We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: A Revel Too Far

Re: A Revel Too Far

Quote Originally Posted by Audessa View Post
    I, personally, thought this quest was a hoot and look forward to doing it again. =)
    I agree. I like this quest a lot as is. It requires patience and observation skills, and is very different from the normal fare. I encourage more development of quests of this type, and more "nonviolent" quests in general, especially in places like Lorien that the lore deems should be peaceful. Those who like murder and mayhem in their quests have lots of alternatives!

It's probably been mentioned but I thought i'd put in my 2c.

The quest itself is a great idea, it's just missing a little bit of, what I'd term, "reasonable completability".

If I had to stand there for 5 minutes and read the dialog to find the drunk elves, this is reasonable. But I stood there for 30 min in between the dancing elves and I didn't see a single drunk line. It is unreasonable for me to spend more than 30 minutes on a solo quest.

This is one of two things.

1. Too many people "stealing" the drunk ones as their dialog appears at a different stage to mine?

2. The drunk dialog being WAY to subtle.

I appreciate the subtly and cleverness, it's just not currently reasonable to complete the quest within a reasonable space of time.

Not sure if all that made sense.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000053d97/01008/signature.png]Rocharan[/charsig]
    Elendilmir: [COLOR=orange][Jewelled Bell][/COLOR] goes *Jingle, Jangle*

Quote Originally Posted by APErebusAU View Post
    This is one of two things.

2. The drunk dialog being WAY to subtle.

I appreciate the subtly and cleverness, it's just not currently reasonable to complete the quest within a reasonable space of time.
    It's not subtle, it's just random and rare. There are always 5 drunk elves but they don't always say drunk things. The five are random. If they are drunk, whether they say a "sober phrase" or a "drunk phrase" is also random. Once one person scolds them, they sober up and another elf radomly becomes drunk.

I've completed it, took me an hour or two to get it done, over the course of three or four days. I'm not going to bother again on this character. Maybe my second or third character through (whoever is passing through Lothlorien once II.8 comes out).

I agree with others here that the quest idea is a really good one and it is a nice change from the usual violence and mayhem and it is in fitting with the mood of Lothlorien. When a quest makes you want to visit violence upon the Elves of Lothlorien themselves, however, its execution is flawed.

If there was a game mechanic for taunting and dueling "friendly" NPCs, I would have gladly beaten down Maliriel for being a nosy, uptight, good-for-nothing, busybody who is obviously far more worried about "improper" behavior than about her guests enjoying themselves.

Apparently, the Elves of Lothlorien are lightweights compared to the Elves of Rivendell or Mirkwood.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000007f615/01008/signature.png]Alfrodul[/charsig]
    [CENTER][B][COLOR=DarkGreen]Alfrodul Taurfaron[/COLOR][/B], [I][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Elf Hunter of Mirkwood[/COLOR][/I], [B][COLOR=DarkGreen]Thengil Cylcelairlang[/COLOR][/B], [COLOR=DarkSlateGray][I]Elf Champion[/I][/COLOR] - [B][COLOR=DarkGreen]Vetyrlithi Neithithron[/COLOR][/B], [COLOR=DarkSlateGray][I]Elf Loremaster[/I][/COLOR], [COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Rilien Veryangóle[/B][/COLOR], [COLOR=DarkSlateGray][I]Elf Rune-keeper[/I][/COLOR], [B][COLOR=DarkGreen]Tûrsidhion Bellthandien[/COLOR][/B], [COLOR=DarkSlateGray][I]Elf Warden[/I][/COLOR], [B][COLOR=DarkRed]Ingolf[/COLOR][/B], [COLOR=DarkSlateGray][I]Guardian of Rohan[/I][/COLOR] - [B][COLOR=DarkRed]Kveldulfr[/COLOR][/B], [COLOR=DarkSlateGray][I]Burglar of Rohan[/I][/COLOR][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by walugi55 View Post
    The worst thing thats happened to me so far is that they all say something at once then i cant figure out which one said what....maybe we you should make it so they have names so i know which one to click on
    Just click on their name in the chat window to select the one who said it. Easy as inedible snake pies.

I thought this was a very fun and innovative quest, and the few times I did it so far, it didn't take anywhere near 20 minutes (not even ten), even though there were other people around. If you move among the reveler groups, you have a much better chance of catching the too-merry ones quickly, compared to standing in one spot.

Kudos Vastin, long live the lusty vintage !
    [i][color=#dbb953]"Yet there may be a light beyond the darkness; and if so, I would have you see it and be glad."[/color][/i]

I enjoy watching the players that are 'too cool' doing this quest, as soon as they get it they run to and click on the three closest revelers and fail and then demand to know why.

That's almost as fun as watching player try to run into Lorien without the proper rep.

Yes, I had a laugh too. "###?! This quest is STUPID! How am I supposed to know which ones are drunk?!"
    [i][color=#dbb953]"Yet there may be a light beyond the darkness; and if so, I would have you see it and be glad."[/color][/i]

I finally figured this quest out - and then the time-frame ended before I could get all the drunk ones.

So - the quest was cute, and ALMOST worked, and was ALMOST fun - but just fell short.

Yes, pls try to do more clever stuff - but pls:
    1) don't fall short
    2) don't make me waste time
    3) don't do it if it means fewer fun combat quests
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/02204000000014340/signature.png]Anamedmob[/charsig]

I loved this quest and specifically came back here to see what the problems people had with it were, because once I figured it out, I thought it was easy. But there were two factors I didn't have to contend with:

1) Other players. There was one other guy doing this quest while I was, so it was easy for us to move to opposite ends of the party and avoid each other.

2) It was Evening when I started, so I wasn't racing against the sunrise, which allowed me to take the time I needed to wait for the elves to speak.

So yeah. Great quest as is, but competing with other people and racing against the clock when you specifically need to be patient are real problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Vastin View Post
    Ooh. Yeah. Actually I agree with that. I hate that flute player more than anything in the world, and meant to remove her like a dozen times and didn't get to it because of other things that kept coming up. <sigh>

The problem is that the sound is built in with the animation and I really wanted to have a player there. I've been meaning to go poke the sound department about that for over a year now.
    Please go poke them.
    Poor elves, living so long and only knowing those few horrible notes on the flute.

I liked this quest but like others said, it was a real problem with other people around. The first time I tried it, there were about 3 players per reveler. It was quite crazy. I left and came back another time and there were only 2 other players there which was much easier.

It also takes a bit too long to get them to say anything so I agree with some of the suggestions here to either speed up their speaking or make them speak if you emote something to them.

Some of the drunken lines are pretty funny
    O Elvenking! … Merry be the Greenwood while the world is yet young and merry be all your folk!

I quite liked it. Camped the three elves by the bridge and finished it in about 10 minutes. A couple more phrases might have been nice to have. Seemed to be saying (mostly) the same 3-4 things over and over.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/06205000000002895/01001/signature.png]Gumpf[/charsig][/CENTER]

Give the person who came up with this one a raise. In fact, make him/her lead dev, lead quest designer and CEO.

Finally, somebody at Turbine realized that we don't all want to be pandered to like some idiot sitting at a bus stop fingering the lump of chewed gum under the bench, nor do we care to see a game that used to be uniquely imaginative (with the exception of pre-NGE SWG) made *concurrently* equal to that other game.

The single most frustrating, annoying, cerebral and FUN experience I've had in-game post MoM - by far. Although I must admit, staring at those dancing elves for more than a few minutes induces vomiting and, occasionally, a mild seizure.

Who'd have thunk fun could also be profitable?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jayspeed View Post
    I also skipped it. I couldn't figure it out. They only said three things over and over again.
    Then you didn't listen well... Sometimes they say wrong words... like "comb" instead of "come". Or "Yolk" instead of "Folk".

LEast it works for you's i fail to see them ever say anything that remotels stands them out as drunk,

only close ones were lets make a toast and when they speak in i guess it's elvish

I've succeeded when they've said the meals were great and toasting to Moria, but it's completely random, you can do the same line on someone else and you fail.???

None of them "act" drunk, they don't slur in text, they don't use CAPS
    How the bleep are u meant to know who's who
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000009776b/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    alts Felonias - 65 Elf Hunter | Hornori - 65 Dwarf Champ | Healery - 54 Man Minstrel | Scarysherrie 16 Elf RuneKeeper | Wardina 34 Hobbit Warden | Cerebralward - 65 Man Warden | Cerebralburg - 65 Hobbit Burg | Underkeeper - 65 Dwarf RuneKeeper | Loremania - 65 Man LoreMaster | Cerebralcapy - 35 Man Captain

Quote Originally Posted by GameOverRIP View Post
    LEast it works for you's i fail to see them ever say anything that remotels stands them out as drunk,

only close ones were lets make a toast and when they speak in i guess it's elvish

I've succeeded when they've said the meals were great and toasting to Moria, but it's completely random, you can do the same line on someone else and you fail.???

Typos.

"will not comb to Lothlorien"

instead of

"will not come to Lothlorien"

Just one example.

Quote Originally Posted by GameOverRIP View Post

LOL mate! You navigated for me through most of Moria but you can't spot a drunk elf. Priceless.

I'll show you the tricks next time I'm on. It's easy once you know them.

Cheers,
    Duvi.
    [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/elendilmir/duvi/"]Duvi[/URL]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000038e43/01000/signature.png]Duvi[/charsig]
    [B][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Vastin[/COLOR][/B]: [I]"But whenever we take feedback on most game systems, such as character builds, economics, or [/I]especially[i] anything to do with PvP, then we are forced to read very carefully between the lines of any and all player feedback, as it is all inevitably skewed by self-investment, self-interest, and a deeply subjective viewpoint that increases in direct proportion to how long or successfully a player has occupied a particular role."[/I]

Oh for goodness sakes! I /bugged a couple typos *laugh* Now that I have the quest, hope you didn't pay attention to my report!
    Thalia, for Reacher
    Bubbie, for posterity
    Glyndis, because I needed an elf

Quote Originally Posted by thalialotr View Post
    Oh for goodness sakes! I /bugged a couple typos *laugh* Now that I have the quest, hope you didn't pay attention to my report!
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Doronlas View Post
    Please go poke them.
    Poor elves, living so long and only knowing those few horrible notes on the flute.
    And a belated thanks to Vastin and those he poked - new flute music throughout Middle-earth! Yay!
    O Elvenking! … Merry be the Greenwood while the world is yet young and merry be all your folk!

So that's why those dancing elves all have typos. LOL! I thought it was bugs in the dialogue and was mentally grumbling about it the whole time I was over there.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/02204000000126e24/01006/signature.png]Fanraeth[/charsig]
    "Try not to die." -Nico Minoru

There are some serious problems with this quest. I'm in Lothlórien, essentially alone (so I'm not competing with anyone for drunken elves), and I've been standing where I can see several groups' dialogue for about twenty minutes, my frustration building the entire time. Some lines of dialogue will appear only in the chat window and NOT above any elves' heads. Also, even when a line of "drunken" speech appears in both the chat window and above an elf's head, it often disappears before I can determine which of the elves it's above.

Recommendations for improving this quest: each elf should be standing far enough apart from one another that it's very obvious who's saying what. Also, make it easy for questers to see all of the elves (and their dialogue -- on-screen, not just in the chat window) from a large, obvious area. Make the lines of "drunken" text more frequent and more obviously "drunken." Remove the mention of a "lusty" vintage of wine as one of the "sober" lines -- the first time I tried this quest, I thought the elves' drunkenness might have been causing them to pepper their speech with suggestive synonyms. (Especially since "lusty" is also used instead of "last" in one of the drunken lines!)
    Last edited by Giode76; May 25 2016 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Giode76 View Post
    There are some serious problems with this quest. I'm in Lothlórien, essentially alone (so I'm not competing with anyone for drunken elves), and I've been standing where I can see both groups' dialogue for about twenty minutes, my frustration building the entire time. Some lines of dialogue will appear only in the chat window and NOT above any elves' heads. Also, even when a line of "drunken" speech appears in both the chat window and above an elf's head, it often disappears before I can determine which of the elves' heads it's above.

Recommendations for improving this quest: each elf should be standing far enough apart from one another that it's very obvious who's saying what. Also, make it easy for questers to see all of the elves (and their dialogue -- on-screen, not just in the chat window) from a large, obvious area. Make the lines of "drunken" text more frequent and more obviously "drunken." Remove the mention of a "lusty" vintage of wine as one of the "sober" lines -- the first time I tried this quest, I thought the elves' drunkenness might have been causing them to pepper their speech with suggestive synonyms.
    I STILL hate this quest, for the above reasons. The dialogue disappears too quickly to determine who says what, and the elves within each group are standing so close together, you can't tell who's speaking unless you're practically on top of them. And since there are several groups in the area, if you "hear" a drunken line from the group across the way, by the time you run over there, it's vanished and you have no clue who said it. And yes, you can stand there for 10-20 minutes without seeing ANY drunken lines. Very annoying.
    “At the touch of love, everyone becomes a poet.” – Plato
    RP Characters:
    Landroval server- Maggiethefair, Narys
    Laurelin server - Brynleigh, Carralyn

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3