We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,515

    Tengwar and Quenya help? :)

    I need something written in Tengwar but I know nothing about any elvish at all, but I found a word in a Quenya dictionary and then I used a website I found (http://tengwar.art.pl/tengwar/ott/english.php) to turn it into Tengwar. Could someone perhaps help me check so the elvish and tengwar is correct? It is to be carved and will cost quite a bit so I don't want to get it wrong


    What does the image above really say, and what does it mean?
    Last edited by Silmelin; Dec 10 2014 at 01:21 AM.
    ;) [COLOR="#9999ff"]“There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb[/COLOR]

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sunny SoCal, USA
    Posts
    6,267
    I am no expert at tengwar or Quenya, but thought this would be a fun exercise so gave it a go.

    Tengwar source: http://quenya101.com/elvish-course/t.../#TengwarChart

    Letters from that source: na-r -- que -- li -- on (( -- to separate syllables))

    Ambar Eldaron for quick Quenya look up. Narquelion: noun, fire-fading, autumn

    So it looks right. The only thing I am unsure about are the vowels. As my source says: vowels when they come alone, they are supported by a short line if the vowel is short, or by a long line if the vowel is long. While the 'o' does not come alone it does come before the 'n' so it would be incorrect to put it over the 'n'. I *think* Tolkien marked all of his long vowels with the accent mark and if that is what he did here, then it is correct.


    But as I said, I am no expert, and hopefully someone else here can take a look and double check.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/dgoqrr.jpg[/IMG]
    RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle[B]
    Landroval[/B]: [SIZE=1]LAERLIN ([URL="http://tinyurl.com/laerlin"]Bio + Drawings[/URL]) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND ([URL="http://tinyurl.com/aethelind"]Bio + Drawing[/URL]) • NETHAEL[/SIZE][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://tinyurl.com/mnwbbbq"]Make LOTRO Housing Fun & Profitable![/URL] • [URL="http://tinyurl.com/m33b8be"]New Dye Color Suggestions![/URL][/CENTER]

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,515
    Quote Originally Posted by Laire View Post
    I am no expert at tengwar or Quenya, but thought this would be a fun exercise so gave it a go.

    Tengwar source: http://quenya101.com/elvish-course/t.../#TengwarChart

    Letters from that source: na-r -- que -- li -- on (( -- to separate syllables))

    Ambar Eldaron for quick Quenya look up. Narquelion: noun, fire-fading, autumn

    So it looks right. The only thing I am unsure about are the vowels. As my source says: vowels when they come alone, they are supported by a short line if the vowel is short, or by a long line if the vowel is long. While the 'o' does not come alone it does come before the 'n' so it would be incorrect to put it over the 'n'. I *think* Tolkien marked all of his long vowels with the accent mark and if that is what he did here, then it is correct.


    But as I said, I am no expert, and hopefully someone else here can take a look and double check.
    Thank you so much for looking it over for me, Laire!
    Tengwar looks very very beautiful , but I know nothing of it's workings
    ;) [COLOR="#9999ff"]“There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb[/COLOR]

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Forod orchall
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by Silmelin View Post
    I need something written in Tengwar but I know nothing about any elvish at all, but I found a word in a Quenya dictionary and then I used a website I found (http://tengwar.art.pl/tengwar/ott/english.php) to turn it into Tengwar. Could someone perhaps help me check so the elvish and tengwar is correct? It is to be carved and will cost quite a bit so I don't want to get it wrong


    What does the image above really say, and what does it mean?
    Narquelion is correct (autumn). I see no problem with the vowels as this is one legitimate way of spelling it among several, and it looks clean.

    What are you carving it on? Good luck

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,515
    Quote Originally Posted by Herwegur View Post
    Narquelion is correct (autumn). I see no problem with the vowels as this is one legitimate way of spelling it among several, and it looks clean.

    What are you carving it on? Good luck
    Thank you, Herwegur!

    I'm having a music instrument made for me, and this will hopefully be carved on it!
    ;) [COLOR="#9999ff"]“There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb[/COLOR]

  6. #6
    I'm no expert but have several books regarding translations of Sindarin and Quenya. The information I can find translates this to "sun-fading, the tenth month of the year" rather than the season of Autumn. Just my two cents before you have it carved. and I'll admit, I have more experience with Sindarin than Quenya.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload