We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Lord of the Rings Research paper

Hey guys

I am doing my senior year high school research paper on the lore breaks of the Hobbit/LotR, and I was wondering if I could have your guy's help in defining some terms, and maybe coming up with a good list of Lore breaks to investigate in the Hobbit/LotR movies.

That being said, could someone define "Lore" and "canon", its hard coming up with a good definition that makes sense for non-Tolkien fans.
    I was already considering 2 lore-breaks, the Witch King lore-break in the Hobbit films, and the "lets take the Ring to Osgiliath" from the Lord of the Rings.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Chrisandir, man Captain 100 | Raxus dwarf Guardian 51 | Chrorin dwarf Hunter 30 | Strillo hobbit Burglar 3 | Butche man Champion 29 |
    | Falaminianteraglith dwarf Runekeeper 20 | Randu man Lore-master 17 | Nafthali woman Warden 12 |

I can't help directly, but I asked Google and found a few links to websites that might have info for you

http://www.theonering.com/complete-list-of-film-changes
    http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Tolkien_v...and_Screenplay (scroll down for links)
    http://gary.appenzeller.net/TheHobbitDiff.htm

Try Googling "Lotr movies vs books"
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

The sites Silmelin linked seem to be fairly accurate as far as they go.

As to what is accepted as canon for Tolkien's universe, that's an impossible question to answer. There are almost as many different opinions as the are sources to draw from. It can vary from just the Lord of the Rings, to everything written by Tolkien which concerns Middle-earth. Some would seek to include the Films and even this computer game we play as a type of canon, a modernising of the story I guess.

Part of the problem is that Tolkien kept enlarging and refining his vision for Middle-earth throughout his lifetime. This is very apparent to anyone who has read Unfinished Tales or The History of Middle-earth. Tolkien was never satisfied with his creations, he kept changing his mind right up until his death.

Most people I think would say The Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit and the Silmarillion are the only works that can be truly considered to be canon, but even then there are many contradictions between events in those three works. Many people (myself included) don't take the Hobbit literally. The reason for this is that Tolkien never really considered the book as a commercial endeavour, he wrote it for his children and was only persuaded to submit it for publication after several friends read it. Many of Tolkien's themes for his imaginary world were not yet fully formed at the time he wrote the Hobbit, and many things he simplified as the novel was written as a children's book.

After the publication of the Lord of the Rings Tolkien actually rewrote some parts of the Hobbit as they clearly contradicted some of what the later work was saying. I have always been of the opinion that if Tolkien had the time he would very much have liked to rewrite the Hobbit from beginning to end, keeping the story pretty much the same I might add, just changing a lot of details for the sake of consistency.

Some would exclude the Silmarillion from canon as it was published posthumously, and edited by his son Christopher. I personally think it belongs as a canonical work because it is still JRR Tolkien's words and to be honest I think Christopher Tolkien understood his fathers mind more than probably anyone else with the possible exception of Edith Tolkien, the professor's wife. There are still a number of inconsistencies of course but I would certainly consider it a far more reliable source than the Hobbit.

So there you have it, only my opinion of course, but I'd say the Lord of the Rings and the Silmarillion are without doubt canonical, with the Hobbit, story-wise at least, just squeezing in.