We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A Revel Too Far

Re: A Revel Too Far

Quote Originally Posted by chem_aggie View Post
    I positioned myself to be in hearing range of 6 elves, 3 on the gazebo and 3 in the field
    That's the spot I used. It only took about 15 minutes, but it was a little hard to get an angle that showed me which elf was speaking.

The time you have to scold the elf is longer than I initially thought, which helps a little. You don't have to be right beside the elf as you have (just) enough time to move.

Also, multiple players can scold an elf at once. It's not a race with each other.
    [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/elendilmir/duvi/"]Duvi[/URL]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000038e43/01000/signature.png]Duvi[/charsig]
    [B][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Vastin[/COLOR][/B]: [I]"But whenever we take feedback on most game systems, such as character builds, economics, or [/I]especially[i] anything to do with PvP, then we are forced to read very carefully between the lines of any and all player feedback, as it is all inevitably skewed by self-investment, self-interest, and a deeply subjective viewpoint that increases in direct proportion to how long or successfully a player has occupied a particular role."[/I]

Agree with some of the previous posters.

On the (mostly empty) test server, I was able to do this quest in a few minutes.

On the live server, I tried it during prime-time last night and couldn't get a single drunk elf, much less finish it, in something approaching a half hour.

Then I was playing very early this morning when the area was almost deserted, and it was easy and relatively fast again.

Quote Originally Posted by Vastin View Post
    Ok, that's all pretty useful feedback actually. I'll probably be making some tweaks to this for patch 2 if I can get to it in time. I haven't decided exactly WHAT tweaks yet, but probably some tweaks.

My biggest concern is that the distance you can see their text at is too short right now. Somebody is talking every ~2-3 seconds, so clearly there is an issue of simply being out of range of most of them when they talk. If I can resolve that it'll definitely help a lot.

Then I have to decide if I also need to mess with the ratio of drunk/sober elves and the lines they say. Hmm...
    Honestly, I think this should be on a cool down timer. If you fail it, you can't do it again until the next night (game time) because scolding the sober elves get's you disgraced/thrown out of the party, or whatever. The quest giver sent you to keep the revel in line and scolding the sober elves is out of line.
    The suggestion to interact with them is also a good one. Click to get a speech and /scold if they are drunk.
    I enjoyed it, but I was annoyed by 3 or 4 people just randomly clicking until it failed or they got them all.
    Feadel Morauko
    Brotherhood of Crimson Knights
    "Peace must prevail, even if the wicked must die." - Jasmine Boreal

In 40 minutes today I saw one drunk elf before they depoped at daybreak. Gives these revelers some stronger booze! At least increase the chance that what they speak will be the drunken phrases.

V.K.S. Firestorm - Flagship of the Royal Vokian Star Empire War Fleet

You just have to know the trick, and you can beat everyone. They won't even have a chance before you've told off the drunken elf.

Trust me, I got mine all before people even knew what was going on.

And no, it's not an exploit, it's legit
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000000d53a/01008/signature.png]Donnatello[/charsig]
    Firefoot... Our [COLOR=DarkOrange][Jewelled Bell][/COLOR] goes *Schwing*Schwing*
    ----------------------------------------
    I am Arinthros! Obey me.

I like this quest but it needs improvement:

1. The elves need to talk more (or let us interact with them as suggested above).

2. The drunk elves need to say drunken things more often

3. Most Important: please don't make this a competition to click first! I sat there for 20 minutes waiting for one to slip up. Someone else ran in and clicked first. While I was clicking, the "sober" elf reset. When I scolded, not only did I not get credit, I got dinged for scolding a sober elf. With the number of players in this area this needs to be doable for each player regardless of other players' interactions.
    Glamral Isten Fusillade Glamdral Glammit Glammi Glamdren Glamrik Glambo. Salvation. Meneldor. Psylent Contagion Infection Infestation Afflicted Pathological. Salivation. Meneldor.

Quote Originally Posted by Fusillade View Post
    3. Most Important: please don't make this a competition to click first!
    It's not. There are a few seconds when multiple players can scold.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000038e43/01000/signature.png]Duvi[/charsig]
    [B][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Vastin[/COLOR][/B]: [I]"But whenever we take feedback on most game systems, such as character builds, economics, or [/I]especially[i] anything to do with PvP, then we are forced to read very carefully between the lines of any and all player feedback, as it is all inevitably skewed by self-investment, self-interest, and a deeply subjective viewpoint that increases in direct proportion to how long or successfully a player has occupied a particular role."[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by slack_n_hash View Post
    It's not. There are a few seconds when multiple players can scold.
    Hmm. Didn't work that way for me. When the elf gave the response (I've been drinking too much) to another player during my induction it reset and then told me to buzz off lightweight. I'll have to try again to verify.
    Glamral Isten Fusillade Glamdral Glammit Glammi Glamdren Glamrik Glambo. Salvation. Meneldor. Psylent Contagion Infection Infestation Afflicted Pathological. Salivation. Meneldor.

I liked the quest a lot was different and made me slow down and think a little. Some of the comments were funny as well.

One of the methods I used was to stand relatively in the middle of a couple of the groups and watch my text box. When I saw a drunk line, I clicked on the speakers name in the box, and hit my /follow hotkey right to him. It worked well up to a point.

What I didnt like was that it really did seem to take quite a while to get any elf to speak at all sometimes, even when I was positioned in the middle of multiple groups. I also didn't like having my drunk stolen right out from under me by a slightly faster clicker hehe

Solutions:
    ---make the drunk's reset time after the first scolding a little longer, so more people have a chance to scold once they notice.
    If you've had the patience to sit and wait for drunk speech, you should be able to get the credit every time. Reward patient observation, not the quickest trigger finger hehe

---make npcs talk when triggered by a player emote. Perhaps /bow or /talk or /sing or /story. Then players can somewhat control the pace a little more, and will basically be interacting and participating in the party and they'll be advancing their quest at the same time.

just some thoughts. good quest all-in-all. I liked it
    Last edited by elvyen; Mar 20 2009 at 02:19 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000001a9c5/01007/signature.png]Elviendur[/charsig]
    [COLOR="Silver"][SIZE="1"]"And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this earth; and many of the children of Illuvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen"[/SIZE][/color]

Item 3: Your flute player SUCKS! Please don't make me stand next to someone playing a half dozen notes over and over for 30 minutes.

WORST QUEST EVER, worse than all the boars, worse than GA, Dol Dinen, or anything in old Angmar.

Glorified Whack-a-mole but instead of action-oriented, with Moles popping up, I have to spell-check.

P.S. Being the Anti-Fun Police sucks too.

Ooh, and it's repeatable! Thank you sir, may I have another?
    Last edited by saxtus3; Mar 20 2009 at 05:21 PM. Reason: It's essentially Whack-a-Mole
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000001929/01008/signature.png]Beowe[/charsig]

Some good suggestions, and people are right that multiple players can get credit for the same drunk elf. I'm not sure how long the window is open, but it is open.

Has anyone tried doing this while in a fellowship? I know that the pattern in LOTRO for pickup/click-type quests is for things to count for only the person clicking on them, but perhaps it's possible that this quest works differently? If so, group up with the nearby people and you could all finish it faster.

As for it being frustrating, I ran through that area last night to see this emote:

<CharacterName> punches reveler in the face.

I think somebody had had enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Fusillade View Post
    Hmm. Didn't work that way for me. When the elf gave the response (I've been drinking too much) to another player during my induction it reset and then told me to buzz off lightweight. I'll have to try again to verify.
    Yeah, that seems to be the end of the window of opportunity. The sequence is:

1. drunken line
    2. player clicks npc
    3. scold animation
    4. apology line

If your reactions are not much slower than the other players then you can scold too. I think the devs got that right - you can't just copy other players, but you can both scold at once.

Quote Originally Posted by LANLORD View Post
    I simply deleted the quest. No fun there whatsoever.
    I did the same thing. The big problems:

1) It is very difficult to complete the quest due large numbers of other characters around. Depending on your speed at clicking. Someone will take the drunk. You end up failing the quest. The elf is sober now. Best case - you wasted your time.

2) The presentation of an indication that the elf is drunk is very slow. Even though there is always drunks present. Trying to figure which ones are drunk is a big hassle.

Worst quest ever. The concept is fine. The actual mechanics are terrible. Please do not ever create another quest like this. You failed consider what happens when multiple people are trying to do it. Make it quicker to figure which elf is drunk. Six months from now when everyone has moved on. It will not be so bad.

It reminds me of the fun trying to the pie eating challenge quest when there is three or more people involved. Everybody fails. This is another quest. You want to do it. Make sure you are the only one. It is hard enough with one eater.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Mar 21 2009 at 01:54 AM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

I really enjoyed this quest the first time I did it. I failed it once, then figured it out and had a blast running around finding the drunk elves.

Since then, I can spend half an hour in this area trying to find even one drunk elf. I was thinking it was a server performance issue, since it seems like the time between phrases is longer than it was that first time.

Whatever, this needs adjusting so it can be done in a reasonable amount of time. I haven't finished this since Tuesday night because it takes too long.
    [CENTER][B][COLOR=#ffa500]Clarrow PeopleEater - R12 (finally!) BA[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#ee82ee]Clarysta [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=#ee82ee]- Lvl 100 Captain - Wannabe Freep R4[/COLOR]
    [I]Twitter - @clarystainsun[/I]
    [/CENTER]

I failed a few times before I figured out what was happening

I like the quest though because you do need to slow down. I actually finally finished it by getting 2 drunken ones then going to do other things and going back to it later for the other 3, no need to stand there and wait.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/01203000000001579/01008/signature.png]Niewen[/charsig]
    1 Twinfall Path, Celous Glorui

Quote Originally Posted by LANLORD View Post
    I simply deleted the quest. No fun there whatsoever.
    Same. Spent 20 minutes there and got tired of someone scolding the right elf before me just to make it respawn...
    Razor // Lusitanius // Crickhollow ~ Portuguese Kinship //

/fail

Wasted nearly an hour. In all that time, ONE elf said anything drunkenly and by the time anyone clicked on them, the had sobered up. There were times when the elves were quite for minutes at a time and other times where they were speaking so quickly you could barely read what they were saying, but all soberly.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000007f615/01008/signature.png]Alfrodul[/charsig]
    [CENTER][B][COLOR=DarkGreen]Alfrodul Taurfaron[/COLOR][/B], [I][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Elf Hunter of Mirkwood[/COLOR][/I], [B][COLOR=DarkGreen]Thengil Cylcelairlang[/COLOR][/B], [COLOR=DarkSlateGray][I]Elf Champion[/I][/COLOR] - [B][COLOR=DarkGreen]Vetyrlithi Neithithron[/COLOR][/B], [COLOR=DarkSlateGray][I]Elf Loremaster[/I][/COLOR], [COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Rilien Veryangóle[/B][/COLOR], [COLOR=DarkSlateGray][I]Elf Rune-keeper[/I][/COLOR], [B][COLOR=DarkGreen]Tûrsidhion Bellthandien[/COLOR][/B], [COLOR=DarkSlateGray][I]Elf Warden[/I][/COLOR], [B][COLOR=DarkRed]Ingolf[/COLOR][/B], [COLOR=DarkSlateGray][I]Guardian of Rohan[/I][/COLOR] - [B][COLOR=DarkRed]Kveldulfr[/COLOR][/B], [COLOR=DarkSlateGray][I]Burglar of Rohan[/I][/COLOR][/CENTER]

My wife and I made up a fun little song for this quest.

"Worst quest, it's the worst quest in the gammmmeeeeeee...
    Worst quest, oh worst quest, it's so very lammeeeeeeee...
    Worst quest, I say we hate youuuuuu...
    Worst quest, to the devs we say booooooo.
    "

Worst implemented quest in the game. Boo.
    [SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"][B]Xavierdor[/B][/COLOR]: Rank 8 Level 75 Elf-Sapper - [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B]Xavierstan[/B][/COLOR]: Rank 6 Level 75 Captain - [COLOR="Orange"][B]Xavierlas[/B][/COLOR]: Rank 5 Level 62 Burglar - [COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Xavieredi[/B][/COLOR]: Level 50 Runekeeper
    [COLOR="DarkOrchid"][B]Cortante[/B][/COLOR]: Rank 9 Reaver - [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]Akavier[/B][/COLOR]: Rank 7 Black Arrow - [B][COLOR="Olive"]Pounceasaurus Rex[/COLOR][/B]: Rank 5 Stalker - [B][COLOR="Yellow"]Lancio[/COLOR][/B]: Rank 5 Weaver[/SIZE]

I understand the quest just fine (unlike many players around me who click randomly and run back to the quest giver over and over), but there's something wrong when a person can stand around for 40-45 minutes of real time and only be at 3/5 when dawn arrives. This requires more than a few tweaks.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000093772/signature.png]Erikaraen[/charsig]

Perhaps this could be instanced, to remove the issue of other players. Add to that more lines, and especially more drunken lines, and it would be a very good quest. As it stands, the payoff isn't worth the time/frustration (and I've done it successfully 4 or so times).

Quote Originally Posted by erikave View Post
    I understand the quest just fine (unlike many players around me who click randomly and run back to the quest giver over and over), but there's something wrong when a person can stand around for 40-45 minutes of real time and only be at 3/5 when dawn arrives. This requires more than a few tweaks.
    Agreed. 20 minutes, not a single drunk line, and then the sun comes up. Not productive, not fun, not something I am inclined to try again until they make it more bearable.
    Not all those who wander are lost. They might be working on one of their exploration deeds.
    The new forums stink on ice. Let others follow them who can.

Nah this quest is not hard at all...just stand there in the middle of the dancing elves and watch what they say. I could tell you exactly what to look for but then...it would not be fun at all.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000bc630/01002/signature.png]Cyrowen[/charsig]

Asreth (hunter/Elf) Lvl 90, Galaiwen (Loremaster/Elf) Lvl 90, Kirstina (Burg/ Hobbit) Lvl 87, Tankette (Guardian/Hobbit) Lvl 59, Gladyolis (Minnie/Hobbit) Lvl 40

If you watch very closely, there's a moment when the elves are deleted and replaced - either by their drunk version or their sober version. If, for instance, someone scolds a drunk elf, after they issue their apology, they'll disappear and get replaced with another copy (possibly sober, possibly not). As long as you get your scolding all the way done before they vanish, it will give you credit for scolding.

You can also use this to tell when it's time to scold an elf. I scolded one, saw it replaced by a sober version, and then as I watched for other elves, I suddenly the one I knew as sober replaced again. I clicked on it before it even said anything, and was rewarded with the "I'm sorry" message.

Quote Originally Posted by saxtus3 View Post
    Item 3: Your flute player SUCKS! Please don't make me stand next to someone playing a half dozen notes over and over for 30 minutes.

Ooh. Yeah. Actually I agree with that. I hate that flute player more than anything in the world, and meant to remove her like a dozen times and didn't get to it because of other things that kept coming up. <sigh>

The problem is that the sound is built in with the animation and I really wanted to have a player there. I've been meaning to go poke the sound department about that for over a year now.

The worst thing thats happened to me so far is that they all say something at once then i cant figure out which one said what....maybe we you should make it so they have names so i know which one to click on
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/01203000000051ad1/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast