We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Returning HoH Captain needing some rough advice - Post HD

Hi folks, it has been a while since I played(haven’t played since Helms Deep/Class changes) and will be bringing my toons out of retirement but wanted to get some rough guidelines gearwise specifically for Captain.

Pre-HD I enjoyed sword & board HoH cappy, is this still viable post class skill changes?
    Is sword & board viable for healing, or is 2hander the way forward?
    Are banners still viable, or is herald the most efficient healing/support wise.

What should I be aiming for gearwise? Nothing totally specific, just some rough guidelines such as do such & such dailies, this pvp gear and this pve are good combo’s for HoH/Support etc.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to strolling the lands of Middle Earth again.

Cheers.
    [LEFT][/LEFT][CENTER]Taff - [COLOR="#00FFFF"][FONT=Century Gothic][B]LANDROVAL[/B][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [B][COLOR="#FF0000"]Captain[/COLOR][/B]/Champion/Guardian/Hunter/Minstrel/Runekeeper
    “A hunted man sometimes wearies of distrust and longs for friendship.”[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by KarooOstrich View Post
    Hi folks, it has been a while since I played(haven’t played since Helms Deep/Class changes) and will be bringing my toons out of retirement but wanted to get some rough guidelines gearwise specifically for Captain.

Pre-HD I enjoyed sword & board HoH cappy, is this still viable post class skill changes?
    Is sword & board viable for healing, or is 2hander the way forward?
    Are banners still viable, or is herald the most efficient healing/support wise.

What should I be aiming for gearwise? Nothing totally specific, just some rough guidelines such as do such & such dailies, this pvp gear and this pve are good combo’s for HoH/Support etc.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to strolling the lands of Middle Earth again.

Cheers.
    Banners and heralds work somewhat differently now. You equip a banner and it will give you some bonuses. Being able to put a banner on the ground for area effects are skills you gain from the trait trees and do not depend on the banner you have equipped.
    You don't really need armaments for heralds anymore. If you check at a Captain class trainer you can barter armaments to learn skills of summoning the desired type of herald.
    You can have a banner equipped and a herald summoned at the same time. Heralds give a small buff to everyone around them and can help fight a bit. (Archers give no buff but do more damage.)

Sword+shield should still work fine. Especially for healing that would probably work well since many of the shields you find are really designed for Minstrels to boost their healing.

For end-game gear I am afraid I don't really know what you should look for. The stats you want are pretty much the same as pre-HD though.

Many thanks for the speedy feedback.

I imagine there are some might based shields still floating about? Specifically from skraids/pvp?
    I realise it will take me a bit of time getting used to the changes wrt the class tree's - it has been so long since I've played, no doubt it'll feel like a new game!

Please keep the advice coming guys, much appreciated and will help me get up to speed quicker.

Suppose it is a good idea to ditch my lvl 85 LI's and just use the LI's I am able to grab as I level.
    [LEFT][/LEFT][CENTER]Taff - [COLOR="#00FFFF"][FONT=Century Gothic][B]LANDROVAL[/B][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [B][COLOR="#FF0000"]Captain[/COLOR][/B]/Champion/Guardian/Hunter/Minstrel/Runekeeper

Quote Originally Posted by ertr View Post
    Sword+shield should still work fine. Especially for healing that would probably work well since many of the shields you find are really designed for Minstrels to boost their healing.
    Ehhh No.
    Do not take Minstrels shields.
    Captains Healing depend on Tactical Mastery, that we get from Might, not from Will.
    There are at least 3 useful Captain shields for Level 100.

Myself heals with 2 Handed Weapon. It increase the outgoing damage too.
    Sure, i cant block, but that should the Tank do.
    The good point for using a shield is, that you do not have trouble with the 2handed Weapon Headstats. This can save you a lot of Symbols and frustration.
    The bad is, that you will do less damage.

Captain you meet mostly in red, because of the huge damage support for the Group.
    In 3 mans they do the Tank or Healer job.

In the 3 Osgiliath Inis you can get armourboxes with 2 different Armourparts (e.g. helm+shoulder), choseable between 3 Typs (damage, heal, tank).
    The 2 set bonus of the Healingset increase you healing by 10% (fix)
    I like and own helm+shoulder. That parts you get in Dome of Stars each 360might, 90 vita+fate, 800 crit.

There is a Class essence that increase your outgoing heal by 10% (fix) with an activation Chance done only by melee Crit.
    Not as good as it sounds, but still ok.
    [read the short threat about that: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...s-for-helping]

At level 100 you can imbrue you Weapon and Class item.
    While doing this, The weapon legacy Pressing Attack max Targets will swift to an Outgoing Healing buff, while in Battle hardened State.

While leveling, i use mostly my old maxed iteams. or switch for huge damage increasement to 3rd agers.
    Last edited by Laubgaenger; Jul 31 2015 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laubgaenger View Post
    Ehhh No.
    Do not take Minstrels shields.
    Captains Healing depend on Tactical Mastery, that we get from Might, not from Will.
    There are at least 3 useful Captain shields for Level 100.

Myself heals with 2 Handed Weapon. It increase the outgoing damage too.
    Sure, i cant block, but that should the Tank do.
    The good point for using a shield is, that you do not have trouble with the 2handed Weapon Headstats. This can save you a lot of Symbols and frustration.
    The bad is, that you will do less damage.

Captain you meet mostly in red, because of the huge damage support for the Group.
    In 3 mans they do the Tank or Healer job.

In the 3 Osgiliath Inis you can get armourboxes with 2 different Armourparts (e.g. helm+shoulder), choseable between 3 Typs (damage, heal, tank).
    The 2 set bonus of the Healingset increase you healing by 10% (fix)
    I like and own helm+shoulder. That parts you get in Dome of Stars each 360might, 90 vita+fate, 800 crit.

There is a Class essence that increase your outgoing heal by 10% (fix) with an activation Chance done only by melee Crit.
    Not as good as it sounds, but still ok.
    [read the short threat about that: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...s-for-helping]
    Many thanks for the advice. Totally agree with you regarding might on shields etc.
    Am I right in assuming that HoH cappy cannot use to arms/war cry anymore and that is gated behind the LtC lines? Trait point permitting that is. Apologies for not looking this up in game, but I am at work hehe.

Keep the advice coming!

I am not sure about the Brother, but i have still 3 for each colour.
    To Arms, Inspire, an the "mouth". They differ a bit in icons.
    If you swap to an other Skill tree, the icons in panel will swap too.

The Crys can have different effects.
    The stun is in the yellow tree, the speedbuff in blue, or red? (not sure atm)
    You can take in addition functions from other trees by double costs. 2 points per rank.

Blue Cappies do indeed have access to To Arms and Song Brothers Call (which changes based on trait lines)
    I use sword and board to heal with for attack duration speed. You attack a bit faster with 1h.

Also def use might shield, never equip a minstrel shield lol.

Also, If you plan to tank sword and board you can dual purpose your sword and maybe even emblem depending on the legacies you select. I use the same sword to tank that I do to heal with.
    As far as gear. Supreme Might or Greater Might essences are the way to go for sure. Other than that Critical, and then mitigations/morale.

I will give some more pointers when I get back from work.
    High Treason

|Cuath-1 R11 Captain|

There are light might shields that drop, there is no need to use a will shield, that won't do much for a captain anyways.

There is some good info in this thread. Thanks folks.