We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

who in M.E. could actually wield the One Ring?

I'm curious about everyone's thoughts on this. Who in middle earth (in the timeframe of LoTR) would have the interior power sufficient to wield the One Ring? And by wield, I mean, if they were to have possession of it, they could successfully overthrow Sauron as "Lord of all" type of a thing.

In my thinking:

* for sure: Gandalf and Sauruman (and, theoretically, any of the other wizards in M.E.)
    * possibly: Galadriel, the Balrog (maybe)
    * stretch: Ungoliant/Shelob (more because it's unclear whether they would want to)

What do you all think?
    [color=teal]Officer and Co-Founding Member,[/color] [url=http://www.kismetbp.com]Ring of Destiny[/url]
    [color=silver]Gladden server[/color]
    [i][color=yellow]Á auta mornië! i cala tula lennar! ("Flee, darkness! The light comes upon you!")[/color][/i]

Re: who in M.E. could actually wield the One Ring?

I think anyone who had sufficient "power" or authority to command others could have used the Ring to compel others. I would include Gandalf, Sauruman, Cirdan, Galadriel, Celeborn, Elrond, Elladan, Elrohir, Thranduil, Glorfindel, Galdor, Theoden, Eomer, Eowyn, Aragorn, Denethor, Boromir, Faramir, Imrahil...

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Sauron.

Had to say it!
    Lvl 60 warden, lvl 60 rk, lvl 50 champ, lvl 45 captain, lvl 37 burg, lvl 32 LM, lvl 27 mini.
    R6 WL, r5 reaver, r5 weaver, r4 warg, r4 defiler, r2 BA.
    [COLOR=#808080][I]RIP Nidor of Brandywine, 1970-2012.[/I][/COLOR]

Any of the Istari (basically any member of one of the higher orders--maia, vala, or equivalent).

Any Exile

Elrond (not an Exile, but a descendant of Melian and very learned).

Aragorn (sheer willpower and descent from Melian--he managed to wrest a palantir from Sauron's control in a contest of wills, which says a lot).

Quote Originally Posted by Kosomot View Post
    Aragorn (sheer willpower and descent from Melian--he managed to wrest a palantir from Sauron's control in a contest of wills, which says a lot).
    It does say a lot about Aragorn, as he wasn't your average man, but he wouldn't have the willpower to control the one ring. IIRC the enconuter through the Palantir was stretching Aragorn's limits.
    Last edited by Thalifea; Feb 26 2009 at 05:05 PM.

Theodhelm - Captain | Falawine - Hunter | Coquet - Warden | Junkyard - Stalker
    ~Elendilmir Server~ the [Jewelled Bell] of servers
    ~Misadventurers~

Tom Bombadil would be the only sentient creature in Middle-Earth (besides Sauron, obviously) that would be sufficiently uncorrupted by the ring to wield it with purely good intentions, IMO. Galadriel? Nope. Gandalf? Nope. Elrond? Nope. Aragorn? No way. They all stated that by taking the ring they would eventually fall to its corruptive power.

Tom Bombadil just didn't give a rat's behind about the One Ring (in other words, he was not tempted by it at all). Which probably worked out in the end; I don't think LOTR would have been as interesting if Sauron had gotten the beatdown by some dude in yellow boots with a feather in his cap .
    [COLOR=Red]"Ya'll are brutalizin me!!"[/COLOR]

Kordred from Rohan could, but he'd use it for good, to defeat the enemy!! Yeah, give it to him!!!!
    [CENTER][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=white]Kordred - Champ | Koridian - Hunter | Ainulindir - Minstrel | Korlod - Burgler[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=1][COLOR=deepskyblue][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow]I sense a disturbance in the forums, as if millions of grammar teachers suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=red]Vilya - Angarain Erain[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Selbon1 View Post
    Tom Bombadil would be the only sentient creature in Middle-Earth (besides Sauron, obviously) that would be sufficiently uncorrupted by the ring to wield it with purely good intentions, IMO. Galadriel? Nope. Gandalf? Nope. Elrond? Nope. Aragorn? No way. They all stated that by taking the ring they would eventually fall to its corruptive power.

Tom Bombadil just didn't give a rat's behind about the One Ring (in other words, he was not tempted by it at all). Which probably worked out in the end; I don't think LOTR would have been as interesting if Sauron had gotten the beatdown by some dude in yellow boots with a feather in his cap .
    Doubt it, the ring is only evil and cannot be used in any other way. Plus like it said in the book sauron would eventually defeat bombadil

9. Re: who in M.E. could actually wield the One Ring?

Any of the Istari, Gandalf, and Aragorn and the lords among Elves could overthrow Sauron....TEMPORARILY. But while the Ring exists, Sauron exists. Sauron genuinely feared Aragorn & Co. as they marched on the Black Gates, because he thought that such a bold and foolish attack could only mean that one of them had the Ring, and posed a genuine threat.

However, assuming that someone did overthrow Sauron, it would only be a band-aid on the problem since Sauron's spirit would still exist and the Ringbearer would eventually claim the title of Dark Lord for himself. And eventually Sauron would come back with a huge army to reclaim the Ring for his own. It'd just be a matter of time.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000009263b/01003/signature.png]Arasilion[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Nexxter View Post
    Doubt it, the ring is only evil and cannot be used in any other way. Plus like it said in the book sauron would eventually defeat bombadil
    Have to disagree with you there. The ring could be used for good purposes, but it would eventually corrupt the wearer, forcing them to the "dark side". If the One Ring were only capable of evil, it would never had made the journey to Mt. Doom in the first place. In weaker hands, the ring could spread its evil influence faster, but those of greater constitution (Sam and Frodo) had the ability to withstand the corruption and bend the ring to their will, at least for a little while, therefore allowing the wearer to use it for more mundane (i.e. non-evil) purposes.

As far as Bombadil is concerned, in the context of the OP's question, he is still the only character in the books that would be able to wield the ring without being corrupted. Even Tolkien stated as much, if I remember correctly.
    [COLOR=Red]"Ya'll are brutalizin me!!"[/COLOR]

What about Mordirith and the 9 ring-wraiths?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/08207000000104166/01008/signature.png]Haliadorn[/charsig]

I seem to recall Gandalf saying that he couldn't wield the ring. I also think he implied Tom could, but he was so disinterested in the affairs of ME that if the ring was left with him, he'd likely lose it.

...in the context of the OP's question, he is still the only character in the books that would be able to wield the ring without being corrupted.
    I just want to point out that the OP didn't exclude the corruptible or corrupted from his question.
    [CENTER][I][FONT=Garamond]* * *
    [/FONT][/I][FONT=Palatino Linotype]"From without the World, though all things may be forethought in music or foreshown in vision from afar, to those who enter verily into Eä each in its time shall be met at unawares as something new and unforetold."[/FONT]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by MithrilSoul View Post
    I'm curious about everyone's thoughts on this. Who in middle earth (in the timeframe of LoTR) would have the interior power sufficient to wield the One Ring? And by wield, I mean, if they were to have possession of it, they could successfully overthrow Sauron as "Lord of all" type of a thing.

In my thinking:

* for sure: Gandalf and Sauruman (and, theoretically, any of the other wizards in M.E.)
    * possibly: Galadriel, the Balrog (maybe)
    * stretch: Ungoliant/Shelob (more because it's unclear whether they would want to)

What do you all think?

I peronaly believe no one in Middle Earth would be able to use the ring, "in the long run for good." They might be lead to think they could in the start, but ultimately to fail at one point, or loose hold of it. Even Frodo was at the edge of failing, and the slightest difference may have made that so.

Sauron (the embodiment of destruction) could wield it if he was given a chance. Even not allowing his own minions to keep it, His minions would definatly have no desire to destroy it, so sooner or later it would come to him. Sauron wouldn't even allow a Balrog or any other evil minion grab hold of the ring for themselves, because he would easily then have the power to bring it to himself, ultimatly.

So the answer is, the only solution should be to destroy the One Ring, because Sauron would eventually get a hold of it, because he is bound to the ring. The only way to destroy him, is to destroy the ring.

In theory only if there was an equal force of evil being, having the same level of power that got hold of the ring, Saurons powers and binding to the ring would probably allow him to possess control over that beings body. Same for anyone else who used it. Gollum was drawn to its beauty, but surely was poisoned by its evil. Sauron is the Ring & the Ring is Sauron's. I like to think of Sauron as the Satan of Middle Earth.

So, the answer is noone can use the ring for good, its impossible. Thowing the ring into the fires of Mount Doom doesnt count as it being used. Only as it being destroyed.
    Last edited by MarkusLoTR81; Feb 26 2009 at 11:47 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000146017/signature.png]Midrik[/charsig]

Aragorn wrested control of the Palantir because he was its rightful owner. It was created for benign purposes. The One ring was not. Anyone but Sauron would wield it to do good, but would just replace him in a cycle of tyranny.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/01203000000042f7c/01008/signature.png]Cyneward[/charsig]
    [size=1]Fey he seemed, or the battle-fury of his fathers ran like new fire in his veins,... even as Orome the Great in the battle of the Valar when the world was young. And then all the host of Rohan burst into song, and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them...[/size]

Ohio, where we never have any adventures or do anything unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by Nexxter View Post
    Have to disagree with you there. The ring could be used for good purposes, but it would eventually corrupt the wearer, forcing them to the "dark side". If the One Ring were only capable of evil, it would never had made the journey to Mt. Doom in the first place.
    I think you two are largely arguing semantics. The Ring was evil by design and, given sufficient time, would always result in negative consequences. Yes, the bearer could wield it with good intentions, but this is not quite the same as saying the Ring itself was capable of being used for good purposes. Rather, through their good intentions a Ringbearer might attempt to use it for good purposes, though the outcome would be far from expected. Hence Gandalf's statement:
    Do not tempt me! For I do not wish to become like the Dark Lord himself. Yet the way of the Ring to my heart is by pity, pity for weakness and the desire of strength to do good. Do not tempt me!
    This idea that the Ring could do good was naught but an illusion. Thankfully, the Wise were capable of seeing through this ruse and avoiding the temptation of the Ring. Also, remember that in Tolkien's world, evil typically originates from good, albeit misplaced, intentions. Even the Dark Lords began with good intentions. The notion of evil really began with Morgoth wishing to be like Eru, which ultimately led to his downfall via jealousy, wrath, shame, and vengeance.

As far as who could wield the Ring, I'll agree with most of the names already mentioned in this thread. Those who are good natured and of sufficient power would use the Ring with good intentions and find themselves corrupted into doing evil instead. Those who are evil already would merely use it to supplant the Dark Lord. Finally, Bombadil alone could wield the Ring without any effect, however, caring not for such matters, he would eventually either lose it or cast it away. And, in the end, last of all, he too would fall to Sauron.
    [COLOR=yellowgreen][B]"Pure creation is like a vacation."[/B][/COLOR]
    [INDENT]- Welby of Landroval[/INDENT]

Just to clarify, I did indeed mean powerful enough to wield it but inevitably turn to evil use. As some have pointed out, no creature could ever wield it for good and not become corrupted. But the point being, those internally not strong enough would not even be able to meaningfully wield it. In one of his letters he talks about what "would have" happened to Frodo (after claiming the ring) had Gollum not been there. Basically he says all the nazgul and Sauron himself would have flown to Mt. Doom. If the Nazgul arrived first, they might have pretended to bown down to Frodo but it would all be a show; as soon as Sauron arrived, he would have easily taken the ring from Frodo (even if Frodo tried to use it against him) and that would have been the end of that.

Whereas also in a letter Tolkien mentions that Galadriel clearly *felt* she would have been strong enough to overthrow Sauron and set herself up in his place, but he himself seems unsure about that. The way I see it, if Tolkien was unsure about Galadriel--if she was only borderline "powerful enough"--then no other elf or man in middle earth would have a prayer. Elrond is an interesting figure to consider but in the end...I don't think he had nearly the "power" of Galadriel. If the Glorfindel of Rivendell is the same elf as the Glorfindel of the Silmarillion (who slew a balrog in lone combat), then I would think you might have to put him in the list of possibilities too; but majority opinion now seems to lean in the direction of saying those are two separate elves that just happened to have the same name.
    Last edited by MithrilSoul; Feb 27 2009 at 07:58 AM.
    [color=teal]Officer and Co-Founding Member,[/color] [url=http://www.kismetbp.com]Ring of Destiny[/url]
    [i][color=yellow]Á auta mornië! i cala tula lennar! ("Flee, darkness! The light comes upon you!")[/color][/i]

Didn't Tolkien write a letter dealing with this very subject? I recall reading a discussion on it many years ago on a different Tolkien message board. Reddhawk, maybe you're familiar with it?
    [URL="https://sarahmccabemythopoet.wordpress.com/"][COLOR=#b22222]Falling Toward Mythopoesis[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#ffd700]~[/COLOR] My personal blog.

[URL="https://lotromusic.wordpress.com/"][COLOR=#008080]LOTRO Music[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#ffd700]~[/COLOR] ABCs, guides and resources for the compleat LOTRO musician.

What I was trying to say before, is that anyone could wield it, for intentions of good. But the truth is, the second you wear the ring, the heavier and heavier the burden of evil is upon you. So before you even thought to do good things with it, it would start tempting you to do wrong things. I would imagine things like the desire to easily steal from others, to blackmail, and all sorts of bad things. Also the more you wore it, the easier Sauron would eventually find you. It was a tool of evil that Sauron could use for corruption of friendships / alliances even, as you might clearly see in scenes of the movie. Basically it had a power only Sauron was able to control.

If the question was, could you sneak up on Sauron, with the power of the ring and ultimatly destroy him or take his place, the answer is no. If you even wore the ring in his presence he would be bound to easily get it from you.
    The trick was Frodo was trying so hard not to be tempted to "use" the ring. By use, I mean, and the only way (to wear the ring, for the good he may have wanted to do, using its dark power.) The more he did the more he was spotted, or the more he lost hope. The fellowship played a big role in keeping him on his feet. Without them, he would never had made it all the way. So, another thought is you would never be able to wield it for good, on your own, yet you would have the desire to have it for your own.
    There is really only 2 destinations the ring could have had. Sauron (whether that be instantly or over a long period of time , (or) the destruction in the fires of Mount Doom. - Sauron afterall is an immortal power that can only be destroyed by destruction of the ring)
    Last edited by MarkusLoTR81; Feb 27 2009 at 11:30 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000146017/signature.png]Midrik[/charsig]

ANSWER: FROM TOLKIEN'S OWN MOUTH

Okay went back and actually looked up the letter...(Letter 246).

First, regarding Frodo trying to claim the ring and use it against Sauron:

"In any case a confrontation of Frodo and Sauron would have soon taken place, if the Ring was intact. Its result was inevitable. Frodo would have been utterly overthrown: crushed to dust, or preserved in torment as a gibbering slave."

Now, how about others? Maybe Aragorn?

"In his [Sauron's] actual presence none but a very few of equal stature could have hoped to withhold it from him. Of 'mortals' no one, not even Aragorn.

But now we make some progress in our search.

"Of the others only Gandalf might be expected to master him--being an emissary of the Powers and a creature of the same order, an immortal spirit taking visible form." And as for the results: "One can imagine the scene in which Gandalf, say, was placed in such a position. It would be a delicate balance. On one side the true allegiance of the Ring to Sauron; on the other superior strength because Sauron was not actually in possession, and perhaps also because he was weakened by long corruption and expenditure of will in dominating inferiors. If Gandalf proved the victor, the result would have been for Sauron the same as the destruction of the Ring; for him it would have been destroyed, taken forever. But the Ring and all its works would have endured. It would have been the master in the end.

And then some shocking words!

"Gandalf as Ring-Lord would have been far worse than Sauron. He would have remained 'righteous,' but self-righteous. He would have continued to rule and order things for 'good,' and the benefit of subjects according to his wisdom (which was and would have remained great)." Which is then followed a handwritten note in the margin: "Thus while Sauron multiplied [illegible word] evil, he left 'good' clearly distinguishable from it. Gandalf would have made good detestable and seem evil."

Wow.

Okay, so that establishes at least one person. Now, on to the topic of this letter, Galadriel, and how she (and others) might differ in an attempted confrontation with Sauron:

"In the Mirror of Galadriel, it appears Galadriel conceived of herself as capable of wielding the Ring and supplanting the Dark Lord. If so, so also were the other guardians of the Three, especially Elrond. But this is another matter.... In any case Elrond or Galadriel would have proceeded in the policy now adopted by Sauron: they would have built up an empire with great and absolutely subservient generals and armies and engines of war, until they could challenge Sauron and destroy him by force. Confrontation with Sauron alone, unaided, self to self, was not contemplated."

So there you go. Clearly Gandalf was a rival, who at least theoretically could challenge Sauron for mastery of the ring directly. As for the elves, a few among them I think Tolkien considers as having at least a small chance, but only indirectly by building up a massive war machine that could utterly lay waste to Mordor and seemingly destroy Sauron in the process. Interesting.
    Last edited by MithrilSoul; Feb 27 2009 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MithrilSoul View Post
    ANSWER: FROM TOLKIEN'S OWN MOUTH

<snip>

So there you go. Clearly Gandalf was a rival, who at least theoretically could challenge Sauron for mastery of the ring directly. As for the elves, a few among them I think Tolkien considers as having at least a small chance, but only indirectly by building up a massive war machine that could utterly lay waste to Mordor and seemingly destroy Sauron in the process. Interesting.
    Very interesting, TY for the info.... so it would seem that very few could actually face Sauron face-to-face with any hope of overcoming him--even if they were in possession of the Ring (Gandalf, as mentioned, perhaps Saruman (but, I think, with a lower chance of success than Gandalf).. and Durin's Bane (but with, IMO, an even lower chance of success than Gandalf or Saruman).

Quote Originally Posted by Kosomot View Post
    Very interesting, TY for the info.... so it would seem that very few could actually face Sauron face-to-face with any hope of overcoming him--even if they were in possession of the Ring (Gandalf, as mentioned, perhaps Saruman (but, I think, with a lower chance of success than Gandalf).. and Durin's Bane (but with, IMO, an even lower chance of success than Gandalf or Saruman).
    The letter said "only Gandalf" so no, not even Saruman could have defeated Sauron face to face.
    [URL="https://sarahmccabemythopoet.wordpress.com/"][COLOR=#b22222]Falling Toward Mythopoesis[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#ffd700]~[/COLOR] My personal blog.

[URL="https://lotromusic.wordpress.com/"][COLOR=#008080]LOTRO Music[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#ffd700]~[/COLOR] ABCs, guides and resources for the compleat LOTRO musician.

It also depends on what you mean by "wield" -- Frodo and Sam both wielded the ring at one point or another and drew, if not power than certainly the semblance of power, from it. Frodo to command Gollum, Sam to defeat the orcs in Cirith Ungol. But in the end the ring conquered Frodo, and Sam simply rejected it out of hand when he realized he was "getting above himself."

-The Gneech
    [I]Premium content since 2010.[/I]
    [url=http://www.valarguild.org]Valar Guild: Lore Monkeys and Proud of It[/url]
    [url=http://my.lotro.com/thegneech/][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000001149ed/01005/signature.png]Honorary Shirriff Maedhroc Thornhollow[/charsig][/url]
    [url=http://www.gneech.com]Gneech.com[/url] - My writing, comics, and art.

24. Re: who in M.E. could actually wield the One Ring?

Quote Originally Posted by thegneech View Post
    and Sam simply rejected it out of hand when he realized he was "getting above himself."

-The Gneech
    Yet another reason why Sam is my favorite character.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000009263b/01003/signature.png]Arasilion[/charsig]

Durin's Bane (or any other Balrog) could also likely defeat Sauron if it wielded the ring. They both were former Maiar of Aule and while Sauron was Morgoth's liuetenant (sp), the Balrog's were Morgoth's personal guard, his crack troops. So in a one on one battle, Sauron, the military mastermind, would fall to the Balrog, the fearsome soldier.

e.h.b
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000000a3c89/01001/signature.png]Eroin[/charsig]
    and the ever watchful warg, waiting from the shadows, fear the name of Bagulrat.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast