We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bowling Green, Ohio
    Posts
    4,467

    Exclamation New Tolkien Book, not Middle-Earth related.

    The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún

    http://www.thebookseller.com/news/73781-page.html


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: New Tolkien Book, not Middle-Earth related.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,714

    Re: New Tolkien Book, not Middle-Earth related.

    Sweet! More stuff to read!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    163

    Re: New Tolkien Book, not Middle-Earth related.

    I think you want to say NEWLY AVAILABLE Tolkien book as this was written in 1920s and just now widely published.
    [LEFT][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000001a997d/01008/signature.png]Kornbred[/charsig][/LEFT]

  5. #5

    Re: New Tolkien Book, not Middle-Earth related.

    Quote Originally Posted by timguibs View Post
    I think you want to say NEWLY AVAILABLE Tolkien book as this was written in 1920s and just now widely published.
    Really....you mean he didn't just write it? I mean...just because he's been dead since 1973...
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/wK9A7aa.png[/IMG]

    [SIZE=1][B][COLOR=white]75[/COLOR][/B] Fourohfour | [B][COLOR=white]75[/COLOR][/B] Artemedis | [COLOR=Blue][B]60[/B][/COLOR] Whiskeytango Foxtrot | [B][COLOR=#00ca00]50[/COLOR][/B] Mistah Boombastic | [B][COLOR=#00ca00]56[/COLOR][/B] Appetizer | [B][COLOR=#a7a7a7]25[/COLOR][/B] Aggromi | [B][COLOR=blue]61[/COLOR][/B] Onepointtwentyone Gigawatts [/SIZE] [/CENTER]

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    298

    Re: New Tolkien Book, not Middle-Earth related.

    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Utopia View Post
    Really....you mean he didn't just write it? I mean...just because he's been dead since 1973...
    Tupac is still putting out albums so...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000013c295/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Falathlorn
    Posts
    574

    Re: New Tolkien Book, not Middle-Earth related.

    I can't say I'm excited about this. I've read the Silmarillion (several times) and am reading the Children of Hurin (both books edited by Christopher Tolkien from his father's notes). Neither book is as good a read as LOTR due to the professors death prior to finishing them.

    How much more $ can C. Tolkien nurse out of his fathers notes?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000012d6/01003/signature.png]Ancaliman[/charsig]

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    635

    Re: New Tolkien Book, not Middle-Earth related.

    Quote Originally Posted by DarthAncaliman View Post
    I can't say I'm excited about this. I've read the Silmarillion (several times) and am reading the Children of Hurin (both books edited by Christopher Tolkien from his father's notes). Neither book is as good a read as LOTR due to the professors death prior to finishing them.

    How much more $ can C. Tolkien nurse out of his fathers notes?
    Yeah, I just finished reading Children of Hurin and found it wanting....
    [color=white]Tikrocks 65 Rune-Keeper (Elendilmir)[/color]
    [color=orange]Tikala 65 Warden / Galliano 59 LM / Tikbee 55 HNT / Tikapitan 50 Cappy / Aaranth 40 Champ / Daegarun 35 GRD / Elluria 28 MIN[/color]
    [color=gold]Rune-Keepers go[/color] [color=white]Zap! Zap! Kapow![/color] [size=1](at least until the sound effects were changed.)[/size]

  9. #9

    Re: New Tolkien Book, not Middle-Earth related.

    Quote Originally Posted by elm3 View Post
    Tupac is still putting out albums so...
    Well yeah...but then according to some he's shackin up with Elivis and Jimmy Hoffa.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/wK9A7aa.png[/IMG]

    [SIZE=1][B][COLOR=white]75[/COLOR][/B] Fourohfour | [B][COLOR=white]75[/COLOR][/B] Artemedis | [COLOR=Blue][B]60[/B][/COLOR] Whiskeytango Foxtrot | [B][COLOR=#00ca00]50[/COLOR][/B] Mistah Boombastic | [B][COLOR=#00ca00]56[/COLOR][/B] Appetizer | [B][COLOR=#a7a7a7]25[/COLOR][/B] Aggromi | [B][COLOR=blue]61[/COLOR][/B] Onepointtwentyone Gigawatts [/SIZE] [/CENTER]

  10. Re: New Tolkien Book, not Middle-Earth related.

    How much more $ can C. Tolkien nurse out of his fathers notes?
    If Christopher was in it for the money, he would have lisenced out The Silmarillion to every Tom, Dick, and Harry gaming/movie studio that came around. Give the man the benefit of the doubt. He's publishing these so that Tolkien fans can have something to read.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000009263b/01003/signature.png]Arasilion[/charsig]

  11. #11

    Re: New Tolkien Book, not Middle-Earth related.

    Quote Originally Posted by elm3 View Post
    Tupac is still putting out albums so...

    So is Jimi Hendrix.
    Turduckenshak - Rank 12 Warleader, Maelefiel - Rank 11 Weaver, Skrotgash - Rank 10 BA, Heartworm - Rank 11 Stalker

    Assorted Level 100 Freeps I have no interest in playing anymore.

  12. #12

    Re: New Tolkien Book, not Middle-Earth related.

    One thing I've noticed about books published after an author's death is that they usually are not very good. There's usually a reason the author didn't submit it for publishing. Sometimes it's because they were trying something new that they hadn't gotten a handle on yet and other times is just plain not finished.

    One glaring exception is The Garden of Eden written by Hemingway but not published until the 80's. It's really fantastic and certainly some of his best writing. Problem is, it was not finished, so the editor's tacked on the last chapter to give a resolution. It's so obviously not Hemingway and it's not good, but the rest of the book is and a must read for Hemingway fans.

    Hopefully this one will just be unfinished and not unpublished because the author hadn't mastered the content yet. Green hills of Africa is an example of the latter. It's not even clear to me that Hemingway ever meant it to be published to begin with because it reads more like a journal than a book.
    Last edited by hamletthunktoomuch; Jan 08 2009 at 02:11 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000232e64/signature.png]Fidder[/charsig]

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bowling Green, Ohio
    Posts
    4,467

    Re: New Tolkien Book, not Middle-Earth related.

    So is Pink Floyd.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    6,909

    Re: New Tolkien Book, not Middle-Earth related.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arasilion View Post
    If Christopher was in it for the money, he would have lisenced out The Silmarillion to every Tom, Dick, and Harry gaming/movie studio that came around. Give the man the benefit of the doubt. He's publishing these so that Tolkien fans can have something to read.
    Actually I'd say it's more of a supply and demand thing...what can you get more out of, artificially holding back on things to raise the price, or to go all willy-nilly and release it to everyone and their brother?
    Give a guy a pound of gold...he'll complain about how heavy it is.
    Enmity of Forum Trolls: 106/5000 Of the Egaads clan


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The Megadebacleopolis known as Houston
    Posts
    2,019

    Re: New Tolkien Book, not Middle-Earth related.

    most excellent, I shall be reading this

    Children of Hurin was not on par with The Hobbit or LOTR, but it was a good read nonetheless... much darker, which I thought was interesting. I should read it again, as I only read it once when it came out 2 - 3 years ago.

    EDIT: I'd like to find more fantasy to read, and the little I have dabbled in outside of Tolkien has just been... missing something, I guess, to keep me interested. Although, I do hear our very own Berephorn is quite the author, so perhaps I shall look further into this!
    [center] --> [url="http://cota.guildportal.com"]Champions of the Ages[/url] <-- [/center]
    [center][url="http://my.lotro.com/character/firefoot/gonzard/"][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000004acac/01008/signature.png]Gonzard[/charsig][/url]
    Gonzodor, Gonzorian, Gonzoric, others -- [color=green][b]Founder and Lifer in Middle Earth[/b][/color][/center]

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    635

    Re: New Tolkien Book, not Middle-Earth related.

    Quote Originally Posted by DrGonzo403 View Post
    most excellent, I shall be reading this

    Children of Hurin was not on par with The Hobbit or LOTR, but it was a good read nonetheless... much darker, which I thought was interesting. I should read it again, as I only read it once when it came out 2 - 3 years ago.

    EDIT: I'd like to find more fantasy to read, and the little I have dabbled in outside of Tolkien has just been... missing something, I guess, to keep me interested. Although, I do hear our very own Berephorn is quite the author, so perhaps I shall look further into this!
    Have you tried the Jim Butcher series The Dresden Files? Worth reading...Nice premise, especially for those of us who live in proximity to Chicago.
    [color=white]Tikrocks 65 Rune-Keeper (Elendilmir)[/color]
    [color=orange]Tikala 65 Warden / Galliano 59 LM / Tikbee 55 HNT / Tikapitan 50 Cappy / Aaranth 40 Champ / Daegarun 35 GRD / Elluria 28 MIN[/color]
    [color=gold]Rune-Keepers go[/color] [color=white]Zap! Zap! Kapow![/color] [size=1](at least until the sound effects were changed.)[/size]

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The Megadebacleopolis known as Houston
    Posts
    2,019

    Re: New Tolkien Book, not Middle-Earth related.

    Quote Originally Posted by wondecr View Post
    Have you tried the Jim Butcher series The Dresden Files? Worth reading...Nice premise, especially for those of us who live in proximity to Chicago.
    Ah, many thanks for the recommendation.. Haven't read it yet, but will look for it at the bookstore. I went to school in Indiana (Purdue) so I visited the Chicago area quite a bit, and my wife is from there, so I have some familiarity with the city.
    [center] --> [url="http://cota.guildportal.com"]Champions of the Ages[/url] <-- [/center]
    [center][url="http://my.lotro.com/character/firefoot/gonzard/"][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000004acac/01008/signature.png]Gonzard[/charsig][/url]
    Gonzodor, Gonzorian, Gonzoric, others -- [color=green][b]Founder and Lifer in Middle Earth[/b][/color][/center]

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    3,420

    Re: New Tolkien Book, not Middle-Earth related.

    Quote Originally Posted by wondecr View Post
    Have you tried the Jim Butcher series The Dresden Files? Worth reading...Nice premise, especially for those of us who live in proximity to Chicago.
    Those books are awesome... and Christopher Tolkien is an A hole but I don't think he is in it for the money.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d010000277914/signature.png]Toiletwater[/charsig]
    [COLOR=GREEN]Spacemanbobr, Sithmanbobr[/COLOR], [COLOR=RED]Toiletwater, Spacemandef[/COLOR]

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,888

    Re: New Tolkien Book, not Middle-Earth related.

    Quote Originally Posted by wondecr View Post
    Have you tried the Jim Butcher series The Dresden Files? Worth reading...Nice premise, especially for those of us who live in proximity to Chicago.
    I'm reading them almost as we speak. I had to put down book four at the end of lunch today with only two short chapters left. I can't wait to get home.

    I enjoyed the extremely short lived TV series as well. They made some changes in the story but they worked well. My only problem is I tend to get the two mixed up in my head sometimes.

    There are ten or eleven books out so far. I happily have a ways to go yet.

    As for the 'new' Tolkien book, I hope it satisfies those who read it. I've yet to read any of the series so I expect it'll be some time before I find out first hand.
    Half of being clever is making certain you are not being stupid.

    Calabar:65 Hunter – Ullrick:65 Hunter – Farli:65 Minstrel – Raedan:65 Champion – Garrian:65 Captain – Karzack:65 Rune-Keeper

  20. #20

    Re: New Tolkien Book, not Middle-Earth related.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacmanbobr View Post
    Those books are awesome... and Christopher Tolkien is an A hole but I don't think he is in it for the money.
    And you say the above, underlined comment .... why?
    .
    Pew! Pew! Pew!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    6,909

    Re: New Tolkien Book, not Middle-Earth related.

    Quote Originally Posted by WhifOfDespair View Post
    And you say the above, underlined comment .... why?
    Probably due to the vehement denouncing anything regarding Middle-earth that isn't a directly written work of Tolkien.
    Give a guy a pound of gold...he'll complain about how heavy it is.
    Enmity of Forum Trolls: 106/5000 Of the Egaads clan


  22. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bowling Green, Ohio
    Posts
    4,467

    Re: New Tolkien Book, not Middle-Earth related.

    Chris Tolkien is somebody who is both loved and loathed by the LOTR community. Loved for getting a lot of his dad's work off the shelf and into the book stores. Loathed because some purists feel he had his fingers on it too much. Loved for guarding his dads work sincerely. Loathed because he is a technophobe and increasingly bitter and nasty towards any activity outside of his control.

    He's old. My hope is that nothing he has done has created an impenetrable wall his successors can't punch through and allow for more liberal synergies, such as the Sil and LOTR to mix more.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    In the fields of Rohan hunting Hobbit stealing Uruk Hai
    Posts
    434

    Re: New Tolkien Book, not Middle-Earth related.

    Quote Originally Posted by Comstrike View Post
    Chris Tolkien is somebody who is both loved and loathed by the LOTR community. Loved for getting a lot of his dad's work off the shelf and into the book stores. Loathed because some purists feel he had his fingers on it too much. Loved for guarding his dads work sincerely. Loathed because he is a technophobe and increasingly bitter and nasty towards any activity outside of his control.

    He's old. My hope is that nothing he has done has created an impenetrable wall his successors can't punch through and allow for more liberal synergies, such as the Sil and LOTR to mix more.
    The problem with integrating Sil and LotR is not solely one of Christopher's making. Tolkien Enterprise has not been to generous or forthcoming in its dealings with the Tolkien Estate. Not that they technically have to, but good will would go a long way. There is a history of bad blood between them so I doubt that a reconciliation is possible. There are simply too many outstanding lawsuits and historical animosities for such a reconciliation.

    And in some ways I don't think this is too bad of a thing. The Sil was Tolkien's first love, and his most personal creation. Given that, and all the liberties that have been taken with LotR in its various manifestations, I'm a bit grateful that any changes / manipulations must at the least be approved by members of his family that one would assume hold his works in high regard out of their love for him.
    [i]"... I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."[/i] ~ Words of Faramir

  24. Re: New Tolkien Book, not Middle-Earth related.

    Christopher Tolkien was way out of line for disowning his son, Simon, for appearing as an extra in ROTK. As much as I love the world of Middle-Earth, its still a fantasy and should in no way supercede familial relations.

    I guess nobody's perfect.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000009263b/01003/signature.png]Arasilion[/charsig]

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    6,909

    Re: New Tolkien Book, not Middle-Earth related.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arasilion View Post
    Christopher Tolkien was way out of line for disowning his son, Simon, for appearing as an extra in ROTK. As much as I love the world of Middle-Earth, its still a fantasy and should in no way supercede familial relations.

    I guess nobody's perfect.
    You would be correct, problem is, that event never took place and has run the gambit of editing changes..

    For example, one such edit was that his son only showed up for the premier of Fellowship, another that his son worked on the film, and even another where his son funded part of it.
    Give a guy a pound of gold...he'll complain about how heavy it is.
    Enmity of Forum Trolls: 106/5000 Of the Egaads clan


 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload