We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question Looking for someone with Tengwar skills

I would like to create a memory of my wife who passed away a few weeks ago. The sentence I have in mind I have transcribed with an online transcriber tool, but I want to double check that this is correct. It is a variation on Aragorn's quote "Arwen vanimelda, namárië!" with the name replaced with Eruanna (which is a translation of Anne I found on the web - is this correct?).

Would very much appreciate any approvals, or suggestions for correction.

This is what I have created with the tool:
    in my thoughts and in my dreams they´re always in my mind
    these songs of hobbits, dwarves and men and elves
    come close your eyes
    you can see them, too - Blind Guardian, Bards tale

I'm sorry for your loss, Belamanth This sounds like a lovely tribute to your wife. I took a very basic Tengwar class last year so I thought I'd take a look at this, but there may well be others who have more knowledge who can contribute. I understand that there are a few different 'modes' for writing in Tengwar, and they're all valid, so while this looks different to how I've been taught to write it, it's still right. But the things I say below are corrections for the mode that you're writing in. I think.

So! First, the actual name. Usually to translate a name into Elvish you'd go by the meaning - with Anne's meaning being 'grace', it looks like Eruanna would be a good translation (I used elfdict.com for this. It has Eruanna as 'gift of God' in Quenya, so, the same idea)

For the text itself, the first word looks right. The second word to me reads like 'wanimelha' - the final tengwa looks like the 'lh' one to me. So I think the first character should change to this: and the final one should be replaced with these, the characters for 'l' and 'd', with the 'a' over the 'd': (though they should sit much lower on the text line than that).

For 'namarie', if both 'a's in the word are pronounced the same, which I think they are, then the line that the second one is sitting over should probably be short, like this:

Again, I'm definitely not an expert, so you may want to wait a little while and see if anyone wants to correct me!
    Araewenel, Elimraen, Celebnel, @AraeElimraen

My condolences for your loss.
    This a beautiful idea to remember her by.

As it is, that's actually a good transcription, for an online tool.
    As for the name... Anne ultimately comes from the Hebrew name ?????? (Channah -> Hannah -> Anna -> Anne). It means 'favour, grace', and as such, you can translate it simply as Anna, meaning 'gift'.
    Another word you could use is Lissë, 'sweet', but it can be used metaphorically for 'grace'.
    Eruanna, God-gift, is also 'grace', though.

So it's really up to you: Anna, Eruanna, Lissë. All fit the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by EnelyaMorna View Post
    For the text itself, the first word looks right. The second word to me reads like 'wanimelha' - the final tengwa looks like the 'lh' one to me.
    Enelya, that tengwa is 'lh', yes... in Sindarin tengwar mode. In Quenya mode, it's 'ld' (name of the tengwa is alda, which illustrates the point).
    Same goes for your suggestion of changing vala into ampa.
    Omniglot has a good, quick reference for the sound differences between the two, but it doesn't touch the Mode of Beleriand...which is a full-writing mode for Sindarin:
    http://www.omniglot.com/writing/tengwar.htm

Quote Originally Posted by EnelyaMorna View Post
    For 'namarie', if both 'a's in the word are pronounced the same-
    The latter 'a' is accented, denoting that it's long: na-maa-rie, rather than na-ma-rie.
    Last edited by Daeross; Sep 02 2016 at 10:55 AM.

Ok, thanks Daeross! When I mentioned the modes I was thinking of the placement of the vowels, I'd either forgotten or never known that the tengwar were different too. And I guess the pronunciation guides I've read have just been Sindarin ones, I just hadn't noticed. Oops. Sorry if I complicated things, Belamanth!
    Araewenel, Elimraen, Celebnel, @AraeElimraen

Thank you all for your helpful input! So from what I gather the "vanimelda, namárië!" is correct as depicted in my first post?

As for the name, I have found the word "Raina" for "Grace" on a name translator site - also ok? I like the sound of it at least.

Using the name Raina on the transcriber tool, I have created this:

I want to be really sure to get it right, because the final result will be a tattoo, so no chance of changing it later... :-)

edit: to give credit were it is due, this is the tool I used: https://www.tecendil.com/
    Last edited by BelamanthDE; Sep 02 2016 at 05:41 PM.
    come close your eyes

Quote Originally Posted by BelamanthDE View Post
    -the "vanimelda, namárië!" is correct as depicted in my first post?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by BelamanthDE View Post
    As for the name, I have found the word "Raina" for "Grace" on a name translator site - also ok? I like the sound of it at least.
    'Raina' can be translated as 'grace' only by the broadest possible sense. It's an adjective, with two distinctly different meanings: (1) "nettled, enlaced" and (2) "smiling, gracious, sweetfaced".

If you want to try synonyms, see what Quenya has to offer for 'grace', I suggest turning to Parf Edhellen:
    https://www.elfdict.com/w/grace

Thanks again.

Here is the final result:

I am going to go with Raina, because I like the second meaning you mentioned: "gracious, smiling". It's fitting, free of religious connotations, and, as her maiden name was "Fröhlich" (German for "Happy"), it is for me definitely the better choice.

Thanks to dreamingfifi from realelvish.net, who caught a mistake in the first transcription on the diphtong ai , I now have the correct spelling. And here I have found a better transcriber, which was able to produce the correct spelling: http://www.jrrvf.com/~glaemscrafu/en...aemscribe.html

So thanks once again, now I just need to get this applied to my arm....
    come close your eyes