We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Quenya names for weapons?

Just recently as I've started finding some LI weapons that I kinda halfway like (still only 3rd age but what the heck) I've been thinking more seriously about elvish names for them.

In trying to do some research, one thing I've run across is it appears basically every named weapon in the entire Tolkien corpus was named in Sindarin, not Quenya. In all the searching I've done, the only weapon I've found that has a Quenya name is (of all things) one not even associated with the elves, but men: Narsil. Everything else—Orcrist, Glamdring, Aranrûth, Angrist, Gurthang, Dramborleg, Hadhathang, Ringil, Anglachel, Anguirel, Dagmor—all are apparently Sindarin, even if for some of them we don't know the precise word origins they derive from.

Has anyone run across any other weapons that are named in Quenya rather than Sindarin? And if not, then does it seem like a major break with lore to name one of our own weapons in Quenya?
    Last edited by MithrilSoul; Feb 27 2009 at 01:59 PM.
    [color=teal]Officer and Co-Founding Member,[/color] [url=http://www.kismetbp.com]Ring of Destiny[/url]
    [color=silver]Gladden server[/color]
    [i][color=yellow]Á auta mornië! i cala tula lennar! ("Flee, darkness! The light comes upon you!")[/color][/i]

Re: Quenya names for weapons?

I don't think it's a lore breaker. In the first age, due to the kin-slaying, Thingol forebade the use of Quenya in his realm so Sindarin became the everyday language, even among the Noldor. Quenya essentially became similar to Latin in our own world, used only by the remnants of the Noldor and only among themselves. If you want to keep within lore, an elf of Lorien or Mirkwood would not speak Quenya. Rivendell or the Grey Havens - it's possible.
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS]"You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81

[/FONT]

I've been coming up with Quenya weapon names myself. Reason being that there are a lot more words available than in Sindarin, and it's easier to come up with cool-sounding names (IMO) that aren't too similar to ones that Tolkien or Turbine already came up with.

As far as the lore goes, I think in general a character from an area with Noldorin or Dunedain influence might plausibly know "some" Quenya, as might just about any character with a scholarly bent. If not, you could still say that the weapon was already named in Quenya, either at its origin or somewhere during its history.
    [CENTER][I][FONT=Garamond]* * *
    [/FONT][/I][FONT=Palatino Linotype]"From without the World, though all things may be forethought in music or foreshown in vision from afar, to those who enter verily into Eä each in its time shall be met at unawares as something new and unforetold."[/FONT]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by BIGeyedBUG View Post
    I've been coming up with Quenya weapon names myself. Reason being that there are a lot more words available than in Sindarin, and it's easier to come up with cool-sounding names (IMO) that aren't too similar to ones that Tolkien or Turbine already came up with.
    Except unfortunately the game doesn't allow special characters, and Quenya makes an incredible use of the ë character as well as various accented characters like á, none of which we are allowed to type in the naming box.

Still, I agree, we have lots of good names to choose from.
    [color=teal]Officer and Co-Founding Member,[/color] [url=http://www.kismetbp.com]Ring of Destiny[/url]
    [color=silver]Gladden server[/color]
    [i][color=yellow]Á auta mornië! i cala tula lennar! ("Flee, darkness! The light comes upon you!")[/color][/i]

Quote Originally Posted by MithrilSoul View Post
    Except unfortunately the game doesn't allow special characters, and Quenya makes an incredible use of the ë character as well as various accented characters like á, none of which we are allowed to type in the naming box.
    /shrug While I agree it'd be cool to be able to perfectly replicate the look of Tolkien's "final" Quenya, it's all just transliteration anyway, afaic.
    [CENTER][I][FONT=Garamond]* * *
    [/FONT][/I][FONT=Palatino Linotype]"From without the World, though all things may be forethought in music or foreshown in vision from afar, to those who enter verily into Eä each in its time shall be met at unawares as something new and unforetold."[/FONT]
    [/CENTER]