We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Re: Petition for housing system upgrade

/signed

Please allow for a greater depth of flexibility and interaction in housing. Uninhibited housing decoration along with modest house and property development opportunity would be fun and add a sense of ownership and individuality. I'd also love to have stables within the housing instances that would allow for quick-travel to neighboring towns, at least. There is so much potential with the creative genius represented among the ranks of Turbine and LoTRO!

I like a lot of these suggestions, but have some concerns:

- Opening up new neighborhoods with so many small houses vacant in older neighborhoods seems silly. My suggestion is to allow small houses to be upgradeable to Deluxe Houses. Even if it means losing an outside hook and not gaining as many outside hooks as a Deluxe house. I think neighborhood activity would gain a lot by filling up, before adding more half-filled neighborhoods.

- Free-form decorations. The more customized houses in SWG took forever to load and even caused lag issues in cities. Since each house in LotRO is an instance, this wouldn't really be the case, right? I love the idea, but hate to think of the long delays I used to see in SWG in rendering heavily-decorated building interiors.

/signed -- may I ballot stuff? /signed /signed /signed /signed

Seriously, any number of things can be improved about housing.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head:

1) For kinship houses, perhaps allow fun games that can only be played in the kin houses (I can think of any number of things). These games could be anything, the game-devs' imaginations would be the limit. It would be awesome to have silly games kins could play in their homes and perhaps even rank themselves against other kins for fun.

1b) Another kinhouse idea: It could be a place to leave memos for kinmates to read (like meeting notes or perhaps even 'books' that contain strats for various instances, letting people access content within the game that they'd otherwise have to get from the kin website).

2) Consider why people go to their homes in real life. It's a place to unwind and get away from work and basically relax. In LOTRO there's no purpose to going to your home except to spend a few minutes moving stuff around a bit and putting a few things in your vault--not exactly parallels RL at all. It could be so much more interesting than that (like having the little games or just making them much bigger and allowing for much more customization).

3) Add items to your house that are interesting and only accessible there (like a playing log, a sign book that visitors could sign and leave a note, a clipboard that has a few screenshots that you could share with anybody visiting your house, etc).

Seriously, I just thought about this for a few minutes. Surely a game dev could think of tons of ideas if given a little time and then figure out which one of those ideas could be implemented relatively quickly and easily.

As it is, as others have said, the houses are basically glorified vaults and trophy cases. It's really difficult to differentiate one house from another and there's little incentive to visit other houses.
    Last edited by joggle; Apr 01 2009 at 06:58 PM.

I would really love to see an upgrade, but given the way things are going lately (server troubles, patch troubles, etc.) I'm a bit afraid of what might happen to my home and belongings when they apply such an upgrade and it goes horribly wrong.

/signed

Not that turbine listens to us on this (how long have we been begging for a housing upgrade?)

As an SWG vet, I would love to see something like the system we had there. 2 things I miss from that game, the housing and space (obviously can't have space here). I wish there were no hooks in the house just free placement. I want weapons on my walls along with armor and everything else others have mentioned here.

I was thinking as well, it would be cool to be able to rent a small Guest room inside the different towns. Kind of like Bilbo got in Rivendell only much less grand, just functional. Bree has multiple buildings that seem like they could be instanced in that way. I'm not talking about adding buildings just changing some of the nonfunctional ones to have instanced rooms inside. While it doesn't make sense that everyone could own a house in Moria, lorien, evendim, forochel or wherever. But for the big time adventurer that you are supposed to be, why not allow you a place to stay?
    One chest for storage in the room.
    One rental room at a time, kind of like the way the map home system works.
    Storage gets transfered to wherever you are renting for a fee or to your bank.
    It would be cool to have a place to rest while questing in an area both for the RP'ers out there or for just the storage.

All my rambling aside......
    /signed for this thread.

/SIGN!!!

/SIGN by all the members of both MEK and Pipers Kins!

I really hope this system is upgraded soon. The housing as it stands is depressing and I only use it as storage. I try to get "into" the housing but the limits are too much.

/signed

it was mentioned earlier, but I think that EQ2 had an amazing housing system. Things I would like to see with LoTRO housing are

- ability to purchase more storage/rooms
    - no hooks
    - ability to craft in you home or kin hall
    - ability to at least post items to the AH from your home
    - ability to show off old weapons and armour
    - weapon racks or a suit of armour in the corner
    - the pet idea is cool too (like EQ2)

Quote Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
    I don't doubt there are such things in motion, I just wish we had some sort of 'honeydo' list from Turbine so that we know what they were working on in what order...though that would take some of the thrill out of it and probably promote more nagging from the player base.
    Sadly, I do doubt it. I feel the reason the housing system hasn’t changed is because Turbine likes it the way it is. They don’t want us to be able to put any more decorations in your homes/yards. Housing has been in game for what, a year now? If it hasn’t changed by now I think it’s unlikely that it ever will.

I long to be able to decorate my home instead of being limited to sticking tab A into slot B. I can’t even place a stack of wood next to my fireplace, much less place a table on the floor and put chairs around it. I go into NPC homes and see how lived in they look and leave grumbling. We certainly aren’t allowed to do anything like that.

Housing in LOTRO is little more than storage and a money sink. And it could be so very much more.

/signed

The thing that sold me on this game was player housing, I was so excited about it. I think the neighborhoods are beautiful. Yet, I was really disappointed by the hook system, and how out of the way the neighborhoods are. I would like to be able to go 'home' at the end of the day, but I find I have to 'map' out of the house whenever I want to leave. Why not have a horse leading back out of the neighborhoods?

/signed

Would love to see the current hook system go away. Maybe some type of grid set up for inside and out. I've got more housing decorations in the chests in my house than are out for all to see.
    ESKA Breakdown: Achiever 40.00%, Explorer 66.67%, Killer 46.67%, Socializer 46.67%
    Hawkrunner, Hawkronmoth, Hawkrunadan, Hawkrunrod, Hawklas, Hawku, Hawkodo

Quote Originally Posted by Theodate View Post
    That was one of the things i loved.... not to mention house pets that you could let roam loose in your house and interact with.... i loved it so much
    I miss my EQ2 housing pets!

The other thing that I don't think has been mentioned about EQ2 (and other games as well) is the ease of upgrading to a larger house. And the variety in house sizes! I've been itching for a long time to upgrade to a deluxe house, but I'd like an Elf house. On my entire server there is only ONE deluxe elf house available and I don't like the location. So do I wait? Do I spend my hard earned money on a location I don't like? Or do I buy a deluxe Bree house, even though that's not what I want?

In EQ2 there were enough of every type of house to go around. In DAoC, if I remember correctly, you purchased a lot on which you could change what house you wanted there.

I'm really going crazy, here. I've been aquiring trophy after trophy from the Moria instances but I have nowhere to put them!

This is by no means a game breaking issue, but it would really be nice if LOTRO could take a page from all of the other games out there with much better housing. I'm sick of all the vault space my trophies are taking up.

Cool Re: Petition for housing system upgrade

/sighned!!!

/signed

*stuffs the ballot box*

To the housing guys at Turbine. Please just take a look at Star Wars Galaxies decorating system and then buy it from them or just steal it from them. Anyone who owned a home and decorated it in that game can tell you that it was the best system for home decorations that has ever been released. Just let us do what we want with out homes. put up whatever we want and where we want it. Why limit us in this way. We not robots off of an assembly line so why do our houses have to look like they came off an assembly line. Thank you.

This is like the 5000000th housing upgrade petition I've signed. Not sure if it'll ever get done, but here's hoping it does!

Quote Originally Posted by Lelia View Post
    1 - the ability for all of my characters to have their own homes.
    Now that I've got a house, I do feel the need for another one or two. I'll probably put up a thread exclusively on this subject at some point.

2 - crafting abilities in our homes (someone mentioned the option to buy a superior oven for our homes and i drooled....i hate running back and forth between my vault and the oven in MD...or even having to run back and forth between the neighborhood vendor and the oven because cooking is a nightmare for inventory).
    As much as I like this idea, I hate to think that I'd never see anyone in Esteldin anymore. People come because that's one of the only places they can craft. If I have the use of superior facilities at home, why would I ever visit anywhere but quest areas?

3 - more flexibility in decorating. please get rid of hooks. i hate them. every house looks exactly the same.
    I suspect this is a way to manage load times and keep from clogging save files with lots of data. Although I find it frustrating as well.

5 - someone else suggested merchants....i know this would cause a huge upheaval of the game, but that's another aspect of SWG that i miss....the economy. if we could open our own little shops (maybe a business-only neighborhood? or add shops to the current neighborhoods?) i would -love- that.
    This is something that has really bugged me about the crafting system. I have an Master Journeyman Woodworker and she can't make a [item]Long Ash Shaft[/item]? ¿Que? She can make an [weapon]Ash Spear[/weapon] which, I'd think, invloves a pretty long Ash shaft, but just a dowel is beyond her skill? Not that NPC vendors shouldn't stock them, but I created Team O to be able to make all my own stuff and if I want to collect the extra wood, I don't see why I shouldn't be able to make my own. Although I might then start complaining about how cluttered the crafting panel gets.

The real reason, I suspect, for no merchants is that it violates the lore of all the characters being adventurers. That and the server load of keeping track of each merchant's inventory.

A group of us have transferred to LotRO from EQ2 and have been pleased with the game thus far. We have all been avid housing fans from DAoC and then EQ2 and were looking forward to establishing our new homes here in LotRO. This week we purchased homes and are now neighbors and went from thrilled to COMPLETE disappointment to find that we are so limited to item placement within our homes.

I cannot believe a game this advanced can be so antiquated in the housing department. I know of three of us that remained in EQ2 for two years longer than we would have, simply for the fabulous housing system. The player creativity that a free-form housing system promotes is yet another feature to the game. We would spend whole evenings visiting other players' homes, it is really incredible to see what players can create.

I am adding my wish to this list in hopes that something will be done to address this issue. Player housing is a huge factor to a lot of players, albeit they may be quiet on the issue, I'm sure a revamp of the housing will attract those that have departed as well as draw new players.

The lack of any dev response to this thread is disheartening, to say the least. I sincerely hope this is being addressed and if so, some word on the subject would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    ~Tym

/signed

Need more spacec for my fish!

Signed.

Not that it's necessarily comparable, but I love the free-form decoration feature in games like the Sims 2. Half the fun of playing that game is buying/creating items and then putting them wherever you darn please (within reason, obviously not having a bed bisect a wall). The only reason I ever have to visit my house in LOTRO is because it's close to someplace I'm trying to get to, so it's just easier to map there than take a series of swift travel horses.

Quote Originally Posted by HawkRunner View Post
    Would love to see the current hook system go away. Maybe some type of grid set up for inside and out. I've got more housing decorations in the chests in my house than are out for all to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by CDRuzin View Post
    This is like the 5000000th housing upgrade petition I've signed. Not sure if it'll ever get done, but here's hoping it does!
    I've signed this and every other request I've seen. As much as I would like to see the hook system go away and Turbine implement a housing system as well designed as EQ2, SWG, The Sims, etc., based on previous posts by a dev I doubt sincerely that they are going to put forth the effort to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by floon View Post
    Free-form placement, I've addressed before. It's significantly more work than we can allocate to it for the visible future. There are all kinds of logical arguments about how we should do it anyway, how we're dumb, how players spend 95% of their online time in their houses (or would if we pimped the feature out), but there are practical realities that push it down the list, one of which is that no matter how great the houses are, they will still represent a small fraction of the most players' online time. People will still want the content that they use to fill their house, and that content takes a lot of effort.
    Oh, and btw...Floon isn't the 'Housing dev' as there isn't one dedicated to housing, and he said:

Quote Originally Posted by floon View Post
    I'm here a lot. I don't think I've ever opened the housing forum. If you have a suggestion, post it here***.

And, in case this earns the ire of someone, it's not my job to be on the forums, but I am anyway.
    ***Here meaning Suggestion forum, not Housing forum.

So, as much as I personally would like to see an improvement beyond adding more tawdry 'trophies' that I can't fit in my house already, I don't expect one.

Post Re: Petition for housing system upgrade

Signed. I would like to put more fish and trophies in my house.

Dont know if anyone else has suggested this before.....but I think it would be awesome to have land to buy. Houses to choose from that npcs build for you. Maybe something like you buy the land. Choose a home and then the NPC requires you to gather resources so they can make all the pieces to build your home. Wood for studs. Ore for nails, etc......Or metal workers could make nails, woodworkers lumber. Weaponsmiths tools for the npc workers. Scholars could make house paints and I could paint my home whatever color I want it. Things like that.

As everyone has said before placing items where ever I want in the home.

And resale. I dont drop 100k on a house in RL and when I move just abandon it. I sell the bloody thing. Even if we can only resale back to NPC for 50-75% of the original purchase cost. But it would be cool to be able to build a custom home and then sell it on the AH.

My house now is an oversized chest.....Id rather just have more vault space if there not going to do something to improve housing.

Take a look at EverSeek, an EQ2 housing item DB. Compare that to the paltry amount of items in LotRO. And EQ2 has freeform placement of those items, so players can combine items to make something completely unique.

Even Runes of Magic, a free-to-play MMO has better housing than LotRO! Check out this video of Runes of Magic housing. It shows items like bathtubs, armor/weapon racks, pillows for couches and beds, room dividers and most important of all: FREE FORM PLACEMENT!

Here's another video showing how one person has customized their RoM house. Notice that some of the items have movable parts, like drawers and doors on dressers. His house has 3 levels. It actually looks like a house that's lived in. LotRO's housing is truly pathetic compared to that.

I will be signing for all my alts:

/signed

Are you listening Turbine?

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast