the Fellowship without doing any irrelevant prefacing like describing the end when we're at the beginning. Then when we do get to the west end, Tolkien wanted to focus on the flight of the remaining eight members and emphasize the haste of the situation. Stopping to describe the environment beyond what the Fellowship would note detracts from the pace set at the end of that chapter.
    ~Officer of the Black Knight Brotherhood (BKB) on Elendilmir~
    ~Herudraug, Hound of Barahish. Rank 4 Warg on Elendilmir~
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000001cd8/signature.png]Darron[/charsig]
    Not all those who wander are lost. Just me. Now where did that refrigerator get to?

The bridge where Gandalf fought the Balrog, near the east entrance, meant you could only storm the bridge in single file. Very tough to take especially if you had a squadron of Dwarven archers on the opposite side shooting at you in a cross fire. There likely would have been doors at the east gate but it would have been more of a first line of defence.
    "You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81

Actually, I don't believe Sauron was known to still be in Middle Earth until after the Elves realized their betrayal when he forged the Ruling Ring at Mount Doom. It was then that he raised Barad Dur.
    [COLOR=#800000]Various Hobbits, Thwilda the dwarf lass, and Gnersk, Stalker[/COLOR]

It seems likely that it was downed during that great, aforementioned battle but is it also possible that whatever was there was destroyed by the Orcs?
    [center][b][color=gray]Dedoric[/color] || [color=royalblue]Rocso[/color][/b] of [url=http://guild-sanctuary.com/lotro]Sanctuary[/url]
    [size=1][[url=http://lotroplayers.com]LOTROPlayers[/url]]
    [[url=http://greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com]The Grey Company Podcast[/url]]
    [[url=http://masteroflore.wordpress.com]Master of Lore blog[/url]][/size]
    [/center]