We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast

Exclamation Re: Petition for housing system upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Urzah33 View Post
    I totally agree with most of the poeple who signed here:

More hooks (or showing space), more places to get houses, more storage places (even if it's with money or points exchange), more rooms (or buyable additional rooms), possible crafting facilities (at least for kin houses), dummies and other training facilities, near the neighborhood

/signed

Urzin, lvl 65 Rune Keeper
    Urzo, lvl 63 Hunter
    and a bunch of alts...
    I agree with lots in this thread. Housing is woefully neglected. Housing is unimportant to players because it is treated unimportantly. That WOULD change if changes were made (if you build it, they will come).

LOTRO players love being able to interact as a community and taking advantage of special rewards. Kill 10 Rats and Raids are all well and good, but us LOTROers do want a rich experience. Flexible house decorating is one obvious and crucial change. Greater ability to modify houses (more rooms) would be awesome. Simple additions like training dummies would liven things up. A minigame in each area would also be a nice diversion. And there should be more housing locations.

I think the limited placement of housing (starter areas) is a sign of how long housing has been neglected. I enjoy my current home next to the waterfall in the Shire (which is sadly too small, but I stay because I like the location). But I would very well move if I could live on a snowy, silent plain in Forochel - totally not convenient, but beautiful. Throw in weather events and creature mobs and it would be wonderful.

Here is a nice fantasy: I go to the Forochel housing area where there are empty plots of land for sale. After choosing my plot, I then can choose from a menu of houses (a variety of Forochel Huts, with other area-specific options purchasable through LOTRO store - eg snowy hobbit home, snowy elf home, snowy man home, snowy dwarf home). I imagine a dialogue similar to that of stable masters with alternate home styles having an unlock button linked to the cash store. After choosing the design style, I am able to choose the size - small, medium, large, kin (as a function of decorating, not separate annoying purchases) - which can be later upgraded if one desires by paying silver.

Maybe it would not be wise (for the amount of work involved) to have a housing area for every region, but I think Forochel and Lothlorien housing would garner excitement. LOTRO Store race-specific Lothlorien style houses would be pretty. With so much migration and turmoil in Middle Earth, I don't think it is lore-breaking to have other race houses in different areas. Perhaps Thorin's would not be amenable to other styled houses, but I think a little extra creativity in housing areas is allowable.

There are potential drawbacks and concerns (and proposed solutions/mitigations):
    1. Lots of work - creating so many new housing exteriors, coding when there is currently little interest in housing, etc.
    ---If you build it, they will come! I think of the SWG housing where so many proudly display their prizes. There is great untapped potential for cash store sales of exclusive house items with no effect on game balance---
    2. Low level kin members transporting to high level places.
    ---When attempting to leave housing area, display stable master window, allowing transport to Thorins, Bree, Michel Delving, and a minimum level requirement to enter the wilds of [Forochel]. There is an added bonus of creating player excitement to play these areas later on.---
    3. Current unglamorous technical housing issues need to be fixed.
    ---I hope those issues could be dealt with as part of a total overhaul. And there really needs to be an overhaul.---

Re: Petition for housing system upgrade

Housing is tied to Kinships. Kinships are tied to raiding/endgame/PVMP i.e. the new content. If they are going to make improvements to endgame and such they are going to need to make improvements to Kinships and the tools needed to run them. And one of these tools is housing. By neglecting housing they have been neglecting Kinships and thus they are not doing all they can to support endgame and new content.

It's all tied together. To improve endgame and raids they need to improve Kinships. To improve Kinships they need to address housing.

/signed (again)

*sigh* this thread was made in '08 and housing is still the same, I believe?

Please give us new options and improvements. I know this is purely a vanity thing in the game but it breaks up the level/gear grind and is enjoyable to have

/signed

Turbine does realize that other MMOs are there don't they? and others soon to be released. I have played most of them at one time or another. I believe LOTRO is on of the better ones but this housing thing is just out of control. We have decorations, trophies, paintings, furniture, etc falling out are you know whats and not near enough place to put even a small fraction of them to display or enjoy it.

I admit I am one of those players that will use and have used the LOTRO store alot, yes for cosmetics and such. I have invested money and time for this entertainment and I dont want to walk away from this game but I will just as I have other MMOs if they fail to see that housing is prime end game content.

Nobody wants to raid every second of everyminute they are loged on and the amount of quest content that could be conected with housing gives maxed out players something else to do. You know like go save this dwarf oh it just so happens that he is a stone masson, and will help you put a basement in your house... oh the guy i just saved his kid is a carpeter and will give me different floorplans for my house... I mean so much stuff can be added in this area.

I have a Kinship house and the five houses near it in the Breeland Homesteads , Ewall Neighborhood, just so I can have fun trying to come up with different themes for the houses. Come on turbine make a reason for endgame players to stick around other than just another dragon to kill!

Like others have mentioned in this thread, yes alot could also be put in the LOTRO store, but I hope they see that is only one area of so many options, but yeah I would pay for it if the options were there.

No hooks, I like that one. And different floor plans. Everything is the same...

/signed

I find myself wanting to personalize my home. It seems important for an RPg imo.
    So...no hooks, more housing areas, and different floor plans

/signed

/signed

as turbine knows, people pay money for cool.
    upgrade the housing system, you know you'll use it again in your next game!

/signed

I recently came to LOTRO from EQ2. Despite many other problems with EQ2, the game has amazing houses. There are about 20 house styles each with several different floor plans. Each of your alts can own up to 20 houses. There are no hooks, and you can place up to 1000 items in the largest house designs. All items can be rotated, raised and lowered, and scaled in size. Also, each house has a vault that holds 240 items for all hoarders among us. IMO, housing is keeping EQ2 alive and providing SOE with some cash when players choose to buy exclusive furniture through their Station Market. Oh ... I forgot to mention that the Carpentry crafting skill allows players to build hundreds (thousands?) of housing items.

Don't get me wrong ... LOTRO is a fantastic game. It just needs a substantial housing update.

& allow farming craft to plant flowers in the yard (every inch of it) that will eventually bloom into what those flowers should look like instead of the generic look that all fields have. & cross-breeding of the seeds would be nice, & may be sheep/horse or bovine breeding as well, a butterfly farm would be way cool

allow for renovations so that houses would be unique to each individual

make it possible for areas to be turned into crafting area, add crafting skill to woodworker/metalsmith that would enable them to make crafting furniture exclusively for the homes, i read somewhere that crafting in the homestead is impossible & when some1 open the topic up, a jerk responded negatively & ask that person to read the previous posts, well, lotro was p2p b4 & now its f2p & is doing good, so improvement is good.

enable woodworker to craft chicken coops & make them worthwhile by enabling them to be harvested for chicken eggs that cooks can use

enable woodworker to craft beehive stall so we can harvest our own honey instead of buying from supplier

while ur at it, might as well make the crafters make all those ingredients sold by the supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by knnindy View Post
    & allow farming craft to plant flowers in the yard (every inch of it) that will eventually bloom into what those flowers should look like instead of the generic look that all fields have. & cross-breeding of the seeds would be nice, & may be sheep/horse or bovine breeding as well, a butterfly farm would be way cool

allow for renovations so that houses would be unique to each individual

make it possible for areas to be turned into crafting area, add crafting skill to woodworker/metalsmith that would enable them to make crafting furniture exclusively for the homes, i read somewhere that crafting in the homestead is impossible & when some1 open the topic up, a jerk responded negatively & ask that person to read the previous posts, well, lotro was p2p b4 & now its f2p & is doing good, so improvement is good.

enable woodworker to craft chicken coops & make them worthwhile by enabling them to be harvested for chicken eggs that cooks can use

enable woodworker to craft beehive stall so we can harvest our own honey instead of buying from supplier

while ur at it, might as well make the crafters make all those ingredients sold by the supplier.
    I have thought of the possibility to benefit from the Farmer profession in some real and useful way, and the idea of them being able to make actually useful flowerbeds and gardening for the house would be a great way to introduce the "missing" Farmer's Guild. Make the stuff Guild recipes, and suddenly we have one more profession that people would actually level for other reasons than just feed their Cook (or Scholar with crits from crops) with materials. I know I would switch my Farmer/Cook to Farmer's Guild immediately, or roll another Farmer solely for the guild.

Woodworker is also mostly "useless" Profession, even though they have their limited use for Hunter and Warden weapons. Giving them more use by making them the second profession to be able to make some actually useful housing stuff (they can now, but not even close to what they should be able to) would give people reason to roll more than one/Kinship. Make them Guild recipes too.

About the discussions of rents, I would really like to see the removal of the upkeep completely from the Standard houses, but still keep it as it is on Deluxe houses. The 50s/week is more an annoyance than anything else, and removing it would only make the game another tiny bit more playable. And maybe make extra Standard houses available to every toon on the account but have the extra ones have upkeep. Limit the Deluxe still for only 1/account/server.
    This would allow the Hobbit toons to live in the Shire and Dwarves at Thorin's Halls. Instead of that, roleplayers have to make three F2P accounts to get all of their toons the right houses, if they don't want to come up with wild stories (Anonymour Elven Cave-Dweller: "Hello, my name is Mary-Sue and I like to live underground." *lots of screaming from every other Elf around*) of why their Elven Minstrel wants to live underground (or actually even visit)...

Quote Originally Posted by Henshaw135 View Post
    About the discussions of rents, I would really like to see the removal of the upkeep completely from the Standard houses, but still keep it as it is on Deluxe houses. The 50s/week is more an annoyance than anything else, and removing it would only make the game another tiny bit more playable.
    It is a silver sink. It should stay. The annoyance is the pay by the week. I wish there was some away to put 10, 20 50 weeks into the hopper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henshaw135 View Post
    And maybe make extra Standard houses available to every toon on the account but have the extra ones have upkeep. Limit the Deluxe still for only 1/account/server.
    Turbine is unlikely to do this. There is a server limit for the number of houses. Once they are all gone. Nobody else can not have a Hobbit standard or whatever. At some point all the servers will be out of homes due to permanent ownership.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    Turbine is unlikely to do this. There is a server limit for the number of houses. Once they are all gone. Nobody else can not have a Hobbit standard or whatever. At some point all the servers will be out of homes due to permanent ownership.
    A server limit for houses? That actually sounds quite serious... And it is a very strong argument for freeing the parmanently closed houses for reclaiming. I do know that the database does have limits for it's size, but I wonder how high the limits actually are... Are we getting close to the limits on some servers, or are they still at 10% or lower? Would be interesting to know.

As for the house upkeeps: I would still keep my houses even if the rents would be 250s for Standard and 800s for Deluxe. That wasn't the point. With the huge buffing of value to all of the shopfood items, 50s really isn't anything at all. I realised this when I ran the Barrow-Downs solo quest through on my new Captain, and ended up with 1,5g from shopfood alone in 4 hours. Before the repair/shopfood overhaul, I would have ended up with grand total of maybe 100-200s from there, after repairs (would probably be -500s on a Fervour Champion).

1.) a. Keeping the hooks: Make the current hooks one size fits all.
    b. Getting rid of the hooks: Put in place a cut, copy, and paste system to put things where we want to put them. Unlimited items. Example: 4 framed pictures on a huge blank wall to fill it up. The end result is a cozy place, just like real life.

2.) More crafting items. We should be able to acquire every single item in the game for a.) crafting, b.) quest rewards, c.) random deeds, and/or d.) random world drops. For instance: There is a nifty braided rug, tapestry, plant holder I'd love to have in my home.

3.) Make table tops accessible. For instance: Crafted vases to be place on TOP of tables, rather than on the floor.

4.) Allow exterior of homes to be painted, and even surfaces changed.

5.) Add a public mailbox near housing vendors.

6.) Add a stable point outward bound to the housing salesperson.

Last edited by Channah; Nov 16 2011 at 04:36 PM.

Please put a stable in the neighborhood vendor area with fast travel to the nearest major city (especially shire).
    At the stable in the major city where one owns a house or kinship owns a house, add the option to travel to the house.

Hometown: Dale. Current: Raingully, The Shire.

Now that LotRO has layered instances, I wonder if Turbine could implement in-city housing.
    The main concern with having housing inside of Bree, Rivendell, etc was that the traffic in and out of the houses would produce horrible lag. However, now that layered instances have reduced in-city lag, they could be viable. Have some rooms in the Prancing Pony to rent, a Flet in Lothlorien, room in the Forsaken Inn, etc. Best of all, there would be no abandoned houses. Players would only see the same building exterior. If they 'owned' the interior, then they would be sent to their instance of the interior when they enter the door, while other players would be sent to their instance. To visit other player's instance of the same interior players could use a 'Register of Tenants" billboard that transports them to interiors other than the one they own (and if permissions have been set).

Quote Originally Posted by Cammunition View Post
    Now that LotRO has layered instances, I wonder if Turbine could implement in-city housing.
    The main concern with having housing inside of Bree, Rivendell, etc was that the traffic in and out of the houses would produce horrible lag. However, now that layered instances have reduced in-city lag, they could be viable. Have some rooms in the Prancing Pony to rent, a Flet in Lothlorien, room in the Forsaken Inn, etc. Best of all, there would be no abandoned houses. Players would only see the same building exterior. If they 'owned' the interior, then they would be sent to their instance of the interior when they enter the door, while other players would be sent to their instance. To visit other player's instance of the same interior players could use a 'Register of Tenants" billboard that transports them to interiors other than the one they own (and if permissions have been set).
    That's one of the most realistic suggestions for in-city housing I have seen. Coupled with the right handling of instancing, the server load would also be quite low. If the instances were built on top of a database with the interiors as database entries, a single instance on a single server would be able to handle quite a big amount of "apartments". This would be done with preset of 10 or 100 (any number really) apartments in an instance filled with the interiors loaded from database, and unloaded when the player leaves the zone where the "apartment is.
    As the homesteads are now, in the worst case (and probably how it is in reality too with people spreading over all of the instances) 100 people in their homes need 100 different instances (database entries, or complete homesteads, depending on how they are programmed) of the same homstead loaded to the servers.
    While I wouldn't abandon my houses in the homestead I am in, reducing the load on servers is always a good thing. It saves a lot of money in the long run for Turbine to use on other stuff, even if it's just giving it to investors. ;-)

Thumbs up Re: Petition for housing system upgrade

I would love to be able to add additional rooms, even if it costs TP to do, It must be done, I don't care if the house is 20x bigger inside than outside to save room in neighborhood I just want to add more. Imagine showing off wealth by inviting friends over to your mansion. The hook-free furniture placement sounds like an incredible idea.

/signed

As for rent. They should switch it from 6 weeks to 6 months. Then you could pay for half a year upfront and forget about it!

Turbine should just tell us if they are thinking of updating anything again. I know you did ... but again...
    and reply to this thread as if you've read it.

1. Turbine won't reply here.
    2. They'll never do anything to change housing unless it makes money.

So......Turbine. What if I say I'm willing to pay good money for a bigger house, more slots for housing items, more chests more.....

What I want:
    - Neighbourhood looking less dull and more lively.
    - Bigger neighbourhoods as that can be done through layered instances.
    - More choices in housing size. 5 sizes from small to enormous (for those with tons of gold)
    - Boot people out not paying upkeep but keep their items in escrow permanently so they wont loose anything when they get back.
    - More interior hooks or remove them and make everyhting freely placeable.
    - Store exclusive housing items, floors, walls, exterior wall, exterior floor, exterior roof, exterior ornaments (you know like the gargoyles on the Notre Dame. I love housing and fluff.
    - Walk in closet with a raid gear exposition and whatever else you want in it.

I'm willing to pay TP for it as long as I get bang for the buck! Turbine wake up! I'm willing to give you $$$$$$$$$$. You know the green stuff everyone loves so much.

/signed

I need a mansion size house with lots of storage, crafting facilities at least somewhere in the neighborhood, a real stable for my mounts, and an improved housing items system that does not use hooks
    give me a reason to hang out at my house now and again

/signed

and this really is a great idea

Originally Posted by Cammunition

Last edited by medwulf; Dec 03 2011 at 11:18 AM.

I would double my subscription costs for EQ2-like, 'hookless' housing system.

And place crafting places (sorry I dont know how to call that, for example Workbench, Forge, Oven etc.) into neighborhoods!
    Sorry for english mistakes :d but I hope you know what I mean

I would prefer something like EQ2 or SWG; the current housing system feels weak and medial.

/signed

i don't agree with removing the upkeep, earning coins is not difficult & by the time your toon levels higher up, you'd wonder what to do with your coins, so having something to spend it on is a good thing, i would suggest though that when an upkeep is due, the game would send mails to notify said owner toon & also having an option to pay by months or years.

it would be better i think to just foreclose all houses that are in default of paying upkeep & put those houses back into the market, the game could do that everytime it does maintenance.

Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast