We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 25 of 104

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Post Runes thoughout Middle-Earth

    There are several occasions throughout Middle-Earth where you come across runes written on items. Tolkien created a system of runes based upon the Elder Futhark language first appearing in Sweden around 200 AD, although altered them for his works for the dwarvish language.

    Elder Futhark was the first written language of the Scandinavia area, in which each symbol represented an idea rather than a sound in itself. Putting the runes together offers an expression of a particular communication.

    What runic symbols have you found throughout the Lotro Middle-Earth? Any in particular that were suggestive and meaningful? I'll start this thread with the following image of the rez circle. The first and final runes are Tolkien, but the center two certainly are appropriate based upon the Elder Futhark alphabet:

    1. Tolkien
    2. Uruz (strength/determination)
    3. Hagalaz (pain/suffering)
    4. Tolkien

    [B]Magnarr [/B] - Lvl 85 Champion
    Leader, United Races (Vilya server)
    Cofounder and Leader, Vilya Alliance coalition of kinships
    [url]www.UnitedRaces.net[/url] [url]www.VilyaAlliance.com[/url]

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ohio, where we never have any adventures or do anything unexpected
    Posts
    4,646

    Re: Runes thoughout Middle-Earth

    Quote Originally Posted by Magnarr View Post
    The first and final runes are Tolkien, but the center two certainly are appropriate based upon the Elder Futhark alphabet:

    1. Tolkien
    2. Uruz (strength/determination)
    3. Hagalaz (pain/suffering)
    4. Tolkien
    Actually, all 4 runes are part of Tolkien's Cirth. These runes belong to the alphabet known as Angerthas Daeron and are the runes used to represent Sindarin. The runes in the picture translate as "kaew":



    The runic 'k' is actually meant to represent a Sindarin 'c', however the elvish 'c' is almost always pronounced as a 'k'. With this in mind, the letters "kaew" would actually appear in Sindarin as "caew". So, what does this mean?

    Well, "caew" can be used to refer to a resting-place, which seems particularly apt given that the stone circle is where you go to rest after retreating from battle.

    Although it is likely just a coincidence, I have also noticed that if you take the phonetic representation of this word ("kaew") and read it backwards, you get "weak", which is exactly what you are after retreating.
    [COLOR=yellowgreen][B]"Pure creation is like a vacation."[/B][/COLOR]
    [INDENT]- Welby of Landroval[/INDENT]

  3. #3

    Re: Runes thoughout Middle-Earth

    Interesting, I was hoping someone would post something like this. I always wondered what the Tolkien-based intention of those runes were.
    [B]Magnarr [/B] - Lvl 85 Champion
    Leader, United Races (Vilya server)
    Cofounder and Leader, Vilya Alliance coalition of kinships
    [url]www.UnitedRaces.net[/url] [url]www.VilyaAlliance.com[/url]

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Proud Cape Resident
    Posts
    1,651

    Re: Runes thoughout Middle-Earth

    In Moria, above the 21st Hall, in the Chamber of Mazarbul, theres a nice coffin/table, with an inscription on its cover.

    Now you got me curious to see what it says. I've gone through the session play so I know the story of that particular area But the runes themselves might even add an extra "touch" to things.

    I'll see if I can get a screenshot later.
    This Space Is Reserved.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    464

    Re: Runes thoughout Middle-Earth

    Quote Originally Posted by Mykkul View Post
    In Moria, above the 21st Hall, in the Chamber of Mazarbul, theres a nice coffin/table, with an inscription on its cover.

    Now you got me curious to see what it says. I've gone through the session play so I know the story of that particular area But the runes themselves might even add an extra "touch" to things.

    I'll see if I can get a screenshot later.
    According to the book, they read,
    "Balin son of Fundin
    Lord of Moria"

    Whether or not the game has the same translation, I'm not sure. However, I think that it is most likely the same.
    [COLOR="Red"][I][CENTER]Dwoir - 65 - Guardian
    Halfric - 65 - Warden
    Swifty and Hammo - Arkenstone
    [/CENTER][/I][/COLOR]

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ohio, where we never have any adventures or do anything unexpected
    Posts
    4,646

    Re: Runes thoughout Middle-Earth

    Quote Originally Posted by Mykkul View Post
    In Moria, above the 21st Hall, in the Chamber of Mazarbul, theres a nice coffin/table, with an inscription on its cover.

    Now you got me curious to see what it says. I've gone through the session play so I know the story of that particular area But the runes themselves might even add an extra "touch" to things.

    I'll see if I can get a screenshot later.
    You're referring to Balin's Tomb, whose inscription is taken directly from the books.

    Here I am standing before it:



    And here is how it appears in the books, along with my translation:



    The runes above the red letters represent Khuzdul and are written in Angerthas Moria, while the runes above the blue letters represent English (Westron/Common Speech) and are written in Angerthas Erebor. The bottom runes are a common translation of the upper runes. As you can see, the uppers runes translate as:

    "BALIN
    FUNDINUL
    UZBADKHAZADDÛMU"

    The lower runes represent the common translation of this:

    "BALIN SON OF FUNDIN LORD OF MORIA"


    Keep in mind that the runes represent sounds. That is why you see "SUN" in place of "SON" and "OV" in place of "OF".
    [COLOR=yellowgreen][B]"Pure creation is like a vacation."[/B][/COLOR]
    [INDENT]- Welby of Landroval[/INDENT]

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ohio, where we never have any adventures or do anything unexpected
    Posts
    4,646

    Re: Runes thoughout Middle-Earth

    * SPOILER WARNING *


    This post describes in great detail an artifact located in Moria. This item sits openly exposed in the Great Delving and doesn't play any significant role in the story, but if you'd rather search for it on your own, you'll want to avoid reading this. I will warn you, however, that it is very easy to pass by this item without realizing what it really is. Still, if you'd prefer to discover this artifact on your own, click the link below to skip the following 4 posts (including this one), which all describe the item:

    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?p=3417437










































    Here's another batch of runes I've translated. First and foremost, this discovery belongs to Hitorichan of Landroval. I was merely asked to help translate the runes as described in Hitorichan's story, "Sharliana's Geode". You've likely seen this amazing find in The Great Delving (at 8.4S, 112.9W), but may never have realized what it was. Well, after examining it for quite sometime, both Sharliana (Hitorichan) and I concluded that it was, in fact, a globe of Arda.





    This began to become apparent after I translated the following runes:





    Realizing that these cirth spelled out the name of the ocean Belegaer, we realized that we were looking at something quite incredible. Soon, we found several other runes as we examined the geode from other angles. All in all, we uncovered the names of several lands and kingdoms. There was even a large blue symbol that Sharliana realized was a marker indicating the location of Moria.





    We also realized that the backside of the geode contained a compass rose. Additionally, the base contained a similar compass that was aligned with the minimap.

    Last edited by Reddhawk; Feb 23 2009 at 07:52 PM.
    [COLOR=yellowgreen][B]"Pure creation is like a vacation."[/B][/COLOR]
    [INDENT]- Welby of Landroval[/INDENT]

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1

    Re: Runes thoughout Middle-Earth

    Quote Originally Posted by Reddhawk View Post
    Actually, all 4 runes are part of Tolkien's Cirth. These runes belong to the alphabet known as Angerthas Daeron and are the runes used to represent Sindarin. The runes in the picture translate as "kaew":



    The runic 'k' is actually meant to represent a Sindarin 'c', however the elvish 'c' is almost always pronounced as a 'k'. With this in mind, the letters "kaew" would actually appear in Sindarin as "caew". So, what does this mean?

    Well, "caew" can be used to refer to a resting-place, which seems particularly apt given that the stone circle is where you go to rest after retreating from battle.

    Although it is likely just a coincidence, I have also noticed that if you take the phonetic representation of this word ("kaew") and read it backwards, you get "weak", which is exactly what you are after retreating.
    The word "Kaew" is phonetically similar to estonian "kaev" which means "water well" in english.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    142

    Re: Runes thoughout Middle-Earth

    This thread is awesome, and proves why dwarves are awesome too. I must of ran past that globe not even knowing it was a globe. Probably just thought it was a sculptor.

    Made reading the forums at 02:39 am so worth it!
    [B][COLOR="#FF0000"]My Youtube:[/COLOR][/B] [url]http://www.youtube.com/user/SmithianKingdom[/url]
    [b]Thread:[/b] Eldar server PvE progression Volume III-[url]http://tinyurl.com/v3eldar[/url]
    [b]Event:[/b] Eldar's Kinship knock-out 2008-[url]http://tinyurl.com/6l87shn[/url]

  10. #10

    Re: Runes thoughout Middle-Earth



    http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Fifth_Anniversary_Cloak


    This cloak was a quest reward for the 5th Anniversary festival. It appears to say "LEBEN".

    In 'Tolkien - Artist and Illustrator' [5] a Noldorin sentence is found on Thrór's Map which agrees well with numerals as found in the Etymologies. The sentence reads lheben teil brann i annon ar neledh neledhi gar godrebh, apparently the (free) translation of 'five feet high the door and three may walk abreast'.

    So, these symbols are probably meant to be the elvish word for "five".

    Source for numeric info: http://www.phy.duke.edu/~trenk/elvish/numerals.html

    BTW, I'm very interested in any other in-game images with runes or tengwar. And I'd love some help translating them. See http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Category:Translations for the ones I've added so far (many from this thread of course).
    [CENTER] [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/landroval/mosby/"][COLOR=cyan]Mosby[/COLOR][/URL], Founder of [URL="http://www.thepalantiri.net"][COLOR=gold]The Palantíri[/COLOR][/URL] kinship (Landroval) - [URL="http://lotro-charts.tumblr.com/"]LotRO Charts Tumblr[/URL] - [URL="https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Category:Translations"]Runes & Translations[/URL]

    [COLOR=Silver][I]As glides in seas the shark, Rides Mosby through green dark.[/I] -Melville[/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,269

    Re: Runes thoughout Middle-Earth

    Quote Originally Posted by Beleg View Post


    http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Fifth_Anniversary_Cloak


    This cloak was a quest reward for the 5th Anniversary festival. It appears to say "LEBEN".

    In 'Tolkien - Artist and Illustrator' [5] a Noldorin sentence is found on Thrór's Map which agrees well with numerals as found in the Etymologies. The sentence reads lheben teil brann i annon ar neledh neledhi gar godrebh, apparently the (free) translation of 'five feet high the door and three may walk abreast'.

    So, these symbols are probably meant to be the elvish word for "five".

    Source for numeric info: http://www.phy.duke.edu/~trenk/elvish/numerals.html

    BTW, I'm very interested in any other in-game images with runes or tengwar. And I'd love some help translating them. See http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Category:Translations for the ones I've added so far (many from this thread of course).
    Lebennin - the Land of Five Waters (Streams/Rivers) in Gondor, so yes it would be Five
    Last edited by Silchas; May 04 2012 at 02:14 PM.
    Tin foil hats will be big this season - Coco Chanel

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload