We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A blue name response would be appreciated

Just a quick question to the Devs. What is the future plans for the player music system?
    I assume everything has been put on hold due to the Weatherstock concerts but it would be nice to hear what the plans for the future will be. The music system still has many bugs, and trouble instruments. We've been ignored in our recent requests for some information concerning our future. What gives?

Fincin of Landroval
    Level 100 Minstrel
    *Les Beaux Chapeaux Bandmember,* Transciber, Officer
    Founder of the Hobbit Coalition for Giving us Bunny Cosmetic Pets
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    Hugger of Bunnys

I suspect that they will ''Fix'' the system some more and break it. I also suspect that we will complain about loudly on BR where upon, they will ignore it and push it live anyway. Why is this so hard to understand?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000029110f/signature.png]Orladan[/charsig]

Go play guitar here on wii if you think the already depleted dev base should spend anymore time on a music system for the minority who actually bother with it.

How hard is it to load abc files though?
    Last edited by Enzaraen; Jul 14 2015 at 06:06 PM.

Heck of a minority....

Four shows on just one server.

Fincin of Landroval
    Level 100 Minstrel
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    Hugger of Bunnys

Weak.

The number of PvPers just on Brandywine on at peak times triple this yet we are receiving minimal, if useless attention to balance the PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Enzaraen View Post
    Weak.

The number of PvPers just on Brandywine on at peak times triple this yet we are receiving minimal, if useless attention to balance the PvP.

A Tuesday night, 11am UK time.. Not even peak times... Not even taking into account the vast majority of creeps who are anon... Or the freeps...

Quote Originally Posted by Emere View Post
    Heck of a minority....

Four shows on just one server.
    Yes one server with a strong musical presence but that is not indicative of the LOTRO world overall. There are so many other items integral to the actual playing of the game that need attention and developer time. While there are a small group (relative to the overall population of all the LOTRO worlds) that are dedicated to and enjoy listening to computer generated music (synth rather than actual instruments) there are far more who it is a non-event or a thing of mild interest. You guys have had a ton of the developer time in the past year so don't be surprised if there is push back as you ask for even more.

You need to understand that a number of folk turn off player music as an option - for some it is an annoyance, not a joy, to listen to. I understand it is important to you as a group but to myself and many others we would rather have time invested in the gameplay....quests and instances and expansions.

I am not denigrating what you enjoy, I am just saying it isn't a priority for many, many players and that shouldn't be a surprise that some folks are saying enough already. It is the same for the PVP community, what we love is very important to us but we are a subset of a much larger population. I am very happy we are finally getting some developer time and hope it continues BUT recognise that there are larger, global issues that may need the time and money more.

With respect,

Lothhil. BW
    'I'm a hunter, I have all the defensive capability of a wet dishrag' - Lothhil

While I agree that gameplay and class balance is way more important than music system (its silly to even try to claim that music is more popular than pvp) we must remember they arent exactly same devs as people who design instances, write story or try duckshooting balancing on pvp. I would guess it's not exactly high on priority list and minimal team is working on it while most likely have other tasks to do as well. Only option is keep moaning on forums and make suggestions, it worked for pvp players after 7 years of crying for new map. Good luck.

Btw. Music community that you see on landroval wont represent anyway other 25 or so servers that have absolutely minimal/non-existend one. On other servers music events are as joyful as pvp on Gilrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Enzaraen View Post

A Tuesday night, 11am UK time.. Not even peak times... Not even taking into account the vast majority of creeps who are anon... Or the freeps...
    Not that I understand your point in this but....

Look, it's fine. I understand that you don't like music. No one is making you listen to music. You are unhappy with the state of PVP? Fine. Make your thread and demand action. Just don't come in here and piss on someone else's thread. You don't see musicians going over to PVP threads pissing on their cornflakes, do you?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000029110f/signature.png]Orladan[/charsig]

These music changes should have never entered the game, they were a waste of resources. We would all be better off if those developers would have spend their time on improving PvP instead of touching the music system.
    But they did, and now we're left with the mess.

I'd do the work of adjusting the sample volumes for them, and even for free - if they would kindly ask. I'm sure there would be enough others that would help with that.

So dear Turbine, how about you set up some online thing (something like a github project or a google drive), upload your samples, give some trusted players editing privileges and then we will fix your mess. Also you'd have the advantage that we'd fight within the music community about the details and all you'd have to do is pull the samples from said folder and put them in the game whenever a patch is due.

I'd call this a win win situation for all of us.
    Bruzo, Dwarrowdelf Minstrel ~ "A Rock & a Hard Place"

Probably the best point made here so far Orlor. Thank you for that.

Highjacking a thread or attempting to, is in poor taste.
    However, in response to the pvp'rs, I never claimed the music community had more people but it does seem we host bigger events each day, week, and each year.
    Not to mention, one can read many posts about how pvp is dead here and there as well. But does any of that matter when the op was asking for information about the music system?

I still wish to know when and if the music system will get the promised fixes we are expecting.

P.S. Great idea Bruzo!

Fincin of Landroval
    Level 100 Minstrel
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    Hugger of Bunnys

Quote Originally Posted by siipperi View Post
    While I agree that gameplay and class balance is way more important than music system (its silly to even try to claim that music is more popular than pvp) we must remember they arent exactly same devs as people who design instances, write story or try duckshooting balancing on pvp. I would guess it's not exactly high on priority list and minimal team is working on it while most likely have other tasks to do as well. Only option is keep moaning on forums and make suggestions, it worked for pvp players after 7 years of crying for new map. Good luck.

Btw. Music community that you see on landroval wont represent anyway other 25 or so servers that have absolutely minimal/non-existend one. On other servers music events are as joyful as pvp on Gilrain.

The main reason I still play this game of because of the music system, but I also used to enjoy the PvP in the Moors 3 years or so ago. Till the got it so out of whack I gave up on it. So I feel your pain PvPers. Like siiperi said, the Devs have told us before the people working on the music system are not the same people working on game content or PvP content. They are working on new PvP content now and in no way should you attack someone for asking for a few bug fixes in the music system. The raiders want more, the PvPers want more, the musicians want bugs fixed. Lately if you've noticed the Devs have been trying to walk a fine line to do as much as they can for all of us (yes raiders I know, I hope after they finish the new PvP map you guys will be next). I for one am glad PvPers are finally getting a new map and I hope the raiders get some new content soon.

Now someone, I don't remember who, foolishly said something like: "How hard is it to load a ABC file?" Most of the people you see who post in this music thread spend hours and hours creating those ABC files to try and make the game more enjoyable for a rather large group of people who enjoy listening. I personally have spent untold hours and created hundreds of ABC files and posted them where others who don't know how to make them can download them and play them for their enjoyment. I don't see YOU creating anything to make the game more enjoyable for others, all I see YOU doing is whining.
    Daylak Darksbane-The drunken drummer of Bright Star
    Landroval
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no cash, no hope and no jobs. Please Eru don't let Kevin Bacon die!

Quote Originally Posted by SchorschiSchrumpf View Post
    These music changes should have never entered the game, they were a waste of resources. We would all be better off if those developers would have spend their time on improving PvP instead of touching the music system.

I'd do the work of adjusting the sample volumes for them, and even for free - if they would kindly ask. I'm sure there would be enough others that would help with that.

So dear Turbine, how about you set up some online thing (something like a github project or a google drive), upload your samples, give some trusted players editing privileges and then we will fix your mess. Also you'd have the advantage that we'd fight within the music community about the details and all you'd have to do is pull the samples from said folder and put them in the game whenever a patch is due.

I'd call this a win win situation for all of us.
    How could any turn down an offer like that. And yes, I'm serious. Bruzo knows what he's doing.
    Sev ... Member and founder of Instant Play. Playing concert every Monday 20.00-22.00 CET (14.00-16.00 server time) at West Bree stables on Gwaihir.
    Alles musik oder was!

basically he's telling the sound designers that they can't do their job. I'd be annoyed if I were a dev and I were to read this. What you say, oh is a easy fix, may take them a month. Do you know the code that the music devs use to record and implement their changes? No. The devs won't ask you to fix their samples for them. It is their job to fix what is broken. All they can do, because they can't hand out their samples to any random player who asks, is having another focus at music on BR after update. Have a little faith in their job instead of going around saying nyah nyah, I could have fixed it in no time!
    Last edited by elvenes; Jul 15 2015 at 11:55 AM. Reason: spelling

And yet the music-system is in a worse state before the larger updates on it. Why is that?

I agree with Emere; it would be really nice to know what the future plans are.
    Sev ... Member and founder of Instant Play. Playing concert every Monday 20.00-22.00 CET (14.00-16.00 server time) at West Bree stables on Gwaihir.
    Alles musik oder was!

Quote Originally Posted by Orlor View Post

Look, it's fine. I understand that you don't like music. No one is making you listen to music. You are unhappy with the state of PVP? Fine. Make your thread and demand action. Just don't come in here and piss on someone else's thread. You don't see musicians going over to PVP threads pissing on their cornflakes, do you?
    You totally won. Gratz on the prize!

-.... oh wait there were no prizes, but hey! You still won!
    Founder of Fluffy Bunny Order.

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    My opinion
    ------------------------------

I think it should be made clear that this idea of "You're getting the cake, but we're not, and we're better than you" is a lump of bull####. PvMP and The Music System are two DIFFERENT aspects of LoTRO, and each has their own specific dev team. To argue that PvMP is more important isn't true. To argue that In-Game Music is more important is not true. Why? Because they are both important, and they both desperately need attention from their specific dev groups.

Now, I might be biased because he's a good friend of mine and a bandmate, but I agree with Bruzo:

Quote Originally Posted by SchorschiSchrumpf View Post
    We have been left with a scrambled lump of terrible music notes, terrible instruments, and terrible ideas for instruments. The Basic Lute? Rather than just reverting it back to Pre-U16, they made it into a "new instrument" the Lute of Ages. The music community has been asking for new instruments for ages. To think that this might have been the solution to our askings would be ignorant and foolish.

There are still messed up notes on all the instruments. The Basic Lute needs massive adjustments before most of us even consider using it. The harp still has broken, twangy notes. There is still the issue of Notes Dropping due to the heavier load that Turbine has put on the Music System Post U16(see here: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...e-music-system)

On the side of PvP? There needs to be adjustments to creep damage. There needs to be adjustments to freep and creep healing. There needs to be more Turbine acceptance of Player Feedback on that end, because from what I've seen, nothing that players suggested even remotely influenced U16.2.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Now, the most important part.

Enzaraen...

We try to stay out of the PvP forums. We don't ask that only one side gets changes while the other is abandoned. We ask that each side receives equal attention from their specified and assigned devs. This means that PvP and The Music System can be worked on within the same update. Believe it or not, it's possible to have two dev teams work on two things at a time. This talk about "Minorities" and "Bigger Community" doesn't matter. What matters is that each side attracts players to the game and draws them in. Because of that, each side deserves equal attention from their specific dev team.

You're making non-existent ideas into existence. PvP wasn't being updated because the Music System was, and vice versa. Turbine just decided to focus on one for one update, and the other for the next. I'm sure that Turbine still has plans to improve both PvP and The Music System.

Now, can we stop flinging mud at each other like 3 year olds
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

I would also like to know what the plans are for fixing the instruments. For example the bagpipe drops all short notes so in worst case the instrument is silent throughout a whole song. I like to use the bagpipe for "details" (can't think of a better translation right now) but at the moment this is not possible because of the dropped notes. The problems with the instruments keep me from creating and playing new songs.

Still waiting for a response from a bluename.
    In the meantime, here is a nice video describing the new music system!
    http://www.twitch.tv/barafunda/v/10241313

Fincin of Landroval
    Level 100 Minstrel
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    Hugger of Bunnys

You guys may have missed this from a blue name, it was posted in another thread - https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...=1#post7423135

Originally Posted by Arbor
    Yeah, it's one of those "maybe some day" sort of things. Perhaps when someone has a lab sprint, it'll be looked at (for those who aren't aware, a lab sprint is a period of time where devs and sometimes QA work on pet projects. For instance, two in QA used a recent lab sprint to fix player music and I believe Floid and Dewitt also came from a lab sprint).

My response:

My word, this is depressing. Are you saying that the music system is now no longer being worked on in spite of the bugs introduced? There was a lot of feedback and it looks like we may have to wait until someone can be bothered to use up a lab sprint to get any further work done?
    Jobbing musician that resides in Bree. Frequenter of Taverns and places of ill repute

We're trapped as lab sprint rats!

Huhu^^ It looks like the blue name dragged on another thread! Good catch, Keli

# We're hangin' 'round today #
    # We're playin' tough music #
    # 'Cause it's hard times money #
    # We need a new solution #
    # We want it quick #
    # We're getting frustrated #
    # It's making us sick #
    # We got a bright future #
    # We got it on the never, never #

# Don't want to be "Bad" Music System prisoners #

# We ain't gonna live forever #
    # We gotta stop that dreamin' #
    # We've gotta pick up that game #
    # We're troops of tomorrow #
    # We've got a new vision run #

./toasts

Zed'

Check that thread I linked for another response.
    Jobbing musician that resides in Bree. Frequenter of Taverns and places of ill repute

Well I watched the Frelorn twitch stream today and asked about the music. It seems there are no further plans to do what we were told would be done. No sustained bass or that new horn they talked about, no more fixing of the things still broken, unless we bug report it. So instead of a better music system, we traded off timbre for a couple of in tune notes and more note loss. We lost overall quality and it appears it will stay that way. I would suggest bug reporting the loss of notes, and other little things that got messed up. I must confess, I'm really disappointed about it all. It used to be, music sounded better in game than on abc player, but now, music sounds better in abc player and in game is a mess. I personally don't think it is enhanced by any means.

Fincin of Landroval
    Level 100 Minstrel
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    Hugger of Bunnys

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    Quote Originally Posted by Emere View Post
    Well I watched the Frelorn twitch stream today and asked about the music. It seems there are no further plans to do what we were told would be done. No sustained bass or that new horn they talked about, no more fixing of the things still broken, unless we bug report it. So instead of a better music system, we traded off timbre for a couple of in tune notes and more note loss. We lost overall quality and it appears it will stay that way. I would suggest bug reporting the loss of notes, and other little things that got messed up. I must confess, I'm really disappointed about it all. It used to be, music sounded better in game than on abc player, but now, music sounds better in abc player and in game is a mess. I personally don't think it is enhanced by any means.
    good job Turbine. Time for me to start considering canceling my sub...
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

Yes Fincin,

it is quite disapointing, there is so much wrong with those patches. But it's not like we knew exactly this would happen - all attempts to change the music system have been failures, that last patch just made some of the mistakes less severe - and now we're left with the mess.

I guess we just didn't get through to them...
    Bruzo, Dwarrowdelf Minstrel ~ "A Rock & a Hard Place"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast