We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Nuggets O' Lore

Nuggets O' Lore

I just checked out this section of the forums, and I have to say it's really great!

I never got to finishing the Lord of the Rings (don't EVER let someone borrow a book you are reading ).

I'd like to know a bit more about the lore. Really I'd like to know some little interesting bits. The things that maybe get looked over if you're not paying attention while playing the game.

So if anyone has something interesting they would like to pass on to me, I would really appreciate it!

Hoping that I can get back into reading Lord of the Rings after I finish up my current gauntlet of books.

Thanks!
    Do you remember the taste of [color=red]strawberries[/color]?

2. Re: Nuggets O' Lore

There's actually a gigantic thread listing examples of this very thing: http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=80048

Enjoy
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000009263b/01003/signature.png]Arasilion[/charsig]

Re: Nuggets O' Lore

i found something interesting (though it has probebly been said already) but if you go to oatbarton the hobbit hal talks about seeing a walking tree! if you read the two towers treebeard(aka fanghorn) talks about the ent wifes leaving and going west. but there was nothing about a regular ent in the shire before.

4. Re: Nuggets O' Lore

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeham49 View Post
    i found something interesting (though it has probebly been said already) but if you go to oatbarton the hobbit hal talks about seeing a walking tree! if you read the two towers treebeard(aka fanghorn) talks about the ent wifes leaving and going west. but there was nothing about a regular ent in the shire before.
    There's a quest about it. The tree he sees is a good Huorn. You're tasked of rescuing it from some spiders.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000009263b/01003/signature.png]Arasilion[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Arasilion View Post
    There's actually a gigantic thread listing examples of this very thing: http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=80048

Enjoy
    Awesome. Thank you so much for bringing this thread to my attention!
    Do you remember the taste of [color=red]strawberries[/color]?

Ohio, where we never have any adventures or do anything unexpected

Not only the Two Towers, but also The Fellowship of the Ring. Actually, the hobbit you are referring to, Hal, is specifically mentioned in the story, as is the walking tree:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fellowship of the Ring, The Shadow of the Past
    Sam Gamgee was sitting in one corner near the fire, and opposite him was Ted Sandyman, the miller's son; and there were various other rustic hobbits listening to their talk.

'Queer things you do hear these days, to be sure,' said Sam.

'Ah,' said Ted, 'you do, if you listen. But I can hear fireside-tales and children's stories at home, if I want to.'

'No doubt you can,' retorted Sam, 'and I daresay there's more truth in some of them than you reckon. Who invented the stories anyway? Take dragons now.'

'No thank 'ee,' said Ted, 'I won't. I heard tell of them when I was a youngster, but there's no call to believe in them now. There's only one Dragon in Bywater, and that's Green,' he said, getting a general laugh.

'All right,' said Sam, laughing with the rest. 'But what about these Tree-men, these giants, as you might call them? They do say that one bigger than a tree was seen up away beyond the North Moors not long back.'

'Who's they ?'

'My cousin Hal for one. He works for Mr. Boffin at Overhill and goes up to the Northfarthing for the hunting. He saw one.'

'Says he did, perhaps. Your Hal's always saying he's seen things; and maybe he sees things that ain't there.'

'But this one was as big as an elm tree, and walking - walking seven yards to a stride, if it was an inch.'

'Then I bet it wasn't an inch. What he saw was an elm tree, as like as not.'

'But this one was walking, I tell you; and there ain't no elm tree on the North Moors.'

'Then Hal can't have seen one,' said Ted. There was some laughing and clapping: the audience seemed to think that Ted had scored a point.

'All the same,' said Sam, 'you can't deny that others besides our Halfast have seen queer folk crossing the Shire - crossing it, mind you: there are more that are turned back at the borders. The Bounders have never been so busy before.
    [COLOR=yellowgreen][B]"Pure creation is like a vacation."[/B][/COLOR]
    [INDENT]- Welby of Landroval[/INDENT]

There's a quest about it. The tree he sees is a good Huorn. You're tasked of rescuing it from some spiders.
    i never saw that quest before

8. Re: Nuggets O' Lore

i never saw that quest before
    I think its given from the little village north of Bag End.

I think its given from the little village north of Bag End.
    I do believe you are correct. Overhill, just like mentioned in the book.

thanks for the info

And technically, you arent defending the Hourn. You're watching it (literally) kick spider butt

I've gone back and done those quests on all my toons, lol. So much fun
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Reddhawk View Post
    Not only the Two Towers, but also The Fellowship of the Ring. Actually, the hobbit you are referring to, Hal, is specifically mentioned in the story, as is the walking tree:
    Reddhawk, do you have an online resource with the text of the various books that you use in your excellent posts? You frequently include lengthy excerpts in your posts and I was wondering if that is manual entry or whether you are cutting and pasting from somewhere. I usually am posting at work and don't have the texts on hand. I would love it if there was an online resource I could use to refer to the texts when I don't have the actual books handy. Thanks!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    Reddhawk, do you have an online resource with the text of the various books that you use in your excellent posts? You frequently include lengthy excerpts in your posts and I was wondering if that is manual entry or whether you are cutting and pasting from somewhere. I usually am posting at work and don't have the texts on hand. I would love it if there was an online resource I could use to refer to the texts when I don't have the actual books handy. Thanks!
    Hehe. I guess my secret is out. Initially, it was manual entry, but now it's mostly cutting and pasting. I happened upon unauthorized electronic copies of the books. I figure there's no harm in using them, since I have multiple physical copies on my bookshelf. The obvious benefit of these is convenience and the ability to electronically search the text for references.

Thumbs up Re: Nuggets O' Lore

Quote Originally Posted by 0rdinary0wl View Post
    I just checked out this section of the forums, and I have to say it's really great!

I never got to finishing the Lord of the Rings (don't EVER let someone borrow a book you are reading ).

I'd like to know a bit more about the lore. Really I'd like to know some little interesting bits. The things that maybe get looked over if you're not paying attention while playing the game.

So if anyone has something interesting they would like to pass on to me, I would really appreciate it!

Hoping that I can get back into reading Lord of the Rings after I finish up my current gauntlet of books.

Thanks!
    I must say that I'm extremely impressed at the friendliness of this forum! I'm brand new to MMORPG's, but if I knew somebody was going to post on here that they hadn't finished the trilogy I would have bet money somebody would flame them! The fact that everybody has been genuinely helpful and nice and nobody has flamed is a testiment to the players of the game! What a difference from what I've read about other online communties. *cough* WoW *cough* I guess this is another reason why LOTRO is so awesome! You guys and gals rock! It gives noobs like me confidence to play and post. Thank you all. The Professor would be proud! (And, like Elaine, I use way too many !'s)

Quote Originally Posted by BlancoFallowhide View Post
    I must say that I'm extremely impressed at the friendliness of this forum! I'm brand new to MMORPG's, but if I knew somebody was going to post on here that they hadn't finished the trilogy I would have bet money somebody would flame them! The fact that everybody has been genuinely helpful and nice and nobody has flamed is a testiment to the players of the game! What a difference from what I've read about other online communties. *cough* WoW *cough* I guess this is another reason why LOTRO is so awesome! You guys and gals rock! It gives noobs like me confidence to play and post. Thank you all. The Professor would be proud! (And, like Elaine, I use way too many !'s)
    Maybe there's too much reading here for your average "Troll"
    Seriously though, I find this category draws people who enjoy civilized debate even if we don't always agree on every point. As long as there's some thought put into the debate it makes for interesting reading. There's been a few times when I've had my opinion on something, read someone else's and had a "never thought about it that way before" moment. Enjoy ...
    "You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81