We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question Digital Upgrade ($39) v.s. Boxed Retail Upgrade ($29)

What is the difference between...

"The Lord of the Rings Online™: Mines of Moria™ Digital Complete Edition - US $39.99"
    found on myaccount.turbine.com

v.s.

"The Lord of the Rings: Mines of Moria - US $29.99"
    found at BestBuy, Walmart, Amazon, etc.?

They both have the same box art, and both claim to be the "Complete Edition".

Is it just that Turbine's direct online store hasn't reduced their prices yet, or does this edition contain some perks that aren't available in the boxed retail editions? Can I even use the $29.99 boxed edition for upgrading a trial account? I would have thought that the physical copy would cost more, so I'm a bit confused.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Leidanav; Mar 12 2009 at 03:44 PM.

Re: Digital Upgrade ($39) v.s. Boxed Retail Upgrade ($29)

I often found that buying direct from the publisher or maker is sometimes more expensive than buying from retailers. If it says "The Mines of Moria Complete Edition", it is indeed the complete game so you can go ahead and buy it.

Note that you don't have to use the discs at all since you're game is already up to date. Just use the key (the code) inside the box and use it to upgrade your trial. Be sure to upgrade your account and not create a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Leidanav View Post

"The Lord of the Rings Online™: Mines of Moria™ Digital Complete Edition - US $39.99"

v.s.

Ten dollars.
    [SIZE="4"][FONT="Impact"][I][COLOR="YellowGreen"]"Behold the Chinchillas! They ride to war!"[/COLOR][/I][/FONT][/SIZE][RIGHT][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B]I'm not a hobbit burglar, but I play one on Landroval![/B][/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"][URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/landroval/darquo/"]Darquo Flatfoot[/URL] 61BRG | [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/landroval/ghoin/"]Ghoin Onabeerrun[/URL] 42HNT | [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/landroval/methuzelah/"]Methuzelah[/URL] 27LM | [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/landroval/feiladan/"]Feiladan[/URL] 24RK[/SIZE][/RIGHT]

Quote Originally Posted by Leidanav View Post

v.s.

They both have the same box art, and both claim to be the "Complete Edition".

Is it just that Turbine's direct online store hasn't reduced their prices yet, or does this edition contain some perks that aren't available in the boxed retail editions? Can I even use the $29.99 boxed edition for upgrading a trial account? I would have thought that the physical copy would cost more, so I'm a bit confused.

Thanks.
    Digital edition is a download only, when did the price go up? I bought it at 29.99 and is the only price I have ever seen.

Edit: Never mind about my price info, I'm thinking about the digital upgrade.
    Last edited by lbcadden3; Mar 13 2009 at 10:24 AM.

The digital upgrade from a trial for MoM has always been $39.99 (and includes a month of play time). The digital upgrade for MoM from an account that already has (a purchased) Shadows of Angmar is $29.99 (doesn't include any play time).

We have suggested retailer pricing, but individual retailers set the price themselves. If it is the MoM Complete Edition, that will include everything you need to upgrade from a trial and have SoA and MoM access. The Collector's edition will to, along with some extras.
    LOTRO Support Page & Knowledge Base
    To request support from a Customer Service Agent, simply click on "Submit a Ticket"
    English Account/Store Support is available Monday through Friday from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm. (GMT -5). 855-WBGAMES (855-924-2637)

Contact us on Twitter @LOTRO

Turbine has an MSRP for LOTRO, which is $39 for full version and $29 for the upgrade from SoA. Turbine can't go lower than that MSRP for a variety of reasons, although the retailers can set any price they want. The same is true for almost every manufacturer; check the price of a Sony Bravia from sony.com and then compare that to amazon.com.

now that they have dropped the retail price by $10, dont you think they should drop the digital edition by $10 also? why should i pay the same or more for the digital edition and not have anything to show for it, when i can go to best buy and at least have a printed manual and other items?

Quote Originally Posted by frostytyger2 View Post
    now that they have dropped the retail price by $10, dont you think they should drop the digital edition by $10 also? why should i pay the same or more for the digital edition and not have anything to show for it, when i can go to best buy and at least have a printed manual and other items?
    Best Buy can offer it to you cheap because they buy like a gazillion copies at wholesale discount. Wal-Mart is the same story.

Purchasing an item directly from the manufacturer (as a general customer and not retailer) is almost always going to cost you more. It's just one of those things. But hey if you like the company then you should feel good about supporting them and not supporting evil America-killing ****** corporations like poo-mart.
    [LEFT][CENTER][COLOR=LightBlue]"[/COLOR][COLOR=LightBlue]The wide world is all about you; you can fence[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=LightBlue] yourselves in, but you cannot forever fence it out.[/COLOR][COLOR=LightBlue]"[/COLOR]
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien
    [/CENTER]
    [/LEFT]